• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons grossed $1.5 billion in 2013

So it is this game and GTA 5 for top grossing video game for 2013?

And I have a feeling PnD may win here as I'm not sure GTA 5 sold 25 million @ an average cost of $60 US. And that of course is retail gross, not company gross.

Road

So it is this game and GTA 5 for top grossing video game for 2013?

And I have a feeling PnD may win here as I'm not sure GTA 5 sold 25 million @ an average cost of $60 US. And that of course is retail gross, not company gross.

Yeah, P&D "retail gross" is actually higher than $1.5 billion, since that's only the 70% GungHo takes in. Total consumer spent was more like $2 billion (estimated just dividing 1.5 by 0.7).

GTA5 would need over 33 million copies at $60 to achieve that.

DrLazy

Its a hell of a basket to have your eggs in. The game was originally made by three people. It'll be so sad when the franchise runs dry and all the creators have to spend their time on their yachts or personal trips to space. :(

18-Volt

They need to do a pokémon themed version on 3DS. This would have much more potential than a stupid Trozei game.

massoluk

Banned
Well deserved, played it too much that in the end I don't mind buying about $35 worth of stones from them this past year, felt like they deserved it.

My GOTY last year, one of the few votes it received.

dtg

Neo Member
It's pretty fun, I stopped playing when I couldn't progress much further without grinding a lot due to RNG. I need to add more friends or something. Fun match-3ish game though.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The worrying part, Puzzle & Dragons accounted for over 90% of all GungHo sales in 2013.

I'd love for my company to have the "problem" of everything but our top tier game only bringing in $150m annually.

I don't think GungHo are twats like King and Zynga.

They aren't. It's a very different company. They are into patronage of art (why else would you buy Grasshopper Manufacture and bankroll Metacritic51?) and put a huge emphasis on customer satisfaction and retention over just expanding their customer base.

for example, most big P&D updates contain a large number of upgrades for existing monsters so that they don't get left behind in the game's power creep (that power creep is largely unavoidable, btw-it's just the nature of the beast) and buff monsters that aren't very good. These updates are far more numerous than new monsters that may only be acquirable via their random monster machine.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Well done, GH. I don't play anymore, but I definitely contributed to that bottom line.

Plissken

I enjoyed it for a couple months, then I hit a wall in progression (Castle of Satan just destroys me) and stopped playing. Moved on to Marvel Puzzle Quest. Probably could progress if I bothered to read up on proper monster leveling/EVO/etc, but eh.

linsivvi

I have never even heard of that game.

I guess I don't understand the mobile market much.

It's like Puzzle Quest, but way deeper, and requires more matching skills.

You can play it casually, or you can play it hardcore. That's what makes the game so successful.

Sakujou

Banned
I assumed it wasnt available anywhere.. its not in UK android or itunes stores.

lol really? that game is available in germany, but not in the UK!?!

how is this possible?
oh and that game is in english(a lot of german peeps complain in the appstore if games or apps are not translated)

SmokyDave

lol really? that game is available in germany, but not in the UK!?!

how is this possible?
oh and that game is in english(a lot of german peeps complain in the appstore if games or apps are not translated)

It is out in England. It's been on the app store for 3 months.

Usobuko

Banned
Behemoth. They can use these money to fund more console games even if it they bomb'd!

$4M a day revenue is surely the top of the pack isn't it?

Warewolf

The worrying part, Puzzle & Dragons accounted for over 90% of all GungHo sales in 2013.

At $1.5B It would want to be ~ 90% otherwise you're looking at what, multiple $200M+ grossing properties?

Unless you're talking about the fact that a mobile game is doing those numbers when GungHo have multiple "traditional" games currently available. That speaks more to Japanese market conditions I'd bet.

Sakujou

Banned
It is out in England. It's been on the app store for 3 months.

sry, misunderstood it, some others were comlaining about the android version...

the game is free, why arent you guys just downloading the apk from the internet and install it manually? the game is free, nothing wrong there...?

Great game, unfortunately my phone got wiped and of course I lost my "secret code". Must have put at least $50 in it...which is $50 more than I had put in any mobile game before

Contact gungho. If you spent money on the game they have a way to locate your account and restore it for you. I think they will do that once for anyone who has spent money.

Top Bottom