• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5's SSD in action is a game changer

Dr Bass

We needed 4 decades to achieve Atari 2600 loading times.....

Given that the Atari 2600 had 128 bytes of ram and the PS5 has 16 gigabytes, I wonder how long you need to play a single PS5 game before it's loaded more into its own memory than every Atari 2600 that was ever played over the entire course of history.

In a game like Ratchet it might actually be just a couple minutes (or less depending on how much is being changed out in those world jumps) if you do the math ...

how is the PS5 SSD going to work with expandable memory? LIke if you plug in an external for additional space how is that going to affect the loadtimes in something like Spiderman where there isnt even a transition screen?

-Arcadia-

Banned
how is the PS5 SSD going to work with expandable memory? LIke if you plug in an external for additional space how is that going to affect the loadtimes in something like Spiderman where there isnt even a transition screen?

It just... won’t, for PS5 games, to my understanding. Not unless the added memory is fast enough, and given the restrictions of USB speed, it likely needs to be internal only as well.

GymWolf

Why nba2k21 graphic is so much superior to any EA sport games??

That blonde journalist that appear for 3 seconda looks better than any female fighters on ufc4 ffs...

How can you have such a worse graphic when you only have to render 2 fucking fighters instead of a dozens of players+ other things??

Last edited:
and doesn’t seem quite real.

Freaking hell so it's a fake demonstration then.

Dang you Sony have you no shame?

giphy.gif

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Definitely know what you mean especially with having to deal with long loads on the PS4. Seeing this in action seems like it's fake. But it's very much real and I believe some of us are shook because we are used to these slow HDDs on the previous consoles.

It just... won’t, for PS5 games, to my understanding. Not unless the added memory is fast enough, and given the restrictions of USB speed, it likely needs to be internal only as well.

I think this is one of the biggest things that needs to be addressed (if it hasnt been already somewhere). The SSD is simply too small for current gen games let alone next gen games that will consume even more HDD space. There has to be an option to expand.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I would agree with you if PS4 games with updates aren't loading super fast as well. So I doubt its as much of the SSD as it is new software written,

But again I want to wait to see real reviews and real comparisons before making claims.

MastaKiiLA

I would agree with you if PS4 games with updates aren't loading super fast as well. So I doubt its as much of the SSD as it is new software written,

But again I want to wait to see real reviews and real comparisons before making claims.
Some games can be streamlined, and they're not new games, they're games already released. 5 years from now, they can probably optimize loading in launch PS5 games as well. NBA2k21 won't load this quickly on the PS4. Not a snowball's chance in hell. I doubt it will load this quickly on my 970 Evo+. The PS5 drive is simply faster.

I think this is one of the biggest things that needs to be addressed (if it hasnt been already somewhere). The SSD is simply too small for current gen games let alone next gen games that will consume even more HDD space. There has to be an option to expand.
There's an expansion bay for approved NVME drives. This was known long before the teardown.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

You can install an additional SSD in the console, which can be used for PS5 games. You can also plug in an HDD (or SSD) via USB, but from that you can only play PS4 games. Way too slow for PS5 games.

All this has been known for a long time. What needs to be addressed?

Is the PS5 SSD faster than the Xbox Series X or should we expect the same amazing short load times on both?

The PS5 SSD is more than twice as fast, and the PS5 also has more dedicated I/O hardware built in to fully utilize the speed. The difference will be noticeable.

Last edited:

BigLee74

It’s just one example, but Dirt 5 doesn’t seem to showcase load times anywhere near this small.

I feel like where Microsoft is going to likely lead in performance, Sony is going to likely lead in load times.

Let's wait until we have a like for like load!

You can't compare a load time from XSX Dirt 5 to PS5 NBA, and arrive at any meaningful conclusion.

Even on the XSX, the gymkhana stages in Dirt 5 load pretty much instantaneously, compared to 10-15 seconds for a proper track.

Soon I guess!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is not accurate. Not yet at least.

Yes, the console has not been released yet, so you're right, you can't yet.

I know you're referring to the fact that there are no approved SSDs to buy yet, but that will come shortly I'm sure.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

You can't compare a load time from XSX Dirt 5 to PS5 NBA, and arrive at any meaningful conclusion.

Even on the XSX, the gymkhana stages in Dirt 5 load pretty much instantaneously, compared to 10-15 seconds for a proper track.

Soon I guess!

Yeah, that’ll be telling.

Just for the moment, the only data we have shows multiple PS5 games of different genres and styles, almost *not* loading, they’re so fast, versus 12-15 seconds on the popular Series X example.

What I’m curious about is Gears 5. I didn’t catch the loads in that, and I’d like to see how another Series X optimized game is performing, especially first party. I’ll have to look at that footage later.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Just for the moment, the only data we have shows multiple PS5 games of different genres and styles, almost *not* loading, they’re so fast, versus 12-15 seconds on the popular Series X example.

What I’m curious about is Gears 5. I didn’t catch the loads in that, and I’d like to see how another Series X optimized game is performing, especially first party. I’ll have to look at that footage later.
How fast do you think the new Bethesda games will load on the Ps5, their games usually take forever to load...oh nvrmind.

2k make the WWE games now right? That should be pretty impressive visually this time next year especially if it isn’t cross gen.
The 2K games are trash in just about every single way. Did you not see the threads on their last game?

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankWza

Yes, the console has not been released yet, so you're right, you can't yet.

I know you're referring to the fact that there are no approved SSDs to buy yet, but that will come shortly I'm sure.

more to do with no SSDs fast enough that you can purchase yet.

Papacheeks

Banned

Soon I guess!

Go watch the video on DMC5:SE shows PS5 BEATING a PC in load times by a ton. We've seen quick resume takes like 15+ seconds. There's a reason we haven't seen a ton of next gen stuff from xbox. And thats because it will show how much slower their SSD solution is.

Once the flood gates open, we will see more third party games just in general loading faster on PS5.

Last edited:
Is the PS5 SSD faster than the Xbox Series X or should we expect the same amazing short load times on both?
So far the loading times seems to be in line with the reported specs... 2 or 3 times faster on ps5, demos show around 6 to 20 seconds on series x (going from memory) to nothing and 2 seconds on ps5.

And patched PS4 games load as fast as Xbox Series X games for some reason 🤣.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
How fast do you think the new Bethesda games will load on the Ps5, their games usually take forever to load...oh nvrmind.

The 2K games are trash in just about every single way. Did you not see the threads on their last game?

Yeah but they’re missing this year for next years game so it should be much better. From what I’ve read it was the publishers fault forcing the developers to rush a game out for last Xmas. I just wasn’t sure it was 2K I just remember THQ lost the rights.

Apart from having a much faster SSD, the PS5 also has a shitload of custom IO hardware optimization and insane compression/decompression algorithms which could (should) make the loading, asset streaming and much more a lot faster, if implemented. Time will tell though how the real-world performance is, but it looks extremely promising.

Adding together what Mark Cerny has said with rumors and testimonies from developers, along with what we've seen in the Unreal 5 engine demo, I don't doubt that the PS5 will leave the XSX far behind in this regard.

I've also noticed that I/O demonstrations has been pretty selective on both platforms. In general we see examples of the I/O with Next Gen games on the PS5 while the XSX used BC and Quick Resume in their demonstrations.

Its going to be interesting to see games running side by side on the two platforms.

Edit: R.I.P pawel86ck pawel86ck since he was looking forward to the comparisons.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Apart from having a much faster SSD, the PS5 also has a shitload of custom IO hardware optimization and insane compression/decompression algorithms which could (should) make the loading, asset streaming and much more a lot faster, if implemented. Time will tell though how the real-world performance is, but it looks extremely promising.

Adding together what Mark Cerny has said with rumors and testimonies from developers, along with what we've seen in the Unreal 5 engine demo, I don't doubt that the PS5 will leave the XSX far behind in this regard.

The custom I/O solution they have along with dedicated decompressing chip actually are all hardware based. As in there is not programming needed to use the read/write speed of game data. Such as installing/loading a game.

The optimizations are for if your going to use it as a memory pool to stream in level assets. Like scaling a open world game with everything loaded. Some of that has to be optimized but Insomniac said there was very little they had to do for Spiderman:MM. While there were some custom level shenanigan's they did for Ratchet.

But it wasn't like it was super involved from what I've heard because it's pretty much 100% a hardware solution and not software like Microsoft is doing.

BigLee74

Go watch the video on DMC5:SE shows PS5 BEATING a PC in load times by a ton. We've seen quick resume takes like 15+ seconds. There's a reason we haven't seen a ton of next gen stuff from xbox. And thats because it will show how much slower their SSD solution is.

Once the flood gates open, we will see more third party games just in general loading faster on PS5.

Could quite easily spin that the other way...

... there is a reason we haven't seen a back compat load on the PS5, and that's because the load times on PS5 will be longer than 2 seconds (game not designed to take advantage), and maybe they're in the XSX ballpark?

As said, we won't know until we get a like for like.

Unbelievable that we haven't seen the same game on both systems yet!

The custom I/O solution they have along with dedicated decompressing chip actually are all hardware based. As in there is not programming needed to use the read/write speed of game data. Such as installing/loading a game.

The optimizations are for if your going to use it as a memory pool to stream in level assets. Like scaling a open world game with everything loaded. Some of that has to be optimized but Insomniac said there was very little they had to do for Spiderman:MM. While there were some custom level shenanigan's they did for Ratchet.

But it wasn't like it was super involved from what I've heard because it's pretty much 100% a hardware solution and not software like Microsoft is doing.

I remember Cerny said that all a developer has to do is ask for the data. That's literally it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I've also noticed that I/O demonstrations has been pretty selective on both platforms. In general we see examples of the I/O with Next Gen games on the PS5 while the XSX used BC and Quick Resume in their demonstrations.

Its going to be interesting to see games running side by side on the two platforms.

To be honest, I’m not that impressed by Quick Resume either. While it’s a paradigm shift from current gen, in terms of speed, I somehow... expected more? It still feels like a load time, like it still takes a while to start up. That’s my impression of Series X load times in general.

But yeah. I’m fascinated to see how they stack up. Just in general as well. Lovely to have two incredibly talented, world-class hardware designers battling for our attention, with interesting, different approaches. It should be quite a lot of food for thought.

Last edited:

Bankai

Damn..! That's Spiderman loading time REALLY is a game-changer. Going from a loading-screen (PS4) to actually instant loading and playing, after zipping through a hole (PS5).

That's impressive :messenger_bicep: and feels next-gen to me.

To be honest, I’m not that impressed by Quick Resume either. While it’s a paradigm shift from current gen, in terms of speed, I somehow... expected more? It still feels like a load time, like it still takes a while to start up. That’s my impression of Series X load times in general.

But yeah. I’m fascinated to see how they stack up. Just in general as well. Lovely to have two incredibly talented, world-class hardware designers battling for our attention, with interesting, different approaches. It should be quite a lot of food for thought.

For me if the I/O is fast enough than quick resume isn't really necessary for me. Like if I can just save a game and load it in two seconds that's perfectly fine with me.

Top Bottom