• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.U.S.E. |OT| Of Feints and Schwerpunkts

Well, it's either a case of haters saying it isn't Starcraft, so why bother, or now...Civ. You'd think the herd were engaged in some sort of digital eugenics program.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It took less than fifteen minutes for it to become blatantly obvious this game is not a StarCraft or Civilization clone.

And that, in my opinion, is a huge pro towards this game.

And of course then there are a few hapless citizens who don't own a gaming PC and are happy to be able to play a decent RTS on their console (which, with the Move controls on PS3, seems to be much less painful than usual - now it's just some framerate, texture quality and pop-in niggles ;) ). Look forward to trying this as soon as I get a Move in my hands (hopefully by tomorrow).

I've got to say, the full PS3 game is certainly - at least in my experience - a prettier and more polished game that what the demo makes it out to be. I've not had any framerate issues, and there does seem to be less of that pop-in within the campaign.

The romance grows.

Dascu said:
Shameful confession: I'll probably wait until a Steam sale.

No shame in that. At least there's interest!

In regards to Fersis' question of skirmish save abilities on PS3 - indeed there is, Eugen haven't left us in the lurch.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Pylon_Trooper said:
No shame in that. At least there's interest!

In regards to Fersis' question of skirmish save abilities on PS3 - indeed there is, Eugen haven't left us in the lurch.
OH GOD YESS!!!!!

Ok, im 100% sure im gonna buy it now!
Want to try some co op with you. I have a headset and an awful english waiting for you. :lol

Torgo

Played this last night using PlayStation Move. Let me preface this post by saying that I didn't read the manual, and I completely suck at RTS.

The Move controls are pretty good overall. I used the Nav controller as well, which definitely helped with camera control. The audio is great, and the visuals are very nice, but there is some texture pop-in when you change camera perspectives etc. The game is very playable with Move though, and is one of the better launch titles for the new controllers.

Man, 4v4 matches can get... interesting. :D

We ended up losing though. The stupid AI blew all their money and didn't bother building admin buildings, so it eventually ended up as 3 vs me.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any tips for a healthy economy? That's probably my biggest gripe so far, how restricting the slow economy can be. I try to have epic hour long matches but spend 80% of the time tapping my fingers as I wait for the cash to drip into my HQ.

Do you blow all your money on admin buildings leaving yourself undefended against rush attacks? Or capture all possible supply points and just go for it?

I wouldn't use Admin buildings until the mid to late game, given that they're a hundred bucks a pop. A lot of hardware can be fielded for that price, hardware that can be used to capture enemy supply depots. But that's the beauty of the game, your strategies are your own!

For me, it's 1-2 supply depots > barracks > 2-3 recon > 4-8 inf. > hopefully 2 supply depot (under radio silence by the time my first inf. are rolling out) > armour/anti-armour...and then it goes on.

It sounds like a mad-fun game you had, though!

gola

Amazing game. It´s the first time RTS is possible on console. The UI is pure genius. Like how the aircombat is handled separatly with the left directional pad. And how you don´t have to select the building before ordering new troops. The slow starts are perfect. This is an intelligent mans tactical game, not a speedkey sport like SC.

Gola, great impressions. The d-pad air support function is brilliant. Just finished the Italian theatre in the single player, in between playing some skirmishes before hitting the online. Such a rollicking game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Pylon_Trooper said:
Gola, great impressions. The d-pad air support function is brilliant. Just finished the Italian theatre in the single player, in between playing some skirmishes before hitting the online. Such a rollicking game.
So you got your copy?
Wait for me! (Give me a week or two)

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game. Still playing the campaign. I have to say though that the texture pop in on the PS3 version can get really ridiculous at times.

Can't wait to start playing multiplayer but I need to finish the campaign mode first.

Bamelin said:
I'm really enjoying the game. Still playing the campaign. I have to say though that the texture pop in on the PS3 version can get really ridiculous at times.

Can't wait to start playing multiplayer but I need to finish the campaign mode first.

I've noticed the pop-in has certain levels where it's really prevalent, but others much less so. Otherwise, it's the best damn RTS I've played in a long time. The bigger scope is intoxicating! By the by, what's your PSN tag, Bamelin? Timezone permitting, we could get a game on sometime.

Fersis, yep, my copy came in the post on Monday. It's fantastic. Fear not, it'll be on rotation for a long, looooong time.

From the developers, the PS3 pop-in will be highly reduced in the upcoming patch, along with a few other bugs here and there.

Sounds good to me!

gola

My psn tag is HerrSommer. Would be great to get a GAF 4 player going. Away from my ps3 this weekend though :-(

My only fear is that weak sales will make them close the online servers at some point. But I don´t know if it is expensive to rent psn capability.

gola said:
My psn tag is HerrSommer. Would be great to get a GAF 4 player going. Away from my ps3 this weekend though :-(

My only fear is that weak sales will make them close the online servers at some point. But I don´t know if it is expensive to rent psn capability.

Added you and Bamelin. Gonna be away for the weekend too, but maybe next week sometime. Fear not on the server issue. Ubisoft keeps its servers open. Endwar is still kicking and that was a while ago.

Fersis

Pylon_Trooper said:
From the developers, the PS3 pop-in will be highly reduced in the upcoming patch, along with a few other bugs here and there.

Sounds good to me!
Nice! (Do you have a link to the source?)
Great support.

I WANT THIS GAME!!!!!

Fersis said:
Nice! (Do you have a link to the source?)
Great support.

I WANT THIS GAME!!!!!

Link

Cedric Le Dressay said:
Hello Ron,

Thanks for your congratulations.

Pops will be highly reduced on ps3 with the next patch.
Still, I doubt the patch will be released before 1 month because of Sony
submission program.

All the best,

Cedric Le Dressay
CEO
Eugen Systems S.A.

Nice work there, Eugen!

NewBrof said:
R.U.S.E is surely great, but don't forget Brütal Legend or even Pikmin...

Oh indeed sir, but in terms of traditional notions of RTS, it's definitely the best in show for the console platforms.

Fersis

Thats pretty nice of them.
Hopefully ill get the game next week.

Fersis

First R.U.S.E PC Patch

What does this new patch brings?

- Region Unlock. Steam has changed the way we see games in multi since the Ruse Free WeekEnd. The consequence is that on the current build you see only people very close to your steam region.
The patch allows to broader the regions.

-Deactivation of golden chips. More info latter.

-Minor corrections. More info latter.

That'll be a great patch, regardless of platform.

Just wanted to say the iTunes submission for the RUSE HQ Broadcast has been approved, and I've added the links to the OP. However, it's still a day or so away from appearing on the iTunes Store, so keep your eye on it after the weekend and all should be ready to go!

I'm going to be asking for some impressions from you guys for the next broadcast, so stay tuned. Hope you're all digging the game.

Fersis, you'll love it.

dk_

Played the RUSE demo with Move and it's suprisingly fun. But, fml, I saw the PC version and now the PS3 graphics seem vastly inferior to me. Still good implementation!

Pylon_Trooper said:
Just wanted to say the iTunes submission for the RUSE HQ Broadcast has been approved, and I've added the links to the OP. However, it's still a day or so away from appearing on the iTunes Store, so keep your eye on it after the weekend and all should be ready to go!

Will do!

Just had an awesome tank battle.

For every T-34 the Tigers destroyed, I had another two rolling in. :D

AndyD

aka andydumi
Great game. And it looks fantastic.

Two questions:
- can you assign routes/waypoints?
- can you have units stay selected after giving order? If we can do waypoints, this is not important.

No waypoints, sir, but within the options, you can check the 'Sticky Select' (or something along those lines) option and it'll keep the unit selected. It's the only way to play. :D

AndyD

aka andydumi
Pylon_Trooper said:
No waypoints, sir, but within the options, you can check the 'Sticky Select' (or something along those lines) option and it'll keep the unit selected. It's the only way to play. :D

Thanks. It was bothering me to keep selecting them over and over.

I turned on the sticky selection in the demo, but haven't used it since. It can be useful in some situations, but I've just got used to reselecting everything. Probably because I don't stick with one unit for long, I'm constantly darting around the map.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pylon_Trooper said:

If you're on PC, hold shift and you can set up multiple commands for units and groups, essentially waypointing.

EatChildren

Pylon_Trooper said:
How's the review coming along, Eat?

Aiming for tomorrow or Monday. I've got a few things on so it might slip into Tuesday, but if I manage my weekend like I should be managing my RUSE I'll get it done soon :p.

Fersis

None of my usual importers have RUSE.
:(

Haunted

Wow!

I haven't been impressed by such seamless scaling in a videogame landscape since Populous III the first Black & White. Just started out in the SP campaign, and it's all relatively simple and manageable so far as far as unit control and management goes.

Which is a good thing, because with all the time I spend speeding and rotating and zooming around the map, marvelling at all the details and things going on, I'd have no chance microing my troops properly. :lol Really, could play around with these miniature worlds all day. Lovely lovely.

Yeah it's a shame you don't spend more time zoomed in. The textures and detail are incredibly rich.

It's spoiled me in a way. When I go back to games like Total War and CoH, I want to zoom all the way out see the whole landscape, but I can't!

Haunted said:
Wow!

I haven't been impressed by such seamless scaling in a videogame landscape since Populous III the first Black & White. Just started out in the SP campaign, and it's all relatively simple and manageable so far as far as unit control and management goes.

Which is a good thing, because with all the time I spend speeding and rotating and zooming around the map, marvelling at all the details and things going on, I'd have no chance microing my troops properly. :lol Really, could play around with these miniature worlds all day. Lovely lovely.

:D Haunted, glad this wasn't a Section 8 experience for you! Goddamn gorgeous game, inhabits a very interesting place in the genre. Dunno where a lot of the other GAF Strat-heads are...probably begins somewhere with 'this's Jimmy!'.

kerrak

Have been playing a good bunch of games online and i see some metagames tendencies showing.
The most prominent is people going for easy quick wins using paratroopers. They capture your buildings at the beginning collapsing your whole strategy. Right now it is imperative to create some defenses before anything else or you'll be trapped.
My recommendation is to build AA and infantry and let them come...lol.
Of course, if you're more of an aerial player, you can use fighters as defenders.

Similar metagame is for italian players rushing your supply depots with light and quick tanks. Some AntiArmor is also a good idea at the beginning.

I've scored many victories against all those rush gamers.

The thing i like about this game is that you can implement many different strategies. The most sarisfying moments come when you annihilate those that go for easy victories relying on unbalanced or unrealistic strategies.

Have you seen more metagame tendencies?

kerrak said:
Have been playing a good bunch of games online and i see some metagames tendencies showing.
The most prominent is people going for easy quick wins using paratroopers. They capture your buildings at the beginning collapsing your whole strategy. Right now it is imperative to create some defenses before anything else or you'll be trapped.
My recommendation is to build AA and infantry and let them come...lol.
Of course, if you're more of an aerial player, you can use fighters as defenders.

Similar metagame is for italian players rushing your supply depots with light and quick tanks. Some AntiArmor is also a good idea at the beginning.

I've scored many victories against all those rush gamers.

The thing i like about this game is that you can implement many different strategies. The most sarisfying moments come when you annihilate those that go for easy victories relying on unbalanced or unrealistic strategies.

Have you seen more metagame tendencies?

This is what I want to see. It's true, the Italians can field tankettes straight from the barracks, the Carro Veloces and, from memory, the M11s. IF the can get their light armoured force in to harass infantry and supply before the AT Base goes up or the Infantry can get to cover or a position for ambush, the damage a set of cheap and fast tankettes is phenomenal.

The French have a similar unit, the H39. But what makes that even better is the armor rating of 2, rather than the Veloce's utterly 0 when it comes to how much it can take.

Top Bottom