• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Xenogears was a horrible and boring game to play with a terrible plot that, on top of that, ended with the main character reading the Cliff's Notes version of the last chapters. There, I said it. I will never understand the hype for that game.

Ubisoft is the best big publisher right now. Their games are consistently good. They've been supporting their games long after release.
I'm loving Far Cry 5 and i'm excited to see what they do next.

And this coming from a former Ubisoft hater. Years ago i swore i'd never ubisoft games ever again.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

I enjoyed Last of Us but it was more movie then game.

I find Uncharted 4 a chore to play. It is a AAA production and looks awesome but I have no investment in it.

I think Switch is a high selling failure. I owned many more games on the Wii U the first year, the Switch? Just three (guess which).
I don't see anything coming down the pike that makes me change my mind.
No 3rd Party? No problem for Nintendo I guess.

I preferred the original Xbox One digital rights plan. I don't care about owning physical media or used game sales, just let me fire up a game I own without sticking a stupid disc in.

Here's mine:

Horizon Zero Dawn is hugely overrated. The open world is boring and the gameplay is a chore. The only thing good about it is the graphics.

The only Naughty Dog game I love is The Last of Us. The Uncharted series is boring to play through

I love Xenogears but it has flaws I can't overlook. The platforming parts are just horrible and take too much time

My least liked Zelda is Skyward Sword, because of the motion control

Fallout 3 was the most boring game I ever played

I think Final Fantasy VII isn't a good game

I hate all the Dragon Age games

Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda

Breath of the Wild bored me to tears

I'm tired of most open world games.

Arkham Asylum is the best game in the Arkham games

Final Fantasy IX is my favorite Final Fantasy

The Worst Nintendo console is N64, followed closing by the Wii U

The Playstation 3 is the worst Playstation console.

Last edited:

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I feel like Insomniac Games has always been better than Naughty Dog. Sure they've made some weird games and stuff, but at least they have made a diverse catalog of games this and the last generation.

ND seems to just stick to a more "safer" route, I guess.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Fuck! I like bloodborne! FUCK! IT WAS FUN!!!!! SHIIIIIIIIT! God damit! Are other souls games as fun or is this the best one? Combat was fast, bosses where tough. And I didn’t have to focus on defense. Just insane attacks. Any other souls game like this?

OH-MyCar

Speedrunning is (mostly) lame and doesn't make you any kind of definitive "authority" on a retro game because you've spent months with tool-assists, wikis and Youtube videos. It's like a weird form of digital colonialism for some people; trying to re-contextualize these old games into the era of social media and cannibalizing them for some warped sense of "e-cred". The internet as a resource changes everything about most of these titles.

It's like building a grenade launcher from someone else's blueprints and claiming you're a better hunter than someone 100 years ago because you burned down the forest. You may know how to kill things more efficiently but I have more respect for someone who got to lesser heights intuitively.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
The Switch is collecting much more dust than my Wii U ever did. I think people oversell the Switch portability to justify their purchase, most people don't take it out in public.

Last edited:

Blood Borne

Bloodborne is the only good game so far this gen. Every other game has just been decent at best or mediocre.

Nintendo has not made a decent console since SNES.

Most western games are horrible, even the 'good' ones.

All Microsoft first party games are either horrible or mediocre.

This is gen is definitely the worst gen since pre-NES.

Online has done more harm than good for gaming.

Modern/young gamers have shitty taste.

The only good Sonic game ever made is Sonic 2.

PlayStation is the best console series ever.

Dualshock is the best controller ever made.

PC gaming is not attractive.

Action games such Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta, Bloodborne, etc is the best game genre.

Shadow of the Colossus is the best game ever made.

Sonic hype cycle and the Nintendo hype cycle are the exact same.

Uncharted was mediocre/just ok until 4

God of War 1-3 is god awful, but 4/GoW looks dope

Smash is overhyped af

Horizon was good.

Need for Speed was never amazing or great

Mario was GOTY in 2017, Zelda should have been maybe 3rd.

Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) wasnt that bad. (Maybe I feel this way because it was the first game i played that had multiple endings and choices)

E3 cringe videos are more cringy than anything that was actually at E3.

RavageX

Metroidvania is a terrible term because Metroid and Castlevania are nothing alike (other than both started out as 2d platformers). It's only in the Metroid series where you find powerups that unlock new routes and progress through the game. Castlevania is just pure hack and slash with some RPG mechanics tossed in.

I refuse to use the term Metroidvania and only refer to games w/ Metroid-like gameplay as "Metroid-like games".

I hate the term completely, and someone just using the term can make me lose interest in whatever game they are talking about.

Android Kuma

Neo Member
A lot of nintendo games are boring/repetitive. Any game with grinding (AKA paying for something with time) is bad. Without the PS4/Switch/Xbox, gaming as we know it today would be severely crippled. The PC as a medium cannot be as proactive as Sony or Microsoft with First Party games and studios. Even if Sony or Microsoft shift to a steam-like existence and take advantage of existing hardware in PC gaming, their ability and depleted revenue streams would not be enough to sponsor the sheer amount of First Party games coming out these days.

Zog

Banned

I have liked Nintendo consoles enough but I have to admit that it's been about controller gimmicks since the N64, except the Gamecube. Nintendo does always find a way to shoot themselves in the foot though, even with the Gamecube.

It's true. I wish I could add something but all I can say is that I agree.

I can't name a good one either.

I thought the 'everything is a shooter' phase was bad but the open world phase is worse.

Again agreed. We lost cheat devices because they can just be updated out and I believe that 'Cheevos' played a part there too. Online gaming seems to ruin gaming for some people who find they can't play anything without their friends being on the other end of a headset. I could go on and on about the way people act online and all that but enough has been said about that elsewhere.

My friends play this so I have to play it/what's the resolution/what's the framerate...these are the modern 'should I buy this game' questions.

Sonic 1 was good too but yeah, the second one was an improvement.

It is really even though I have no use for the PS4 and my use of the PS3 is mostly limited to PS1 and PS2 games. I appreciate the PS1 and PS2 library and I appreciate the backward comparability all the way up to the PS3.

Used for 4 generations.

It's really not, all I want to play on PC is console ports anyway. I do still play the Age of games from time to time but I would rather play a console game on a console.

Last edited:
I feel like the key reason the PS4 is such a runaway success is because Sony lucked out hard.

And by that I mean, both of their competitors fell flat on their faces in the beginning of the generation. Xbox was $100 more with that stupid motion control peripheral no one wanted, and also had that always online/drm/used games shenanigans, betting more on being an "entertainment box" rather than a console. It didnt help that console looked like an oversized 80's vcr, and was less powerful than PS4 even though it was more expensive. And the Wii U.....yeah, its best we dont talk about that.

By the time Xbox and Nintendo got their act together (which took too, too long), it was too little too late. The PS4 snowball effect was too big to even attempt stopping.
I am not declaring if they do or dont derserve the success, I'm just saying PS4 would've topped out more in the 80-85 million range rather than the 120M+ its looking to be now, if Nintendo/Microsoft didnt have false starts.

fhco

Maybe by adding "most" this is technically true, but only because "most games are horrible" might be true due to the sheer amount of garbage out there. The spirit of your post is not true, though. You can't hand wave away the entirety of PC gaming history. X-Com, Master of Orion, Sim City, Baldur's Gate, Torment, System Shock, Deus Ex, Elder Scrolls, Alpha Centauri, Doom, Quake, Civilization, Half-Life, etc etc etc.

I really don't understand why people have such a problem with Retro developing Donkey Kong games. Remember the backlash towards the Tropical Freeze announcement? Remember when people shut up once the game released and they realized how awesome it was? Yet here we are again, people saying they'll be pissed if their next game is a Donkey Kong Country title. And what's funny is that they'll say it's because they have yet to work on their own IP or that they're focusing too much on DKC. And yet they had no problem with Retro developing Metroid games despite it not being a Retro original IP. Not only that, but they've developed FIVE Metroid titles:

Metroid Prime 1-3
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime Pinball

Yet no one complains about their work on Metroid. So five Metroid titles is okay, but two or possibly three DK games is too much? It makes no sense.

Personally, I hope their next game is a Donkey Kong title, whether it be DKC or 3D Donkey Kong. Their first two were phenomenal, and Retro is clearly a talented developer and has done outstanding work on DK games. Also, Metroid is great, but I prefer DK any day. Retro's DK games really satisfy my inner platformer fanboy, and believe me, I freaking love platformers.

And if it's not DK, I'll still be excited for whatever Retro cooks up next. They're a great developer with an unbelievable track record. Whatever their next game is, I am confident it will be very high quality.

MilkyJoe

Bloodborne is the only good game so far this gen. Every other game has just been decent at best or mediocre.

Action games such Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta, Bloodborne, etc is the best game genre.

Shadow of the Colossus is the best game ever made.

I pity you

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Walking simulators and many indie darlings are shit and just terrible video games.

The proof is in the pudding when the same gaming journos that sing their praises at release, admit that they think they were overrated down the line. I’m seeing this more and more often. Must be a case of getting caught up in the manufactured and trendy hype.

C’est la vie.

Daymos

Japanese games are better than Western games. I've gotten so bad that I look up where a game developer is based at before I consider the possible validity of a review score.

Myths

“X region’s games are better than Y’s” when Z person is from Y. The irony. What would make someone from an “inferior” region of games development even have a valid opinion then? Smh.

This implies Z person as a games developer/designer will never release a superior game to X just because they’re from Y. Dumb and ignorant af.

Edit: I mean there are some things in this thread I can see as reasonable, others are wtf. So yeeaaaaaah, better I just exit stage left.

Last edited:
I think Uncharted and Halo are by far the most generic and overrated game series out there.

Everything from characters, gameplay and story I find pretty generic, boring and uninspiring with nothing new and innovative. Halo did some new things to make shooters popular on consoles, but Uncharted did absolutely nothing to push tps genre forward. Naughty Dog just ripped off other games and movies to create visually stunning game but did nothing new or innovative except maybe create stunning looking scripted action scenes imo.

Don't get me wrong, both are fun action games but I don't like the fact that fans put these games on pedestal and compare them with best of the best game series out there. Good fun games but nothing special or amazing about these two games.

Last edited:

Spladam

I really don't understand why people have such a problem with Retro developing Donkey Kong games. Remember the backlash towards the Tropical Freeze announcement? Remember when people shut up once the game released and they realized how awesome it was? Yet here we are again, people saying they'll be pissed if their next game is a Donkey Kong Country title. And what's funny is that they'll say it's because they have yet to work on their own IP or that they're focusing too much on DKC. And yet they had no problem with Retro developing Metroid games despite it not being a Retro original IP. Not only that, but they've developed FIVE Metroid titles:

Metroid Prime 1-3
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime Pinball

Yet no one complains about their work on Metroid. So five Metroid titles is okay, but two or possibly three DK games is too much? It makes no sense.

Personally, I hope their next game is a Donkey Kong title, whether it be DKC or 3D Donkey Kong. Their first two were phenomenal, and Retro is clearly a talented developer and has done outstanding work on DK games. Also, Metroid is great, but I prefer DK any day. Retro's DK games really satisfy my inner platformer fanboy, and believe me, I freaking love platformers.

And if it's not DK, I'll still be excited for whatever Retro cooks up next. They're a great developer with an unbelievable track record. Whatever their next game is, I am confident it will be very high quality.
It's kind of pointless anyway, most of the people who developed the Metroid titles there are long gone. It would not be the same thing by any means, and I think both they and Nintendo know this.

Horizon Zero Dawn was extremely repetitive and not challenging at all once you realize how to use all of the weapons.

Halo is just bullet sponge gameplay with no real challenge. The fact that there are no really bosses is stupid.

The uncharted series is for children.

RavageX

I hate the fact that most JRPGs are based around kids who have amnesia, only they can save the world, and are crazy powerful even though they appear not be in any sort of physical shape.

There's other things, but those are the constant.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To me Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is best game out of the two series. I personally enjoyed both the combat and story more than original Xenoblade and Xenoblade X and like how XC2 fully took advantage anime artsyle with really expressive character facial animation and really well choreographed cutscenes.

Sapiens

MGSV is the best one because it has the best gameplay.

My jimmies were not rustled by Quiet in either direction.

Last edited:
It's kind of pointless anyway, most of the people who developed the Metroid titles there are long gone. It would not be the same thing by any means, and I think both they and Nintendo know this.

I was not aware of that. I did know the lead designer of Metroid Prime is now a big boss at Bluepoint Games or something like that. I just thought it was hypocritical that people had no problem with developing five titles in a franchise they didn't create, but apparently DKC Returns was the only Donkey Kong title they could develope without fanboys whining about it. I love Metroid, but I'll take DK any day. I want more Donkey Kong. If not, then I'd be happy with anything announced by Retro. They have an outstanding track record, and anything they touch turns to gold. They're like the Rareware of the 21st century in terms of quality of game to number of games released ratio.

DS_Joost

Fallout 4 was heavily streamlined and was carted for people who like their RPG's to be part of the 21st century, who don't want their experience bogged down to boring spreadsheets and who like their shooting mechanics to actually feel like shooting mechanics. There were hardly any arbitrarily stupid and outdated mechanics and the voice acting was damn fine too.

Fixed that for ya.

And that's exactly why I love it.

Propably a very controversial opinion on GAF but propably very common in the 'real' world.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Match Day 2 was the best football game until Kick Off came out.
I'd rather play the any Pro Evo Soccer or International Super Star Soccer than any Fifa Soccer game that's been released so far. Pes since the first one captures the events of playing football in real life and has made me smile numerous times when things has gone for me and against me. But Fifa i always know i'm playing a computer game, just so robotic and dull. It's reminds me of someone who started liking football in there adult life but never played as a child and they know all the stats and players but when they come to play they are just not natural, they toe bunt the ball, they're shit.

Fallout 4 was heavily dumbed down and was carted for shooter fans. There was hardly any RPG mechanics or impacts on the choices is made.
That's not really an unpopular opinion, thats agreed upon by many........(I'm one of the only ones who like fallout 4 over the other fallouts :(

Last edited:
Match Day 2 was the best football game until Kick Off came out.
I'd rather play the any Pro Evo Soccer or International Super Star Soccer than any Fifa Soccer game that's been released so far. Pes since the first one captures the events of playing football in real life and has made me smile numerous times when things has gone for me and against me. But Fifa i always know i'm playing a computer game, just so robotic and dull. It's reminds me of someone who started liking football in there adult life but never played as a child and they know all the stats and players but when they come to play they are just not natural, they toe bunt the ball, they're shit.

Let's be real tho, Mario Strikers Charged is the best soccer game. That game is insanely good. Mario Strikers Switch please!

Yeah, I love over the top and arcadey sports games, but I can't stand sports sims with the exception of wrestling games.

Top Bottom