• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Twitter user jailed for 56 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people think locking this moron up will lead to other cases where you're locked up for something truly innocuous. So I'm assuming Gahiggidy believes we're already there hence no slippery slope/thin end of the wedge.

He's a twat, the comments he made and the way he responded to others aren't suprising at all considering he's from Pontypridd
and he also looks like my ex which makes me want to punch him in the mouth a little bit
but I'm on the side of "jail time is not necessary". Swansea University did right by suspending him, that'll have a serious impact in the future. Especially at job interviews. Potential employers have likely seen this dickheaad's face, he'll forever be known as a racist (and that is totally okay - what he said was disgusting, vile and should not be tolerated). Hopefully it's made him realise that acting like a piece of shit isn't the way to get on in life.

I just don't like people being used as "an example"... If the system did this to him, that implies the same judgement will be made if 10s or 100s of people complain about other comments on social networking sites (YouTube racism and threats - we've all seen those) which are just as bad. Oh no, that won't happen - because 10s or 100s of people don't complain unless a celebrity or public figure is involved.

As an aside tothat when an average-joe individual receives hateful comments or threats via a social network site, the response is nowhere near this severe... Is that okay?

Disclosure: Everybody's entitled to an opinion I guess, and I stand by mine. It's made for some heated discussions with friends and family.

For once life isn't fair and I don't have a issue with it.

Part of me did feel uneasy when after the trial I heard some official type chap say something along the lines of We hope this goes to show you can't say any old thing online and get away with it -which made me think this may be a delayed reaction to the whole breaking of the Giggs injunction on Twitter thing. But internal conflict be damned! This guy really managed to push my buttons and now I'm so *so* happy to see him suffer.

Dead Man

For once life isn't fair and I don't have a issue with it.

Part of me did feel uneasy when after the trial I heard some official type chap say something along the lines of We hope this goes to show you can't say any old thing online and get away with it -which made me think this may be a delayed reaction to the whole breaking of the Giggs injunction on Twitter thing. But internal conflict be damned! This guy really managed to push my buttons and now I'm so *so* happy to see him suffer.

I was hoping you were being sarcastic, but then I saw your response to his appeal dismissal. Now I am not sure. You seem insane, but consistent.

Gowans

Video interview of the guy post jail

Liam Stacey 'sorry' for racist Muamba tweets

A man jailed for making racist comments on twitter after the footballer Fabrice Muamba's collapse says he is "massively sorry" for his actions.

Liam Stacey, from Pontypridd, served half his 56-day prison term. At the time, a district judge in Swansea called the comments "vile and abhorrent".

Speaking for the first time to BBC Wales, he says he "didn't intend on being a racist" when he got up that day, blaming the incident on "drunken stupidity".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18165854

Walshicus

This isn't bullying. This is a person being a racist douche. Which shouldn't be a crime.

The punishment for saying racist things should be to have people stop listening to you saying racist things.

He didn't prevent someone from getting a job because of their race. He wasn't violent to someone because of their race. His comments were posted on services which have ample mechanisms to allow you to not see things.

Hate where the law is heading in England and Wales. :(

Vyer

Sentence is totally over the top and overreaching, should probably not have jail time.

And yet, I can't help but like it nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom