• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege | Review Thread

Not really. Hip firing with the shotgun is arguably better than ADS, especially with the laser sight.

Hip firing with a shotgun is a different beast than hip firing with the rifles. SMGs seem okay close enough--really, any gun is fine close up--but it seems useless beyond a few yards.

It's particularly important, because stray shots can actually kill teammates. Love that FF is enabled.

mollipen

Can anyone else confirm this? If yes, I might disregard these early reviews till I get a better understanding of how it works with the actual game.

Yes, that was the case. It's why we (EGM), along with a number of other outlets, are holding off on doing reviews—because we want to play the game from the beginning and see how the unlock progression systems will actual work for regular players.

Happy with the reviews so far. Said it in another thread, this is like a mix of Counter Strike and SOCOM, its great. Its so refreshing to play a slower paced shooter, there's so much more tension.

Also, have a good headset for this game. Hearing the attackers breach and walk on the floors above you gets your heart racing.

Gaz_RB

Yes, that was the case. It's why we (EGM), along with a number of other outlets, are holding off on doing reviews—because we want to play the game from the beginning and see how the unlock progression systems will actual work for regular players.

Good on you. Reviewing it just based on that review event would be sort of silly.

Haines

Banned
Man idk.the beta was not fun in the slightest.

So much downtime between firefights. Is putting armor up on windows over and over really that fun?

The matches felt so boring until a 5 second firefights and than do it all over again.

And yet I still can't shake how excited I was when the game was revealed or just how different it is from other shooters.

My preorder will be here soon. I still think it's going back unless these reviews can change my mind.

Gaz_RB

So much downtime between firefights. Is putting armor up on windows over and over really that fun?

The matches felt so boring until a 5 second firefights and than do it all over again.

And yet I still can't shake how excited I was when the game was revealed or just how different it is from other shooters.

My preorder will be here soon. I still think it's going back unless these reviews can change my mind.

It's not so much just putting armor on windows, its where you're placing it, who's placing it, who's covering what entrance, etc.
Playing with a team ups the ante immensely. Using that downtime to plot and plan instead of checking your phone while waiting for the next round to start (what I do when I play solo) is crucial to enjoying the game.

These complaints about the lack of a singleplayer mode are not good for the gaming industry.

Resources spent on singleplayer campaigns mean less content for the multiplayer. It is perfectly fine for a game to be released without any singleplayer content (Starsiege: Tribes 1998).

Multiplayer only games can be great games as well and the fact that there is no singleplayer content should not be held against these games.

The problem is it lacks sp and mp content. 11 maps for a mp only game is ridiculous. Plus boosters that let you level faster seems p2w since they unlock operators.

Clydebink

Neo Member
Some people have time, some people have money. It doesn't effectively matter that the unlock-speed can be increased with funds because they aren't unlocking anything that is more powerful than what anyone can unlock by watching the tutorials. The unlocks are lateral.
The players you need to worry about are the ones who don't have jobs.

Some people have time, some people have money. It doesn't effectively matter that the unlock-speed can be increased with funds because they aren't unlocking anything that is more powerful than what anyone can unlock by watching the tutorials. The unlocks are lateral.
The players you need to worry about are the ones who don't have jobs.

This x100. Me unlocking all the characters via real money over the course of week one-two doesn't really give me some crazy advantage... i'm fully ok with this depending on what they're charging to unlock operators.

Anyone know what it costs per person or to unlock all 20 in total with the 500-1000-1500-2000 method?

From the couple of hours I played the game, it definitely felt above average.

I liked it better than SW:BF, simply because the operator and levels encourage playing the game in different ways each round. At first I really didn't like that operators "exist" as a single character, but now I really appreciate it, as it forces you to learn other play styles via the less popular operators.

Good for you! I didn't get to do much of the operator stuff so maybe that makes it more enjoyable.

Or those reviewers liked it. As you can see from the threads on it, plenty of people love it. Opinions, etc.

Oh yeah absolutely, I was reacting to the fact that every review on there was between 7-9. Scoring a game less than 7 does not mean one "dislikes" a game. At least not for me as I try to use the full scale where there is an actual difference between for example 2 and 5. A practice I rarely see in the enthusiast press.

The stuff I actually follow nowadays, for example SuperBunnyhop, don't even do scores.

Ugh. I wish you hadn't told me that. I slept soundly for the first time last night in weeks having finally settled on which free game I would pick. I was under the impression that it was another step down from Unity. The last one I played was AC II. Which I've been told, short of missing the stellar sailing mechanics, was a high note to the series.

I played Unity recently after getting it as a gift and enjoyed it, never worth paying $60 for but if you can get it for under $20 it's worth it.

Ont

compare the content of black ops 3 to this. I could understandif the game was not full price.

I don't know the numbers, but Black Ops 3 probably had a much larger budget because it is bigger franchise than Rainbow Six.

Also Black Ops 3 developers benefitted from the legacy engine and the systems. All three CoD developers have the benefit of using the old engine (which started from Q3 engine) and other systems which they probably share between the firms working on the franchise. In comparison Rainbow Six is a brand new game and they probably had to spent some time figuring out the technology surrounding destroyable environments and other new systems which I haven't seen in other FPS games yet.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
God I really hope we are not arbitrarily comparing map counts to other shooters as if that is any kind of fair metric. In Siege you can blow holes through nearly all walls, ceilings, and floors. These objects are modelled to the point of actual studs under the drywall / etc.

Static maps vs destruction... come on.

People complaining it's mp only despite a rising vocal sentiment to stop tacking on shitty sp campaigns no one plays.

Complaints about DLC when they are giving ALL maps, weapons, and operators for free to everyone.

This complaining rings so hollow. It's like they followed a forum blueprint on how to make the community happy and people are still unhappy.

I dont really like unlock systems, but they are the trend. At least this one isn't obnoxious. I had pretty much everything unlocked by the end of the beta. I'd rather have it available from the outset, but at least this isn't BF4 level bullshit.

I just don't see what they did so wrong here to deserve backlash when it seems like most of their choices were to foster a healthy community, by not splitting the player base with pay-maps or any pay-2-win weapons.

God I really hope we are not arbitrarily comparing map counts to other shooters as if that is any kind of fair metric. In Siege you can blow holes through nearly all walls, ceilings, and floors. These objects are modelled to the point of actual studs under the drywall / etc.

People complaining it's mp only despite a rising vocal sentiment to stop tacking on shitty sp campaigns no one plays.

Complaints about DLC when they are giving ALL maps, weapons, and operators for free to everyone.

This complaining rings so hollow. It's like they followed a forum blueprint on how to make the community happy and people are still unhappy.

I dont really like unlock systems, but they are the trend. At least this one isn't obnoxious. I had pretty much everything unlocked by the end of the beta. I'd rather have it available from the outset, but at least this isn't BF4 level bullshit.

I just don't see what they did so wrong here to deserve backlash when it seems like most of their choices were to foster a healthy community, by not splitting the player base with pay-maps or any pay-2-win weapons.

This is my first post. Just to say God Bless You.

SZips

The problem is it lacks sp and mp content. 11 maps for a mp only game is ridiculous. Plus boosters that let you level faster seems p2w since they unlock operators.

You also have to keep in mind that they're going to add a "decent" chunk of content for free throughout 2016. Something like four new maps and eight new operators or somesuch.

Battlefield 3 shipped with 9 maps I believe. Battlefield 4 was 10. Black Ops 3 has 12. Battlefront has 12. So it's kind of sitting right in line with the other multiplayer focused games out there. I'm not excusing any perceived lack of content though, but this is kind of the "normal" now. At least they're not locking all new maps behind a Season Pass like most of the maps released in the above examples.

Thank you, summed up how I feel about it perfectly. Would also like to point out I noticed a lot of people shitting on the season pass in the other threads, when its basically the most optional/community friendly season pass in a long time. I don't get it, do people like the seasons passes that split up the community or make them feel like they are not getting the full experience with the base game? Because this one does not do that at all, which is great.

As a card-carrying member of the Not Enough Content Force™ I have not been bothered by the amount of content presented with Siege, simply because the gameplay seems dynamic/rich enough for me. Really considering a preorder.

nynt9

Seems like the open beta helped foster some good will for this game, but maybe not enough. We'll see I guess. I hope this game doesn't end up having a dead online community like Evolve.

manhack

I'm a huge rainbow six fan. Played a ton of rogue spear and rainbow six 3. That being said I am not buying this game right out of the gate. There are too many questions about how well the game will perform due to all the server issues during all phases of the beta test.

The game ran like a dream and looks amazing. The feel of the gunplay was ok, but a little 'off'.

I will certainly give it a month or 3 to see how it does before picking it up.

UrbanRats

I always loved and enjoyed R6 as single or cooperative games myself.

I'm not saying they didn't make what people wanted, but speaking for myself, i think i'm free to say this is not the direction i wanted to see the series go in.
Much like i don't like the direction Tomb Raider has gone in personally, but if others enjoy it, more power to them.

I'll say though, it's not even the specifics i don't like, more the general idea behind it.

But it's unrealistic to expect Ubisoft to pour money into a simulative tactical shooter that would probably only please the hardcore, PC crowd.

Diancecht

Hmmm, Im going to guess a 76 on Metacritic.

I enjoyed the beta for what its worth.

hiXalp5.png

GQA72Ty.gif

Gaz_RB

So basically this game isn't for me since I don't have a dedicated group of online gamer friends?

I don't know, probably, Unless you want to find a group on GAF or in game. Siege is 100% better with at least one or two others. So unless you're social enough to find a group to play with, I'd say give it a pass. Not worth playing solo.

Clydebink

Neo Member
So basically this game isn't for me since I don't have a dedicated group of online gamer friends?

I'm in the same situation and I'm looking forward to playing it for an unreasonable amount of time. I'm going be playing PvP and can't speak for PvE, but I felt that just having an awareness of your team (doing things like telling them where I plan to breach, following the guy with the shield, and generally sticking with the group) gave us enough of an advantage to be competitive even though we didn't know each other or communicate a lot. I'm sure we would have been crushed by friends who have developed team-tactics though. I'm hoping that players with my level of skill (low) play in ranked so that we can end up playing with others of the same skill. I'm ranked in the 270's in Rocket League and I love playing ranked not to climb the ladder, but just so I don't end up playing against those ranked far beyond my capability. I don't know if the ranking-system in Siege will work as well (considering that the population will likely be lower) but we will see.
No doubt that playing with friends would be much, much, more fun though.

commedieu

Banned

I sorta figured it wasn't the game I was initially excited for, once I heard planning wasn't going to be an intergral part -- as it was in the legacy titles. I was hoping it was coming back to that territory.

Sounds like the CoD Zombie's mod. But less rewarding.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Harder solo. My last pvp game of the beta and we got worked over by a competent, coordinated team. They were moving through the map, shooting out all the cameras, hitting us different ways every time, like a well-oiled machine.

That was awesome and frustrating at the same time. More times than not, a team like that is gonna roll over randoms. But once and a while you fall into a group of strangers who know what's up. Longer the game is out, more of those people will be around. When you stumble into teamwork, send friend requests.

Have so many questions about the reason of this post...ಠ_ಠ

76 mc, Nice! I was scared the game would suck, will buy after the old hunters dlc.
I'll probably buy it tomorrow but we'll have to wait for real reviews. Not just the review event reviews.
But yeah, good score for gameplay. The deduction is for content i think.

SomTervo

Sounds like tense and tactical isn't your bag.

I love the 'putting up doorblocks' part because you really feel the pressure - they might be here in less than a minute. This is your only chance and you have to get it right.

I'll be picking this up tomorrow in the afternoon. If you are down to play add me on PSN. James_b0ndjr.

Been finding people with mics and slowly building up friends for this game.

LETS DO THIS!

Had a game with me and a friend where our teammates quit and were 2 on 4 the entire time. Lets just say we won in overtime. BEST FEELING EVER.

I sorta figured it wasn't the game I was initially excited for, once I heard planning wasn't going to be an intergral part -- as it was in the legacy titles. I was hoping it was coming back to that territory.

Sounds like the CoD Zombie's mod. But less rewarding.

Eeeeh, that set of impressions is very one-sided. Complaining about dying and waiting for the next round just sounds like match-based elimination game modes aren't his thing. Don't die and you'll have more fun, like most games.

Does anyone know what time this unlocks?

I posted this in the OT...

01/12/2015

UTC - 05:00AM

AEDT - 16:00PM (Sydney, Melbourne)

EMEA, Middle-East and Africa

UTC - 05:00AM - (London, Dublin, Lisbon)
CET - 06:00AM - (Madrid, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin)
EET, CAT - 07:00AM - (Bucharest, Istanbul, Cairo)
MSK, AST, EAT - 08:00AM - (Moscow, Kuwait City, Riyadh)
GST - 09:00AM - (Dubai, Abu Dhabi)

North, Central and South America

PST - 21:00PM (30/11/2015)
CST - 23:00PM (30/11/2015
EST - 00:00AM
AMT - 01:00AM
BRT - 02:00AM
BRST - 03:00AM

manhack

Just to add I'm a little concerned we are seeing so many reviews for a multiplayer only online game before it is even out to the general public.

I don't think we will know the true story of how good this game is until it has been in the wild and updated over the next few months.

Just to add I'm a little concerned we are seeing so many reviews for a multiplayer only online game before it is even out to the general public.

I don't think we will know the true story of how good this game is until it has been in the wild and updated over the next few months.

Well, this is really true of ANY multiplayer title--not even just multiplayer-only games. A lot more outlets actually do have "rolling reviews" now, which is great.

So this is actually good? like legit good? The matchmaking system was awful in betas

I think it's pretty great, but even in this last beta, we had issues connecting and matchmaking. 2/3 games connected, maybe.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the past Rainbow Six campaign's, playing solo or in Co-op, sad to see this doesn't have a proper Campaign.

prudislav

RIP Rainbow Six Patriots , RIP Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.
Welcome CS:Rainbow Six :-(
now i am just sad , especially when this have such high scores , which means death to original Tom Clancy R6 series :-(

Top Bottom