• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 full specs and details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane89

Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

They can do PS5 to PSVR2 streaming. Quest 2 works great streamed from PC. Everything here looks awesome but I have no interest having a cable going across the living room, I don’t even want it from the Quest to PC which is right infront of me.

And if this is expensive they need to get it connected to PC for Steam VR. Can’t expect many to want to buy a PS5+PSVR2 for like 2 or 3 big exclusive games per year.

My Understanding is that this headset will be compatible with PC

mxbison

GT, Skyrim, RE VII

I don't agree but people like different things.

But RE VII is exactly what I wouldn't want for the majority of VR games, a compromise.

Don't you think that game would be much better with proper hand control instead of aiming the gun with your face?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm disappointed by the fact that it won't be backwards compatible with PSVR1 titles (yes, it won't be BC).

I guess that I'll have to grab the current headset to play through DriveClub VR (which I purchased before the delisting) and other games that most probably won't be remastered. Hopefully Sony will release some nice bundles for the holiday season.
Yeah, sad about BC, but it kinda makes sense because of how different the tracking technology would be in PSVR 2. Would be near impossible to get BC right for every game.

mxbison

Superhot. The poster child for a vr version surpassing the pancake in every way.

Yeah but that's exactly what I mean, they developed that version from ground up as VR, you can't just flip a switch for most games.

And it was so much work that they went back to a flat game despite the VR version being such a great success.

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm disappointed by the fact that it won't be backwards compatible with PSVR1 titles (yes, it won't be BC).

I guess that I'll have to grab the current headset to play through DriveClub VR (which I purchased before the delisting) and other games that most probably won't be remastered. Hopefully Sony will release some nice bundles for the holiday season.

Read the descrip Perrott, said there was no info on BC. VR games right now can be played via BC on ps5 for PSVR, I think it will be a title by title basis if developer wants to update the game with haptic controller config and updated resolution textures.

So if you have some VR titles you probably will be able to play them, I just dont know if they will be enhanced? Not a lot of people bought VR so if they are going to remaster those with better character models, resolution, fps, and haptic configs Im all for it.
Depends on the developer and scope of work. A lot of the games were made targeting specific specs, but those that are on both PC and PSVR should scale if developer want to put in the work to update it on PSVR2.

Don't worry, i bet Sony will offer patches (for some money of course) or remakes/remasters (for some more money of course).

yurinka

I love what is mentioned in the video. Proper great hardware specs an proper AAA games.

I'd love to see GoWR, GT7 and a brand new Wipeout running on this. Plus Tetris Effect and Rez Infinite.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
>fresnel lenses

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF
Agreed, fresnel lenses are really horrible and if true, this is a big step backwards, the lenses in the PSVR1 were the best in the business! The rest sounds really cool, so glad Sony is carrying the VR torch forwards when so many have seemingly given up. The idea of hybrid VR/standard games is interesting, but I'm not sure that is such a good idea, it might hold back what's possible in VR, hopefully they can pull it off though.

Last edited:
after details leaked of psvr2 ,the predicted date of rrp availability of p5 has gone to 2028.... bowt time the p6 releases...lmao

got to lay out to scalpers guys if you want p5 , sowi.

ManaByte

Yeah, understandably wireless headsets like the Quest 2 is the hot thing now, but it's not a realistic option for Sony as it, of course, requires local processing. But for those mostly only into flight simulators and racing games etc; Cockpited games, the cable isn't much of an issue.
You can play PC VR wirelessly on a Quest 2. This "requires local processing" excuse is 100% bullshit. I won't use VR that tethers me to a box anymore.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, understandably wireless headsets like the Quest 2 is the hot thing now, but it's not a realistic option for Sony as it, of course, requires local processing.

No it doesn't. You can stream PC VR games to a Quest 2 over WiFi, and from what I've heard it works basically as well as wired. I really hope Sony includes this as an option. A WiFi chip doesn't cost much to add. I don't think I can go back to wired VR, it can never be as good as wireless unless you create some advanced pulley system in your ceiling to get the cable out of the way. And no normal person is gonna do that.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Eye tracking is unnecessary IMO. If you don't want to get sick in VR always look straight ahead and look around the environment by turning your whole head.

Droxcy

Becoming a big believer in VR. Been using the Quest 2 and it’s been a great experience with PCVR.

PSVR isn’t something I would get if the price point isn’t right if it’s 700+ you might as well get a PCVR compatible headset for the bigger library.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Agreed, fresnel lenses are really horrible and if true, this is a big step backwards,

Without fresnel lenses it would be bulkier and heavy. Form factor is important for VR. But lens technology has come a long way since PSVR1, the first fresnel lenses for VR was indeed easy to spot, but no so much anymore.

No it doesn't. You can stream PC VR games to a Quest 2 over WiFi, and from what I've heard it works basically as well as wired. I really hope Sony includes this as an option. A WiFi chip doesn't cost much to add.

I guess it could be fine if Sony and users was ok with fluctuating image quality and latency which is some of the real issues with wireless VR streaming, even with Airlink (which from what I understand uses dynamic scaling to combat interference issues). As a long time VR veteran I fully understand that VR has a different impact on each person, we notice different things and we have our personal preferences. As a "cockpit player" my priority is different I guess, I prioritize image quality and latency, and I don't mind the cable. But that's just me.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Becoming a big believer in VR. Been using the Quest 2 and it’s been a great experience with PCVR.

PSVR isn’t something I would get if the price point isn’t right if it’s 700+ you might as well get a PCVR compatible headset for the bigger library.

There is no way in hell it is more expensive than the console. I think it will be either $399 or $499 at launch with a price drop a year later or so.

Rudius

No you can just do what PSVR1 already does which is tender things at a lower quality towards the edges of the display.

With eye tracking you can make the high resolution area smaller, saving power, and quickly move it around the screen to where the user is looking. If it works it will be much better and harder to notice than the fixed way of old headsets.

You can play PC VR wirelessly on a Quest 2. This "requires local processing" excuse is 100% bullshit. I won't use VR that tethers me to a box anymore.
I prefer tether free too, but the batteries have to be replaceable, otherwise the headseat has either a very limited lifespan or problematic battery replacement.

New wireless chips using 5g tech, or similar tech, i think can allow for high rez high framerate low latency wireless headsets.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The original PSVR was a sales bomb and a waste of resources. I have no idea why Sony thinks it's a good to throw yet more money into the VR money pit. They don't have enough studios as it is - and now a number of those studios will have to start working on VR games for a niche audience instead of the vast majority of PS4/5 owners who want to play comfy couch games on their HDTV.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Without fresnel lenses it would be bulkier and heavy. Form factor is important for VR. But lens technology has come a long way since PSVR1, the first fresnel lenses for VR was indeed easy to spot, but no so much anymore.

I guess it could be fine if Sony and users was ok with fluctuating image quality and latency which is some of the real issues with wireless VR streaming, even with Airlink (which from what I understand uses dynamic scaling to combat interference issues). As a long time VR veteran I fully understand that VR has a different impact on each person, we notice different things and we have our personal preferences. As a "cockpit player" my priority is different I guess, I prioritize image quality and latency, and I don't mind the cable. But that's just me.

Sure, for those kinds of games I agree. But I can't even imagine playing something like Superhot (the proper 360 degree version) while constantly having to make sure you're not getting tangled up in the cable. And there are tons of other examples of games like that. It's just much more limiting IMO.

The original PSVR was a sales bomb and a waste of resources. I have no idea why Sony thinks it's a good to throw yet more money into the VR money pit. They don't have enough studios as it is - and now a number of those studios will have to start working on VR games for a niche audience instead of the vast majority of PS4/5 owners who want to play comfy couch games on their HDTV.

Wasn't it the best selling VR headset until the Quest 2?

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
With eye tracking you can make the high resolution area smaller, saving power, and quickly move it around the screen to where the user is looking. If it works it will be much better and harder to notice than the fixed way of old headsets.

Okay but the user shouldn't be looking around the screen with their eyes. If you keep your eyes forward and look with your head you won't get sick.

Kokoloko85

I wonder if we get HL ALyx on there?

Id love for a new Astrobot, Ace combat, RE8, Gran Turismo 7 and a 1st person WRPG

The new controller was my only concern but with the info of
  • The controllers will include capacitive touch sensors, which are analogue based and can track the distance between your fingers and thumb. This is in addition to haptics and adaptive triggers which have already been announced
That sounds sweet

Last edited:

00_Zer0

It would be interesting if Sony put enough effort into this headset to be cross compatible with the PC. I like the competition in the PC space. I loathe Facebook but you have to hand it to Zuckerberg and co., a lot of Steam players are using Oculus products to game in VR. I love the fact that I can choose between Oculus, Vive, Index, Pimax, and HP, and some other competitors. Adding Sony on the list may not please many Sony only console fans, but would make many PC VR fans happy if they come up with a good PS5/PC cross platform VR solution. It probably won't happen but it would be nice for the growth of VR gaming. These specs though look really good and if I ever get into the PlayStation ecosystem again I may have to give this a go.

It would be interesting if Sony put enough effort into this headset to be cross compatible with the PC. I like the competition in the PC space. I loathe Facebook but you have to hand it to Zuckerberg and co., a lot of Steam players are using Oculus products to game in VR. I love the fact that I can choose between Oculus, Vive, Index, Pimax, and HP, and some other competitors. Adding Sony on the list may not please many Sony only console fans, but would make many PC VR fans happy if they come up with a good PS5/PC cross platform VR solution. It probably won't happen but it would be nice for the growth of VR gaming. These specs though look really good and if I ever get into the PlayStation ecosystem again I may have to give this a go.
I honestly don't see why Sony would be against it, more so the console fans you mentioned. I can even see Sony VR games releasing simultaneously with on ps5 and steam VR, day and date. If they can sell software and/or headset to an even bigger crowd than their own userbase, it would be more profit for Sony. Especially since they are already doing it for their games on PC.

SilentUser

You need it to use PS5 hardware/power. But hopefully it will be 1 single cable
Sony themselves confirmed PSVR2 will use only one cable.
Though I prefer being wireless, I'm fine with a single cord. Very excited to see what they have in store and what games they are producing with that AAA hybrid philosophy!

PSVR was $400 without controllers or camera back in 2016 when PS4 Pro was also $400.

Add in the camera & move controllers and PSVR cost over $500 at launch.

PS5 VR will definitely include the controllers in the box and we know it has no external camera sensors.

The PS5 costs $500. And the Valve Index cost $1000. And this sounds very comparable to that.

My bet is it'll cost $500. It'll include the headset, the controllers, and a long ass USB-C cable.
The only thing I’d add to this is I bet they make a wireless accessory for it. It’ll be expensive (like $250+) but then they can say true freedom high fidelity VR, and still less than the Index with a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom