• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick RE4 question

Don't read if you played less than 10 hours and you don't want anything spoiled for you.

I just started playing the game again after letting it collect dust on my shelf for ages (yeah I know), and holy crap am I having fun or what... Anyway, I got to the camp in the village where you first meet the chainsaw women (one of the two optional paths you can take, the other being the big troll), there's a treasure marking on the map that I can't figure out how to get... It's on the top platform and there's non-interactive ropes tied across blocking the way, and I can see two barrels in the space below this platform but there are wooden bars all around the space, I tried breaking/blowing them up but it's not working.

How do I get that treasure without spoiling too much? Do I need to return here later after obtaining a specific item or can I get it now?

demi

a) official thread

b) if what i'm thinking of is right, there should be like an area with a boarded up window you can smash, then leap into to access some enclosed barrels...?

c) use your knife or grenades should work

AirBrian

There is a door on the other side on the ground level. I can't remember if the door just opens or you have to cut the boards on the window next to it. Once you get inside, you should be able to figure out the rest...

Deku Tree

In the final section of this area, go through the door into a room. There will be a latter going down in this room. Don't go down the latter. Instead look around the room for a boarded window. Break the boards and then jump through the window. Walk down the path through the window and you will find the treasure.

demi said:
a) official thread

No shit? As you can see I'm still very early in the game and trying to find some obscure info like this in that GIGANTIC thread would be an effort in frustration, not to mention all the spoilers I'll inevitably bump in.

Thanks for the help everyone. I didn't think you could do anything with that window and I didn't bother trying for some reason.

h4xor

Do Yourself a favor.

go on the other path. you don't have to kill the El Gigante just run like hell till he drops a key

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
h4xor said:
Do Yourself a favor.

go on the other path. you don't have to kill the El Gigante just run like hell till he drops a key

He drops a key? I always picked it up on the ground in one of those cabins

I didn't realize this strategy until the 2nd play through. Shoot the locks and run away...of course the downside is missing the treasure. A couple of flash grenades and shotguns shells can bring him down without much effort

h4xor said:
Do Yourself a favor.

I tried that path first but got owned by him a few times so I gave up. But I went back after finishing the other one and saving, just to check if I missed anything important, and I bought a rocket launcher to test it, and realized that he'll die from the single hit, and he gives you 15,000 in gold, so it's definitely worth it when you add all the other stuff you find in that path (the rocket launcher costs 30,000)... I didn't know you could run from him and get the key, I might try that.

So basically I'm going to clear both paths.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
h4xor said:
Do Yourself a favor.

I am pretty sure he doesn't drop a key. He does however drop money.

I would go both ways to get all the money and treasure.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Boo, you should refrain from using the rocket launcher on the first run through. It's basically a "skip any boss battle" powerup :p

El Gigante is easy if you using the sub-machine gun, point it at his face and just let it do its thing. He drops to his knees really fast. I took the El Gigante path first, then after seeing how much money he droped, I turned around and took the other path so I could make even more money. It really helped in the long run having that extra money to upgrade my weapons.

I didn't buy the sub-machine gun... the storage space is really limited it sucks. Currently I have the Red9, Punisher (which I'm planning on selling), Shotgun and Rifle... The Red9 is my primary handgun, and the shotgun and rifle are essential, there's already very little space left so I can't introduce another gun, maybe I'll put inplace of the Punisher. Can't wait until a merchant offers a bigger attache case.

h4xor

Wario64 said:
He drops a key? I always picked it up on the ground in one of those cabins

I didn't realize this strategy until the 2nd play through. Shoot the locks and run away...of course the downside is missing the treasure. A couple of flash grenades and shotguns shells can bring him down without much effort

he's always just destroyed all the cabins for me. the key is in one of the cabins.

thats what I meant

Chipopo

Banned
Why would you keep the punisher if you have the Red9?

You should be able to fit a Red9 + holster, Rifle + scope, shotgun, and the submachine gun + holster if you got the first attache upgrade (when you're first introduced to the merchant)

Naked Snake said:
I didn't buy the sub-machine gun... the storage space is really limited it sucks.

Seriously I totally feel you on that one. The Sub-machine gun is a living personification of lame, but in all honestly it totally owns El Gigante in every way.

Especially in that path because the big fucker can't move anywhere but twoards you.

Teddman

Chipopo said:
Why would you keep the punisher if you have the Red9?

You should be able to fit a Red9 + holster, Rifle + scope, shotgun, and the submachine gun + holster if you got the first attache upgrade (when you're first introduced to the merchant)
Well, the Punisher does shoot through multiple enemies, in that it's unique. Still wasn't worth it to me in light of the vastly improved firepower of other handgun models.

Oh yeah, and I did BOTH paths in that chapter. :D

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I hate the TMP. Useless piece of crap.

Actually, maybe it gets better, but I sold that pretty damn soon after buying it.

I always preferred the Blacktail to the Red9. Both have advantages over each other though, each are vaild choices. As soon as I had the Blacktail, Striker and and Semi-Automatic Rifle, I was set. No need for anything else.

Odnetnin

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
I hate the TMP. Useless piece of crap.

Actually, maybe it gets better, but I sold that pretty damn soon after buying it.

I always preferred the Blacktail to the Red9. Both have advantages over each other though, each are vaild choices. As soon as I had the Blacktail, Striker and and Semi-Automatic Rifle, I was set. No need for anything else.

the TMP wasn't so bad. Didn't get it in the main game with Leon but it worked a treat with Ada.

Top Bottom