• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSX (Playstation Experience) Attendees Thread Dec 6-7 2014

Pennywise

He said there are a lot of issues restricting the release of Shenmue.

Yeah I heard that already from other people.
Well at least he is trying it and hopefully he will succeed one day.
I bet even getting Yakuza 5 localised was a pain with SEGA and the game repeats with Yakuza Zero.

Gonna treat both of them to a beer when/if they're in Germany next year.

I think the obvious one would be development costs. Building a new Shenmue is going to be extremely expensive if it ever happens. Especially since Suzuki wants to wrap it up with Shenmue 3. If people were just pushing for Shenmue + Shenmue 2 HD, then that'd probably be a lot more doable. But if they do that then people are obviously going to expect them to also fund Shenmue 3.

I think the obvious one would be development costs. Building a new Shenmue is going to be extremely expensive if it ever happens. Especially since Suzuki wants to wrap it up with Shenmue 3. If people were just pushing for Shenmue + Shenmue 2 HD, then that'd probably be a lot more doable. But if they do that then people are obviously going to expect them to also fund Shenmue 3.
Why not fund the remakes and then make a sequel dependant on performance?

Pennywise

Why not fund the remakes and then make a sequel dependant on performance?
It's not really that easy, sadly...
There are really alot of factors that play a major rule.
HD Remakes could be certainly part of the third party team, but I doubt to green-light something as massive as Shenmue 3 could be made so easily by anyone.
And you've got SEGA, how are they involved ? What happens to the rights ? And who is actually developing it ?
I guess Yu Suzuki is a given, but who else ?
There are still plenty of people from the old Shenmue team at SEGA.
They're occupied with Yakuza though and that's another factor that might play a role.
So many open questions, I'll remain hopeful.

Gio really delievered.

The SF5 leak changed the entire presentation.

Adam Boyes is the coolest fucker around and Giant Sparrow kicks ass.

Not suprising when the bomb goes off early D:

krae_man

Soo tired need sleep. Promised I'd do this:

Nmfblxw.jpg

Shenmue 3 would be a financial disaster if it was ever made. It doesn't have the appeal needed to be successful. I hope they don't seriously pursue it. I would rather them focus their efforts elsewhere.

Son of a... I went back to my hotel to drop off my swag bag. Figured I'd take an hour nap before the meetup, on account of me being tired with the time change here. Set my alarm for an hour later and woke up just now. Checking my alarm I set it for the wrong day. D'oh! Glad to see everyone had a blast last night! I'll for sure be at the meetup tonight, though.

I'm going to play The Order if it kills me. Lines were pretty long yesterday so i'm gonna beeline for it first thing.

Has anyone else from GAF played Drawn to Death? I've played a fair bit and think it's fantastic. Definitely give it a try...if anyone wants to meet up and check it out, hit me up sometime later today.

Meader

Wasn't sure where to post this but has anyone seen a full list of games playable on the show floor anywhere?

Everyone still down for a dinner after the show ends?

Wanna just wander somewhere on site for the meal?
I'm game for dinner tonight. I would like to request one of yhe Vegas buffets here in the strip, though. It's one of those things I've heard all about.

krae_man

Oh forgot to post this yesterday day.

Dude who checked my bag at the door yesterday:

"Oh shit, is that a nine mil?

Me: No

Dude: okay, *let's me through*

it was my camera

salromano

Next person who bumps into Gio, ask him about Yakuza 0.

Specifically, this:

Hi, gaiz.

So I'm looking at this PR contact list Sony gave out on its press site for third-party assets.

And under Sega, it says:

1HBclmg.jpg

(I've blacked out the names and e-mails.)

Not trying to get everyone's hopes up, but I'm contacting Sega now and will report back.

The response is here:

Hey Salvatore,

We have no news on Yakuza Zero at the moment and the listing is an error.

Best,

Sorry. Generic PR response indeed.

DMczaf

Nice meeting everyone last night, everyone was cool. Thanks Adam and Gio are cool as fuck, and Johnny V is Johnny V as fuck (complement!). Thank you to everyone who paid for drinks.

I somehow lost $40 on a video black jack machine in the bar area that I didn't remember until I noticed $40 missing in my wallet. #PlaystationStories #4ThePlayers

More info please! As many others have asked, any word on release timeframe?

I asked for a window, and he wouldn't even give me that.

I like that you can have local coop players mixed with online coop players at the same time. Other than that, it seemed the same as all the impressions I've read for almost a year.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
Holy fuck. Chilling w/ Boyes.

I asked Gio Corsi what was his his number 1 request and he said Shenmue:

p3c1abh.gif

Matthew Kilpatrick [aka LanDC, ex-admin and veteran contributor on Shenmue Dojo fansite] met with GioCorsi at PSX, too:

lmVdTcG.jpg

Don't give up Shenmue fans!

About this bit of information; there was another Gaffer/insider who (in question about "Why SEGA didn't make a Shenmue HD Collection for PS360 again?") said:

Afaik, it's mostly due to legal/copyright reasons.

back in '12 you may remember that Sega went into a port spree. JSR, Nights...they thought it was a great idea, with very low risk and nice proft potential since, well, they don't want to fund traditional AAA anymore. Multiple ports were in development, among them was the canceled Skies of Arcadia port.

Shenmue case was special since not many people know this, but apparently the engine for both games uses licensed technology. It's not Bink Video or Sofdec codecs, apparently it's related to the very own engine.

Well, the thing is, according to what I've been told, the owner of those technologies folded years ago, and it's not clear who owns the copyright now.

Someone shown Sega a working Shenmue prototype for Xbox 360...but after disappointing sales by JSR and Nights, they didn't care enough to bother with the legal hassle. So it never went through the prototype stage, and the Skies of Arcadia port was canceled.

And I guess my dream of getting Model 3/later arcade games ports went to shit as well ;(

[Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=101432168&postcount=74]

krae_man

Alrightin the drawn to death line, then podcast beyond and story time and I'm good.

Only thing I missed out on is The Order and I'm not waiting that long.

I've gotten to the boss four times in Bloodborne and just can't win. Not that the boss isn't hard, but standing so close to these huge TVs doesn't make it any easier.

Top Bottom