• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Fanservice in games is fine, whether that's buxom women, chainmail bikinis or other scantily clad outfits and so on.

It all depends on the tone and context of the game in question, if it's a realistic, grounded game and fanservice would stick out like a sore thumb, it's a problem, if it's a fantasy game, an anime styled game or just something in general larger than life (like say a fighting game) to where fanservice doesn't clash with the tone and context, it's fine.

People shouldn't be shamed for liking what they like and developers should be free to make whatever kind of game they want with whatever kind of content they want, if it's not someone's cup of tea they should just move on and play something else.

Shield is up!

KoTOR on PC is not a good game regarding playability and its Visuals aged very very poorly. The reminiscence of the controls and their clunkyness made playing other Bioware games, in this case the first Mass Effect, a horrible experience sprinkled with flashbacks to its ugly and unfun predecessor.

Mods could help, I heard, but way to late.

Here'

This is a good one, because the original Knights of the Old Republic is fun, smart, and innovative. The sequel, at best, is unfinished and incomprehensible.

And fans of the sequel want you to believe the game is better because fans spent years fixing it to the point where it's now playable and comprehensible.

even in a finished state its no match. they pretty much copy pasted the story and if you played through the game as a light sider you missed the jedi boss battles. also the Revan reveal from KoTOR 1 was EPIC, i have never seen a bigger keyser söze moment in games.

Y2H

Jak 3 > Jak II: Renegade > Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

Jak and Daxter > Ratchet & Clank

Also Jak II: Renegade isn't as difficult as many people like to complain about. These people are just awful at video games.

Shield is up!

KoTOR on PC is not a good game regarding playability and its Visuals aged very very poorly. The reminiscence of the controls and their clunkyness made playing other Bioware games, in this case the first Mass Effect, a horrible experience sprinkled with flashbacks to its ugly and unfun predecessor.

most 15year old games dont hold up today, thats an unfair statement to make regarding an amazing game. sorry you missed the boat.

most 15year old games dont hold up today, thats an unfair statement to make regarding an amazing game. sorry you missed the boat.
A lot of 15 Year old games DO hold up today. And yes I missed the initial play on release (No XBOX and not really a PC gamer 15 years ago), but the year 2003 also had games you can just play today, without a fuss.
The aged visuals I can agree are not as valid a point, but I stand my ground on these shitty controls.

Rodolink

I'll be lynched but...

1. I hate weapon degradation in Breath of the WIld. also I hated there were no "traditional" "unique" dungeons like before. That's why to me BoTW is not the best entry in the series.

2. Horizon Zero Dawn is a dull, boring and stressfull game. (though it has amazing technology under the hood)

And the last one, (I know many will want to kill me)

3. I don't like the pedantry and egocentric approach of Hideo Kojima, I hate he has to put his name on everything at every moment. We all know he's very talented, we all know he's got great ideas and we all know we are playing his games, there's no need to be reminded of it every second.

There

I didn't know about this thread.
I need to take it out, I need to say it in this safe haven where we're allowed to stray from the common opinion...

I hate Shadow of the Colossus.
Like, really really hate it.
I played it on PS3 and it was one of the most frustrating experiences I had with ANY game.
It was pretty, it was intense, it's artistical and deep, I won't take this away. But the time I spent fighting Colossi was frustrating, degradating, infuriating and lots of other terrible -ing.
KEEP THE GRIP! KEEP THE GRIP! CAMERA, WHERE ARE YOU POINTING! WHAT IS HAPPENING???
Fuck, I have to climb everything again.

Now it's out on PS4 and the praise is still there.
I suffered a lot through Shadow of the Colossus, I don't want to experience everything again.
For what is worth, I found Ico to be pretty boring as well.

(to give a little bit of context, I love artsy games and I also finished all Souls games, still didn't find as much frustration in those.)

Shield is up!

I tried replaying KOTOR in 2015 and I agree, it's aged like milk.

The voice acting and the writing is still top notch, but everything about it as an actual game is no longer very good, for starters, the graphics themselves aside, I hated how every environment was the same handful of assets copy pasted indefinitely, it's just so dull compared to what similar games are like these days.

A lot of games from the early 00s have aged really well, but KOTOR is not one of them.

I see potential in a remake though that keeps the same story and characters but enhances the gameplay.

Jak 3 > Jak II: Renegade > Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

Jak and Daxter > Ratchet & Clank

Also Jak II: Renegade isn't as difficult as many people like to complain about. These people are just awful at video games.

I agree about Jak and Daxter being better than Ratchet & Clank, however I disagree about the sequels being better than The Precursor Legacy, I like the Jak sequels just fine, especially 3, but The Precursor Legacy is one my favorite 3D platformers.

I do agree that the difficulty of Jak 2 is way overblown though.

The only Ratchet & Clank I really liked was the first, the sequels felt like comparative rush jobs (however keep in mind I never played any of the PS3 entries)

Y2H

I agree about Jak and Daxter being better than Ratchet & Clank, however I disagree about the sequels being better than The Precursor Legacy, I like the Jak sequels just fine, especially 3, but The Precursor Legacy is one my favorite 3D platformers.

I do agree that the difficulty of Jak 2 is way overblown though.

The only Ratchet & Clank I really liked was the first, the sequels felt like comparative rush jobs (however keep in mind I never played any of the PS3 entries)

While the Precursor Legacy is my least favourite of the Jak and Daxter trilogy it's still a masterpiece to me.

The locations, atmosphere, and music have an eternal charm that keep me coming back trying to replicate the sense of wonder and excitement 8-year-old me felt the first time I played the game. Even for a PS2 game it still looks great after all these years.

The Precursor Legacy is the game of the trilogy I would definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't played any of the games before. Of the three it feels the most like an adventure. The game's instruction manual which doubled as map was also a nice touch that added to the adventure aspect...and now I miss instruction manuals.

KevinKeene

Banned
Fanservice in games is fine, whether that's buxom women, chainmail bikinis or other scantily clad outfits and so on.

It all depends on the tone and context of the game in question, if it's a realistic, grounded game and fanservice would stick out like a sore thumb, it's a problem, if it's a fantasy game, an anime styled game or just something in general larger than life (like say a fighting game) to where fanservice doesn't clash with the tone and context, it's fine.

People shouldn't be shamed for liking what they like and developers should be free to make whatever kind of game they want with whatever kind of content they want, if it's not someone's cup of tea they should just move on and play something else.

This shouldn't be a controversial opinion, but I guess nowadays it is :/

Let's see, what controversial can I contribute ... ah: Super Mario Odyssey is free of any bad quirks and infinitely better than 3d world ... but it is a totally forgettable gameplay experience. The way you're bombarded with 'rewards' every 5 steps inflated the perceived value of any rewards, no matter if they took a lot of effort to achieve or not.
It feels like a game crafted for the youtube/letsplay-audience that demands insta-gratification instead of being willing to work towards a goal. Acquiring stars in 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1/2 felt much more meaningful and therefore satisfying.

Codes 208

I consider the GBC it's own generation from the OG Gameboy mainly because unlike the pocket, GBA SP or DI/n3DS the GBC got a decent sized library of exclusives like Pokémon Crystal, Zelda OoS/OoA, Wario Land 3, Harry Potter 2, SMB:DX

it and the GBA stand as my favorite handhelds.

Freeman720

Neo Member
Here goes:

-The new Wolfenstein games are kinda trash. Would much rather play Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein 2009

-On a similar note, Doom 1 and 2 are much better than Doom 4. Doom 4 is still good though.

-Disney should have given the Star Wars license to Activision, so Raven could make a new Jedi Knight game :p

-Hitman Absolution is a great game and just because it isn't as good as Blood Money, that doesn't make it trash

-Half-Life 1 is way better than Half-Life 2. Fewer cutscenes and the ones that are there are half as long

-All MMORPGs are bad

-Mario Sunshine is better than 64 and A Hat in Time is better than Mario Odyssey

-MGSV is the best MGS game. The lack of story is actually a boon because Metal Gear's story was never good to begin with

-MVCI actually looks really good. A couple of models are iffy, I'll admit, but the overall look of the game won me over completely.

-Sonic Generations is actually complete garbage. When I roll down a hill, I lose speed? Excuse me?

-Portal 2 is better than Portal

-Witcher 3 unmodded is a worse game than Skyrim unmodded, but Witcher 3 modded is much better than Skyrim modded( except for *those* mods ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) )

Rellik

-The new Wolfenstein games are kinda trash.

I have to agree, but for different reasons. No game has given me motion sickness like those new Wolfenstein games do. They are literally unplayable for me and they did nothing about it. The sequels have the exact same problem on console and if you Google it then you'll see it's not that rare for this to be a problem with them games.

-Hitman Absolution is a great game and just because it isn't as good as Blood Money, that doesn't make it trash

I've replayed Hitman Absolution like 3 times and enjoyed it much more than the recent Hitman. I'd honestly rather have Absolution 2 than a season 2 of the new Hitman.

gv53454c8b.gif

Last edited:

grumpyGamer

Here it goes,

1 Skyrim is total shit, Can´t understand why people like that trash so much.

2, All MMOS are cash grabs and give a fuck about the player

3, MGSV is garbage, very litlle content and alot of kiss ass from fans,

4, MGS 4 is a GOD given game

5, (almost) All EA games are trash in my opinion

6, Witcher 3 is perfect if not for the fuking fetch items on map

ExpandKong

Banned
3. MGSV is garbage, very litlle content and alot of kiss ass from fans.

4. MGS 4 is a GOD given game

THANK you. I have no idea why MGSV gets as much praise as it does, the gameplay isn’t even that good. Quite possibly the most boring open world of the last ten years. There is nothing of what made MGS good in this game.

I admittedly did not like 4 much but I’d play it front to back ten times before I’d touch MGSV again.

Ballthyrm

People should pay a lot more for video games.(I blame IOS and android)
If the trend continue the market is going to crash and we are all going to lose.

Steam is bad for consumers but people love it anyways.

As an adult, portability is overrated. I never have time to game anywhere but my house. At that point, why would I use a tiny ass screen with bad controls and no comfort?

gioGAF

Here it goes,

1 Skyrim is total shit, Can´t understand why people like that trash so much.

2, All MMOS are cash grabs and give a fuck about the player

3, MGSV is garbage, very litlle content and alot of kiss ass from fans,

4, MGS 4 is a GOD given game

5, (almost) All EA games are trash in my opinion

6, Witcher 3 is perfect if not for the fuking fetch items on map
Pretty much, also BotW is merely "okay". ducks...

While the Precursor Legacy is my least favourite of the Jak and Daxter trilogy it's still a masterpiece to me.

The locations, atmosphere, and music have an eternal charm that keep me coming back trying to replicate the sense of wonder and excitement 8-year-old me felt the first time I played the game. Even for a PS2 game it still looks great after all these years.

The Precursor Legacy is the game of the trilogy I would definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't played any of the games before. Of the three it feels the most like an adventure. The game's instruction manual which doubled as map was also a nice touch that added to the adventure aspect...and now I miss instruction manuals.

Interesting, I've never actually seen the manual for The Precursor Legacy, as I originally only rented the game and later bought the HD collection.

Agreed about the graphics, when I played the HD collection the part where you're riding the flying thing through the volcanic canyon made my jaw drop, the game looks STELLAR for a game of it's age.

This shouldn't be a controversial opinion, but I guess nowadays it is :/

It really shouldn't be but unfortunately it is, the most recent example is the girl from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, people raised a fuss about it, like have these people seen any form of Japanese media.... ever? A lot of it was over her outfit but also some of it seemed to simply be over the fact that she has big breasts, because we all know in real life women never have big breasts.

Ang again, Japan, her design is actually pretty tame compared to something like Senran Kagura, it's silly.

I wonder if the upcoming Dragon's Crown re-release will inspire new outrage over the witch character?

Cato

Banned
I like "Duke Nukem Forever".

I think it was just like the original but with modern graphics. That is why I love it.
I think that is also why most people hated it.

Yagami_Sama

I really dislike The Legend Of Zelda : Breath of The Wild. The series is one of my favorites and played all games, except the CDI games, and I really can't understand what people saw on the game. I always thought that Twilight Princess was "week", due to the fact that while I was playing, I was always saying things like "hmm, on Ocarina of Time, we had that too". Breath of the Wild was my biggest deception last year.

Codes 208

That MCC thread gor me thinking. For the older bungie titles, I think Halo Reach is the best halo game and Halo 3 is the worst halo game.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Not all games but quite a few, i prefer 720p/900p to 1080p and 4k. I like that i can see the jaggies, it's like i can see the console number crunching, i guess it stems from Super Scaler Arcade games ie Outrun, Power Drift and Space Harrier etc, i can see the the computer chips working, like a when you see a car engine cut in half on display with moving parts to show you how it works. Weird i know :)

Yoda

Most video game stories are really lacking in originality, are predictable, and just boring as shit.

Examples: Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, Fallout (all of them save New Vegas), Elder Scrolls (all of them).

I've seen so few games do stories right I now have a preference for games without them.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
Most video game stories are really lacking in originality, are predictable, and just boring of shit.

Examples: Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, Fallout (all of them save New Vegas), Elder Scrolls (all of them).

I've seen so few games do stories right I now have a preference for games without them.

I find this true for western games mostly. Japanese games are a lot more daring with their stories, feature more outside-the-box themes. And even when there are repeating elements in many Japanese games, well ... saving the world from aliens that want to harvest humans as livestock, using mechas to fight back, and exploring Nietzsche inmidst of everything is inherently more exciting than fight an evil wizard, or rescuing someone as part of a 'realistic abd mature' character drama.

Last edited:

Rellik

THANK you. I have no idea why MGSV gets as much praise as it does, the gameplay isn’t even that good. Quite possibly the most boring open world of the last ten years. There is nothing of what made MGS good in this game.

I admittedly did not like 4 much but I’d play it front to back ten times before I’d touch MGSV again.

Yep. MGSV was a slap in the face and basically one big desert of absolutely nothing and repeat quests. You even had to repeat that awful intro mission which is 20 minutes of slow walking.

I loved MGS 4.

OH-MyCar

Not all games but quite a few, i prefer 720p/900p to 1080p and 4k. I like that i can see the jaggies, it's like i can see the console number crunching, i guess it stems from Super Scaler Arcade games ie Outrun, Power Drift and Space Harrier etc, i can see the the computer chips working, like a when you see a car engine cut in half on display with moving parts to show you how it works. Weird i know :)

I'm this way as well a lot of the time; most of the time I prefer games the way they look when released rather than up-rezzed (unless it's a full-on remake like SotC). I love jaggies. Maybe it's a case of stockholme syndrome from never having top of the line hardware.

The BC & WotLK areas in WoW are a good example of this for me, even if they're not taxing the PC: going back to them today, it's so much "cleaner" at high resolutions that it loses the sense of scale that I had back when I was running it at 1024x768; it's like the destitute man's depth of field. Bizarrely, it's not entirely nostalgia. Granted, I'd never run below 1080 these days due to the disadvantages but I sincerely think games with simple geometry tend to look a lot better at potato resolutions.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I'm this way as well a lot of the time; most of the time I prefer games the way they look when released rather than up-rezzed (unless it's a full-on remake like SotC). I love jaggies. Maybe it's a case of stockholme syndrome from never having top of the line hardware.

The BC & WotLK areas in WoW are a good example of this for me, even if they're not taxing the PC: going back to them today, it's so much "cleaner" at high resolutions that it loses the sense of scale that I had back when I was running it at 1024x768; it's like the destitute man's depth of field. Bizarrely, it's not entirely nostalgia. Granted, I'd never run below 1080 these days due to the disadvantages but I sincerely think games with simple geometry tend to look a lot better at potato resolutions.

Glad i'm not the only one :) but definitely not stockholme syndrome as i have always bought the latest console on launch day just for the sake of it and when i was a Pc gamer up until around 2004 i always upgraded my card every year/18 months to the top of the range at the time.
I was watching one of the Digital Foundry videos about Shadow of the Colossus , and there's a comparison scene where the player is traveling through the forest and the light shafts are beaming through the trees and i just prefer the look of the Ps2 version as i can see the pixels working away to give you the illusion of light.
Don't get me wrong the Ps4 version looks amazing and iv'e pre ordered it.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
This has always been one of my favorite NeoGAF threads. I really had to think of a few good "controversial" gaming opinions to add to the discussion. Here goes:

1. I loved Wii Music. I thought it was absolute genius, just about the best thing Shigeru Miyamoto ever created. Seriously. This music game was seen as Nintendo's attempt to cash in on Guitar Hero, but it's really all about musical improvisation and the group dynamic. The brilliance lies in your ability to warp, twist and completely break the original "songs" into something of your own creation. To this day, I'm hoping Nintendo will make a sequel, and especially add a lot of jazz music.

2. Most classic videogame systems are perfectly fine with the RF cable, especially if you're playing on a CRT television. Even on a modern digital HDTV, you'll be fine if you plug your Genesis into the coaxial input. If the fuzziness bothers you, either get an old Trinitron or a pint of beer. Either solution works.

3. "Zen Arcade" and "Pop Life" are damn good books. If the kids won't look at them because there are no pictures, well, tough. Their loss. Ahem. Sorry for the shameless plug on this last one.

grumpyGamer

THANK you. I have no idea why MGSV gets as much praise as it does, the game play isn’t even that good. Quite possibly the most boring open world of the last ten years. There is nothing of what made MGS good in this game.

XD i have a friend who just loves the game, can´t stop arguing with him when talking about it,
but yeah don't get the game really disliked it

grumpyGamer

THANK you. I have no idea why MGSV gets as much praise as it does, the game play isn’t even that good. Quite possibly the most boring open world of the last ten years. There is nothing of what made MGS good in this game.

XD i have a friend who just loves the game, can´t stop arguing with him when talking about it,
but yeah don't get the game really disliked it

Top Bottom