• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSGroove - A variety of options for jailbreaking, and new homebrew all the time

evanft

Got my dongle from Volumerates today. It's really tiny. It seems like I got the latest payload to flash using the instructions from earlier. I can install PSN games and some games launch without a disc in the system, though some don't. I can't get game updates to work, though. Anyone else have a similar problem?

A couple of new homebrew games have been released:

Don't Get Crushed (which is a port of a Wii homebrew game):
wYPrf.jpg

http://psgroove.com/?p=2016

And also Spin Pong:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jYaX6Gnr1Y
http://psgroove.com/?p=2013

Finally there's a java app that shows all of the current apps available for jailbroken PS3s. This thing could be dodgy so I certainly wouldn't allow it access to my machine or use it to actually download anything, but as a simple list of apps it seems pretty good. Use with caution I guess:
http://www.ps3-hacks.com/ps3-homebrew-manager/

androvsky

kpop100 said:
Huh? The PS3 has no problem with 1080p playback of other movie formats/containers. Why would MKV or any other video playback an XBMC would introduce be any different?

XBMC, last I checked, uses ffmpeg for video playback. And again, last I checked, ffmpeg has absolutely zero Cell optimizations. That means the entire burden of video decoding is on the PPC, and from personal experience on PS3's linux, it's nowhere near fast enough for 1080p video. Adding RSX support really doesn't do anything (color space conversion was already available for the SPUs).

Adding Cell support for h.264 isn't easy, or it would've happened in the years that linux was available on the PS3.

Now, if someone finds a way to use Sony's video libraries in XBMC, then there's no problem. Don't know if they're part of any of the leaked SDKs or not.

jediyoshi

evanft said:
Got my dongle from Volumerates today. It's really tiny. It seems like I got the latest payload to flash using the instructions from earlier. I can install PSN games and some games launch with a disc in the system, though some don't. I can't get game updates to work, though. Anyone else have a similar problem?

What did you get specifically? Impossible to diagnose without knowing the actual payload you're using.

N.A

Banned
A new version of Mednafen-PS3 is out that now supports Lynx, NeoGeo Pocket, WonderSwan and PC-Engine cards (Not CDs yet). (It already supported SMS, NES, GB, GBC, GBA).

onken

kpop100 said:
Huh? The PS3 has no problem with 1080p playback of other movie formats/containers. Why would MKV or any other video playback an XBMC would introduce be any different?

Yeah, in XMB it can, that's with mad optimizations and a low OS footprint. Open source implementation written by people in their free time with no documentation? I'm less confident.

Having said that, I'm sure a decent open media player will come along eventually, I was referring to using it an actual operating system, Firefox, Office etc.

yurinka

Mr_Brit said:
So what exactly happened to the PSP port of this that was supposed to come out?
It was almost done, but they found a technical issue really difficult to solve. They stopped the 2 projects that were trying to do it.

Metalmurphy said:
IIRC it became pretty apparent the guy was full of it and was just looking for donations.
This would be a scammer. The main project was an open source project in ElOtroLado Spanish forums. They didn't ask for donations.

evanft

jediyoshi said:
What did you get specifically? Impossible to diagnose without knowing the actual payload you're using.

Woopsie. It's a clone of the PSJailbreak, so I'm 99% sure it shipped with the original JB payload. I used the method outlined before to updates it to Hermes v4b for Maximus AVR AT90usb162 16 mhz. I'm positive the update worked because I can do the following:

• Play some games without a disc in the system.
  • Install PSN games in JB mode
  • Remove the dongle after the system has been jailbroken

I believe none of those things were possible with the PSJailbreak payload. The only problem I have now is that I can't install game updates. I get an error message every time I try.

N.A

Banned
From memory these are ones that are useful:

File Management:
Blackbox FTP Server
Comgenie's Awesome File Manager

Emulators:
SNES9x-PS3
FCEU-PS3 (NES)
Mednafen-PS3 (NES, SMS, GG, GB, GBC, GBA, PC Engine, Lynx)
ScummVM

Linux:
AsbestOS (Original Payload Version)
AsbestOS Launcher (Launch straight from XMB)

Plus some basic homebrew games.

-MB-

Sew said:
FBA will be sweet. For some reason I've enjoyed SNES on the PS3 more than any other system (apart from the original hardware of course) so I'm looking forward to more. Need to pick up another controller for multiplayer!

You obviously didn't try it on a Wii with a Super famicom classic pad, plays like the original :)

N.A

Banned
There has been loads of progress on AsbestOS over the last couple of days:

From marcan's twitter:
# Replaced LZO1X compression with LZMA, 25% size reduction (40K -> 30K or so). 36 minutes ago via Choqok

# @KaKaRoToKS nope, DVD apparently needs something extra. It just returns ATAPI errors. 37 minutes ago via Choqok in reply to KaKaRoToKS

# Looks like the Linux drivers for HDD/Flash can't handle more than one region, I'll have to add that in. about 7 hours ago via Choqok

# Fixed PS3 storage stuff (haven't pushed yet, need to make sure it's safe). DVD/HDD/Flash now work. about 7 hours ago via Choqok

# @shuffle2 is that a remote KDE session on the PS3 on top of a local GNOME Ubuntu session? Are you insane? :p about 10 hours ago via Choqok in reply to shuffle2

# @marlencrabapple it should be able to run 1080p great *once drivers have been written*. Until then, no real change. about 14 hours ago via Choqok in reply to marlencrabapple

# Once AsbestOS is user-friendly enough to not require netboot stuff, *then* I'll take the time to build a Ubuntu kernel and post an image ;) about 15 hours ago via Choqok

# In other words: except for the lack of usable internal HDD access, AsbestOS works just as well as OtherOS for pretty much all purposes. about 15 hours ago via Choqok

# There's just more important stuff to work on, like USB booting so people don't need to set up a network boot environment. about 15 hours ago via Choqok

# In other words, if I bothered to set it up, I could make Ubuntu/whatever run on AsbestOS today. about 15 hours ago via Choqok

# People keep thinking that somehow there's "something" to do before GUI works. There isn't, I just haven't bothered to install Xorg. about 15 hours ago via Choqok

# Fixed the Linux memory, framebuffer mem limit (720p works), threads-max and all that nonsense. Use latest ps3-linux.git & asbestos.git! 9:10 PM Oct 29th via Choqok

# Goodbye dtbImage.ps3, hello vmlinux. Note: from now on you *MUST* use the patched kernel from http://is.gd/gtmrZ . See README for details. 8:19 PM Oct 29th via Choqok

evanft

evanft said:
Lemme give that a shot. What's the latest and greatest version of that one?

Tried using PL3. Game updates still don't work. Oddly enough I can install them in non-JB mode no problem, but then I can't run the game without it telling me to insert the disc in JB mode.

Not really sure if this is related to your case at all..

PSGroove.com said:
We recently received an email from the PS3Key team that contained some unfortunate news. It seems a small group of PS3Keys were sent out with the wrong bootloader. The affected batch have the following range of serials 1001 0300 0000-x and 1001 0300 0999-x. If you possess one of these chips, with the affected serial, the PS3Key team urge you to contact your retailer for a replacement. If you have an affected chip you may want to check out the complete announcement after the jump.

ps3keyrecall1-300x137.jpg

During a routine audit of our systems, it came to light that a small number of PS3Keys were sent out with an incorrect bootloader. If your PS3Key serial number is between 1001 0300 0000-x and 1001 0300 0999-x then you are affected. Please contact your point of sale who will be happy to exchange it for you.

We have already sent notifications to the distributors that we supplied this stock to, so their resellers should already be aware of their situation. If they are not, just send them a link to this news article. We have already provided our distributors new stock, so getting a replacement should be a very straightforward process.

If you have a PS3Key within the affected serial number range, you may not notice any abnormal activity. However, due to the problem with the bootloader on these particular dongles, unforeseen and unpredictable issues may occur in the future. Therefore, we encourage everyone with a PS3Key within this range to return it to their point of sale for replacement immediately.

We’d also like to stress that this issue is NOT a hardware-related issue but rather an issue related to the bootloader. However, because the bootloader is required to update PS3Key, it is not possible to release an update to replace the bootloader.

We’d like to apologize for any inconvenience that this issue causes anyone. We place the current and future reliability of PS3Key above all else which is why we decided to make this announcement.

Thank you for your continued support of PS3Key!

Oozinator

Banned
I live in a PAL country and I got an American launch 60GB PS3 with 3.41 firmware that won't read PAL movie DVDs, even the region free (aka region 0) unencrypted ones.

Is there currently any hack/homebrew to allow the playback of such dvds with the native PS3 dvd player ?

xero273

Oozinator said:
I live in a PAL country and I got an American launch 60GB PS3 with 3.41 firmware that won't read PAL movie DVDs, even the region free (aka region 0) unencrypted ones.

Is there currently any hack/homebrew to allow the playback of such dvds with the native PS3 dvd player ?

not yet

Is it known if there are teams working on stuff like region free blu-rays etc?

I'm sorry if it sounds harsh, but so far to me it seems like the actual homebrew results brought the hacked PS3s only back to the level of pre-geohot PS3s (while lacking the PSN stuff and added piracy capabilities). I know it has been just 2 months but wasn't the progress faster on the other consoles?

oh and:
something something new firmwares to be cracked something something end of October ?
*looks at calender*

xero273

uh don't know why ppl keep on believing the psjb team.... they couldn't even deliver on the promise of improved backup manager. last statement from psjb team is there is a delay due to legal issues or something. bunch of bs though

SolidusDave said:
Is it known if there are teams working on stuff like region free blu-rays etc?

I'm sorry if it sounds harsh, but so far to me it seems like the actual homebrew results brought the hacked PS3s only back to the level of pre-geohot PS3s (while lacking the PSN stuff and added piracy capabilities). I know it has been just 2 months but wasn't the progress faster on the other consoles?

THIS. I want region free. I want H246, MKV etc. At least port xbmc by now.

I don't mind ISOs for undubs, but that's about it.

I also want hacked PSN enabled (somehow).

yurinka

Considering their early state, the emus of 8-16bit systems run pretty well.
How about FinalBurn and ScummVm? Are they available? any gaffer checked them?
Last thing I heard is that they still didn't work properly.

Karish

Quick question. Do all games work without a disc in the drive? I'm thinking about getting a second PS3 to mess around with this stuff but it does not have a working disc drive.

Erebus

Blakero said:
Quick question. Do all games work without a disc in the drive? I'm thinking about getting a second PS3 to mess around with this stuff but it does not have a working disc drive.
From my experience, the majority requires disk in the drive to boot.

Shaneus

abstract alien said:
So have they started bootlegging games on this this thing for the masses? The op doesn't have very much info at all.
On what media? Majority of games are over 9gb and the prices of blank BR discs are still ridiculously high.

Sew

New Android app downloads the latest homebrew releases to your phone's SD. You then you plug your phone into PS3 as external storage to install.

http://psgroove.com/?p=2070

(It costs a dollar, because they're running their own homebrew server. Hopefully these guys put the money to good use and continue to develop it.)

ps3-brew-200x300.png

N.A

Banned
yurinka said:
Considering their early state, the emus of 8-16bit systems run pretty well.
How about FinalBurn and ScummVm? Are they available? any gaffer checked them?
Last thing I heard is that they still didn't work properly.

ScummVM is still buggy but most games are playable.

FinalBurn won't be out for a couple of weeks.

Sew said:
New Android app downloads the latest homebrew releases to your phone's SD. You then you plug your phone into PS3 as external storage to install.

http://psgroove.com/?p=2070

(It costs a dollar, because they're running their own homebrew server. Hopefully these guys put the money to good use and continue to develop it.)

ps3-brew-200x300.png

This is essentially just to update your release after you've jailbroken it, right?

With the newest releases, would I still need my device plugged in whenever I fire up the system?

Sew

^ It's not actually related to the jailbreaking process, it's just a convenient way of getting the latest homebrew releases. You'll still need to jailbreak on bootup as per your usual method.

If you've got a PC connected to your PS3 and you're using one of the existing (PC based) homebrew managers, then this app doesn't bring much to the table. But I don't, and I'm on the move Mon to Fri so it's handy to grab things on the fly.

Toby

I haven't kept up with this much. How far along is the Dreamcast emulator?
Also, can anyone recommend an updatable board to use? I guess a teensy would be best, I just don't know a reputable place to get it.

Sew

No further progress on DC, but the good news is Drk||Raziel now has a PS3 thanks to donations.

Can't help with board recommendations, sorry. I use my Dingoo. If I was buying a new JB device it would be a TI-84.

Toby

Sew said:
No further progress on DC, but the good news is Drk||Raziel now has a PS3 thanks to donations.

Can't help with board recommendations, sorry. I use my Dingoo. If I was buying a new JB device it would be a TI-84.
That is good news. Any particular reason you would get a TI? I could probably get one pretty cheap (~$20)
TY for the link Raptor, I will read up on that.

N.A

Banned
The latest version of Mednafen-PS3 (WIP-r60) supports Mega Drive/Genesis games. (No link because compiled with Official SDK)

xtop

well i finally broke down and updated to 3.50. had to have my netflix fix. and i assume the jailbreak team has gone silent as to why no jailbreak for 3.50 then? lol

Is it possible yet to play Heavy Rain with Move controls on a 3.41 JB PS3? I know we can install retail packages including updates so I'm hoping someone has gotten this up and running. Plus, there's supposed to be a move bundle on amazon today. Also would I need the controller at camera?

Top Bottom