• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metalmurphy said:
Just in case people missed it...

"All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken."

"Spokesmen for Wells Fargo & Co., American Express Co. and MasterCard Inc. said they were monitoring cardholder accounts and hadn’t seen unauthorized activity relating to Sony. "
It can't get much clearer than that.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Grampasso said:
Fuck you.
Just fuck you and your insane bullshits, I don't know how you're still being able to post here.
I had to come back home from the city where I work and probably will lose several work days (at least 300-400€) for this reason, so FUCK YOU.
while I feel bad for the inconvenience, it doesn't change the fact that anything/everything your bank said is still unsubstantiated. It's not a criticism or dig. It's saying that unless sony or the card companies DIRECTLY said to the public "sony informed the card companies to be on alert for fraud", everything else is secondhand and hearsay. I'm sorry for the inconvenience to you, but the operator telling you this information doesn't make it fact that sony said this stuff or that cards are being cloned, hence the information being rumor/unsubstantiated at best, FUD at worst.

params7

Banned
Psx-scene reporting on the sale of database. They are also saying the CVV numbers are included in the database too. Also hearing about some people where CC companies are calling them to replace their card.

Dizzy

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

"All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken."

"Spokesmen for Wells Fargo & Co., American Express Co. and MasterCard Inc. said they were monitoring cardholder accounts and hadn’t seen unauthorized activity relating to Sony. "
That's comforting. I think the only website I had with the same email and password was Facebok, everywhere else used my Gmail account.

Also, on my bank's website (Yorkshire Bank)

With any case of genuine fraud customers are covered against losses. There is no need for customers to contact us or cancel cards at this stage. We recommend that customers are extra vigilant in respect of additional emails, telephone calls or post they receive about this issue, as it is likely that they are bogus, and do not respond or provide any additional personal information. We also recommend customers who use the service monitor their accounts and notify us of any suspicious transactions on their accounts as soon as possible.

params7 said:
Psx-scene reporting on the sale of database. They are also saying the CVV numbers are included in the database too. Also hearing about some people where CC companies are calling them to replace their card.
Old, and fake list. CVV numbers can't be saved by Sony by requirement of the Credit Card companies. Some guy is probably trying to get some bucks of a fake list.

LiK

params7 said:
The CVV numbers? Not related to PSN since Sony doesn't even have those in their database. They don't store those numbers.

Edit: beaten

Majine

Banned
Kinda nervous. I would like to get a new card, but I'm going traveling in one week and would like to have a card for that.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Grampasso said:
Fuck you.
Just fuck you and your insane bullshits, I don't know how you're still being able to post here.
I had to come back home from the city where I work and probably will lose several work days (at least 300-400€) for this reason, so FUCK YOU.
Sounds like a problem with your bank.

Cards aren't being cloned.

Akkad

Banned
Isn't psx-scene one of the sites that promotes hacking and were championing the failoverflow guys and geohot? I would not believe anything from that site.

gcubed

Majine said:
Kinda nervous. I would like to get a new card, but I'm going traveling in one week and would like to have a card for that.

unfortunately if you are stuck in that situation you can either pay attention to your account, or you can usually have a new card expedited to you, at your cost of course.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
params7 said:

Every site is reporting anything these days. I've come to a point were I've stopped checking the latest "news" and am just waiting for the friggin PSN to come back online.

Corto

cjtiger300 said:
Sorry dude, but this sounds like FUD to me. Having dealt with identity theft and cc intrusions before, this just doesn't match up with my experiences. I will say that some banks jump the gun and cancel the cc's as soon as they think a company might have there financial info stolen. I seriously doubt your card was cloned.

This is also my personal experience too. On a previous incident with my CC (***********) my bank called the same morning there was some suspect activity with my card confirming if it was me that made that transaction. After I confirmed that it wasn't me they proceed to block the payment and issued me a new card. After that incident I use only virtual CC, pre paid cards on PSN or paypal on my online transactions.

RustyO

meppi said:
Hehe, that actually makes me wonder what my bank would consider strange activity on my part. :)

My bank froze my card, then called me about stange activity on it a couple of years ago when I moved house.

Seems the fact that I spent < $1,000 one weekend on household items, cutlery, pans, crockery, glasses etc caused the 'strange activity' flag to go off. :)

params7 said:

Yeah, this information about the CVV2 numbers could be bogus. The guys selling the DB could just be making it up.

Salaadin

RustyO said:
My bank froze my card, then called me about stange activity on it a couple of years ago when I moved house.

Seems the fact that I spent < $1,000 one weekend on household items, cutlery, pans, crockery, glasses etc caused the 'strange activity' flag to go off. :)

Happened to me on a credit card too. I use it only once or twice a year and decided to pay for my PC with it. They saw 2 large charges from newegg and amazon and called me to verify that it was ok. My first thought was "Theyre questioning newegg and amazon?!" but theyre only looking out for me so I cant complain.

LiK said:
No one should be using debit cards for online. :)

There covered well with most uk banks just as much as cc are. The whole shop poo incident my card got done a debit and my bank phoned me and it was all sorted.

meppi

RustyO said:

Well at least you didn't buy them all from seemingly random countries from all around the world. ;)
Have to say they quickly gotten used to my behavior though.
Yet they still caught that one intrusion which very reassuring.

gcubed

Corto said:
This is also my personal experience too. On a previous incident with my CC (***********) my bank called the same morning there was some suspect activity with my card confirming if it was me that made that transaction. After I confirmed that it wasn't me they proceed to block the payment and issued me a new card. After that incident I use only virtual CC, pre paid cards on PSN or paypal on my online transactions.

i've had this happen numerous times on my cc's. Which is why i have changed my habits to only using an actual CC on the internet, not a debit card. People can steal stuff from my account, its not my money. I usually get a call within a few hours if someone is using my card, all the charges are dropped and i get mailed a letter to sign saying it wasnt me... then i get a new one within a few days

Salaadin

supermackem said:
There covered well with most uk banks just as much as cc are. The whole shop poo incident my card got done a debit and my bank phoned me and it was all sorted.

My bank does a good job monitoring mine as well. I think theyre frowned upon because, if the bank slips up and lets shady stuff go through, youre out the money right then and there because its tied right into your checking account. With a credit card, you have the bad charges and can dispute those before ever having to pay a dime towards them.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Wait.. a list with all this info? Oh fuck. How can I check this list? Want to see if my CC is there so I can change my number. Goddammit =/

gcubed

Salaadin said:
My bank does a good job monitoring mine as well. I think theyre frowned upon because, if the bank slips up and lets shady stuff go through, youre out the money right then and there because its tied right into your checking out. With a credit card, you have the bad charges and can dispute those before ever having to pay a dime towards them.

this is basically my thoughts about cc vs debit online. I buy enough stuff online that i have cc theft as a "will definitely happen" so i just work around it

Relix said:
Wait.. a list with all this info? Oh fuck. How can I check this list? Want to see if my CC is there so I can change my number. Goddammit =/

its not a psn list, the users who saw it said that the login accounts have spaces in them, which you cant have

Zoe

params7 said:
Also hearing about some people where CC companies are calling them to replace their card.

This is a preventative measure more likely. I would imagine that it's cheaper to just send out cards in bulk than to handle a whole bunch of support calls and replace cards one by one.

V_Ben

Banned
Wario64 said:
WHEN DOES PSN GO UP NEOGAF BETTING LIST

Betting list closes at 12:01 AM PDT April 30th :)

This is for partial functionality, as in being able to login to PSN at minimum (but I'll list you if you only guess full funct.)

April 30 - hikarutilmitt, Rewrite
May 1 - Marius_, ULTROS!
May 2 - Wario64, Hex, AwesomeSauce, Dead Man, plainr_, pharmboy044, chubigans, KingOfKong
May 3 - xaosslug, arnoldocastillo2003, Professor Beef, gutter_trash, Dreamgazer, QuantumBro, RustyNails
May 4 - Ickman3400, RPGCrazied, V_Ben
May 5 - upJTboogie, CcrooK
May 6 - Snack, UberTag
May 7 - Dipindots
May 9 - shintoki, Mooreberg

May 15 - Megadragon15
May 16 - xKilltheMx

May 30 - DryEyeRelief

June 6 - DrForester

June 16 - Brannon

Nov 1 - Net_Wrecker

Added myself to may 4th :)

Xater

Wario64 said:
WHEN DOES PSN GO UP NEOGAF BETTING LIST

Betting list closes at 12:01 AM PDT April 30th :)

This is for partial functionality, as in being able to login to PSN at minimum (but I'll list you if you only guess full funct.)

April 30 - hikarutilmitt, Rewrite
May 1 - Marius_, ULTROS!
May 2 - Wario64, Hex, AwesomeSauce, Dead Man, plainr_, pharmboy044, chubigans, KingOfKong
May 3 - xaosslug, arnoldocastillo2003, Professor Beef, gutter_trash, Dreamgazer, QuantumBro, RustyNails
May 4 - Ickman3400, RPGCrazied
May 5 - upJTboogie, CcrooK
May 6 - Snack, UberTag
May 7 - Dipindots
May 9 - shintoki, Mooreberg

May 15 - Megadragon15
May 16 - xKilltheMx

May 30 - DryEyeRelief

June 6 - DrForester

June 16 - Brannon

Nov 1 - Net_Wrecker

I guess may 3rd for the next PSN update.

this thread is very strange to monitor. in the evening and later in the night people are rational and not much talk about stolen CC #s takes place. In the morning all the paranoid users begin their doom and gloom posts. Very entertaining to say the least.

Effect

cjtiger300 said:
Wells Fargo, American Express, and Mastercard have said that there has been no fraud activity due to the PSN breach. I wish I had a link, but it was posted in this thread last night.

It could be weeks or months before anything happens though. So just because they say something now doesn't mean one shouldn't be worried if they had a CC or DC attached to their account.

PSN Bet? My god... lol

PSN will partially go up Monday, May 2nd with a firmware update. On Tuesday, a far better enforced PSN will be up with store update. Anything early is a blessing, Anything later is a curse. By the end of the week, a complete restoration will be up including the "apology" by providing three month of extension to current services including Qore, PSN+ and DC:UO and a free game to all others.

jax (old)

Banned
Grampasso said:
Fuck you.

You do realise that duckroll post the new sticky about forum etiquette and going fuck you fuck you fuck you... etc

... is just yeah....

and + this:

Metalmurphy said:

"Spokesmen for Wells Fargo & Co., American Express Co. and MasterCard Inc. said they were monitoring cardholder accounts and hadn’t seen unauthorized activity relating to Sony
. "

bolded for emphaise

+ I posted May2nd ages ago. ADD Me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom