• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q4 2017: Monitors are a solved problem (Computex announcements)

Durante

Today, at Computex 2017, we unveiled two new 35” curved G-SYNC HDR monitors from Acer and ASUS. Featuring a 21:9 aspect ratio, 3440x1440 resolution, and 1800R curvature, these monitors provide wrap-around immersion for gameplay, videos and day-to-day desktop work.

The monitors' new 35” LCD panel was designed in concert with AU Optronics, delivering the ultimate in HDR and gaming capabilities in a curved 21:9 wide-aspect ratio. Making full use of the bandwidth of the latest DisplayPort 1.4 specification, the WQHD panel refreshes at up to 200Hz for tear-free, ultra-smooth, responsive gaming. And, its HDR capabilities break new ground with a 512 zone full direct array backlight that sports a peak brightness of 1000 nits, for stunning and intense highlights, and exceptional contrast. In addition, DCI-P3 color gamut support is enhanced with a Quantum Dot Enhancement Film (QDEF) for outstanding color expression.

To summarize:
  • 3440x1440 @ 35" (ideal PPI for real estate / usability for legacy applications)
  • 200 Hz G-sync (holy crap)
  • 512 zone backlight (that's some of the highest I've ever seen, and we still don't even have a single released monitor with zoned backlight)
  • HDR with 1000 nits max brightness and DCI-P3 color gamut (together with the zoned backlight: actual HDR!)

It's basically exactly what I want. If there's no big snafu in the implementation I'm all the way there.

kuYuri

I was reading this earlier and was like holy shit, these are the monitors I wanted.

My only question is are these VA, IPS, or some other type of panel?

Mifec

Is it finally time to go wide?
I was reading this earlier and was like holy shit, these are the
monitors I wanted.

My only question is are these VA, IPS, or some other type of panel?

IPS but hopefully the zoned backlight fixes it.

edit: Durante my dude got you already.

bachikarn

Sweet, this is basically what I've been waiting for (although the announcement of 32:16 monitors next year is making me question that a little bit).

thuway

Going to be 4 years before it comes mass market affordable. By that time hopefully OLED will be in these things.

Daedardus

And yet within 10 years we'll look at this thread and think "$2000 for that crap? It doesn't even have crazy feature xx!".

e90Mark

Those 35" panel specs are huge. 200hz @ 3440x1440p? Awesome.

With the 16:9 27" 4K monitors releasing at 144hz this year, can hope to see them at 200hz+ at the next generation of these.

Bolivar687

Banned
Been waiting for these non-4k monitors with HDR and crazy framerates. Looking forward to see how the landscape shapes out after computex

I wish they would stop pasting images on monitors that don't accurately represent the bezel widths. There are some truly horrible examples in that Nvidia piece.

MaLDo

For now just buy a 4K HDR TV then.....

Terrible input lag (>20ms)
No GSync.
4K is too much for current games at great framerates. 4K is 8 milion pixels and that monitor is 5 milions. I found that 2880x1800 is a good balance for locked 60 fps with a GTX1080. That resolution is 5 milions too.

The problem with too wide aspect ratios is the cpu is more stressed.

JordanKZ

I have this monitor's predecessor, these are huge upgrades that will only improve it.

Ultra wide, assuming you have the desk space and the money, are the future.

Edit: to the 'fuck curved monitor' people: it's extremely useful, if not completely necessary, for large wide monitors.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
1440 ain't gonna cut it for me, 4k or bust. Even 2x scaling for applications is ideal, and is the basis of most "retina" screens.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Man I want so bad.

Thinking I'm gonna get a 60hz 32in 1440p 16:9 panel. There's one that's like 400$ and it seems like a huge upgrade from my first gen 24in 144hz tn panel.

It'll be sad to see high frame rates go but Ithe res and screen size are gonna be worth it.

If only I could just find 2grand somewhere.

OLED still has burn in issues so its not really suitable for computer monitors (also expensive af)

This monitor sounds like a beast, local dimming is awesome. Cant wait to see it with my own eyes

Paganmoon

Basically what I've been waiting for to replace my desktop monitor. And Curved is good for PC-monitors imo, specially at ultrawide. I've got 2 24" monitors, both at work and at home, and having them flat can be annoying at times.

Curved TV's I never understood though.

But like... shit, I can't currently think of anything the monitor would be missing for me right now.

Fredrik

Nice! :D
But to be honest, coming from a triple screen setup I think I need something even wider to be satisfied. The height could make up for it though.
But how does these wide screens work in old games. Are there games that gets stretched?

RCSI

After years of dealing with the products of lackluster development in monitors, these monitors certainly are a dream turned reality.

Nice! :D
But to be honest, coming from a triple screen setup I think I need something even wider to be satisfied. The height could make up for it though.
But how does these wide screens work in old games. Are there games that gets stretched?

Samsung is coming out with a 32:9 screen soon, its not really triple screen, but 2 widescreens together.

As for games, it depends on the game really, some have community patchers that allow games to run in the proper aspect ratio/fov.

Durante

After years of dealing with the products of lackluster development in monitors, these monitors certainly are a dream turned reality.
You understand me.

Honestly, ever since NV introduced G-sync monitors got exciting again. The entire decade before that was basically forgettable.

1440 ain't gonna cut it for me, 4k or bust. Even 2x scaling for applications is ideal, and is the basis of most "retina" screens.
If you use 2x scaling on a 4k monitor your actual working area will be 1920x1080, which is far too small for me.
And with native 4k on a viable monitor size you are at PPI levels that make it hard to work with many applications.

For my use cases, this size/PPI is perfect.

plushyp

Since I'm not swimming in cash, I'll just settle for a 27" 2K HDR 144Hz G-SYNC monitor. While it'll still cost a lot of money, atleast it won't be super exorbitant. Can do without ultra-wide or curved.

Shin

Banned
Good progress overall, should have more choices by the time I build a new comp.
Don't like the curve, feet and thick bezel or the crazy "look at me I'm a gamer" design.

Top Bottom