• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

racing seats / cockpit setups

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
weekend_warrior said:
:lol :lol :lol

OMG I lost it when you and your buddy started ripping on the G27. "Cheap plastic Toys-R-Us shit" :lol

Damn rich-GAF, never ceases to amaze me. :lol You gotta upload more videos with better lighting so we can really see that setup.

I know right? I seriously went off that G25 rant :lol: It's a good wheel though in all honesty.

Gotta get my digicam fixed before I post more vids.

1-D_FTW

weekend_warrior said:
:lol :lol :lol

OMG I lost it when you and your buddy started ripping on the G27. "Cheap plastic Toys-R-Us shit" :lol

Damn rich-GAF, never ceases to amaze me. :lol You gotta upload more videos with better lighting so we can really see that setup.

Isamu is his own age (Isamu-age).

Nice thread guys, had no idea it existed. Just found out thanks to the GT5 thread.

Alright, so here's my custom setup! I wouldn't have it any other way. It took me about 2 hours to build, cost me $12 in wood, and I happened to have an old Civic Si bench laying around collecting dust. The seat reclines and moves back an forth like it would in a car, so it's very accommodating. It's sturdy as hell too.

WYMYy.jpg

FJWT7.jpg

GYte3.jpg

PVAgf.jpg

And just for shits and giggles:

vNwio.jpg

:D

I'll be building a new setup soon, once I finish moving into my new house. Same deal, but built with stainless steel 1 1/2" square tubing. Should be sick! :D

railGUN

Banned
Here's my post from the GT5 OT:

I finally (almost) finished my custom built G27 setup. I got all the materials for free from my dad, who is a big time do-it-yourself guy and a bit of a pack-rat. It is mostly 3/4" plywood, the middle column and base plates are steel (I guess), and the pedal rest is on a hinge for quick adjustability. The carpet is just outdoor carpet I had left over from a reno last summer. The chair is an old Ikea chair that I modified, and covered in a fomie. The gear-shift mount is attached to the chair, but the gear-shift has to be removed in order to move everything which is a bit of a pain. In total, the thing weighs at least 60lbs, and is sturdy as a rock, but a bit hard to move :lol . Picts:

7yZyL.jpg

ReAxF.jpg

yKDgr.jpg

qXceF.jpg

JPyno.jpg

Wednesday can not come fast enough.

oatmeal

Banned
So this might sound stupid...

But how realistic does it feel to drive with a wheel like that G27 and the full stick shift/clutch?

Is it more of a novelty or do the games actually require you to do it like you would in real life? I'm intrigued by that aspect of the games as I've always just played Automatic in my racing games.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Good setup guys. Very impressive :)

tturunen

Neo Member
Neuromancer said:
photo.jpg

Just set this up last week. It's a Playseat Alcantara with mat, seat slider (which I definitely recommend) and the MS Wireless Wheel. It was pricey but worth it, if I tried to make a DIY it would probably look like Homer's spice rack. All in all I'm really happy with it although the instruction manual left A LOT to be desired, I ended up having to get help from Amazon's customer reviews of all places.

I also got Playseat, and really worth to get.
Wheel is Fanatec "Porsche 911 Turbo S Wheel", works with xbox360, ps3 and pc.
http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=250&lang=en
Also pricey but I´ve been happy, big plus is support of both system.

Fox1304

So ... finally had time to try my new GameRacer seat ...
And I like it. I suppose it's not Playseat-level quality, but heh ... paid 20€ for it with a Logitech Driving Force ! :D
It doesn't move, can be adjusted for the most important parts, and feels reaaaaly good when sat on it.

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

Now the only thing missing is a G25/27, but I'm working on it as we speak :lol

Do you guys reckon it's worth ditching the G25 and MS wireless wheel for Fanatec's GT2 Clubsport Edition? I could get around £300 from ebay for them.

Is there anything the Logitech does better?

LCfiner

drugstore_cowboy said:
Do you guys reckon it's worth ditching the G25 and MS wireless wheel for Fanatec's GT2 Clubsport Edition? I could get around £300 from ebay for them.

Is there anything the Logitech does better?

I'll repost from the other thread, lol.

I say do it. the G25 is great but the MS wheel pales in comparison so it's hindering your future FM4 enjoyment :)

G25 has a better H shifter than the fanatec but the fanatec has the better pedals (since you're going for the real deal clubsports), the better ffb mechanism (quieter, smoother) and, of course, the cross compatibility with the 360. oh, and as a personal preference, i like how the d-pad and main buttons are on the wheel and not the shifter module.

LCfiner said:
I'll repost from the other thread, lol.

I say do it. the G27 is great but the MS wheel pales in comparison so it's hindering your future FM4 enjoyment :)

G27 has a better H shifter than the fanatec but the fanatec has the better pedals (since you're going for the real deal clubsports), the better ffb mechanism (quieter, smoother) and, of course, the cross compatibility with the 360. oh, and as a personal preference, i like how the d-pad and main buttons are on the wheel and not the shifter module.

Yeah sorry about that :lol

The H shifter on the G25 is the only niggle I have with the wheel to be honest, it's a little toy-like and fragile, also getting it into 3rd under pressure is a pain in the arse.

I'm going to start knocking up an ebay listing then, thanks for that.

Fox1304

Is the GT2 still on sale ?
I thought they stopped producing them, and so stopped producing PS3 & 360 compatible wheels ?

LCfiner

Fox1304 said:
Is the GT2 still on sale ?
I thought they stopped producing them, and so stopped producing PS3 & 360 compatible wheels ?

actually, the GT2 is brand new. it's the Turbo S that they stopped selling. this is replacing that model.

it uses the same, fancy leather as the GT3 wheel but has the Turbo S xbox compatible internals. 250 for the wheel alone or 500 with the wheel, clubsport pedals and shifter set

LCfiner

Fox1304 said:
Ouch.
Was very interested until I saw the price for all.
But, would the G25 shifter/pedals be compatible ?

you can use G25 pedals with a cheap adapter cable that they sell. i think you need to get the fanatec shifter, though. that's 50.

another option is the el-cheapo regular fanatec pedals for 50 bucks but if you alreddy have g25 pedals, stick with those

frogg609

I wound up ordering the GT2 wheel, the shifter set, the base pedals with the metal base, and the Rennsport stand for the whole lot. Little over 500. Eventually I'll upgrade to ClubSports, but I'd rather have the stand at this point in time.

Unicorn

mrklaw said:
What do you lust after?
A fully enclosed model cockpit of a WipEout craft. Surround screen and sound filling what would be the "glass" of the cockpit, with a controller resembling a cross between a modified Road Blaster arcade wheel to something out of an aircraft. The "cockpit" would bank with airbreaks, shift side to side with turns, shake from impact, and pitch and yawn via my controller input tilting forward/back. Fully leather seat with seatbelt and lots of bells and whistles to immerse me completely in the experience of being a WipEout pilot.

The use? WipEout HD Fury + with 1080p 3D gaming (two ps3's under the hood?). Since this thing would cost me a lottery winning, I might as well commission Studio Liverpool to add some new tracks, old classics remastered, redone cockpit view that would show the nose (where applicable) of my chosen ship, more HUD options and voice options for announcer (specifically the Voice and sounds of WipEout XL), new skins and teams, and a few tweaks to weapon damage (like plasma shot being a one hit kill if direct hit on engine where emission trail comes from).

Gaming Nirvana.

EL Beefo

I posted this in the GT5 thread awhile back too.

kYQS5l.jpg

9jUOMl.jpg

UuSnIl.jpg

And under the "hood" (There were a few more supports added after this picture.)
bxYw3.jpg

pmj

I ordered the new Fanatec wheel earlier in the week and I think something went wrong during the procedure.

I went with PayPal, since I'm not German and I don't know what a money order even is. The site claims that payment is due immediately after you order, but during the checkout procedure I was transfered to the PayPal site where nothing at all happened. It's the first time I use PayPal so I'm not sure how it's supposed to work, but no money has been withdrawn from my account and I got no confirmation mail from Fanatec. The Fanatec site, though, claims the my order is now pending.

For you who just bought this wheel, were you charged, or did what happened to me also happen to you?

kiun

pmj said:
I ordered the new Fanatec wheel earlier in the week and I think something went wrong during the procedure.

I went with PayPal, since I'm not German and I don't know what a money order even is. The site claims that payment is due immediately after you order, but during the checkout procedure I was transfered to the PayPal site where nothing at all happened. It's the first time I use PayPal so I'm not sure how it's supposed to work, but no money has been withdrawn from my account and I got no confirmation mail from Fanatec. The Fanatec site, though, claims the my order is now pending.

For you who just bought this wheel, were you charged, or did what happened to me also happen to you?

My credit card was charged (through Paypal).

Sorry for another bump/question...

How much does the GT2 CE work out in GBP inc postage?

I can't remember my login details for the Fanatec site to see that far.

slamskank

The GT2 clubsport ed. is awesome. Too rich for my blood though, I wouldn't have my G25 save for the fact I got it for $200. I forgot to post pics of my setup so I'll try doing that tonight.

frogg609

kiun said:
Just pulled the trigger on the gt2 clubsport edition. My wife is gonna kill me if she finds out.

Haha. I asked my wife about it, and she said that "you only live once. order it".

I love my wife, who supports my insanity 100%. :D

To those who have tried it, how effective is sticking a sub under or behind the racing seat in these setups? does it help give the immersion of feeling rumble strips and knocks? since those sounds are usually deep on bass.

My Buttkicker Gamer stopped working a few weeks ago. It used to create a really strong rumble/vibration, now all of a sudden it sucks. Anyone have any experience with it?

Basically it's a motor you clamp to your chair, makes it feel like the seat is rumbling. It's really cool, well when it works anyway.

Neuromancer said:
My Buttkicker Gamer stopped working a few weeks ago. It used to create a really strong rumble/vibration, now all of a sudden it sucks. Anyone have any experience with it?

Basically it's a motor you clamp to your chair, makes it feel like the seat is rumbling. It's really cool, well when it works anyway.
How long did it work fully for? if I could get a year or two out of the thing I would be happy.

I just re-arranged and painted my room and now have space for more serious gaming tools like a kinect and a racing seat :p so I am interested.

Diablohead said:
How long did it work fully for? if I could get a year or two out of the thing I would be happy.

I just re-arranged and painted my room and now have space for more serious gaming tools like a kinect and a racing seat :p so I am interested.
Less than half a year. =\

I'm now going back and forth with their tech support over email, I'm hoping they can help.

rise888

I read on other forums that the original butt kicker gamer had some problems with the amp. The buttkicker gamer 2 amp is supposedly much better now. Maybe it's the amp?

rise888 said:
I read on other forums that the original butt kicker gamer had some problems with the amp. The buttkicker gamer 2 amp is supposedly much better now. Maybe it's the amp?
That must have been the problem, since they're sending me a new amp. Just got the email today. Good news for me!

right now I'm not convinced switching from G25 + MS wireless wheel to the GT2 was worth it, the wheel looks terrific, the Clubsport pedals are great but G25's force feedback in GT5 felt so much better, GT2 feels heavy and lifeless in comparison.

Any new/better firware on the horizon?

DrMungo

I have a second hand wheel i picked up for PS2. It definitely works with Gran Turismo fine.

However for games that use the shoulder buttons for gas/brake the pedals and paddles don't work. There are "mode" buttons and "macro" buttons that I keep pushing ( i'm not sure what they do) and nothing changes. So NFS and Midway Arcade Treasures dont work right.

This wheel is not great quality, its a "Datel" brand. I figured someone on here knows the answer.

Raudi

5458857195_fb7f82fd4a_z.jpg

3 PS3 (GT5) | 3 XBOX (Forza) | PC w/GTX 590 | 3 NEC 23" LCD | Obutto | Fanatec PWTS | Spherex 5.1 | Buttkicker Pro

I am very happy with the Obutto cockpit! Quality is top notch and I can game for hours with no discomfort at all (used to have a Playseat EVO)

My Youtube Video of Shift 2 PC Multi Monitor action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xHDje3NVt0

DrMungo

anyone know how to make steering wheels work for games that use shoulder buttons? (As opposed to games that use face buttons like Gran turismo?)

Top Bottom