• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG passes 3 million players on Xbox One by end of December

...that's not even three weeks of the game having been launched on Xbox, I believe. HOLY CRAP.

Twitter
Xbox.com

Since PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG) launched on Xbox One through the Xbox Game Preview program, it’s been awesome to see the excitement and passion on display from the Xbox community. Whether you’re streaming in the HypeZone on Mixer or battling for a chicken dinner with your squad, players on Xbox are helping build and improve the game on console. Today, PUBG Corp. and Xbox are excited to share that through the end of 2017 the PUBG community on Xbox One has already grown to over three million players. Thank you for your incredible support!

I knew it would be successful, but this is surpassing my expectations. How long until 10million on Xbox?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Congrats to Xbox on this release.

The game better be doing well with the full court press the whole Xbox team has been engaged in.

All the top Xbox brass tweets every PUBG piece of info and Mixer made its own channel for it (hypezone).

All in all I still prefer Fortnite but I understand many prefer PUBG.

splattered

Wife and I tried both PUBG and Fortnite, definitely prefer PUBG. I can't wait for it to be not so broken though haha

Also... I have a really hard time getting into the top 10 if I don't use a vehicle.

I'll admit it... I get WAY more kills with vehicles than I do guns in this game :p

Last edited:

NicknameMy

Neo Member
One of the worst optimized games ever being so popular is disgusting. It just shows that developers can always be lazy with optimizing their games and don't need to put effort into it, as people are going to buy them anyway.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
One of the worst optimized games ever being so popular is disgusting. It just shows that developers can always be lazy with optimizing their games and don't need to put effort into it, as people are going to buy them anyway.
Yeah they really should have just put it out as an Early Access title, that way it could still be worked on and developed alongside player and community feedback, and possibly provide stability and performance updates once a week or so.

Wait a minute...

Last edited:

CRAIG667

One of the most addictive games I've ever played! The recent patches are really pushing things in the right direction too.

CeeJay

I need to view a review to understand why this is so popular l mean does it even have a single player campaign?

joke post?

edit: Sorry if you were been serious and really don't know anything about the game. It's the biggest selling game of 2017 and is looking to carry on that trend into 2018 too. There is no single player campaign, correct. No practice arena with bots, just purely online multiplayer. huge map, 100 players start and the last man standing wins. Watch some streams to get a better idea of how it works.

Last edited:

AphexTwunt

I just do not understand why this game so is so popular either, its just doesnt interest me at all.

It's possible to not be interested in a game but also understand it's appeal to others. You've only to read any PUBG thread to get a taste of why it's become the phenomenon that it is.

Calibos

Congrats to the teams responsible for this game’s Xbox release! That’s an amazing number for 3 weeks on the market.

On top of the full court press marketing, there has been a full court press on updates. Exceeding my expectations before the game launched as I thought updates would be once a month at best.

I can’t stop playing it. 70 hours in a month is a lot for me and this game is going to have looooong legs on console just like PC.

See you all at the School.

theHFIC

It's a great game. Well deserved. Hopefully it gets the optimizations it needs while in early access on Xbox.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I really hope sony learned from this colossal blunder. Instead of stupid pointless marketing deals for muliplatform games money would been much better spent helping bring pubg to the PS4. Out side first party studios sony has screwed up over and over since the launch of the PS4. Sony needs to start firing management who thought pubg was not worth investing in.

BANGS

Banned
That's really surprising, but hype is a real factor in sales. This game is a top streamed game on twitch and youtube, so it's no surprise that translated to such high success.

But in all honestly, this just shouldn't be so successful. It doesn't deserve it in the least. It's a horrible port of an unfinished game that is incredibly limited. As if that wasn't bad enough they have direct competition from Fortnite, a MUCH more polished and completely free game that is arguably superior depending on your tastes. But here is is, selling like gangbusters and doing well. It's truly groundbreaking in this regard, and shows how a marketable niche that's been shilled left and right for free can mean alot more success than just making a quality game. I can only imagine how successful this game could be if Fortnite didn't exist...

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
the game runs and looks like shit on the main start spawn.
then it continues to look crap in the sky,

Then it looks and runs just fine when you land.
With some dips in places (millitary base some big towns etc)

Sometimes like max 3 times in 1 match you get a strange rubber banding thing.
When the server puts you back 3 foot on the world.

but def playable. So for anyone on the fence for the xbox one version.
Go get it they patched most of it. (Day 1 it was utter shit)

Last edited:

Artistic

I really hope sony learned from this colossal blunder. Instead of stupid pointless marketing deals for muliplatform games money would been much better spent helping bring pubg to the PS4. Out side first party studios sony has screwed up over and over since the launch of the PS4. Sony needs to start firing management who thought pubg was not worth investing in.
Moneyhatting is frowned upon amongst gamers no?
MS spin again, so in reality like 1.5 million sold?

Good result noteless

My guess is 2-3 million in sales.

CeeJay

That's really surprising, but hype is a real factor in sales. This game is a top streamed game on twitch and youtube, so it's no surprise that translated to such high success.

But in all honestly, this just shouldn't be so successful. It doesn't deserve it in the least. It's a horrible port of an unfinished game that is incredibly limited. As if that wasn't bad enough they have direct competition from Fortnite, a MUCH more polished and completely free game that is arguably superior depending on your tastes. But here is is, selling like gangbusters and doing well. It's truly groundbreaking in this regard, and shows how a marketable niche that's been shilled left and right for free can mean alot more success than just making a quality game. I can only imagine how successful this game could be if Fortnite didn't exist...

The thing is, everyone knows the game is janky and unpolished, its not like anyone is trying to sell a lie with PUBG. The game is what it is and it also happens to be the most fun, refreshing and exhilarating gaming experience I have had in a very long time if not ever. There is no need to get so angry about the game selling well, you don't need to buy it yourself if it doesn't meet your technical expectations it absolutely does deserve the success it is seeing. This generation has been obsessed with performance, polish and pixel counting. Maybe people are starting to realize that this polish doesn't indicate the quality of the experience. A lot of those AAA highly polished games are the most sterile and dull experiences out there and some for me have genuinely felt like a chore, just going through the motions even though the framerate is rock solid and the visuals are stunning. The truth is that people play games for many reasons and high on a lot of peoples list is the way that it makes you feel, an experience that gives you an escape into a different world that you wouldn't normally get to feel. The tension PUBG generates has made me feel (and lots of others judging by the comments I've read) like my heart is going to burst out my chest and I have had to physically go into another room to calm down afterwards waiting for my heart rate to go down enough to start the next game. The only other time I have felt like this in my life has been in the physical world and usually in a potentially dangerous situation. That adrenaline rush is an addictive drug and the feeling PUBG gives is not dissimilar to a bungee jump or downhill mountain biking. It's this feeling that is bringing people back time after time. I am not sure why you are saying that the game is incredibly limited, I have never had two games play out the same way and haven't yet found a single strategy that works every time. You start off with a game plan in mind but usually something happens that makes you have to re-evaluate and change your plan in the blink of an eye. One negative I would say is that the vehicle game is still overpowered and you very rarely see a small circle without someone tearing around in a car. I am sure that this will be addressed as the game develops.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Maybe people are starting to realize that this polish doesn't indicate the quality of the experience.
Actually, it always has and always will. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of unpolished(sometimes purposely) games out there that are tons of fun to play. PUBG, Goat simulator, I am bread, etc are all great examples of this. But when you compare games like say, A Hat in Time vs. Mario Odyssey and you can see exactly why polish is a huge deal...

JRW

Considering how bad PUBG used to run on PC (unless you had top end hardware) I never thought the game would even make it to this generation of console at all. they'll probably continue to improve console performance, PC version just got a 6.2GB update 2 days ago with a ton of fixes / changes and further performance improvements.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Moneyhatting is frowned upon amongst gamers no?

There is different shades of money hats. This was a good one ms is pumping money and resources into a game that desperately needs it. The development team would never be able to do it on their own. Sony should of offered up the ice team and money to beef up the development teams staffing levels. It was sony management being out of touch. Instead they spent millions on exclusive strikes and other pointless marketing deals. Instead of bringing the biggest game of the last few years day 1 to the PS4.

CeeJay

Actually, it always has and always will. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of unpolished(sometimes purposely) games out there that are tons of fun to play. PUBG, Goat simulator, I am bread, etc are all great examples of this. But when you compare games like say, A Hat in Time vs. Mario Odyssey and you can see exactly why polish is a huge deal...
Goat simulator and I am bread are not a good comparison as people play those specifically for the jank, its a novelty. PUBG would be awesome if it ran perfectly and looked amazing, I don't think you would find anyone who wouldn't want it to run better and be polished. Everyone looks past those things though because the core game is so good, there is a distinct difference. If Mario wasn't polished would it be as good a game? Possibly, possibly not... If PUBG was polished would it be a better game? Absolutely!

atpbx

It's possible to not be interested in a game but also understand it's appeal to others. You've only to read any PUBG thread to get a taste of why it's become the phenomenon that it is.

It is, however I have no interest in it, and have read about it, and still dont understand why its so popular.

Last edited:

Horns

That's damn good considering it's not a full release title. This is one of those titles where it will continue to sell because it's a social game and there's nothing like it on consoles.

So question for Gaf, I dont game on PC but does the Xbox One version of Pubg have first person view? considering grabbing it but not if its just third person.

You're talking about a game that didn't even run that well on PC initially and expecting it to play as smooth as butter on console. I dunno, it just seems kind of unfair to assume that the devs aren't trying to optimize it when in reality they probably are. Regardless, grats to PUBG on the sales.

Sentenza

So is this more popular than COD and BF now?
Let's put in this way: I remember that at some point few years back Microsoft bragged that COD reached 500,000 concurrent players on Xbox Live (or was it daily player? Can't remember for sure).
PUBG is sitting at 3,000,000 concurrent players on Steam alone and (allegedly) selling like hot cakes on Xbox too.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I got my first Chicken Dinner solo on the Xbox. My heart was pounding so hard. No game has ever made my heart rate accelerate where I could actually feel it physically. PC or consoles, you have to experience this game.

gypsygib

Or maybe people are having fun with it despite running terribly.

And I'm pretty sure they're doing everything they can to make it work as well as it can on xbox hardware. Remember, PCs with MUCH better CPUs don't run the game that well.

IISANDERII

GT Sport also passed 3 million.

There was a thread a few months ago about which exclusive would win the holidays. Does anybody know Mario Odyssey sales?

n0razi

Its says alot when people know PUBG is buggy and janky and yet they prefer it to more polished AAA releases... more fun than Nintendo

munroe

Just got my first chicken dinner this evening! Performance on the X is ok, I do seem to get rubber banding issues now and then when on foot which can get annoying though.

Top Bottom