• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q4 2017: Monitors are a solved problem (Computex announcements)

Leeroy605

Hope people don't mind me piggybacking this thread for a question...

Looking to buy an ultrawide monitor for my PC gaming. Currently use a KS8000 TV which is great but miss playing sitting at a desk with a proper keyboard and mouse setup (use a Roccat Sova lapboard sitting on my bed at the moment).

The monitors announced here at too much for my budget, so looking for an already released one. Few questions though:

1. Will I notice a massive difference in clarity coming from 4k to an ultrawide 1440p monitor?

2. Is G Sync necessary or will a high Hz monitor be okay? G Sync seems to push the price up quite a bit. Using a 1080ti so should be able to keep relatively high frame rates...Thanks!

Paragon

1. Will I notice a massive difference in clarity coming from 4k to an ultrawide 1440p monitor?
Well it depends on the size of the display and the viewing distance, but at the same viewing distance a 40" 4K TV is equivalent in sharpness (pixel density) to a 34" 3440x1440 ultrawide.
A larger TV would be less sharp - though you would probably also sit further back.
This pixels per degree calculator would give you an accurate result if you fill it all out. Higher pixels per degree = sharper image.

2. Is G Sync necessary or will a high Hz monitor be okay? G Sync seems to push the price up quite a bit. Using a 1080ti so should be able to keep relatively high frame rates...Thanks!
VRR support (i.e. G-Sync) is essential for high refresh rate monitors in my opinion.

Sami+

Hope people don't mind me piggybacking this thread for a question...

Looking to buy an ultrawide monitor for my PC gaming. Currently use a KS8000 TV which is great but miss playing sitting at a desk with a proper keyboard and mouse setup (use a Roccat Sova lapboard sitting on my bed at the moment).

The monitors announced here at too much for my budget, so looking for an already released one. Few questions though:

I got the $900 AOC Agon and it's worth it imo. When it comes to monitors it doesn't hurt to splurge because ideally you'll want it to last for a good number of years. If you prefer Nvidia (especially since you have a 1080ti) it's just the smarter investment imo. I was in a similar situation as you before I upgraded where I wasn't sure if I wanted a Vega 64 and Freesync monitor for cheaper or spend the extra cash on a GTX 1080 with the Agon. Ultimately decided that I didn't want to be handcuffed to AMD for the next 5+ years to take advantage of my monitor and don't regret spending that extra money.

molnizzle

I wish someone would make one of these monitors with equal sized bezels on all sides.

Make the top, left and right fatter if the bottom has to be that big. Do whatever you have to do, just make the damn bezels match.

dr_rus

What you will notice is wholly dependent on how you use your TV and plan to use the monitor. It's unlikely that you will notice much difference in clarity if your 4K TV is more than a couple of meters away from you in your setup.

This depends on how much you like vsync. If you can live without it (meaning - with tearing) then gsync isn't essential. If you can't then gsync is preferable.

Paragon

This depends on how much you like vsync. If you can live without it (meaning - with tearing) then gsync isn't essential. If you can't then gsync is preferable.
It’s not essential if you’re only thinking of G-Sync as something which reduces latency.
On a high refresh rate monitor that lacks G-Sync, disabling V-Sync results in stuttering and screen tearing.

dr_rus

It’s not essential if you’re only thinking of G-Sync as something which reduces latency.
On a high refresh rate monitor that lacks G-Sync, disabling V-Sync results in stuttering and screen tearing.

Screen tearing sure, stuttering - not really.

Hesemonni

Banned
What is the best place to go for PC monitor reviews now a days? I used to go to tftcentral.co.uk, but the rate they release reviews nowadays is really slow nowadays.

Durante

What is the best place to go for PC monitor reviews now a days? I used to go to tftcentral.co.uk, but the rate they release reviews nowadays is really slow nowadays.
Sadly, no other monitor review site matches tftcentral.co.uk.
Prad.de is pretty good, but German.

dr_rus

Actually, either screen tearing or (micro-)stuttering. Depending on whether or not you enable V-sync.

Yes, but he said "disabling V-Sync results in stuttering" which isn't really true. Screen "wobbling" because of teared partial frames being shown - sure, but not stuttering. In fact, disabling vsync is almost a universal recipe in curing any stuttering you may have.

Paragon

Yes, but he said "disabling V-Sync results in stuttering" which isn't really true. Screen "wobbling" because of teared partial frames being shown - sure, but not stuttering. In fact, disabling vsync is almost a universal recipe in curing any stuttering you may have.
Disabling V-Sync doesn't eliminate stuttering.
It can be smoother than V-Sync On if you can't keep the framerate locked to the refresh rate, but it can't be perfectly smooth, since frames are presented out of sync with the refresh rate.

Warping is indeed a problem when you disable V-Sync:
sync-warping36s9r.gif

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Brand new AOC Agon AG271QG(165Hz IPS Gsync) for $500. Good deal or no?
Uses the same IPS panel as the Acer XB271HU & Asus PG279Q I believe.

dr_rus

So yeah, latest news on these aren't so good.

- 27" 4K 144Hz Gsync panels are expected for release in 1Q18 now.
- 35" UW 144Hz Gsync are delayed to 2Q18.
- There's also a new 32" 4K 144Hz panel from AUO planned for 3/4Q18 now.

It also looks like we'll see a lot of "HDR" panels next year which won't really be able to pull off HDR but will be better (if having higher brightness can be called that) than current panels.

Also LGPD seems to plan to produce a 144Hz HDR version of their popular 3440x1440 UW panel some time in 2Q 2018.

spad3

I'm in the market for new monitors but i can't decide whether I should go 3x 24" Gysnc or 1x UW 4K Gsync. I was hoping these HDR ones would come out by the holiday season but with the delay I might just hold off.

God, all these delays. Not to mention that Maximum PC was told this past summer that the Asus 4k144hz panel was going to retail for $2500. Really glad the Zisworks stuff popped up when it did, even as raw as it is.

Top Bottom