• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Error devs say they need to change the game on Xbox because of the slower SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I don't know if we are allowed to make threads about this but this seems strange, wouldn't the 12Tf compensate for the slower ssd ?
With SSD becoming way cheaper and faster i do hope Xbox does a refresh with gen 4 at least so devs don't change things like this

We have started looking into optimizing the game for Xbox, but it is definitely going to take a bit of time unfortunately; QE has been made to be played with the PS5’s extremely fast SSD, the Xbox SSD is quite a bit slower and so we are going to have to change things quite a bit to make up for that difference in speed.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How would more GPU power compensate for slower storage? That's not how anything works.

(Yes, GPU can be used for data decompression, but not in a way that would offset PS5's much faster I/O block.)

Bernoulli

M2 slut
How would more GPU power compensate for slower storage? That's not how anything works.

(Yes, GPU can be used for data decompression, but not in a way that would offset PS5's much faster I/O block.)
PC games seem to have no issue with slower storage , you see no difference in games comparing GEN 3 to 4 SSD, and sometimes even sata SSDs

RoadHazard

Gold Member
PC games seem to have no issue with slower storage , you see no difference in games comparing GEN 3 to 4 SSD, and sometimes even sata SSDs

Because very few games exist that really push real-time storage speeds to their limits. If this game is really made in a way that requires 5.5GB/s of data (more after decompression) to be streamed in, even in shorter bursts, the less than half as fast Xbox SSD would be an issue.

Neilg

all it means is they have used the ps5's disk speed to do less work managing loading data. they didnt use the speed to do something that wasnt possible, they used it to say 'fuck it, just grab what you need when you need it'
now without that headroom, they have to write some more code to pre-load and manage data like every other developer does. it's pretty clear that it's not an insurmountable task, its just work they didn't bother to do / havent done yet

Ozriel

M$FT
Seen gameplay videos. I find this extremely hard to believe.

Dev seems to be using these soundbites as a marketing tool.

Some years back they were claiming they’d released at 4K 60fps with real time Raytracing

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
It is not allowed to think that Tflops compensate for SSD speed.
breaking bad oops GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom