• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSO2.. (Phantasy Star Online 2) is real!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ah, what a shame - got so hyped until i read it was for PC

brain stew- you realize console gaming is desperately lacking for this kind of game, right? and that the pc space is over saturated with some HUGE names like wow? also that console gaming is superior ;)

edit: before i get banned for being another badger-er for consoles, maybe i should explain my comments a little more. except for maybe monster hunter wii there doesn't seem to be a PSO like game available for the two systems i have (360 + wii)

PSO on dreamcast through dial up blew my mind back in the day... i played diablo2/starcraft online back in the day so it was nothing new in theory - but there is something satisfying about having your laptop/computer chilling next to you for facebook/chatting purposes and then have your epic dungeon adventure on your tv in front of you.

i just want my kids back

jon bones said:

brain stew- you realize console gaming is desperately lacking for this kind of game, right? and that the pc space is over saturated with some HUGE names like wow? also that console gaming is superior ;)

It's probably not, as it couldnt support a game like WoW. Also, assuming its like PSO1, PSU, etc, PSO2 is not a game like WoW, it's a game like Diablo. Awesome, but not an MMO.

But before that can be successful at all, Sega needs to understand that in the west, you cannot charge a monthly fee for this sort of game.

Iceman

jon bones said:

edit: before i get banned for being another badger-er for consoles, maybe i should explain my comments a little more. except for maybe monster hunter wii there doesn't seem to be a PSO like game available for the two systems i have (360 + wii)

PSO on dreamcast through dial up blew my mind back in the day... i played diablo2/starcraft online back in the day so it was nothing new in theory - but there is something satisfying about having your laptop/computer chilling next to you for facebook/chatting purposes and then have your epic dungeon adventure on your tv in front of you.

i just want my kids back

easy, Tom Jane.

Is there seriously no one who can translate that page for us.. at least the highlights?

UrbanRats

Earlier today in Japan at the "Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity Nationwide Fan Thanks Festival 2011 sponsored by Caloriemate," SonicTeam announced that the alpha test for Phantasy Star Online 2 will begin this summer! Entry into the test will not be open; instead, all participants will be selected by lottery. And your first chance at putting your name into the drawing will be by purchasing Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity, which will be released in Japan on February 24. The first printings of the game will include a special code inside the box as designated by a yellow sticker on the outside of the case. This code is required to enter yourself into the alpha test drawing. Keep in mind that only the UMD release of PSP2i will feature this code; the download version will not include the code. Furthermore, Japanese Phantasy Star Universe and previously-subscribed Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst players will have a chance at getting into the test, as codes will be distributed to them, too. Specific details on this method of code distribution will be made public at a later date.
----
If you purchased a Hunters License for the Japanese version of Blue Burst at any point between January 1, 2010, and November 30, 2010, then you will receive a lottery code at a later date through the e-mail address you registered with your account. However, if you registered and play via the Hangame version, you will not be included.
----
Japanese PC/PS2 Phantasy Star Universe players will have three chances at getting a code, as they will be distributed to eligible players in three different batches. Here are the dates of distribution along with the requirements for each.

1. February 24: You must be a premium course player on February 20 or you must have bought 3,000 GC (or more) between January 1 and February 20.
2. Early April: You must be a premium course player on March 31 or you must have bought 3,000 GC (or more) between February 21 and March 31.
3. Early May: You must be a premium course player on April 30 or you must have bought 3,000 GC (or more) between April 1 and April 30.

As before, codes will be sent to eligible players via e-mail. Also, this offer does not extend to those who subscribe to the game through Hangame or those who play the Xbox 360 version. And finally, even if you meet more than one requirement, you will not be sent more than one lottery code. Good luck to all eligible players!
Source:
http://www.pso-world.com/news/02353-phantasy-star-online-2-alpha-test-summer

A month old news, but i searched and didn't find anything.
I think it was worth the bump, anyway.
So PSO is coming back? Back to its (online) roots?

wwm0nkey

So with the PSU demo on 360 FINALLY being shut down on the 7th anyone else think they should just make PSU F2P already :/

rpg_poser

FoxSpirit said:
A short question, what makes PSO so special compared to other MMOs?

For me, at the time DC PSO came out, it was a (mostly) griefless 3D online diablo, but with awesome music and character and weapon design. I still play offline GC PSO++. I think most of those who are really excited about this game are sentimental towards PSO, and like myself, are cautiously optimistic about PSO2. Gamers who never experienced PSO when it came out seem to be ambivalent about the game.

Ricker

rpg_poser said:
For me, at the time DC PSO came out, it was a (mostly) griefless 3D online diablo, but with awesome music and character and weapon design. I still play offline GC PSO++. I think most of those who are really excited about this game are sentimental towards PSO, and like myself, are cautiously optimistic about PSO2. Gamers who never experienced PSO when it came out seem to be ambivalent about the game.

Well said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mrFXT8BThc&feature=related

Top Bottom