• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Black History Month essay shocks school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurongel

It's hard to even be angry about this, it's more depressing than anything else. Think about the set of conditions a kid must have in their life such that not only do they harbor such vile and hateful thoughts but that they exist in an environment where they think something like this would go off without a hitch.

It's really that last part that gets me the most, it's just soul crushing. It's a symptom of her environment and her upbringing which is far more upsetting because it makes you realize that she's one of many people in her life that have a normalized view like that and her mistake was being the one to accidentally let it rip.

dabig2

People assume Jesus is white even though it's the middle east

That's because they ignore the fact that Jesus was an ancient Palestinian Jew who wandered the wilderness his entire adult life as a vagrant, poor hippie.

You could dress Jesus up in today's Sunday best and the same people claiming he was white would be clutching their purses and giving him side-eyes and fearing for their lives.

Lebron

I'm more offended by her lack of intelligence than anything else she said. What happen to No Child Left Behind? Clearly, they left her a while ago.

Apt101

It's hard to even be angry about this, it's more depressing than anything else. Think about the set of conditions a kid must have in their life such that not only do they harbor such vile and hateful thoughts but that they exist in an environment where they think something like this would go off without a hitch.

It's really that last part that gets me the most, it's just soul crushing. It's a symptom of her environment and her upbringing which is far more upsetting because it makes you realize that she's one of many people in her life that have a normalized view like that and her mistake was being the one to accidentally let it rip.

Pretty much this. Also, that private schooling is ruining her. I was not, by any means, the sharpest of high school students, but even 16 year old me could have pointed out every thing wrong with this (aside from the racism, which speaks for itself).

And I don't know how much parenting has to do with this. Sometimes racists come from progressive families, and sometimes vice versa. Since it's Louisiana I'd guess the parents are partially to blame, but we really can't know.

There ought to be a sort of prize, awarded only to those who achieve outstanding feats in the illustrious field of casual everyday racism, preferably involving the phrase "I'm not racist, but". Once per year or so. Worldwide scope, to be fair.

The offender(s) would be awarded - mostly in absentia, obviously, but preferably in person - a realistic model of a persons buttocks, fashioned out of only the finest black marble, mounted on a mahogany (or similarly dark and classy) wooden base, with a plaque emblazoned with golden letters (name, date, twitter-sized excerpt/description of offence). The award ceremony would come with a dinner, some light entertainment like musical/comedy acts and talks, finish off with a fundraiser, and all proceedings after paying for the bust etc. would be donated to anti-racism charities in the respective country under the name of the offender.

I'd suggest to name the trophy the "I'm not racist, butt". Note the comma. It's important.

The gal that wrote that essay would be a prime contender for this prize. Also, despite it being my second language, I kinda wish to tutor her on ze Englisch, cuz even As a kRaut dat snipped in teh pixure hurd ma zoul.
*applause*

Blackhead

Redarse
I keep waiting for this essay to be revealed as some poorly conceived parody/prank. The reality of the situation is just too depressing to process.

Sakujou

Banned
this is sort of the picture i have from southern parts of the US.
I was a huge fan of the US when i was a kid and always wanted to go there because of all the cool movies.
with adulthood i realized this whole bogus about "from rags to riches" only ever applied to white people and this whole thing about freedom is just made up shit. maybe this was real for europeans in the 19th century, but not for the last 100 years.

Iam from Germany, and my parents are from Asia, so iam terrified to see and listen to all of these pure hatred which starts to rise out of simple ignorance.

i really hope, this is just a hoax and not true.

on the other hand, how did trump become the president of the US?

please prove me wrong.

edit: is this really a student, who has finished high school? this reading was more of a written thing by a 10 year old.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's a problem.

Hah, I wouldn't go that far myself but that writing truly IS terrible.

How old is this girl supposed to be? Some have said high school, any cite for that? I can't believe any child older than 8 years old could be so inept at writing.

Amazingly, this girl thinks she's superior to others because of her race, yet she can't even string together a coherent sentence or form a semi-rational thought. Pathetic.

The best part of that "essay", however, has to be the hilarious first line. "I'm not racist but" usually gets followed up by diet racism, not full-blown KKK rhetoric. I wonder what she thinks a "fully racist" person is like. Someone who immediately punches every black person she sees?

Platy

my reaction to the essay and the facebook posts

xV70rYc.png

Apathy

Well, she'll have a really nice job offer from the trump adminstration at least.

Holy hell that was one racist essay, and again fits to show how ignorant these cunts are that they think the Bible and the people in it were white.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Hah, I wouldn't go that far myself but that writing truly IS terrible.

How old is this girl supposed to be? Some have said high school, any cite for that? I can't believe any child older than 8 years old could be so inept at writing.

Oh, please. I see writing as bad as that on GAF all the time. Funnily enough, it mostly seems to come from native speakers, although I could be wrong as I can only guess based on their location. I used to teach English as a second language, which has really ruined the internet for me. Before, I would just skim past spelling mistakes/poor grammar/etc. Nowadays, I often catch myself rolling my eyes and mentally correcting posts until I realize that I'm not being paid to care anymore.

But that essay... I'm just lost for words. Despicable.

RDreamer

Oh, please. I see writing as bad as that on GAF all the time. Funnily enough, it mostly seems to come from native speakers, although I could be wrong as I can only guess based on their location. I used to teach English as a second language, which has really ruined the internet for me. Before, I would just skim past spelling mistakes/poor grammar/etc. Nowadays, I often catch myself rolling my eyes and mentally correcting posts until I realize that I'm not being paid to care anymore.

But that essay... I'm just lost for words. Despicable.

A formal essay probably shouldn't be written the same way as an insanely informal GAF post.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
A formal essay probably shouldn't be written the same way as an insanely informal GAF post.

While it's true that people don't necessarily put as much thought and effort into their posts as they would a formal essay, most people would still correct a mistake unless they just weren't aware that it was a mistake in the first place. I see people making the exact same mistakes that you can see in that very essay all the time. Granted, typos are a thing, and are less likely to be caught by people not scrutinizing their own posts like they would an essay, but when you have the same people making the same mistakes over and over, it's probably safe to say that they just don't realize the mistakes they're making.

And I'm not really having a go at those people. Nobody's perfect. I'm just pointing out that while the writing in that essay is poor, it's not uncommonly so. The actual ideas expressed within are obviously terrible.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
The essay sounds like it came from someone who has grown up in a bad neighborhood and thus equates all black people with any troublemakers she saw growing up. It just so happens she probably has had a ton of bad experiences with black people who have done her wrong and doesn't know any better. It's almost the same of someone disliking all dogs because they were bitten more than once when younger. It happens, but it hopefully isn't too late to show her that this isn't the case with all of us.

I've seen this before and I hope that eventually her opinion will change when traveling or meeting new people. I'm not going to call her a piece of shit or scum like some of you here are doing, however I will say she is really, really ignorant and uneducated on black people and black history, to base things on her own personal experiences alone.

rjinaz

The essay sounds like it came from someone who has grown up in a bad neighborhood and thus equates all black people with any troublemakers she saw growing up. It just so happens she probably has had a ton of bad experiences with black people who have done her wrong and doesn't know any better. It's almost the same of someone disliking all dogs because they were bitten more than once when younger. It happens, but it hopefully isn't too late to show her that this isn't the case with all of us.

I've seen this before and I hope that eventually her opinion will change when traveling or meeting new people. I'm not going to call her a piece of shit or scum like some of you here are doing, however I will say she is really, really ignorant and uneducated on black people and black history, to base things on her own personal experiences alone.

Eh, she thinks Black people would be better off as slaves. She is scum.

We also don't know her personal experiences. It's assuming a lot. It's just as likely she listens to her racist family members and hardly every even sees Black people. For example, the loudest people against illegal immigration tend to be the ones that never even seen illegal immigrants in their lives. Your comparison of people to dogs is weird enough. It also assumes the Black people she knows were behaving badly.

Kevyt

my reaction to the essay and the facebook posts

xV70rYc.png

Same...

But I am really interested in what his presentation was about.

"Historial ties between homophobia in communities of color and colonization"

That sub-title has me super intrigued.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, she thinks Black people would be better off as slaves. She is scum.

Always think of the situation from both perspectives and also age. If you grew up in an environment where you kept seeing a certain race do bad things and you never saw the good side of said race, you would end up just as ignorant as she is on the matter at her age. You'd be just as angry and say an outrageous comment like that too. I have seen it before. She simply doesn't know any better. Everyone coming at her with hate might be pushing her further in that direction, which solves nothing. If she grows up more and has more varied experiences and still keeps the same opinion, then that is a problem.

Lowmelody

She passed the threshold of internalization and externalization. She was raised to be the piece of shit she is and it's naive to think the school can correct what has been carefully cultivated at home her entire life.

Lois_Lane

Always think of the situation from both perspectives and also age. If you grew up in an environment where you kept seeing a certain race do bad things and you never saw the good side of said race, you would end up just as ignorant as she is on the matter at her age. You'd be just as angry and say an outrageous comment like that too. I have seen it before. She simply doesn't know any better. Everyone coming at her with hate might be pushing her further in that direction.

How about no. She goes to an expensive private school which means she has access to the internet(either at home or at school). There is no way she can get to that age without knowing about positive black people(Beyonce, Neil Degrasse Tyson, etc.) She just mean and ignorant. Nothing we say wouldn't push her down a path she was already on.

Glix

I dont care where the fuck she grew up.

Your insinuation that a "bad neighborhood" is all black and the way the people behave there would justify an essay like this shows exactly what you really think

rjinaz

Always think of the situation from both perspectives and also age. If you grew up in an environment where you kept seeing a certain race do bad things and you never saw the good side of said race, you would end up just as ignorant as she is on the matter at her age. You'd be just as angry and say an outrageous comment like that too. I have seen it before. She simply doesn't know any better. Everyone coming at her with hate might be pushing her further in that direction, which solves nothing. If she grows up more and has more varied experiences and still keeps the same opinion, then that is a problem.

I will give you age. I don't think she needs to be punished or doxxed or anything like that. She is young and needs to be educated. Yes there is still hope for her. Her mind is not yet fully developed. But I disagree with your principle. Shame can be an amazing catalyst for change. Maybe the reactions will reach her.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

Your insinuation that a "bad neighborhood" is all black and the way the people behave there would justify an essay like this shows exactly what you really think

Never did I say "all black". The reason I said bad neighborhood is because you don't see many troublemakers out there(of any race) in good neighborhoods, logically. It's funny that you think I'm projecting racism when I'm black myself. Try clicking someone's profile before jumping into an opinion like that. You're better than that, do better.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

You don't know that. We literally had a black president and family in the white house for 8 years, yet she thinks all black people are scary and should be slaves.

That's not a bad neighborhood speaking.

WetWaffle

How can other students even stand to look at her after this abominaton of an essay? I'm calling it, she's gonna come back into the news as a victim of assault. But seriously,how do you change a mind like this? How do you get them on your side? Or are some people just too far gone?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

MrRemyJe said:
Never did I say "all black". The reason I said bad neighborhood is because you don't see many troublemakers out there(of any race) in good neighborhoods, logically. It's funny that you think I'm projecting racism when I'm black myself. Try clicking someone's profile before jumping into an opinion like that. You're better than that, do better.
Dude, the "your" wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the writer of the essay.

Actually it was, because the writer said nothing about bad neighborhoods, I did.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

There's no neiborhood in America where a white person could live in that has black people as the only bad people in it, whereas the good people are all white. That place does NOT exist.

Even in cities like D.C., Chicago, or Atlanta you'd see black cops, teachers, and business owners that were good people.

This little girl is just a full blown racist. Stop making excuses for her.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
There's no neiborhood in America where a white person could live in that has black people as the only bad people in it, whereas the good people are all white. That place does NOT exist.

Even in cities like D.C., Chicago, or Atlanta you'd see black cops, teachers, and business owners that were good people.

This little girl is just a full blown racist. Stop making excuses for her.

That's why I said not all, but you have to admit that certain areas have higher crime rates than others and thus, you will see more bad actions happen in those certain areas. Obviously it won't be all black or all any race. I live in Chicago and there are parts of the south side I'd rarely go to because of the higher possibility of crime. However if you grew up down in certain areas then you'd have an opinion formed about people because it is a problem.

Lois_Lane

That's why I said not all, but you have to admit that certain areas have higher crime rates than others and thus, you will see more bad actions happen in those certain areas. Obviously it won't be all black or all any race. I live in Chicago and there are parts of the south side I'd rarely go to because of the higher possibility of crime.

You think she would say Obama should be a slave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom