• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS6 with the same RTX 4090 power?

It will be more powerful. Assuming 2028 launch and 2nm it should beat the 4090, even at ray tracing.

PS5 Pro is apparently going to have significant leaps in AMD RT capabilities and that is out next year.
Ecx4Udx.gif

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
it's coming out by the end of the 2020s. Even AMD hardware should've easily surpassed what we have now by then.

Plus, with more and more AI and raytracing becoming common in games, the fire's getting lit up under AMD's ass to start investing more in those efforts, especially with Intel not too far behind. There's no way they're still going to be pure raster in 2028.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Go back to 2 to 3 years of what is a 60 super / 70 series .

Let's say it's 6090 by 2028 ? Ps6 will be a 5070 level give or take

The ps5 is not as powerful as 2080ti ( which is what you might consider a 4090 at that time ) . So no the ps 6 won't beat it.

However there are other things to consider. Newer technology to be added that might not be available in the 4090 when that times comes.

However knowing AMD, don't count on it . I think at this point switch 2 with DLSS will look better Most series S games.
AMD just sucks and MS and Sony uses them because they are cheap.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Not thinking the PS6 will be more powerful then a card 6 years older then it seems pretty dumb to me.

Yeah, AMD is just sandbagging with their top of the line $1000+ GPUs. It’s a strategic move to keep their market share in the gutter.
I suppose 6 years in the future means nothing to you?

Claiming AMD won't catch up over such a time frame is like claiming that when the GeForce 980ti launched that there is no way the PS5 will be able to beat it, or AMD won't catch up in something like tesselation (which they used to be massively behind Nvidia as well).

Again, 6 years further GPU development and 2 extra die shrinks will help a lot.

JMarcell

Kinda makes sense since PS6 (and also the next Xbox) is rumored to be released around 2028. By then a console with a custom AMD APU with 4090-like power will be feasible with a price tag between U$500-U$600.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: amc

Perrott

RX 10600 XT RDNA 4.5 1nm
RDNA 4.5?

RNDA 4 is releasing next holidays, as a mid-end lineup of GPUs. RDNA 4.5 would be something used by a piece of hardware releasing in 2025 or early 2026 (maybe the Steam Deck 2).

The PS5 is coming out in 2028, it'd be RDNA 6 or maybe even the first or second gen of an entirely new AMD graphics architecture.

Zathalus

By 2028 ray tracing will be yesterday’s news. We’ll have moved onto something new.
At least Nvidia owners will have.
Ray/Path tracing is currently the end game. There is nothing new, unless you consider AI generated visuals the future, but that is way off for any consumer level GPU.

Unless something drastic happens, it's almost certain that Nvidia will lead AMD in RT and AI in 2028. But we are not comparing AMD 2028 vs a 6090/7090, this thread is asking AMD 2028 vs the 4090.

Bojji

Based on PS4 launch:

In 2013 consoles launched - 2 years later top GPU was GTX980ti that was 3x faster than 7850 in PS4:

Pc5T3Ae.png

PS5 launched in 2020 and was noticeable faster than 980ti:

aK7a3DC.jpg

2 years later 4090 launches and is ~3x faster than equivalent to PS5 GPU:

BluiCML.jpg

So yeah if PS6 launches in 2027 it will be faster than 4090.

Loxus

Kind of hard to gage AMD performance in 2028 this far out.

But came across this article based on one of Red Gaming Tech's videos.
PlayStation 6 May Feature Ray Tracing Reconstruction Tech; Path Tracing in Games Will Not Be Uncommon

According to rumors coming from multiple sources, Sony is considering a chiplet design, which AMD already employs in some non-gaming products. The Japanese company is seemingly also looking into some type of large cache that would help developers deal with compute and mixed CPU, GPU workloads, as the console is likely going to use GDDR7 memory, whose latency could be a concern for the console's CPU.

While the PlayStation 6 specs have yet to be finalized, we already have a good indication of Sony's focuses for its next-generation system: generative AI and ray tracing improvements. The major focus on generative AI could be a massive game changer for all sorts of games, creating more interactive and immersive experiences even in single-player titles. Regarding ray tracing, which will already see a performance bump with the yet-to-be-announced PlayStation 5 Pro, Sony is seemingly working on implementing some sort of ray tracing reconstruction tech, which they already talked about during a recent presentation. While this presentation was mostly focused on movies, the Japanese company also showed the PlayStation logo and talked about gaming, further reinforcing how ray tracing will be important in the future of console gaming.

AMD plans to have a full chiplet future.
tBSS9nc.png
OmQLP3D.png

I can see the PS6 being chiplet, with the 3rd party chiplet being the SSD controller.

A down scale custom version of the Mi300A with two or more GPU chiplets.
hdSq9dQ.png

Hopefully by then, one stack of HBM 3 is affordable enough for consoles.
The latency benefits is so much better for the CPU, than GDDR7.

HighPoly

Banned
Kind of hard to gage AMD performance in 2028 this far out.

But came across this article based on one of Red Gaming Tech's videos.
PlayStation 6 May Feature Ray Tracing Reconstruction Tech; Path Tracing in Games Will Not Be Uncommon

According to rumors coming from multiple sources, Sony is considering a chiplet design, which AMD already employs in some non-gaming products. The Japanese company is seemingly also looking into some type of large cache that would help developers deal with compute and mixed CPU, GPU workloads, as the console is likely going to use GDDR7 memory, whose latency could be a concern for the console's CPU.

While the PlayStation 6 specs have yet to be finalized, we already have a good indication of Sony's focuses for its next-generation system: generative AI and ray tracing improvements. The major focus on generative AI could be a massive game changer for all sorts of games, creating more interactive and immersive experiences even in single-player titles. Regarding ray tracing, which will already see a performance bump with the yet-to-be-announced PlayStation 5 Pro, Sony is seemingly working on implementing some sort of ray tracing reconstruction tech, which they already talked about during a recent presentation. While this presentation was mostly focused on movies, the Japanese company also showed the PlayStation logo and talked about gaming, further reinforcing how ray tracing will be important in the future of console gaming.

AMD plans to have a full chiplet future.
tBSS9nc.png
OmQLP3D.png

I can see the PS6 being chiplet, with the 3rd party chiplet being the SSD controller.

A down scale custom version of the Mi300A with two or more GPU chiplets.
hdSq9dQ.png

Hopefully by then, one stack of HBM 3 is affordable enough for consoles.
The latency benefits is so much better for the CPU, than GDDR7.

I hope PS6 release a higher jump than PS4 to PS5 transition!!!

I mean, using the UE5 limits and maybe the beginning of UE6!!

Buggy Loop

it's coming out by the end of the 2020s. Even AMD hardware should've easily surpassed what we have now by then.

Plus, with more and more AI and raytracing becoming common in games, the fire's getting lit up under AMD's ass to start investing more in those efforts, especially with Intel not too far behind. There's no way they're still going to be pure raster in 2028.

I have a feeling if they keep the hybrid setup it’ll still struggle with path tracing even compared to a 4090.

Yes they better wake the fuck up, Intel’s around the corner ready for blows

Intel might even be a good contender for an APU next gen if one of the console manufacturer wants an edge against the one picking AMD.

MikeM

3 years into the PS4 generation the 1080ti was the most powerful GPU. PS5 gets around that or slightly better from what I understand about older GPUs.

Its entirely probable that the PS6 will be on par if not exceed the 4090.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
3 years into the PS4 generation the 1080ti was the most powerful GPU. PS5 gets around that or slightly better from what I understand about older GPUs.

Its entirely probable that the PS6 will be on par if not exceed the 4090.

So may I believe the graphical jump between PS5 and PS6 will be higher than PS4 to PS5 ???

Please!!! Say I'm righ!!!

onQ123

We will be in the data driven era the flops will not matter so much

Get some Processing in memory going on & we will see a big leap in gaming.

Klik

Considering that current gen games barely started to be released i can definitely see next gen coming in 2029-2030.

By then somthing like RTX 7xxx series will come out with 150 TF+

MikeM

So may I believe the graphical jump between PS5 and PS6 will be higher than PS4 to PS5 ???

Please!!! Say I'm righ!!!
It depends on factors besides pure GPU power. What about RAM for better textures? What about pixel fill rate? FSR4? Bandwidth? Then it depends on how devs use that.

HighPoly

Banned
It depends on factors besides pure GPU power. What about RAM for better textures? What about pixel fill rate? FSR4? Bandwidth? Then it depends on how devs use that.
Well, just a little bit higher than PS4 to PS5, maybe?

I mean, at least something around PS3 to PS4?

Well, maybe two or three times more poligonal density, I mean, in the world, NPCs, Characters...
I don't know if PS4 was able to render 3x increase, but games at the end of the gen looked fantastc!

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It will be more powerful. Assuming 2028 launch and 2nm it should beat the 4090, even at ray tracing.

PS5 Pro is apparently going to have significant leaps in AMD RT capabilities and that is out next year.

This.

PS6 needs to launch with a 6090 equivalent at the very least. I want all PS6 games to be minimum 4K, 120fps and full path tracing.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
PS6 will be released in 2028 and will have similar power to an RTX 6070-6080 that will be released in 2026.
No it won't be on the level of a fucking 6080 lmao. It should be faster than a 4090 with a significantly more advanced feature set though.

And no, the 60 series will not release in 2026. It will release in 2027 at the earliest, especially with very credible sources claiming the 50 series will come out in early 2025.

amigastar

A 4090 will probably be the same speed at first with PS6 or the PS6 will be faster but later down the road the capabilities will set the PS6 apart from a 4090.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
This.

PS6 needs to launch with a 6090 equivalent at the very least. I want all PS6 games to be minimum 4K, 120fps and full path tracing.

DLSS 4.0 or even 5.0 will launch and we don't need to render native resolutions anymore...

it's a waste of resources, so I prefer to render better geometry, animations, particles, lighting(Path Tracing).

I think the 4090 is a good metric to calculate the raw power of the next gen consoles...

Gaiff

It won't unless you think Sony wants to price it at $800.

Leonidas

It would be a joke if a 2028 console can't at least match the fastest 2022 GPU.

Last edited:

Aces High

Doesn't matter how powerful it is on paper.

PS6 games will look much better than anything running on RTX4090 this gen.

Roni

Gold Member
I think threads like these are important on NeoGAF, without them we'd have nothing to point to when people claim Sony doesn't have the upper hand in here.

OT: This is some wishful thinking...

Last edited:

Zathalus

I actually find it hilarious how people think the PS6 won't be more powerful then the 4090. It's launching around 6 years later and very likely on a node that is two die shrinks better.

The PS5 Pro is launching next year and appears to be around 80%+ faster then the PS5 with dedicated RT cores. The 4090 would thus not even be twice as powerful as a console launching next year. So is the assumption that the PS6 won't even be twice as powerful as the PS5 Pro?

I know a lot of people love PCMR nonsense, but use your brain.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Why RDNA4.5? In 2028 AMD will release RDNA6. Even if PS6 comes out at the earliest in 2027, it will be one year after RDNA5.

HighPoly

Banned
Yeah, probably. Graphics and engines will advance and make use of hardware much better.

Today perhaps some Sony studios are developing games for the next PlayStation!

Well, it seems realistic to me, because games are getting more than 5 years in development...

Like Red Dead Redemption 2 did... I don't think the hardware spec is the unique project by Mark Cerny...
I mean, the industry is changing and this current generation taught developers a lot!

Gamers don't want to waste their time waiting years to play newer ips, or sequels...

This current gent is totally delayed by covid pandemic... They don't want this to happen again!

rofif

Banned
ps4 was about 750ti in 2013.
So 3 years after that, in 2016, people would be saying - Will ps5 be the power of 1080ti.

And the answer is ? yes. Actually yes. Even a bit better considering rt tech and so on.

So we could expect ps6 to be 4080 super levels of power. not 4090 maybe

Zathalus

ps4 was about 750ti in 2013.
So 3 years after that, in 2016, people would be saying - Will ps5 be the power of 1080ti.

And the answer is ? yes. Actually yes. Even a bit better considering rt tech and so on.

So we could expect ps6 to be 4080 super levels of power. not 4090 maybe
1080ti only released in 2017. In terms of GPU release date the 4090 would be the 980ti.

Gaiff

1080ti only released in 2017. In terms of GPU release date the 4090 would be the 980ti.

2013 + 3 years is 1080 (not ti). IO missed that ti released in 2017

It's senseless to use years when GPU cycles compared to 2013 have doubled in length. New nodes and architectures are updated every 2 years now, not every year like in 2013.

September 2018: Turing
September 2020: Ampere
October 2022: Lovelace
Late 2024/Early 2025: Blackwell (RTX 50 series)
Late 2026/Early 2027: RTX 60 series

Apparently, Blackwell will be 2025, so over 24 months. AMD is very much in the same boat. If the PS6 comes out in late 2027/early 2028, it will likely be based on RDNA 5 which will compete with the RTX 60 series.

HighPoly

Banned
It's senseless to use years when GPU cycles compared to 2013 have doubled in length. New nodes and architectures are updated every 2 years now, not every year like in 2013.

September 2018: Turing
September 2020: Ampere
October 2022: Lovelace
Late 2024/Early 2025: Blackwell (RTX 50 series)
Late 2026/Early 2027: RTX 60 series

Apparently, Blackwell will be 2025, so over 24 months. AMD is very much in the same boat. If the PS6 comes out in late 2027/early 2028, it will likely be based on RDNA 5 which will compete with the RTX 60 series.
All I want to know IS :

Will be a higher jump than PS4 to PS5 graphically speaking???

Top Bottom