• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sajj316

Grecco said:
Both EA and THQ are missing from this list. Makes me think both are taking a "Wait and see" approach before jumping in on development. Notice how the bulk of the american developers are cheap downloadable stuff like popcap and not high end expensive caliber retail stuff.

Probably to be announced at a later date or during a presentation in the US or Europe

LCfiner

decent battery life doesn't surprise me, actually. a bigger device allows for a bigger battery. I'll bet a teardown of this thing will reveal a extremely healthy-sized battery

Ashour said:
Uncharted is being made by Sony Bend. It will be a quality game for sure.
Terrible news. Sony need to reverse the trend of giving their portable titles to second tier studios. I want to see what Naughty Dog can do with this thing, not Sony Bend.

slider

Yep, I like it. Has the basis for a great system and I shall be getting it (depending on E3 of course).

But, original compelling software. Whilst I love Uncharted, KZ, Wipeout etc... show me more. Something different.

Based purely on the Uncharted demo I hope we don't get swamped with input choices. Of course it's down to the dev how they implement things, and there's certainly the scope for novel stuff, but... yeah. I don't like to be too optimistic so will focus on some random aspect to mope about.

I'm glad they went this way. Whilst phone gaming might be booming did we really want this machine doing simply that? Besides we have the Xperia play and the Play Suite initiative (not sure how successful that'll be in migrating consumers though). I'm glad Sony are Sony. As I'm glad Apple and Nintendo are themselves.

Bit worried about the UI still but time will tell. I'm able to get used to anything. In the space of three days I used Core Impact and then Immunity Canvas. Take that. That said the UI and some of the apps (Near?) strike me as an answer looking for a question. Something to differentiate the machine but implementation will be key. Still not sure if anyone'll want locint based data. Hmm.

Now give us more on price, battery and services!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
brain_stew said:
Terrible news. Sony need to reverse the trend of giving their portable titles to second tier studios. I want to see what Naughty Dog can do with this thing, not Sony Bend.
I would assume ND passed on this before Sony "palmed it off" to Bend.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
At $300, I'll buy. Otherwise, I'll wait for a price drop.

Sumo Digital is on board? Can I dare dream of a portable OutRun game on this? OutRun 2006 on the PSP 1 was pretty good, after all.

Somnid

My reactions:

Front and rear touch, color me surprised. Not sure why it needs both but whatever. I'm excited about rear touch. It's very unexplored.

GPS is cool, I think all portable devices going forward need GPS just like they need cameras.

Both the unit itself and the software menu look HIDEOS. Like some cheap cell phone OS. I can't believe this is coming from Sony.

The unit is simply too big. I can't in good faith buy a portable that big as I actually use them outside the house. PSP was already gigantic, this is just gross. I'm waiting for the revision.

Graphics look pretty good though I'm hardly the kind of person to find this important.

Price and battery life, real questions.

Overall it's about what I figured, they hit the points I thought they should. I'm not too excited given that they decided to make it so fucking gigantic but maybe in the next few years there will be something more reasonable.

Magnus

Who has room for this turd in their pocket? The Go's big enough. I was really hoping Sony would adopt that look and feel for the NGP, but we're back to expecting people to haul bricks around and look like idiots.

I'd also rather they strip out crap like 3G and make the thing cheaper. Are people really going to get a data plan just for this device?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
brain_stew said:

Both ND and Sony Bend were mentioned by Yoshida when introducing the game. It sounds like a collaboration. It's probably benefiting quite a bit from ND tech know-how, at least.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
GPS? Cool, but is it just for games, or can I use it as a TomTom?

santi_yo said:
A SCEE guy just told me about the price. They are trying to make a 250-300$/€ miracle. Good news.

If SCEA can pull off that miracle here, I'll be happy.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
AranhaHunter said:
I think the western software 3rd party support is poor so far.

No THQ, no Take 2, EA? WTF? Didn't Riccietelo (sp?) say they had dev kits awhile ago?
They've got to be just saving the announcements of their support for a western conference or something, nothing else makes sense. It's not like western companies really had many huge successes on the DS, and Nintendo certainly isn't moneyhatting anyone. I can't see it as a case of leaving for greener pastures.

Additionally, this thing seems like a prime dumping ground for ports of current-gen games, which seems like it would be right in western devs' wheelhouse.

sajj316 said:
Probably to be announced at a later date or during a presentation in the US or Europe
I hope so, those are really important publisher needed to get on board psp2. can't imagine psp2 will be much success without EA and THQ support.

lttp... and it's been said but I've got to reitterate: that thing is HUGE!

It reminds me more and more of the Lynx - but a Lynx that's backed by a company with a vision and worldclass developers, and plenty of cash in the warchest to help the one realize the other... I don't care what they charge for it, I'll be there day one... Hell, if they let us transfer our PSPgo library, I'll have 60 games to play on it from day one without having to buy anything but the hardware! 8)

...but it really is freakin' BIG!!

darkwing

EatChildren said:
So, 3DS gets a port of a game from the better half of the franchise, while the PSP2 gets a port of a game from the worse half?

Problem, Sony?

ujelly?

it is just a tech demo, it took a week to port it into the NGP

xtop

santi_yo said:
A SCEE guy just told me about the price. They are trying to make a 250-300$/€ miracle. Good news.

i'm expecting $249 for wifi
$300 for 3g/wifi

*expecting also = hoping lol

LCfiner

Now that Valve and Sony are BFF, I'd like to see some Valve games on this thing.

A Portal game with touch controls would be interesting.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
They have got to work on that bubble UI. Saw people comparing that to Android UI last night - come on, if it actually looked like the Android UI that would be a vast improvement.

I'm not stuck on XMB but if they're going to change it, please try for something better than mid-90s Photoshop web design.

They've got almost a year to refine it, I guess, but that's another problem, IMO. These kind of lengthy lead times between the initial reveal and the actual availability of the product should be a thing of the past.

Rez said:
I would assume ND passed on this before Sony "palmed it off" to Bend.

ND is looking over the project to make sure everything is good.
If they want UC portable to be a launch game ND going to be to busy with UC3 , plus UC3 going to bring in much more money .

Jal

Everything looks decent apart from that Uncharted touching the back bullshit, how do psp's cope with being dropped?

Cartman86

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
I think the western software 3rd party support is poor so far.

No THQ, no Take 2, EA? WTF? Didn't Riccietelo (sp?) say they had dev kits awhile ago?

They basically have every major and smaller JP company supporting it though, I can't see one that's not there off the top of my head.

They have 2K and Rockstar. Both subsidiaries of Take 2. Also the only ones really.

Salaadin

MGS4? Nice. I wonder if we will be getting MGS4 portable or a new MGS portable game. Another portable title with the level of awesome as MGS PW will sell me on this system.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Can I get a new Twisted Metal on this thing too please? Also, ports of Twin Stick Shooters like Virtua On and such? Border Break port too please? Thanks.

Grecco

Shig said:
They've got to be just saving the announcements of their support for a western conference or something, nothing else makes sense. It's not like western companies really had many huge successes on the DS, and Nintendo certainly isn't moneyhatting anyone. I can't see it as a case of leaving for greener pastures.

Additionally, this thing seems like a prime dumping ground for ports of current-gen games, which seems like it would be right in western devs' wheelhouse.

"Saving" the announcements of THQ and EA makes little sense.

spats

Jal said:
Everything looks decent apart from that touching the back bullshit, how do psp's cope with being dropped?

They're very sturdy, at least the early models. The UMD drive might pop open but it hasn't suffered any times even though I've dropped it several times.

FoneBone

First of all, setting aside the "will it succeed or won't it" debates, where's the direct-feed game media? The fuck, Sony?

Second, the lack of specific third party announcements (beyond Call of Duty, and that's not even terribly specific) is baffling.

Overall, I can't say I've changed my opinion pre-unveiling. It's an absolute beast in terms of power and features, but in terms of market positioning, I don't see where it lands. Don't get me started on SCEA repeating the same shitty strategy they had with its predecessor (relying on secondary-developer spinoffs of console franchises).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
LCfiner said:
Now that Valve and Sony are BFF, I'd like to see some Valve games on this thing.

A Portal game with touch controls would be interesting.
Valve creating something that can't be sold on Steam? Inconceivable.

ZoddGutts

brain_stew said:

Sony Bend 2nd tier? The fuck? Have you played there games? Easily their PSP games where the one of the best for the system. Hell their Resistance game was better the PS3 ones made by Insomniac. Anyways besides the Uncharted game is being overseen by ND.

Binabik15

Sn4ke_911 said:

Which one of you clowns is responsible for this:

Looks bad

sappyjohnson vor 4 Minuten

Then again, I´ve seen this cutscene so many times already I just closed the tab :p

The EA thing is strange, I´d be sad about no EA support. Give me BC(PSP)2, suckers!

IF they can convert PS2 games into PSP2 games with relative ease they´ll make so much money. Would be awesome to have even 1% of the PS2 library to choose from.

PS: 300€ is my max, at 250 I´d force my brother to save up for one for versus/co-op play.

I am so annoyed that they're calling it NGP for now. NGP is the NeoGeo Pocket, damn it!

I used to carry that thing with me OVER my GBA. MotM & CFC 4 life~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom