• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Questions about Wolverines regenerative ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
shuri said:
puniowned0sh.jpg
Gotta love that comic.

evil ways

Nos_G said:
I hope someone can answer this question... but why did wolvie change colors on his costume?

I really liked the brown/yellow one compared to the current one.

wolverine18.jpg

vs

wolverine.gif

The yellow and blue was his original costume. He used it for a while since his debut versus The Hulk many years ago, then he switched to the John Byrne brown and orange one, which is in my opinion the best outfit. If I remember correctly, they brought back the yellow costume around the time the Xmen were divided into Blue and Gold teams and Jim Lee was drawing them.

evil ways said:
If I remember correctly, they brought back the yellow costume around the time the Xmen were divided into Blue and Gold teams and Jim Lee was drawing them.

Yup. Jim Lee (X-Men) and Whilce Portacio (Uncanny X-Men) revamped the majority of the costumes, including Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, and Jean Grey, and returned Wolverine back to his original blue and yellow outfit.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Allright, I'll bite. This is geared toward the people still in the comic know.

1)The Fatal Attractions saga was, to me, the greatest comic story I ever read. Logan was completley destroyed by Magneto in a way most people didn't even know was possible, and that panel were the adamantium is being ripped out of his pours is engraved in my head. Great story and great art in that final issue.

So anyways, did Wolverine ever get back at Magneto for ripping out his metal? I recall an X-men off the top of my head that had Wolverine doing danger room simulations of attempting to kill Magneto, and it was very clear that it was still on his to do list.

2)Witch X-men line these days is the real one? When I read their was two lines, X-men and Uncanny X-men. Those two don't appear to be around anymore, and all I see is stuff like Extreme X-Men, Ultimate X-men...ect.. ect..

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
BlueTsunami said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_War_(comics)

Sounds cool but Iron Man and Wolverine are on opposing sides

;_;

I love wikipedia. I followed your link, ended up going to the page about the Runaways / Young Avengers crossover, and finally pushed myself to take Runaways Volume 1 off my wishlist and into my shopping cart. :D

This whole Civil War conflict does sound cool. But I'll just have to wait around for the trade, I prefer having my comics in that format now.

Bowser

Wolf said:
2)Witch X-men line these days is the real one? When I read their was two lines, X-men and Uncanny X-men. Those two don't appear to be around anymore, and all I see is stuff like Extreme X-Men, Ultimate X-men...ect.. ect..

I'm guessing Astonishing X-Men would be canon right now, but I may be wrong (it could be Whedon's personal universe in which to play around) as I haven't been into comics for the past 8 months or so.

JayDubya

Banned
Wolf said:
Allright, I'll bite. This is geared toward the people still in the comic know.

1)The Fatal Attractions saga was, to me, the greatest comic story I ever read. Logan was completley destroyed by Magneto in a way most people didn't even know was possible, and that panel were the adamantium is being ripped out of his pours is engraved in my head. Great story and great art in that final issue.

So anyways, did Wolverine ever get back at Magneto for ripping out his metal? I recall an X-men off the top of my head that had Wolverine doing danger room simulations of attempting to kill Magneto, and it was very clear that it was still on his to do list.

Well, yeah Cyclops and Wolverine inflitrated Genosha while Jean grabbed up a handful of new (and very temporary) recruits (like Sunfire's sister) and in the end they beat Magneto's ass in a bad way. Wolverine didn't kill him though, for whatever reason - I'd have to go thumbing through my boxes of comics for the number / title of the comics and the details.

Wolverine did kill A Magneto, though, just not THE Magneto. Xorn, under the influence of Sublime / "Kick" and through a means entirely unknown but hinted to be due to Scarlet Witch's going kooky, became some kind of Magnus doppleganger, powers and all. He killed Jean Grey, and then Wolverine killed him.

Astonishing X-Men (Whedon) Uncanny X-Men (Claremont) and X-Men (Milligan) are all concurrent, canon, "real" (i.e. Earth 616) X-Men titles with different team lineups. Whedon's is probably the best if you had to choose only one to read. Claremont's quality wavers but he's responsible for almost every single definitive classic storyline imaginable, so yeah. Milligan is "meh" and I think he's on his way out.

Ultimate X-Men is in the Ultimate universe, and is not "real" in the sense you mean.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
JayDubya said:
Well, yeah Cyclops and Wolverine inflitrated Genosha while Jean grabbed up a handful of new (and very temporary) recruits (like Sunfire's sister) and in the end they beat Magneto's ass in a bad way. Wolverine didn't kill him though, for whatever reason - I'd have to go thumbing through my boxes of comics for the number / title of the comics and the details.

Could you get that info when you got time? I'd go on ebay and buy it right now, been waiting to see Wolverine get payback for years.

Astonishing X-Men (Whedon) Uncanny X-Men (Claremont) and X-Men (Milligan) are all concurrent, canon, "real" (i.e. Earth 616) X-Men titles with different team lineups. Whedon's is probably the best if you had to choose only one to read. Claremont's quality wavers but he's responsible for almost every single definitive classic storyline imaginable, so yeah. Milligan is "meh" and I think he's on his way out.

Ultimate X-Men is in the Ultimate universe, and is not "real" in the sense you mean.

3 titles now huh? I guess trying to stay in the flow is still as hard as it was when I collected.

Macam

Banned
Wolf said:
3 titles now huh? I guess trying to stay in the flow is still as hard as it was when I collected.

Glad someone asked that Q because the last time I was in a comic shop there were like 10 different X-Men series and I had no idea what was what. Not sure what the motivation was for a third line comics, as just going between the Uncanny X-Men and X-Men was bothersome enough.

Claremont has a book just because Joe Q said Claremont has done so much for Marvel that he'll always have a sandbox to play in. His book is third thier. Astonishing is flagship with Uncanny second in command.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Parallax Scroll said:
Do they still do X-Factor and X-Force and all that stuff?

X-Force briefly came back for a mini-series that "killed" Cable... that had to be one of the shortest death's ever.... X-Factor just restarted but its a new team, very different, and they very rarely interact with the rest of the X-Teams. VERY rarely.

Nos_G said:
I hope someone can answer this question... but why did wolvie change colors on his costume?

I really liked the brown/yellow one compared to the current one.

wolverine18.jpg

vs

wolverine.gif
He changed his costume in 1985 around the time of the Secret Wars. When he went to Japan to learn to control his feral side (it's when he learned bushido, the way of the samurai). The real reason is that the head of marvel at the time (I forget his name, TToB might know) decided that everyone at Marvel needed a costume change. This is why we got a grey hulk, a black spider-man, a grey ironman (I think), mohawk Storm and so on. The short, hairy canuckle head. Next to the brown/yellow costume, my second favorite suit for Logan is his brown leather (bomber) jacket, plaid shirt, slacks/jeans, hat, and cigar.

Wolf said:

From X-Men #113:

Lemme save you the trouble of eBay, this storyline (titled "Eve of Destruction") was fairly craptacular, apart from the stellar art by Yu. Pretty much just a "let's hurry up and finish this so Morrison can do his thing."

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Sapienshomo said:
What does Wolverine weigh (in pounds?)

195lbs without all that adamantium, 300lbs with.

Basically, I don't see how he could swim with his full adamantium skeleton.

Sapiens

Another question - what was the fictional surgical procedure they used to bond the adamantium to his skelton? Did they have to cut him open to do that? Or just peel his skin and muscle off entirely??

JayDubya

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:
Claremont has a book just because Joe Q said Claremont has done so much for Marvel that he'll always have a sandbox to play in. His book is third thier. Astonishing is flagship with Uncanny second in command.

Claremont's series is not third tier. "X-Men" is asspie at the moment.

It's not that Claremont is a comic veteran and thus he gets a spot, it's that Whedon is a famous writer / director movie / TV guy and Astonishing is something different / could end whenever. Astonishing is Whedon's series, when Whedon wants to stop doing it, that'll be the end of that series.\

As for the other people that asked, many other series have come and gone over the years.

Excalibur, X-Factor, and X-Force stopped years ago, though there have been some limited series / attempts to restart them.

The main X-Men comics regarding the actual X-Men living in the mansion and working as main teams are Astonishing X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and X-Men.

The following X-Men related comics are in Earth 616: New Excalibur, Cable / Deadpool, X-Factor, and "New X-Men." Oh, and Wolverine.

Exiles is reality jumping with Blink and Morph. Think "Sliders" X-Men style with Age of Apocalypse survivors. I don't know if they'll ever have a direct effect on main 616 continuity.

Unlimited X-Men has nothing whatsoever to do with Earth 616.

JayDubya said:
Claremont's series is not third tier. "X-Men" is asspie at the moment.

It's not that Claremont is a comic veteran and thus he gets a spot, it's that Whedon is a famous writer / director movie / TV guy and Astonishing is something different / could end whenever. Astonishing is Whedon's series, when Whedon wants to stop doing it, that'll be the end of that series.

In terms of who gets to choose characters its Wheddon, Milligan and then Claremont. I could go find the article where Joe Q said that Claremont will always have a job on some book at Marvel but really too lazy to.

Hero

Iceman fighting any type of humanoid could just make the enviroment so cold that you freeze to death.

Does he actually ever do something like that?

zon

Hero said:
Iceman fighting any type of humanoid could just make the enviroment so cold that you freeze to death.

Nope, because he's a sissy.

I say Wolverine vs. Iceman vs. this man..

John-Cena-Word-Life.jpg

John Cena again overcomes odds yet again with the powers of hustle, loyalty, and respect!!!

El Papa

Lakedaimon said:
I always thought a bullet through the eye-socket would pretty much kill him, especially if it hit the brain stem. Dont forget that the bullet would likely ricochet around inside or break into fragments because of the inpenetrable skull. Doubly so if you used a hvy mg round or light autocannon (something that could still fit into the eye socket) like a 20mm incendiary or HE round.
It wouldn't get through the eye socket, behind the eye there's bone (sphenoid and others). There is a small opening for the optic nerve, but it's too small for a bullet to get through.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Sapienshomo said:
Another question - what was the fictional surgical procedure they used to bond the adamantium to his skelton? Did they have to cut him open to do that? Or just peel his skin and muscle off entirely??

No, at a certain temperature adamantium is a liquid, they basically injected it all over the place to lace his skeleton with it.

rsilva13

Grizzlyjin said:
195lbs without all that adamantium, 300lbs with.

Basically, I don't see how he could swim with his full adamantium skeleton.
I weigh about 300lbs and i can swim well enough, and being that he would be in peak physical fitness, i don't see why he couldn't swim with the adamantium skeleton.

SolKane

Has anyone read the issues of Punisher by Garth Ennis in which Punisher takes on Wolverine? It wasn't very good but it did show what would happen if Wolverine were flattened by a steamroller and shot point blank in the face with a shotgun. Doesn't phase him.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Created this yesterday. Had it as my Wallpaper for a while (with a black background) but now have a Rachael Leigh Cook wallpaper :D

Seth C

Jacobi said:
Why is Spider-Man on Iron-Mans side ? Is it known in this universe that he's Peter Parker ?

I think Spider-Man may be on both sides, judging by the covers/promo artwork. Seems like the Iron Man armor Spidey is on one side, regular Spidey on the other? Perhaps he switches sides somewhere along the way? I don't know.

Grizzlyjin

rsilva13 said:
I weigh about 300lbs and i can swim well enough, and being that he would be in peak physical fitness, i don't see why he couldn't swim with the adamantium skeleton.

Well I think that is a little different. If Wolverine had an average man's strength, but the same skeleton...I don't see how he could do it. Tie 105lbs to my body and I really doubt I'd be able to swim. This isn't fat or muscle, its like having anchor inside your body.

phinious

Ummm, swimming capabilities are directly proportional to Density not weight.

So if you weigh 300 lbs because you are obese, it is easy to swim ecause you can probably just float. If you weigh 300 lbs because you are muscular and have a metal skeleton.... you will probably sink like a rock.

Remember... when it comes to floating, its all about bouyancy.

Hero said:

He did in X-Men Forever miniseries. He basically froze the entire ship (Prosh) completely.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Verboten said:
Logan's at peak human strength, it'd be hard but he can swim. Iceman would only be able to do that if there's moisture in the air.

why would it be any harder than jumping 10 feet in the air or running super fast?

SolKane

Wouldn't it just be easier for him to like, freeze all the water molecules in an enemy's body? Don't know too much about Iceman, but that would make him pretty badass.

Iceman doesn't use his full potential because he fears it, he never pushes himself. He had to wear a belt that controlled his powers way back because Loki supercharged them. Emma Frost once posessed his body and brought his powers to full potential. He could revert to human form even though his chest had been destroyed in ice form.

They explained alot about his powers in X-Men Forever but according to Marvel it is written out of continuity. Emma Frost Its a shame too because it kind of reformed Juggernaut somewhat. He realized his relationship with Black Tom was a mistake finally.

I don't read Uncanny X-Men but this just happened recently I'm assuming. Thought it was neat.

After the events of M-Day, Bobby seemed to be one of the many mutants who had lost their powers. However, during a confrontation with the Sapien League, Emma Frost detected a mutant signature in the area Bobby was. It was revealed he had been suppressing his powers out of fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom