• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick DSL/Xbox Live Question

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I finally joined the new millenium and got rid of my horrible dialup connection, but I was only able to replace it with a fairly slow DSL connection. I have 256K download, and whatever the upload is... like 96K, I think.

My dialup was the reason for me not getting on XBL, but now I'm hoping that won't be a problem. Will my new slow-ish DSL connection be enough to allow me on LIVE? Is it more about the persistent nature of the connection instead of the actual speed itself?

I know I probably won't be able to experience huge 16P titles, but I just wanna know if the service will allow me on at all, with that upload/download.

jedimike

128K upload is the minimum for XBL. Anything less than that and you'll have problems with drops and connects.

jedimike

Welcome to Microsoft XBox Support
The XBox Chat session has been accepted. This chat session is being recorded for quality monitoring; your IP address may be traced.

{Ges}Welcome to the Xbox North America Presales Support! My name is Ges.
{Ges}Hello Michael
{Michael}Is there a minimum upload speed for XBL
{Ges}I read your concern and it is about the minimum speed for XBL. Is that right?
{Michael}yes
{Ges}You need a minimum of 128 kbps upstream speed
{Michael}OK, thank you.
{Ges}is that all?
{Michael}yes

Ramirez

Hate to be a moron,but Im new to this,lol...this is the DSL service I recently signed up with Alltel,haven't gotten it installed yet,but is this good for Live?

Tier 1 DSL 1536/128 For the average DSL customer. Preferred by residential users.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Ramirez said:
Hate to be a moron,but Im new to this,lol...this is the DSL service I recently signed up with Alltel,haven't gotten it installed yet,but is this good for Live?

Tier 1 DSL 1536/128 For the average DSL customer. Preferred by residential users.
Yes, it's saying you have 1.5 Mb download and 128 k upload.

ChrisReid

Even if 64 k is/was the minimum, that's just not much at all. 128 is kinda considered minimum for a broadband upload, and 256 is required for a pleasant experience in some games with more than a few people. 256k down is pretty darn low for too.

Barnimal

Banned
i'm pretty sure ur upload is 128k original poster. i dont believe any DSL provider provides anything less than up to 384k down and a locked 128 up.

SyNapSe

Barnimal said:
i'm pretty sure ur upload is 128k original poster. i dont believe any DSL provider provides anything less than up to 384k down and a locked 128 up.

Yeah, I've never seen anything lower than those numbers either.

tenchir

Actually, you could get lower than 128kb. I didn't sign up for dsl because the download/upload was way too low for me, I think it was 256 down and 64k up..... because I was relatively far. I went with cable and got 3MB/256kb even though it cost twice as much.

Top Bottom