• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

wazoo

At this point I'm done being angry at MS' perceptible contempt for PC gaming and their incompetence at delivering good products. That's because both of these approaches will combine to kill games as UWAs and all of our worries about them destroying PC gaming will be over. At their current light-speed pace of stupidity, it shouldn't take too long either.

Ye, it seems UWP devs are on our side, working hard to preserve win32.

GHG

Is the fate of the performance of the game, not in their own hands?

Catch me up here, cause I feel like I'm missing information.

Well let's see if they continue to throw UWP under the bus when they get round to responding to this mess. They have already blamed the lack of a menu exit option on that.

This is really out of character for them. Their PC games are usually stellar.

shiyrley

Banned
903c9cd6e2.png

Z8t1Y0h.gif

Javin98

Banned
Wait, so the PC version is using the same reconstruction technique as the XB1 and there is no way to turn it off? What in the actual fuck? So what is the internal resolution when the game is set to output at 1440p? So are there any improvements to the shadows or is the max settings identical to XB1? If so, yikes.

Kezen

Banned
Is it possible the AA is the culprit ? As far as I understand it MSAA is used to reconstruct a final 1080p output.

Would disabling AA cancel the reconstruction technique ? Or it would leave the game as 720p native period ?

Glaucoma simulator 2016, so soft I can barely read the text on the monitor 3 fucking feet away from the player.

Looks like there's motion blur or DOF happening here on the stuff that isn't Jack. However looking at Jack you're clearly not getting native 1080p on him either.

Alexious

Is it possible the AA is the culprit ? As far as I understand it MSAA is used to reconstruct a final 1080p output.

Would disabling AA cancel the reconstruction technique ? Or it would leave the game as 720p native period ?

I'll give it a try now (I took those images, by the way), but I doubt it.

kodecraft

You can thank Microsoft and UWA for that.

Y'all stay hating on UWP but are here in this thread waiting on this game that is UWP.

I said this in that other thread that no matter the complaints, y'all still want the games.

At the end of the day, all that matters are the games. UWP ain't going nowhere pimp.

Two other recent games with "heavy" temporal filtering @ 1920X1080

Paragon
orionclient-win64-shiu8udx.png

Doom
doomx64_2016_04_01_117wulu.png

QB
Quantum-Break-PC_3.png

IMO, these screens being posted are not being rendered at native resolution. And if they are... then I do not find it very pleasing looking... whatever they are doing to the image.

69.99 euros ?

Shiiiiiit. Good thing I can snatch one copy at GMG or Amazon. Right guys ? :")

Yup, it's a great thing Microsoft is bringing competition with half arssed ports, shitty policies, new app formats not even up to standards, outdated store and expensive prices without any other stores to buy it at a cheaper price.

And on top of that, the game performs bad :/

I feel like it may not really look much better on my PC vs upscaled on my 4k TV on my xbone.

I'm still interested to see what happens at 4K resolutions. I'm holding out hope that the internal resolution before reconstruction is based on a factor of your resolution and not hard coded at 720p.

GHG

So, it's pricey, it doesn't run well, and it's has graphics parity with console version.

That's pretty much "Three Main Keys to Get Bad Sales on PC".

Ye, it seems UWP devs are on our side, working hard to preserve win32.

Yeah. I was firmly on the "Let's wait and see how things play out as more waves hit," but I'm feeling a little shook now.

Gears UE and ROTTR were the first wave and had their fair share of problems. Quantum Break and ORI DE are supposed to be the second wave and I don't know. Things just are shaking out. We can't even have store profiles up for these games before they launch.

I know they've got big plans for the Store for the Anniversary update and what not, but can't we see some incremental changes, some assurances that there is progress being made?

Now I'm beginning to see the arguments of others, that AAA UWPs are just a carrot on a stick to get folk into the store, but the carrot is not the highest quality and looks kind of prematurely harvested.

I wanted to give MS the benefit of the doubt, I was excited about playing these games on PC, using my hardware to its fullest potential. But now I think I might dip out and just continue on Xbox One until whatever.

kodecraft

Well let's see if they continue to throw UWP under the bus when they get round to responding to this mess. They have already blamed the lack of a menu exit option on that.

This is really out of character for them. Their PC games are usually stellar.

Yea, I don't get it. KI is a damn fine port. So a UWP design guide reasoning doesn't make much sense to me.

Carlius

Banned
once i get home i will buy. day 1 buy for all windows 10 games. if i have to be a aprt of the problem, i will be. i need my fix.

Daingurse

Goddammit. Those screenshots look so grainy. Really just want to just play the fucking game, but this is not looking good. Definitely gonna hold my purchase for now till I get some benchmarks, and find out WTF is up with the IQ. I just want stable performance on on my GTX970+980x at a good fidelity. I'd even play at 30fps if necessary . . . sigh.

Yeah. I was firmly on the "Let's wait and see how things play out as more waves hit," but I'm feeling a little shook now.

Gears UE and ROTTR were the first wave and had their fair share of problems. Quantum Break and ORI DE are supposed to be the second wave and I don't know. Things just are shaking out. We can't even have store profiles up for these games before they launch.

I know they've got big plans for the Store for the Anniversary update and what not, but can't we see some incremental changes, some assurances that there is progress being made?

Now I'm beginning to see the arguments of others, that AAA UWPs are just a carrot on a stick to get folk into the store, but the carrot is not the highest quality and looks kind of prematurely harvested.

I wanted to give MS the benefit of the doubt, I was excited about playing these games on PC, using my hardware to its fullest potential. But now I think I might dip out and just continue on Xbox One until whatever.

Not that the choices in how this game is rendered are down to UWP, but it's certainly an example of a game where a Durante style mod could potentially have saved us from those choices were it not UWP.

ROTTR's *real* issues are just not supporting SLI/Crossfire, not being able to disable vsync and not having VXAO. All things the Steam version has no problems with. It still looks great and runs well in a variety of scenarios... and the DX12 version looks and runs exactly the same as the Steam DX12 version (and in many cases DX12 runs better for people).

Now granted, on my 3x SLI system I can play the steam version in DX11 with SLI and VXAO (and it looks so fucking good) but there aren't things inherently broken with it that you're hoping someone external can fix on Windows Store.

Not so much here. We have to hope Remedy can disable this technique and let us run natively, or figure something else out. We're entirely in their hands.

Kezen

Banned
Man, that looks... not great. The character models look oddly previous gen, and the protag's hair just looks awful.

The core rendering techniques are easy on the eyes but on PC IQ should be native. This alone could offer a huge boost to visuals.

Sadly in its current state this is not acceptable. Native resolution is one of the mandatory features of any decent PC version, that and 60fps of course.

dr_rus

Russian store strick is no good

Buying on US Store now-

RIP in pepperoni

Russian store price for QB is hardly any cheaper than $60 though - it's about $55 with the current RUB->USD conversion rate so you wouldn't save much anyway. (Strangely enough I actually prefer it being this way instead of them implementing some stupid region lock thing.)

The IQ on PC seems pretty bad.
Quantum-Break-PC_2.png

Quantum-Break-PC_1.png

Does not look like native 1080p to me, same reconstruction technique used on Xbox One ?

Well, it's a UWP app meaning that it's probably the exact same code for XBO and PC. Hence why there is no "Quit" menu option, btw. Great feature of the new MS platform which will win them billions of dollars, eh? Why are you running away, guys? Guys?

Animator

Is there a way I can refund this game without installing it? I am downloading right now because I clicked buy like an idiot when I woke up.

Mifec

Y'all stay hating on UWP but are here in this thread waiting on this game that is UWP.

I said this in that other thread that no matter the complaints, y'all still want the games.

At the end of the day, all that matters are the games. UWP ain't going nowhere pimp.
This has to be a troll.

Yeah I was waiting to see if the game runs good since Remedy was a PC dev, the game apparently does not run fine, so I won't buy it.

sertopico

Maxed out at 1440p.. as others have said IQ is not greatest but could be worse.

Did you try to disable the AA, if it's possible (I remember there was an option in the settings)? Anyway it looks way too blurry, maybe in motion it looks better.

Trup1aya

Russian store price for QB is hardly any cheaper than $60 though - it's about $55 with the current RUB->USD conversion rate so you wouldn't save much anyway. (Strangely enough I actually prefer it being this way instead of them implementing some stupid region lock thing.)

Well, it's a UWP app meaning that it's probably the exact same code for XBO and PC. Hence why there is no "Quit" menu option, btw. Great feature of the new MS platform which will win them billions of dollars, eh? Why are you running away, guys? Guys?

Nah, UWP doesn't mean they HAVE to use the EXACT same code for ports.

But they would have had to do some serious work to change rendering techniques from a game that was designed from the ground up as an xb1 exclusive.

This looks like the result of strict deadlines.

Top Bottom