• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about MMO gaming on PC (specs)

Freeman76

Me and my wife want to play WoW and GW2 together, but our PCs are both crapped out. I play on a 65" Oled so need them to run at 1440/4k with a decent framerate (50+ ideally). I'm not too fussed about other games as I have a ps5 and series x anyway, its mainly these 2 MMOs we are buying for. My wife isnt to fussed about graphics and plays on a 45" tv.

The question I have is I see a lot of people saying CPU matters more than GPU in these MMOs. I dont have a massive amount of money and I want to surprise my wife with this purchase. I have found 3 potential PCs I can afford, and wondered if these specs would be enough?

1)

INtel core 15-11400 hexcore proc
Intwl b660 mb
16gb ddr4 ram
512 ssd
Geforce rtx 3060ti

2)

Amd ryzen 5 5600 six core proc
Amd a520 mb
16 gb 3.2k ram
RAdeon rx 6750 xt gfx

3)

Amd ryzen 5 5600
B550 mb
16gb ram
Geforce rtx 3060 gfx

Thanks in advance, and sorry I made a similar post a while back which had loads of replies but my circumstances have changed since then as my wife now wants to play as well 🤣 We have had a rough few weeks, and these are all next day delivery, I want to surprise her with this for the weekend as our kids are away and we can spend all weekend gaming with the fire on lol

Last edited:

adamosmaki

Same price easily 2nd one. Its the fastest with the first one a bit behind.
All though should do the job just fine and really depends on the price if you are strap for cash.

Last edited:

BlackTron

AMD parts will always be cheaper but if you can. Try to get an AMD CPU and Nvidia graphics card. But Radeon is still fine if the savings are that substantial...

adamosmaki

Thank you

I saw this on gamesradar they rated highly for 4k, is this better or worse than the 2nd one on my list?

Its £200 more to buy this one:
Nahh stick with the 2nd one. 6750 xt is a decent 10-15% faster than 3060ti. The Cpu on the 4th one is better but doesnt really worth the extra 200 pounds and the 8gb vram on the 3060ti it can be a bit of an issue on a few games

Last edited:

Zathalus

Yes, in the UK. Thanks I will take a look, are these comparable to option 2 in the OP?
4060 is a bit weaker, but still really good for WoW. It comes with DLSS support which WoW might get in future. It is also better for RT which WoW does have.

The 4060ti is a bit faster then the 6700XT with all the advantages of DLSS and RT as well.

Freeman76

Considering the games you play even the second one is overkill let alone the 4th one
haha fair point, I will play other stuff but i still have my consoles as well, I just want to make sure I can get good framerates on high settings at 1440/4k if poss. I think GW2 is a bit more power hungry than WoW.

Seems these are my best options:

Which one would be the better choice in your humble opinions? The amazon one looks really cool design wise, but that dont help with performance lol

Thanks again to you all for taking time out to help me with this.

Last edited:

adamosmaki

haha fair point, I will play other stuff but i still have my consoles as well, I just want to make sure I can get good framerates on high settings at 1440/4k if poss. I think GW2 is a bit more power hungry than WoW.

Seems these are my best options:

Which one would be the better choice in your humble opinions? The amazon one looks really cool design wise, but that dont help with performance lol

Thanks again to you all for taking time out to help me with this.
First one. Spending an extra 100 to go with a 4060ti which has s similar performance but less vram which might cause issues in some games at 1440p ain't worth it

Last edited:

Freeman76

First one. Spending an extra 100 to go with a 4060ti which has s similar performance but less vram which might cause issues in some games at 1440p ain't worth it
OK thank you, still shopping to see if any other deals are out there, but leaning towards that one at this point. It's said to be great for 1440 gaming so hopefully as wow and gw2 are older games it can handle 2160 on them.

Also found this one https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/ultra-55-4t-next-day-pc

Man this is a minefield, its always like.....ah for another 200 I can add this, and it never stops lol

Last edited:

adamosmaki

OK thank you, still shopping to see if any other deals are out there, but leaning towards that one at this point. It's said to be great for 1440 gaming so hopefully as wow and gw2 are older games it can handle 2160 on them.

Also found this one https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/ultra-55-4t-next-day-pc

Man this is a minefield, its always like.....ah for another 200 I can add this, and it never stops lol
This one despite the 4060ti at least its a decent price. The 5500 Cpu though is a bit weak nowdays. Despite the name is quite a bit slower than 5600 and in MMO games that 5600 certainly will be put to use better.
Still the 2nd one is your best bet. The only think i dont like on that is the basic motherboard ( not that will matter for performance )

Freeman76

This one despite the 4060ti at least its a decent price. The 5500 Cpu though is a bit weak nowdays. Despite the name is quite a bit slower than 5600 and in MMO games that 5600 certainly will be put to use better.
Still the 2nd one is your best bet. The only think i dont like on that is the basic motherboard ( not that will matter for performance )
This one seems to have a lot better specs

Its £500 more, does that seem reasonable?

Freeman76

WOW and GW2 should be fine, It's games like BDO that push the MMO limits in terms of hardware requirements.
I just managed to get my old dog of a pc running, its a 970 with an i3 cpu. Set wow to 4k ultra and it actually plays lol. 20fps but still....that pc is like 12 years old. Gna try GW2 now and see what thats like. Gives me some peace of mind that anything I buy will run better than that!

I just managed to get my old dog of a pc running, its a 970 with an i3 cpu. Set wow to 4k ultra and it actually plays lol. 20fps but still....that pc is like 12 years old. Gna try GW2 now and see what thats like. Gives me some peace of mind that anything I buy will run better than that!
You'll hit an upper limit with GW2 and WoW especially, that even if you hit all the metrics for "high end" settings, it's still gonna run kinda janky. I'll get massively difference in fps all dependent upon what's happening on screen, even with a 3080ti and 9700k I get performance dips all the time. WoW is old as hell and doesn't scale like most PC games do.

It'll run fine between those PC's absolutely but just temper your expectations with MMO's performance as they don't scale with hardware the same as other games do. You can only throw so much at it before it won't make a difference. Those small 1-5% difference's is typically what people are paying through the roof for and don't realize they don't need it.

PeteBull

U will be fine with either of 3 options u mentioned in ur first post, keep in mind u can always reduce some settings too, most of them, especially resolution, lessens burden on the gpu, 1080p60 to 4k 60 is 4x more pixels, so 4x more gpu power needed to run.

What i want u to make sure u got covered is cpu with strong 6 cores, like r5 5600 at least, mmo's especially when u do some major events(so not questing in starting area when there is barely anything going on) relies on ur cpu, and unfortunately WoW and GW2 have really old engines that rely on strong single core.
TLDR- If ur gpu is bottleneck while playing mmo u can usually reduce resolution or reduce settings and fps will jump up no probs- game will feel imediately much smoother- but on the other hand if ur cpu is bottleneck= its usually done deal, most settings dont help with cpu load(some do, best check guides for optimisation for those games) so u wanna have strong(-ish) cpu from the get go, 6strong cores will do better in mmo than 16 slow cores.

EZ way to check whats ur bottleneck, if its gpu or cpu- simply play game in 4k, then reduce it to 1080p, its 4x fewer pixel amount on ur screen so gpu load will be substantially lessened, if game is laggy even after that u know its the cpu at fault here.

Edit: Here watch this vid, its in 1080p on 11400f(same as ur 1st option just no gpu on that chip) with weaker from urs 2060 u can see in the middle of populated big town fps goes down to even 80-90, while outside when cpu barely does any work its over 170 even.

Last edited:

BlackTron

On userbenchmark.com, the average FPS for a 970 running Wow at 1440p and High settings was 70FPS.

In other words, you may not actually need a new PC.

Freeman76

Thanks again for the replies. The CPU thing was the main reason I made the thread, I literally know next to nothing about it and all the different ones were baffling me.

Mine at high settings 1440p runs wow around 40fps, but guild wars is nowhere near that lol. I do want to treat me and my wife to new setups, its a nice thing to be able to play MMOs together and she is a good egg I want to treat her, she just doesnt give a fuck whats in the box she just wants multicoloured lights all over it so I can save some cash on hers and put it towards mine 🤣🤣

RagnarokIV

They're all fine for MMOs to be honest.

I'd probably go RTX3060ti over the others purely for DLSS (it will help a lot for your TV use). But Those MMOs don't use DLSS as far as I'm aware?
Try and get an i5-12400 instead of the 11400 if you think you'll ever start playing more games on PC because you'll have the option to upgrade a little in future

What's your budget for each machine?

Freeman76

They're all fine for MMOs to be honest.

I'd probably go RTX3060ti over the others purely for DLSS (it will help a lot for your TV use). But Those MMOs don't use DLSS as far as I'm aware?
Try and get an i5-12400 instead of the 11400 if you think you'll ever start playing more games on PC because you'll have the option to upgrade a little in future

What's your budget for each machine?
My wifes is sorted its just mine now and im more fussy. Max i can go to is 1300 really but running out of time to get mine for the weekend

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
On userbenchmark.com, the average FPS for a 970 running Wow at 1440p and High settings was 70FPS.
7Rgi6rT.png

Yeah. use literally any other site.

BlackTron

7Rgi6rT.png

Yeah. use literally any other site.

Is your point that they are Intel shills? Regardless, I just use it as an aggregator of user reports spitting out an average and it's no more trustworthy than any other site for the same purpose. It's going to be a bunch of random data just to get a rough idea no matter what. Not that I have anything against other sites (or this one), I usually just google the parts and use the first result, or multiple sites if I'm really trying to discern something.

OP said his target was 1440p and reported that his rig ran the game like crap at 4k. So I thought he might like a statistic indicating he should try changing the settings before dropping a grand. Was neither a statement of fact by me nor an opinion made by userbenchmark.

I'm not even sure I disagree with this commentary because I just took your advice and checked 4 other sites and all seem to indicate the these two CPUs are a toss-up with the i5 beating out the Ryzen in multi-core use rather substantially, echoing the statements in your screenshot. Can you explain what is wrong with it?

Freeman76

Is your point that they are Intel shills? Regardless, I just use it as an aggregator of user reports spitting out an average and it's no more trustworthy than any other site for the same purpose. It's going to be a bunch of random data just to get a rough idea no matter what. Not that I have anything against other sites (or this one), I usually just google the parts and use the first result, or multiple sites if I'm really trying to discern something.

OP said his target was 1440p and reported that his rig ran the game like crap at 4k. So I thought he might like a statistic indicating he should try changing the settings before dropping a grand. Was neither a statement of fact by me nor an opinion made by userbenchmark.

I'm not even sure I disagree with this commentary because I just took your advice and checked 4 other sites and all seem to indicate the these two CPUs are a toss-up with the i5 beating out the Ryzen in multi-core use rather substantially, echoing the statements in your screenshot. Can you explain what is wrong with it?
To be fair to you, I did this and actually its running wow at 4k/60fps in quite a few zones at high settings, more populated zones its 30-40fps. Surprised by this lol

BlackTron

To be fair to you, I did this and actually its running wow at 4k/60fps in quite a few zones at high settings, more populated zones its 30-40fps. Surprised by this lol

Not trying to be lame and steer you away from nice new hardware, but yeah. If it really was just for WoW you could probably tweak settings and invest a wad of cash instead. Then, when you get to a game you actually can't run decent with your hardware, you will get massively better specs than what you will dump today just to play WoW 10% better.

MMO is not a genre where you need steady perfect performance for twitch gameplay either.

it's blacklisted site. Forget about that site

Thanks this lead me to actually find out. Ok yeah they had some real meltdowns over legitimate AMD wins. I wasn't in the loop on this but I don't think the above screenshot was a good example...

Freeman76

Not trying to be lame and steer you away from nice new hardware, but yeah. If it really was just for WoW you could probably tweak settings and invest a wad of cash instead. Then, when you get to a game you actually can't run decent with your hardware, you will get massively better specs than what you will dump today just to play WoW 10% better.

MMO is not a genre where you need steady perfect performance for twitch gameplay either.

Thanks this lead me to actually find out. Ok yeah they had some real meltdowns over legitimate AMD wins. I wasn't in the loop on this but I don't think the above screenshot was a good example...
Yeah I appreciate it. I have a bit of disposable cash and want to treat us both, this thread is more to make sure the upgrade is worth it.

This should be significantly better and enable me to play other stuff if I want to. Would love to play Arkham Knight in 4k 60, I only played it on Xbox before. Also Starfield.

Trouble is 1080p looks like shit on a 65" Oled thats why i need to make sure whatever I buy can handle 1440p/4k

Top Bottom