• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 & XSX: Would you rather have Ray Tracing or Smooth 120FPS gaming?

Would you prefer Ray Racing or 120FPS?

• Total voters
I would figure that many of those opting for RT as the choice haven't actually played any games at 120fps.

I play every single one of my PC games, even games like Cities:Skylines and Worms, on my 55" LG TV's 1080p/120hz mode rather than opting for that crisp 4K picture. No graphics settings or effects compare to the responsiveness and fluidity of high frame rate gaming. Once you've become used to it, 60fps then feels and looks like a sluggish, stuttering mess that you used to associated with 30fps.

Ulysses 31

I would figure that many of those opting for RT as the choice haven't actually played any games at 120fps.

I play every single one of my PC games, even games like Cities:Skylines and Worms, on my 55" LG TV's 1080p/120hz mode rather than opting for that crisp 4K picture. No graphics settings or effects compare to the responsiveness and fluidity of high frame rate gaming. Once you've become used to it, 60fps then feels and looks like a sluggish, stuttering mess that you used to associated with 30fps.
Are you aware that the vast majority of PC games don't have RTX support and thus you'd be playing those games with higher fps anyway?

And it sounds like you're in dire need of a G-Sync monitor and turn on FastSync.

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
This forum and moderation is bias in favor of Sony Playstation fans ***at all times***. This IS SonyGAF.

If you’re not a Sony fanboy, do yourself a favor and enjoy gaming talk elsewhere where it’s not skewed by pseudo moderation. NeoGAF IS unfortunately a Playstation fanboy forum and you will be negatively targeted if you enjoy Xbox. You WILL be attacked by PS fanboys and PS fanboy moderation.

I hope that everyone can find a new place besides here where they can enjoy gaming talk or discussions in peace without being wrongly and negatively targeted if they’re not a PS fanboy.

I feel sorry for all of you that unfortunately found their way to this place, but sadly it is simply the way that it is here.

Get out now while you still can, otherwise I wish you all the best of luck.

Last edited:

xPikYx

You don't buy consoles for 120fps performance, but for great visuals at a cost, the cheap cost of a closed console environment over PC, so consoles should focus on visual and in this case show some decent ray tracing effect, at least in single player mode, in multiplayer mode you can cut off ray tracing for the sake of 60fps. If you want 120fps at all cost than you should go for PC and so spend some money for that

Woodchipper

120fps? Wtf? When did this happen?

We’ve barely reached stable 60fps @ 1080p this gen, but now all of a sudden you want 120fps @ 4K?

60fps is more than plenty, even for a racing game junkie like me, and I want ray tracing to be the big game changer next gen.

Mista

Banned
120fps? Wtf? When did this happen?

We’ve barely reached stable 60fps @ 1080p this gen, but now all of a sudden you want 120fps @ 4K?

60fps is more than plenty, even for a racing game junkie like me, and I want ray tracing to be the big game changer next gen.
Let us get locked 60fps first and then think of RTX being the big game changer next gen

Flintty

Is that full fat 120Hz or the TVs software doing whatever shit it does for ‘smooth motion’? If it’s the former, then great and hopefully it will become standard soon. If it’s the latter... there’s a reason ‘Game Mode’ disables that shit.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Ray Tracing.

I don't need 120FPS. I can play games perfectly fine at 30FPS so if it's just double at 60FPS locked, even better. Give me all that visual greatness next gen!!!

Kagero

So this is essentially graphics or performance. Graphics all day errr day for me. It’s why I look forward to new consoles. As long as it doesn’t dip below 30 for single player and 60 for competitive I’m good.

Ulysses 31

Is that full fat 120Hz or the TVs software doing whatever shit it does for ‘smooth motion’? If it’s the former, then great and hopefully it will become standard soon. If it’s the latter... there’s a reason ‘Game Mode’ disables that shit.
Good thing Samsung allows it back on in a limited form to greatly reduce stutter/judder from 30 fps games. :lollipop_grinning:

Butz

Banned
PC is always going to be the future of gaming. How is competing with the superior version of gaming seen as a bad thing? I think PC gamers know a lot more about what we would want to expect out of future console hardware much more than casual console gamers that don’t really understand the trade offs.

Competing against PC is stupid because a PC can do way more than just play video games.
Developers focusing on 120FPS on consoles wouldn't be competing with PC, it would just hold everything back because if you want high FPS you can already get it on PC - alongside great visuals - while you'd have bad visuals on consoles.
And I am a PC gamer, btw.

Grinchy

Banned
I love high framerate, but it's time we move on. Ray tracing is the jump we need. Like the jump from 2D to 3D, there was a performance cost at first, but it needed to happen.

Either that, or we should have traded performance for destrucitiblity/deformation/physical interaction and made that more standard already.

Ulysses 31

I once accidentally left it on when playing Overwatch on the X. It was insane - it felt like the controller had a mind of its own 🙈
How old is your TV? My 2016 OLED had considerable lag if I used trumotion. My 2019 Samsung plays fine with motion plus outside gamemode. 🥂

Roberts

As someone who has abandoned pc gaming 10 years ago, I'm really excited to see how RTX looks. Some of my favorite games run on 30 fps, so framerate is really not a priority.

Flintty

How old is your TV? My 2016 OLED had considerable lag if I used trumotion. My 2019 Samsung plays fine with motion plus outside gamemode. 🥂

It's a 2018 Panasonic. It's not OLED though, I went mid-range, which is probably part of the problem!

Pallas

Performance over glamour please, I can enjoy a game if it’s not the most realistic game around but it’s a drag and sometimes an unpleasant experience of the game has technical issues or is bogged down in the FPS department.

Granted 30FPS at a minimum is ok for some games but why would I ever turn down 120FPS? Shit I’d love 60FPS across the board.

Housh

Since I play consoles on regular TVs. 120fps wouldn't matter. RTX locked at 60fps would be great.

JAMMA

This forum and moderation is bias in favor of Sony Playstation fans ***at all times***. This IS SonyGAF.

If you’re not a Sony fanboy, do yourself a favor and enjoy gaming talk elsewhere where it’s not skewed by pseudo moderation. NeoGAF IS unfortunately a Playstation fanboy forum and you will be negatively targeted if you enjoy Xbox. You WILL be attacked by PS fanboys and PS fanboy moderation.

I hope that everyone can find a new place besides here where they can enjoy gaming talk or discussions in peace without being wrongly and negatively targeted if they’re not a PS fanboy.

I feel sorry for all of you that unfortunately found their way to this place, but sadly it is simply the way that it is here.

Last edited:
Is that full fat 120Hz or the TVs software doing whatever shit it does for ‘smooth motion’? If it’s the former, then great and hopefully it will become standard soon. If it’s the latter... there’s a reason ‘Game Mode’ disables that shit

Native and this is a 2017 model, some TV's have supported this for quite a while now.

RoJZiCA.jpg

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
While I do love some high framerates I chose ray tracing only because it is in its infancy and needs to start somewhere and I think now is a good time! I would rather have 1080p @ 60fps with RT more than anything else, I know people are going to throw stones at me, but with ray tracing it is going to make game development easier and faster since developers will no longer have to deal with shadow maps, etc. like they do now...it is a painful step starting off with it, but once it gets going and hardware gets faster it will be amazing down the road. I can't look forward to what developers do over the next 5-7 years with these next gen systems!
1080p/60? What is this? The dark ages?

Choosing framerate is advocating for choice.
Between RTC and framerate, which do you think developers will be mandated to prioritize by default?
Mandated? I don't think they are mandated to do either. Phil has already dictated that developers are not held to any features, however, I'm not sure if Sony has mentioned anything. That being said, if they can achieve some amount of Ray Tracing at 120FPS they will. But it really depends on the type of game the developers are creating. Chances are AAA will take full advantage of system features at 60fps, whereas third-party will most likely see the benefit of 120fps for some titles such as R6 Seige.

Last edited:

FranXico

Mandated? I don't think they are mandated to do either. Phil has already dictated that developers are not held to any features, however, I'm not sure if Sony has mentioned anything. That being said, if they can achieve some amount of Ray Tracing at 120FPS they will. But it really depends on the type of game the developers are creating. Chances are AAA will take full advantage of system features at 60fps, whereas third-party will most likely see the benefit of 120fps for some titles such as R6 Seige.
Publishers are always going to choose extra shine over framerate.

Chromata

I'd rather have ray tracing but that's because I'm a PC gamer. I want consoles to push graphical boundaries and not hold PC back so much. I can always just play 120fps on my PC.

GermanZepp

i can make my peace with 30pfs if the gameplay looks this shiny. Otherwise frame rate always priority.

Last edited:

JAMMA

Last edited:

sdrawkcab

Banned
The thing about RTX is, after 5 mins, you won't notice it. The novelty is very, very short-lived.

A smoother, more responsive gaming experience is something you appreciate throughout the entire game, and every time you fire it up.

The thing about RTX is, after 5 mins, you won't notice it. The novelty is very, very short-lived.

A smoother, more responsive gaming experience is something you appreciate throughout the entire game, and every time you fire it up.

You have to remember that RT is still in its infancy right now, but down the road once developers wrap their head around it more we will see some amazing things that just wouldn't be possible without it. It also makes the programmers lives easier since they don't have to deal with all the pre-baked lighting and shadow maps, so it is not all just about having better eye candy. Just look how much it changes Minecraft, you can't say you won't notice that after 5 minutes.

Top Bottom