• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR 2 vs QUEST 2 vs QUEST PRO lens comparison

Klik

Really interesting video comparing those 3 VR headsets. Seeing this, I can't wait for the release of Quest 3 later this year.

The Quest 3 will also use the Pancake lens just like the Quest Pro, but with a much better resolution (probably around 4.5-5 mil pixels compared to 3.5 million in the Quest Pro and PSVR 2). PSVR 2 uses Fresnel lenses which are worse than the Pancake lens which is basically a new and much better lens technology.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Just makes me think in this comparison how you go around the eye tracking. In both PSVR2 and Quest Pro. But god damn the clarity of Quest Pro...

Wait, why is OP in Croat?

8WgWzoP.png

Is it just me seeing this?

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned
This video from MRTV better represents what the PSVR2 looks like:

Yeah that it how it looks, really/kind of blurry around the edges and only the center part is sharp.

He explains that if you wear glasses, lenses are further away and make it worse. So that is my case maybe, gotta get some contact lenses if it helps. It sucks that if there is text around the edges or even more in the area between edges and center, there are like ghosting and blurry effect over the text so if looks like there are floating multiple text-copies

But he talks bullshit that you cant see mura in horizon etc. It is 100% visible on bright scenes and makes night scenes almost unplayable to me. Like having a bag with some stripes on it over your head in front of the picture.

maybe wearing glasses makes it worse, but to me it is really annoying and makes you always be aware of it and not really go "in the game"

Rudius

Yeah that it how it looks, really/kind of blurry around the edges and only the center part is sharp.

He explains that if you wear glasses, lenses are further away and make it worse. So that is my case maybe, gotta get some contact lenses if it helps. It sucks that if there is text around the edges or even more in the area between edges and center, there are like ghosting and blurry effect over the text so if looks like there are floating multiple text-copies

But he talks bullshit that you cant see mura in horizon etc. It is 100% visible on bright scenes and makes night scenes almost unplayable to me. Like having a bag with some stripes on it over your head in front of the picture.

maybe wearing glasses makes it worse, but to me it is really annoying and makes you always be aware of it and not really go "in the game"
Get lens inserts. Not only is that much more convenient, but you can get it closer to your eyes.

I get the PSVR2 lenses as close as possible. Not only the field of view gets bigger, but the image gets sharper on the edges.

Klik

Y
Just makes me think in this comparison how you go around the eye tracking. In both PSVR2 and Quest Pro. But god damn the clarity of Quest Pro...

Wait, why is OP in Croat?

8WgWzoP.png

Is it just me seeing this?
Yeah, i dont know why the hell it translated it to croatian language when i posted it, but i fixed it😅

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm quite shocked how games like kayak hold up graphically on quest 2 vs PSVR2.

Sony needs ro get some big graphical showcases releasing in a constant clip that can really show the difference. GT7 and Horizon is a great start but they will need to keep it up.

sncvsrtoip

Sony needs ro get some big graphical showcases releasing in a constant clip that can really show the difference. GT7 and Horizon is a great start but they will need to keep it up.
There is no Kayak vr on quest 2 standalone, its pc version (and according to many reviews psvr2 is better thx to colors)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Quest 3 use the same lenses, only worse panels than Pro, which has 500 local dimming zones and and Qled layer, for improving blacks and colors respectively. Quest 3 should be a standard LCD like Pico 4.
Yes. Crappy LCD. I’ve got both Q1 and Q2 and I’m not interested in Q3 because of this.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

It’s more that the capture technology isn‘t capturing the massive contrast, the popping colours, HDR and pure blacks of PSVR2.

Drizzlehell

Banned

Does it even make sense to wear glasses in VR? I wear glasses but for VR I always take them off because I found that they don't really make any difference because it's not like you're looking at an actual 3D space. The picture is right in front of your eyeballs anyway.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Does it even make sense to wear glasses in VR? I wear glasses but for VR I always take them off because I found that they don't really make any difference because it's not like you're looking at an actual 3D space. The picture is right in front of your eyeballs anyway.
Are you nearsighted?

calistan

I need them to see better overall but indeed things get more blurry with more distance.
You’re not shortsighted enough to need glasses for VR then.

My prescription is about -3.5 so i can’t do VR (or life) without corrective lenses, but my glasses won’t fit inside my Rift CV1 headset. I have to wear contact lenses for it, which sucks if it’s late and I’ve already had them in all day.

If I ever got another VR headset I’d make sure I could use it with glasses. Probably won’t bother though, I haven’t touched the Rift in over a year. (Also, I would totally rule out the Meta headsets because of the Facebook requirement.)

Drizzlehell

Banned
You’re not shortsighted enough to need glasses for VR then.

My prescription is about -3.5 so i can’t do VR (or life) without corrective lenses, but my glasses won’t fit inside my Rift CV1 headset. I have to wear contact lenses for it, which sucks if it’s late and I’ve already had them in all day.

If I ever got another VR headset I’d make sure I could use it with glasses. Probably won’t bother though, I haven’t touched the Rift in over a year. (Also, I would totally rule out the Meta headsets because of the Facebook requirement.)
It's probably the fact that the picture from most headsets is blurry enough that I don't see the difference with or without the glasses. I can definitely see a difference when I sit in front of a monitor at my desk, but for VR it's just too much of a hassle to try and fit them in, especially since I happen to be wearing a bit wider frames.

Buggy Loop

Quest 3 use the same lenses, only worse panels than Pro, which has 500 local dimming zones and and Qled layer, for improving blacks and colors respectively. Quest 3 should be a standard LCD like Pico 4.

But while the LCD panel will probably be worse for blacks because of the backlighting, it will not have the LED strip creating sort of a screen door effect like we see on Quest pro. Not sure we notice it while wearing it normally though, never tried this headset. Peoples praise its clarity all the time so it must be minor.

It’s gonna be hard to resist Quest 3… but Valve Deckard is rumoured to be pancake lens AND micro-OLED for keeping up with the brightness reduction pancakes lenses have. Problem is you never know when Valve drops something, they could even scrap the project.

Quest 3 and Pico 5 will roughly have the same optics, although is seems that Oculus’ supplier of lenses is a step above the Chinese headsets, but they’ll both be roughly same resolution and LCD.

Should look like pico 4 at a higher res.

Drizzlehell

Banned
This is something Ive been wondering about ....So in your experience if I have Nearsightedness not wearing glasses shouldnt affect the VR clarity?
Do you think I'd be asking about this if I already knew? I'm not an optician, lol. I barely even know the specifics of my own defect.

At least in my own experience it doesn't seem to be making any difference.

Last edited:

phaedrus

This is something Ive been wondering about ....So in your experience if I have Nearsightedness not wearing glasses shouldnt affect the VR clarity?

If you need to wear corrective glasses IRL, then you need to wear them in VR.
Simple as that.

( unless you have VR headsets like the Vive Flow, which has diopter adjustment to compensate for your myopia)

keraj37

Can someone help me out?
I have been using a lot of VR headsets in the past, including Quest 1 and others, but all of them are not yet made for me since I cannot stand looking through binoculars - the FOV is nowhere near what I can accept.
Is PSVR2 any better in that regard? I hear it has 110degrees FOV so my question is, is it a significant upgrade? Or it is still having massive "binoculars effect"?
If the effect is still present, I will pass even this generation of VR.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Can someone help me out?
I have been using a lot of VR headsets in the past, including Quest 1 and others, but all of them are not yet made for me since I cannot stand looking through binoculars - the FOV is nowhere near what I can accept.
Is PSVR2 any better in that regard? I hear it has 110degrees FOV so my question is, is it a significant upgrade? Or it is still having massive "binoculars effect"?
You cannot stand it in what way? Is it nauseating?

PSVR2 doesn't solve it, to answer your question. The difference is mostly in picture quality and the absence of lens flaring/light shafts.

Last edited:

What’s your experience been like with the PSVR2 so far? You enjoying it?

Buggy Loop

Can someone help me out?

Higher FOV helps but it is still held back with Fresnel lenses. Valve Index has much higher FOV and still feels a bit binocular.

Pancake lenses make whatever FOV you have more effective.

PSVR2 is 4M pixels per eye.

Subpixels (because unlike TVs, it’s a few inches from your face)

Quest 2: 1,832 x 1920 x 3 = 10552320
PSVR2: 2000 x 2040 x 2.5 = 10200000
Pico 4: 2160 x 2160 x 3 = 13996800

Why is PSVR2 so blurry?

It’s probably not blurry when you find the sweet spot, which on PSVR2, from all the more known VR reviewers, is very very narrow, more so than Oculus’ fresnel solutions. So camera through the lens capture is very hard and as soon as you exit the spot it becomes blurry. Personally, i'm not buying any solutions with fresnel lenses anymore. Since oculus DK1 I've experienced them... i - just - can't - anymore

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Wait, the PSVR2 has a pentile display...?? So what's the subpixel arrangement. Perhaps they should put "~2000 x ~2040 resolution" in its specs then.

It's not in the headset and I find these comparisons a terrible representation of all 3.

The author carefully explained this is not necessarily what you actually see when wearing the headsets. It's a simple comparison _between_ the headsets.

Last edited:

keraj37

You cannot stand it in what way? Is it nauseating?

PSVR2 doesn't solve it, to answer your question. The difference is mostly in picture quality and the absence of lens flaring/light shafts.

No nauseating, just weird running around with binoculars all the way. Feels very artificial.

Higher FOV helps but it is still held back with Fresnel lenses. Valve Index has much higher FOV and still feels a bit binocular.

Pancake lenses make whatever FOV you have more effective.

Thanks, so which headset would you recommend today, in regard of FOV binocular issue? The best on the market now in reasonable price.

Buggy Loop

Thanks, so which headset would you recommend today, in regard of FOV binocular issue? The best on the market now in reasonable price.

Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

As of today? I wouldn't recommend anything honestly as the market is about to be shaken up by waves of pancake lenses.

Pimax is the king FOV but too expensive, Varjo is good but again stupid expensive, fresnel hybrid lenses too. Valve index is too old to recommend, i wouldn't go with tracking towers either, nowadays inside-out tracking is a must.

I mean, i think your best solution is go buy a PSVR 2 and return it if it doesn't work out. Much easier to return product on Sony systems than the PCVR solutions, as a solution today. Otherwise, i'm waiting what 2023-24 announcements will bring.

keraj37

Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

As of today? I wouldn't recommend anything honestly as the market is about to be shaken up by waves of pancake lenses.

Pimax is the king FOV but too expensive, Varjo is good but again stupid expensive, fresnel hybrid lenses too. Valve index is too old to recommend, i wouldn't go with tracking towers either, nowadays inside-out tracking is a must.

I mean, i think your best solution is go buy a PSVR 2 and return it if it doesn't work out. Much easier to return product on Sony systems than the PCVR solutions, as a solution today. Otherwise, i'm waiting what 2023-24 announcements will bring.
Thanks, I think I will need to skip this gen of VR as well, but I am fine with tv and PS5/XSX so far.
Pimax - I saw it, but the price is a wall I cannot bridge.

Rudius

Thank you. So the blurriness IS normal.
I notice the mura. It doesn't bother me, but the blur from the lens sucks!
Only the far edges should be blurry, most of the lens is clear enough to see individual pixels.

MRTV video is the closest I've seen, but using the headset it is sharp in most of the field of view.

Get the lenses as close as possible to your eyes for the best picture.

Last edited:
Top Bottom