• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racial Bias Found in US Court System Jury Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

It's completely unsurprising. There's a Yale course on the death penalty available online where Stephen Bright goes over the many loopholes that all but guarantee the presence of racial bias in jury selection. He also talks about some similar issues in this speech on indifference to indigent defense. The latter is essentially an abridged version of the former.

It's worse than you think.

Well the confederacy lost, so this is still part of the US south! Anything I can do to remind people that racism is alive and well in all 50 states, though. Everyone's shit stinks here and I'm just here to waft those fumes over as a gentle reminder.
Hey. Don't let me rain on your junior Orange Bowl Parade lol..show your pride.

LOL You can't really eliminate racial bias from jury selection unless jury selection is 16 completely random people and Voir Dire is eliminated from the process

LOL You can't really eliminate racial bias from jury selection unless jury selection is 16 completely random people and Voir Dire is eliminated from the process

Really?

I can think of plenty of ways for lawyers to be able to get information from potential jurors without knowing their race, and they don't mean you have to get rid of voir dire.

Hell, the pool can sit in another room and answer questions through text/microphones if that's what it takes. Put them behind a screen. Do SOMETHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom