• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Deadbeat

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Oh I thought those drivers were for 6000 and 5000 cards only, guess I will give it a shot.
They work for 4000 cards as well. ATI didnt bother to mention that for some stupid reason.

The draw distance in this game is nuts. And the level of detail and complexity on display is sobering. Yeah, close up things aren't too nice, but on the whole it really comes together.

So far this feels like a mix of Bioshock (environmental detail and ambiance), Fallout (setting + the shooting you wanted in that game) and a lil Borderlands (setting, NPC quest givers, collecting a bunch of junk). So far it works.

Hawk269 said:
Angular,

Is this tweak mainly for ATI owners. I am ready about the setting "GPU TRANSCODE" and how it is for Nvidia's Cuda Technology. From what I read, those that have a Nvidia Card can enable GPU Transcode and it reduces the texture pop in. I just started and am in the starting area and I have noticed zero pop in, 1080p, locked 60fps with Vsycn, AFx16 and trippe buffering forced through the driver and 16xAA in the game settings and have not noticed any pop up. Again, just in the starting are though.

But, can anyone confirm this "GPU Transcode" thing?

My tweak is universal, for both nvidia, amd. However if someone doesn't experience pop in, great, there's no reason to experiment with this.

Gvaz

Banned
I liked Brink on that free weekend they had going but it didn't want to save my progress after playing it for a bit on steam, and it also felt really shallow.

Smokey

The 16k x 16k config that Angular posted was for AMD cards only? Lol. I'm on green team and used them, but I didn't know. Dunno if it's placebo or what but I took some picks and the rocks look a lot clearer and sharper than before I used what Angular put up:

jett said:
This is the only game I can think of that has obvious compression artifacts on nearly every texture, lolz. They aren't just low-res, they're filled macroblocking too.

And according to Carmack they are already 30% better looking than what they had managed to make them look, before they contacted Microsoft to get a license for their "HD Photo" image compression codec.

Pimpbaa

Deadbeat said:
Techland bit off more than they can chew but Dead Island is still playable. Rage is shit on every platform but the 360 (once again par for the course with multiplatform games).

It isn't shit on a PC with an Nvidia card.

Pimpbaa said:
It isn't shit on a PC with an Nvidia card.
And its no longer shit for me with that ATI performance driver. Runs smooth and silky now. That and v-synch, triple buffering and a few other tweaks.

nitric0

angular graphics said:
Go to your "base" folder.

Create a file named "rageconfig.cfg"

type inside:

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 16384
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 16384
vt_pageimagesizeunique 16384
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 16384
vt_restart

save it and start rage

Carmack & Willits said they would do it before release; the console version uses 4k x 4k (loaded) textures, but the PC version should/would use 8k x 8k, and after release they would tweak it to use 16k x 16k - but no, the PC version shipped using 4k x 4k textures like on consoles thus it has the exact same (bad) pop in as on consoles.

But why wait for Carmack? Tweak it yourself now!

Note: you will likely need a lot of RAM (maybe VRAM as well), for example more than 4GBs.
If you have just 4GBs of RAM, or if you notice that some parts aren't loading instead of 16384 use the value 8192. In fact if you have second thoughts, you might want to first test it with the value 8192, because it will definitely make a noticeable difference, and it should work on all modern gaming computers. And then see if you can handle 16384 as well.

Good luck, and anyone that tries it please report back your experience :)
Create what file, a text document?

Derrick01

Banned
sn1pes said:
Those who activated retail keys:

Steam is saying I 'already own' the two extra codes that came with the game (weapons + sewer) and that I should check my Library, but I don't see anything?

Right click the game in your library and hit view downloadable content. That's where both of mine are but then again I had to input both codes after I put my activation key in. They came on a sheet, one on each side.

jet1911 said:
So. Dead Island or Rage for worst launch of the year? :p

Well Techland has the "excuse" of uploading a dev build to explain most of their performance crap and that was fixed after half a day.

But if we're going from personal experience then yeah definitely Dead Island because the game was unplayable for me for that time whereas I've dodged the bullet on Rage, and I'm enjoying Rage about 100 times more than DI so far.

Gvaz

Banned
Smokey said:
The 16k x 16k config that Angular posted was for AMD cards only? Lol. I'm on green team and used them, but I didn't know. Dunno if it's placebo or what but I took some picks and the rocks look a lot clearer and sharper than before I used what Angular put up:

What's your setup and fps? That just needs some AA and it will look like a 2011 game. Any shots with buildings or whatever instead of stretched textures on rocks?

still unplayable for me

been trying for 6 hours to get this shit to work

steam shows i have 104 minutes of playtime and i only stepped outside

maybe that's why some say it has 20 hours of playtime

SoulClap

Rewmac said:
Thanks a lot. I have CC for initial setup (at least as far as I figured out) won't it be a problem that two of these programs are running? Oh and does RadeonPro have to run when I start the game from destkop? And no I'm getting good old retail version :)

It shouldn't be a problem to have both programs running. I prefer to have just RadeonPro running. Windows starts up much faster for me without CCC. To disable CCC from starting up with Windows type msconfig in the search field of the Start Menu. Go to the 'Startup' tab and uncheck 'Catalyst Control Center'. RadeonPro should be running when you start the game from the desktop. There is also an option in the settings to start RP with Windows as well.

Smokey

Gvaz said:
What's your setup and fps? That just needs some AA and it will look like a 2011 game. Any shots with buildings or whatever instead of stretched textures on rocks?

Core i7 2600k, 16GB RAM, SLI 3GB 580s (SLI is disabled so I'm only using one).

1080p, solid 60fps at all times. I was using AA and SGSSAA through Inspector but I guess it didn't work. I'll try and use the default game values for AA through Rage itself and see the difference with some AA on it.

TheExodu5

Banned
jett said:
This is the only game I can think of that has obvious compression artifacts on nearly every texture, lolz. They aren't just low-res, they're filled macroblocking too.

A 10 hour long, 25GB game with macroblocking? The fuck?

Gvaz

Banned
Deadbeat said:
I can only eat a handful of candy corn before I feel like I'm going to literally throw up. I fucking love it though.
Smokey said:

1080p, solid 60fps at all times. I was using AA and SGSSAA through Inspector but I guess it didn't work. I'll try and use the default game values for AA through Rage itself and see the difference with some AA on it.
Nice, though if you're using 2 580s why in the hell are you still at 1080p? Go 1600p or triple monitor or go home.

jett said:

Told you they butchered the art assets. Sucks, i know how much you were looking forward to this.

Truespeed

Well, rather than return the PS3 version I decided to sell the Anarchy edition. Made an extra $10 from the sale. I should have known better than to buy a game for a system that was on the receiving end of 5 years of trash talking by the engine guy. I'll probably pick up the PC or 360 version when it goes on sale.

forrest

formerly nacire
NullPointer said:
OK. Uninstalled previous ATI drivers, restarted, installed the performance driver, restarted (so that damned AMD External events service could start). Configured CCC to force V-sync, enabled triple buffering and set texture filtering to high quality. Modified the launch options to remove the intro videos too, for the hell of it.

End result from 5 minutes in game? Flawless victory.

No tearing and solid 60fps. I do still see some texture loading, but its at about Gears 3 levels so no biggie.

Awesome man, did your settings stay for you hdtv stuff?

Smokey

Gvaz said:

Gvaz said:
I can only eat a handful of candy corn before I feel like I'm going to literally throw up. I fucking love it though.

Nice, though if you're using 2 580s why in the hell are you still at 1080p? Go 1600p or triple monitor or go home.

Who said that wasn't part of the plan :p

Here's the shot with 16x AA. 16x AF forced through drivers.

I'm thinking Angular's config worked, because it looks a lot better to me.

Gvaz

Banned
Smokey said:
That's good to hear, otherwise you've got some major overkill for 99% of games out there. I'm pretty sure you could do a two monitor spread with one 580 of any multi-monitor capable game easily enough.

Other than some subpar texture work in that shot, that looks fucking great.

nib95

Banned
Smokey said:

Here's the shot with 16x AA. 16x AF forced through drivers.

Ok, don't get me wrong, that does look awesome, mainly due to the art direction and setting. But technically speaking, I'm just not blown away here. A lack of detail, a very detached skybox compared to the actual assets, lighting that seems unrealistic or more cartoon like, lack of realism and specularity(?) to the weapon models and so forth.

I mean, I really do LOVE the art direction. But from a graphical technical standpoint, besides the 60fps which is admittedly a huge thing, I'm just not seeing it.

JohngPR

EekTheKat said:
Playing the PS3 version (after install and the launch day patch/extra content patched it)right now on an early Slim with a Momentus XT drive - only a couple instances of very minor texture pop in but the rest seems pretty damn good so far. Haven't seen one texture pop in since then.

Could've sworn I saw the dynamic framebuffer at work in one scene, but it very, very quickly recovered.

Really pretty game though. Framerate so far is really nice. Audio on PS3 so far is really good in surround.

That's one thing it has over the 360 version....DTS Surround sound. It's very well implemented and very clear. :)

I've only been vaguely aware of the PC issues up to this point, and finally had the time to fire up my Steam copy tonight. Well... fuck me.

Using a Radeon 5770, it crashed right away at first, but after installing this "fix" right here, the game now launches and treats me to horrendous tearing, scattered N64 era textures, and missing sound effects from the Anarchy Edition weapons? What?

Really don't have the time to research this thread and / or troubleshoot this POS to death. Maybe I'll just uninstall the damn thing, pray for magic, and give it another try in a month.

Gvaz

Banned
nib95 said:
Ok, don't get me wrong, that does look awesome, mainly due to the art direction and setting. But technically speaking, I'm just not blown away here. A lack of detail, a very detached skybox compared to the actual assets, lighting that seems unrealistic or more cartoon like, lack of realism and specularity(?) to the weapon models and so forth.

I mean, I really do LOVE the art direction. But from a graphical technical standpoint, besides the 60fps which is admittedly a huge thing, I'm just not seeing it.
Yeah from a technical standpoint it's ugly. No shadows or major lighting on the guns, no dynamic lights everything's baked, doesn't look like there's soft shadows or any ssao, texture work is rather inconsistent at the best of times, and that shot is not the best one since there's just like, nothing in it. Some dirt and rocks and sparse grass.

But the clarity of that is a huge improvement over the other shots ive seen.

edit: Sorry if I sound like an asshole, but I'm of the opinion if you can't or don't want to spend an hour fiddling with something every now and then to get a game or program working properly that doesn't want to play nice, or for a game wait for a patch that fixes it, you probably shouldn't be playing PC games. It comes with the territory, so you can just deal with it and go along with it, or you can do something else. Anyways, that's how I feel about that.

JohngPR

nib95 said:

That's exactly the reason Insomniac opted to stop making games at 60fps...not enough people notice or care how hard it is to implement that...all people really care about is graphical fidelity.

jett

D-Member
I wonder why was color grading/filtering removed from the game(among other things, like DOF).

Definitely used to look better back in 2008, despite texture quality being the same.

YbqXa.jpg

9bF56.jpg

bsCpI.jpg

hj8Hy.jpg

u0X8g.jpg

XcQW9.jpg

ajeBL.jpg

UOZXv.jpg

fGnKW.jpg

Pimpbaa

JohngPR said:
That's one thing it has over the 360 version....DTS Surround sound. It's very well implemented and very clear. :)

The game has surround sound? Must be broken in the PC version or not implemented :/

nitric0

I'm only getting 30-40 fps on my setup. Got a Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0GHz, 8GB RAM and a 6870. :( Got the preview drivers run and 8192 in that tweak file and 2xAA.

Hawk269

Smokey said:

SLI does not work for this game anyway, so no need to disable the SLI in you configuration. RIght now I am running at about 60% usage on my one GPU it is using, 60fps, 16xaa (in game settings), AFx16, VSync, Tripple Buffering via Control Panel and running buttery smooth. Still need to apply Angular little trick to see what that does.

Since we are running almost identical rigs Smokey, what size did you put using angular's cfg file?

Smokey

Hawk269 said:
SLI does not work for this game anyway, so no need to disable the SLI in you configuration. RIght now I am running at about 60% usage on my one GPU it is using, 60fps, 16xaa (in game settings), AFx16, VSync, Tripple Buffering via Control Panel and running buttery smooth. Still need to apply Angular little trick to see what that does.

Since we are running almost identical rigs Smokey, what size did you put using angular's cfg file?

I meant that SLI doesn't work in the game right now. Not that I disabled it or anything. And I'm using the original 16000+ value Angular used in his post.

Pimpbaa said:
The game has surround sound? Must be broken in the PC version or not implemented :/

Works for me on PC, 5.1.

Mutagenic said:
So nobody having any graphical glitches with dialogue-based NPCs or have a solution? Hmmm.

It's happening to me as well, didn't start doing it until i got to Wellspring, some glitch around outside conversation as well like they're rapidly switching animation position. Can't find anything to fix it and it only happens in Wellspring. Probably have to be patched.

Hawk269

Smokey said:
I meant that SLI doesn't work in the game right now. Not that I disabled it or anything. And I'm using the original 16000+ value Angular used in his post.

Smokey, when I make this file, I just type that stuff in notepad, save it as "ansi" code with that file name right? Just want to make sure.

forrest

formerly nacire
Can someone please explain to me why someone would think a First Person Shooter would be bad running at 60fps?

Hawk269

bloodforge said:
Works for me on PC, 5.1.

Same...it is actually really good in 5.1, although the very intro part when you are coming out of ship or whatever it is they have the sound levels way to high...my rear speakers were blasting during that part...but in-game is is pretty good 5.1 mix.

Top Bottom