• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Public domain IPs that never got a game adaptation

Shizuka

I was thinking about public domains that have never been adapted into games, but that could prove to be a good venture for creative developers. Is there any IP that has never been done before?

Night of the Living Dead jumps to mind.

Uh, pretty sure that's not public domain.

Has there ever been a Wizard of Oz game based on the books?

Editing to add:

Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn? Not sure how you'd get a game out of them, but that's some very famous public domain material.

Shizuka

Has there ever been a Wizard of Oz game based on the book?

I don't know if it's based on the book, but:

97987_front.jpg

Spman2099

I was thinking about public domains that have never been adapted into games, but that could prove to be a good venture for creative developers. Is there any IP that has never been done before?

None of Arthur Machen's work has been delved into; not in games, at least. His stuff is horror gold. Guillermo del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth took a lot from Machen's work. So yeah, that is a damn good place to start.

Berrigal

Neo Member
I think Zorro could be used for an interesting game, provided there was a decent story/team behind it. Otherwise, I'd have to say Dr Jekyll./Mr Hyde (yes, we all know about that ONE game) or something based on the trials of Hercules would be awesome.

There's a surprising lack of Shakespeare in video games.

Not like "Hamlet: The Video Game" but games that use story elements from Shakespeare plays (like Lion King for example), or even games that flow kind of like a play.

Airola

Yes it is.

"Night of the Living Dead entered the public domain in the United States because the original theatrical distributor, the Walter Reade Organization, neglected to place a copyright indication on the prints. In 1968, United States copyright law required a proper notice for a work to maintain a copyright."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Living_Dead#Copyright_status

However, I don't really know if that only allows free copying of the movie and freedom to create remakes and new movies based on the original film, or if it's also allowed to be used on different mediums such as video games too.

Nottle

There is a lot of classic literature that probably could be used. When I was in highschool I thought it would be funny if Kh crossed with Oedipus Rex... something about the way disney adapted other greek mythology in a kid friendly way felt really strange to me.

When's my To Kill a Mockingbird Ace Attorney cross over?

Has there ever been a Wizard of Oz game based on the books?

Editing to add:

Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn? Not sure how you'd get a game out of them, but that's some very famous public domain material.
Tom Sawyer is in code name Steam. Wizard of Oz too

Daknight

There is a lot of classic literature that probably could be used. When I was in highschool I thought it would be funny if Kh crossed with Oedipus Rex... something about the way disney adapted other greek mythology in a kid friendly way felt really strange to me.

When's my To Kill a Mockingbird Ace Attorney cross over?

To Kill a Mockingbird isn't in public domain.

Bulzeeb

well this is kinda off topic and I haven't really looked but is there any kind of internet archive for public domain books? because I am not even sure of what books are public domain and what are still under some kind of copyright

To Kill a Mockingbird isn't in public domain.

I also thought it was, so it would be really nice if someone could point me in the right direction

Nottle

There is a game based on Tom Sawyer by Winkysoft for the NES.
NES_Adventures_of_Tom_Sawyer_Box.JPG
I raise you one Tom Sawyer game developed by Square with music by Nobous Uematsu, directed by Hiroyuki Ito, who would later direct Final Fantasy VI, IX, and XII. As well as deign the battle system for most of the games after 4, including Tactics.
Complete with one horribly offensive African stereotype.
Squares_tom_sawyer_package.png

Fasty

I think Zorro could be used for an interesting game, provided there was a decent story/team behind it. Otherwise, I'd have to say Dr Jekyll./Mr Hyde (yes, we all know about that ONE game) or something based on the trials of Hercules would be awesome.

Zorro was another C64 game I absolutely loved! The music was amazing too (no way I'm going to listen to it now and ruin my rose tinted memories of it though!)

zorro_02.gif

Edit: I caved. It totally holds up, heh https://youtu.be/mnwaLJBsg_8

Alx

Arthurian legends are very influential, but I don't remember any (major ?) game taking place in those times and events.
(well there was that hilarious Monty Pythons Holy Grail game on PC, but that's not a direct reference ;) ).

I raise you one Tom Sawyer game developed by Square with music by Nobous Uematsu, directed by Hiroyuki Ito, who would later direct Final Fantasy VI, IX, and XII. As well as deign the battle system for most of the games after 4, including Tactics.
Complete with one horribly offensive African stereotype.
Squares_tom_sawyer_package.png

a-history-of-insensitivity-20090306041728655.jpg

Wow.

egocrata

Banned
There is a ton of classic literature that is just plainly ignored and could make amazing games:

- Three Musketeers, and pretty much anything from A. Dumas
- Don Quixote could make a GREAT open world, mind bending game.
- Cavalry novels, in general - there are a ton of great tales there.
- Treasure Island and anything Robert Louis Stephenson.
- William fucking Shakespeare. Either use the characters, or rift on them.
- Picaresque novels - open world, rogue sims galore.
- Jules Verne. 80 days is awesome, and is a text based adventure!
- HG Wells novels
- Dracula, Frankestein and pretty much all Victorian horror novels are in public domain now.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. There is a lot of good stuff out there. We don't even have a true, great Cthulhu Mythos game. Come on,

Arthurian legends are very influential, but I don't remember any (major ?) game taking place in those times and events.
(well there was that hilarious Monty Pythons Holy Grail game on PC, but that's not a direct reference ;) ).

Wikipedia has a whole category. Admittedly many are tie-ins, or just used as material for an established franchises, but others are original.

Actually struggling a little to think of things, but I don't think the Epic of Gilgamesh has ever really gotten true usage in a video game. The closest I've ever seen is the Fate franchise, but really for the most part it just attaches the name to an anime pretty boy with ridiculous powers - the actual journey of the character goes untapped.

well this is kinda off topic and I haven't really looked but is there any kind of internet archive for public domain books? because I am not even sure of what books are public domain and what are still under some kind of copyright

Project Gutenberg is a long-term effort to digitize out-of-copyright books. I think they carefully vet everything that goes up.

Top Bottom