• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions is great

VN1X

Banned
Played it loads but the devs pretty much abandoned it.

It's a shame because the art itself is really great. They've done an amazing job on the weapon and character skins. It's all very high detailed stuff. I even bought the game twice! Once on day one and the other purchase was so I could get that big ass Scalebearer statue (gave the game key to my gf).

Quake_Champions_-_Unboxing-93a8e6fcb5af4763.jpg

I really enjoyed my time with it but aside from holiday map variants they never bothered to put some actual support behind it. Games like these need a ton of maps and a community workshop but none of those things came to fruition unfortunately.

Last edited:

chigstoke

I have Quake Champions but I've never really given it any time.

How is the gameplay compared to Q3? Because that's always been my default benchmark for any game like this.
Last Quake related thing I've touched is Q2 RTX, but nothing competitive.

Still praying in vain for a Q1 remake. Salivating at the thought of that game remade in the new ID Tech engine.

MiguelItUp

It's still really sad that this game has been on life support for awhile. The community and demand is there, but I guess they just don't care to focus on Quake Champions more than they currently do. Which is incredibly little.

Hope that just means we're getting a new and proper Quake in the future.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
BTW for anyone getting into the game

Q = rocket launcher
E = electrical gun
R = railgun

Recommend changing to that configuration.

I see I posted in this thread a year ago. They still haven't added waifus and their game is still dead.

Tygeezy

Quake didn’t need hero’s with abilities. I’m very much over the hero shooter genre. It’s extremely hard to balance hero shooters and if you stop playing for awhile you have to pretty much relearn the game.

r6 siege has a soft hero system, but it’s still daunting to come back as new “operators” are constantly being added and you have to keep track over what every single one does.

Atleast with a game like team fortress 2 the core classes have stayed the same for decades.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Quake didn’t need hero’s with abilities. I’m very much over the hero shooter genre. It’s extremely hard to balance hero shooters and if you stop playing for awhile you have to pretty much relearn the game.

r6 siege has a soft hero system, but it’s still daunting to come back as new “operators” are constantly being added and you have to keep track over what every single one does.

Atleast with a game like team fortress 2 the core classes have stayed the same for decades.
Wholeheartedly agree. I remember when they revealed that CG teaser for Quake Champions I was SO excited, until seconds later I realized each character in the video was showing some ability off. I was like, "UGH NOOOOOOO!" It honestly felt like a nightmare, lol.

I remember they were really firm about how you could play without abilities and made it sound like that would be available day one, it wasn't. From my understanding it's a reoccurring mode you can check out when it's available. But come on man, it's Quake, it was never meant to be a hero shooter. That's not "unique" and it's not Quake.

I'm so over the whole hero (shooters especially) thing in games, more so ones being forced into a game series where they didn't exist before. Sometimes people just wanna frag and move on, especially when that was the structure of the original games. They don't need/want to hear a ton of wacky voice lines from some "super unique character personality."

Oh yeah, TF2 was just adding to the structure that TF built. Character classes, personalities, it all makes sense. I want a TF3 so bad. :(

Tesseract

Banned
i'd murder all the bees for a tfc sequel, fortress forever was nice but it's not the same thing

with you all the way with hero shooting, get it the hell out of quake

MiguelItUp

i'd murder all the bees for a tfc sequel, fortress forever was nice but it's not the same thing
I'm right there with you! If they made a TF3 and added bits of TF/TFC that were stripped in TF2, I'd be more than okay with that too, haha. In a perfect world we'd get TFC2, FF2, and TF3. Man, I would be so happy, lmao.

There were just too many bad decisions made with this game and that starts with having Saber develop it.

Even when it was populated, the amount of down time between matches due no continuous play and a comically slow matchmaking system would be enough to run off all but super dedicated players, which is all it has left.

Dr_Salt

Game was super fun and its my most played game on steam. Once you feel that quake movement and get used to the speed and reflexes there is no going back to other shooters.
Too bad the game was left to die and while Sabre did a great job with the art direction the technical development was shit. They just didn't give a fuck about fixing the game ever.

VN1X

Banned
Game was super fun and its my most played game on steam. Once you feel that quake movement and get used to the speed and reflexes there is no going back to other shooters.
Too bad the game was left to die and while Sabre did a great job with the art direction the technical development was shit. They just didn't give a fuck about fixing the game ever.
Truly a shame as they could've done so much more with it as well. There's not even workshop support. :/

I really like the gameplay when it works, so like once in every 20 match, its such a rubberbanding stuttering mess that it is unplayable for me, i just want it to work. The netcode is horrible

Last edited:

clintar

Uh, I guess that got some more players to come play. 1743 peak players today from what steamcharts says. Been hovering around 900 peak per day before.

VN1X

Banned
Still got it and I'm like OLD, dude. Reached Battlepass level 91 and while the contents are nothing to write home about (basically three new weapons and some Halloween/Fall loot) it sure is nice to have 30+ days remaining whereas with the new Apex Legends BP I feel like I have to grind every single day and still probably won't even reach the final tier. :/

Vbc9ZEv.jpg

(breaking in my new mouse and reached almost 60% accuracy in this match lol)

Last edited:
Top Bottom