• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

dirthead

Banned
"Limitation breaths creativity" is absolutely true. I feel like some developers so caught up trying to make most technical impressive game they miss big picture and wont bother make actual gameplay fun and engaging. This how I felt when watched recent DF video on Star Citizen.

Not a controversial opinion.

Here's an actual controversial opinion that I actually believe and isn't trolling: the best thing that could happen to franchises like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid would be for Nintendo to go under and for the IPs to be available to companies who'd actually make some fresh cutting edge games instead of what's essentially mobile trash.

I would LOVE for Nintendo to go out of business and for its assets to be divvied out. Sick of them wiping their ass with the Metroid brand.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Return of the Obra Dinn is boring, overrated, pretentious and artsy crap.
I haven’t played it, but have been looking forward to at some point.

Do you have a history with adventure games and/or point n click games or are you new to the genre? Just want to know if it’s the game or the genre you don’t like because I’ve heard nothing but positive things.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not a controversial opinion.

Here's an actual controversial opinion that I actually believe and isn't trolling: the best thing that could happen to franchises like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid would be for Nintendo to go under and for the IPs to be available to companies who'd actually make some fresh cutting edge games instead of what's essentially mobile trash.

I would LOVE for Nintendo to go out of business and for its assets to be divvied out. Sick of them wiping their ass with the Metroid brand.
Having "cutting edge" graphics doesn't make the game good or even creative, when Demon's Souls first released it was very unique take on RPG and unique way online its done, so much so that to this day other developers use that game as inspiration but Demons Souls is no "cutting edge" when it comes its tech. Meanwhile R* putt that all effort to make most impressive open world game with detail animation but controls is clunky and mission design is outdated.

Heck Bloodborne doesn't even compare to God of War when you comes to advance graphics and yet Bloodborne has twice diversity when comes to enemies and bosses. I'm sorry to say but cutting edge graphics doesn't mean shit, most developers use that make graphic more pretty rather than use it for actual game, great games all come to great designers.

Why? Because developers don't try?
Because games number one goal is give us engaging games while books and movies are all about giving us engaging story.

dirthead

Banned
Having "cutting edge" graphics doesn't make the game good or even creative, when Demon's Souls first released it was very unique take on RPG and unique way online its done, so much so that to this day other developers use that game as inspiration but Demons Souls is no "cutting edge" when it comes its tech. Meanwhile R* putt that all effort to make most impressive open world game with detail animation but controls is clunky and mission design is outdated.

Heck Bloodborne doesn't even compare to God of War when you comes to advance graphics and yet Bloodborne has twice diversity when comes to enemies and bosses. I'm sorry to say but cutting edge graphics doesn't mean shit, most developers use that make graphic more pretty rather than use it for actual game, great games all come to great designers.

Because games number one goal is give us engaging games while books and movies are all about giving us engaging story.

I didn't say cutting edge graphics. I said cutting edge games.

The gameplay and mechanics of Nintendo games are just as antiquated as their presentation.

Danjin44

I didn't say cutting edge graphics. I said cutting edge games.

The gameplay and mechanics of Nintendo games are just as antiquated as their presentation.
Out of curiosity, what games came out this gen you consider has "cutting edge" gameplay? the graphics might have changed but for most part we still play same type of games that we used to play in PS2 era.

Last edited:

bilderberg

Out of curiosity, what games came out this gen you consider has "cutting edge" gameplay? the graphics might have changed but for most part we still play same type of games that we uses to play in PS2 era.
I think AC Unity pushed pretty hard to have "next gen gameplay." Much of what that game was doing technically was in service of pushing gameplay. Too bad the consoles weren't powerful enough. Great game on pc though.

Danjin44

I think AC Unity pushed pretty hard to have "next gen gameplay." Much of what that game was doing technically was in service of pushing gameplay. Too bad the consoles weren't powerful enough. Great game on pc though.
What part of the gameplay was next gen exactly? the combat?

bilderberg

What part of the gameplay was next gen exactly? the combat?
crowds, buildings had 1:1 scaling, you could enter and exit most buildings, and the density of the city, combined with more complex animation blending, gave a lot more opportunities for parkour than previous games.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
BOW's basic gameplay loop is basically the same as a N64 game. The combat is incredibly shallow, simplistic, and clunky.

Basically every Nintendo game feels like it could have been made 15 years ago.
You haven’t convinced me with this argument. BotW is like a Nintendo 64 game? You can do better than that.

Danjin44

crowds, buildings had 1:1 scaling, you could enter and exit most buildings, and the density of the city, combined with more complex animation blending, gave a lot more opportunities for parkour than previous games.
I would say GTAIV and GTAV done more impressive stuff with its open world design compare to AC Unity. Also if want to talk about crowds original Dead Rising achieved that in 360.
dead-rising-1-screenshot-001.jpg

bilderberg

I would say GTAIV and GTAV done more impressive stuff with its open world design compare to AC Unity. Also if want to talk about crowds original Dead Rising achieved that in 360.
dead-rising-1-screenshot-001.jpg

you'r comparing apples to oranges. You have small little pockets of dense crowds vs an entire open city. And you can interact with the crowds in Unity a lot more than you can in Dead Rising. All the zombies 20 feet away from the player basically have their a.i. turned off and are just going through scripts.

assassins-creed-unity-201432118312_1.jpg

Danjin44

you'r comparing apples to oranges. You have small little pockets of dense crowds vs an entire open city. And you can interact with the crowds in Unity a lot more than you can in Dead Rising. All the zombies 20 feet away from the player basically have their a.i. turned off and are just going through scripts.

assassins-creed-unity-201432118312_1.jpg
Thats impressive tech but I wouldn't exactly call this "cutting edge gameplay" I mean the amount of detail RDR2 have is very impressive from tech stand point but the actual gameplay is just not that impressive.

bilderberg

Thats impressive tech but I wouldn't exactly call this "cutting edge gameplay" I mean the amount of detail RDR2 have is very impressive from tech stand point but the actual gameplay is just not that impressive.
I'm not just talking about the amount of detail. Paris in AC Unity just hasn't been matched in terms of scale and density. When your game is about parkour it has a profound impact on the gameplay. It couldn't have been done on last gen, and arguably couldn't be done this gen.

Danjin44

I'm not just talking about the amount of detail. Paris in AC Unity just hasn't been matched in terms of scale and density. When your game is about parkour it has a profound impact on the gameplay. It couldn't have been done on last gen, and arguably couldn't be done this gen.
Except the parkour is any where deep or even takes challenge compare to game original Mirror Edge. In AC you just need to hold one button to do all the parkour.

I haven’t played it, but have been looking forward to at some point.

Do you have a history with adventure games and/or point n click games or are you new to the genre? Just want to know if it’s the game or the genre you don’t like because I’ve heard nothing but positive things.

Not that guy obviously. But it's more a detective game than a point n click. Worth playing if you like a challenge, the game does very little spoonfeeding, requiring you to really pay attention to the details.

I can see it being considered "pretentious and artsy", but only really due to the artstyle and achronological storytelling, depends on whether you're to sort to roll your eyes at that sort of thing.

bilderberg

Except the parkour is any where deep or even takes challenge compare to game original Mirror Edge. In AC you just need to hold one button to do all the parkour.

Alright man, I won't be able to convince you. You keep making completely off base comparisons. For one the parkour was completely revamped in Unity so you aren't just "holding one button." And anyway, the mechanical depth to its parkour isn't the argument I was making. It's kind of annoying to argue for "x' number of reasons something represents "next gen" or "cutting edge" gameplay, only for you to counter argue one or two of those points with an apples to orange comparison. I wasn't looking to have a debate about AC Unity in a thread tailored to controversial opinions.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Not that guy obviously. But it's more a detective game than a point n click. Worth playing if you like a challenge, the game does very little spoonfeeding, requiring you to really pay attention to the details.

I can see it being considered "pretentious and artsy", but only really due to the artstyle and achronological storytelling, depends on whether you're to sort to roll your eyes at that sort of thing.
Thanks for the insight.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
If there's gonna be another games industry crash, it'll be the western game publishers fault. (probs)

I need English dubs to play and enjoy Japanese games. Especially story-driven ones like Persona 5. I'm all for Dual-audio as long as I get an English track.

Borderlands 3 is the only good game 2k put out this year.

With the current state of games journalism, I'm glad G4 and techtv are gone.

Love RPGs always have, 40 years old and grew up on them. People told me Persona was an amazing series so I got the last one. I literally had to force myself to play 25 hours, I have to quit it, it was literally the worst rpg I have ever played, no joke and perhaps the worst game I have played over 20 hours ever. Unreal how it gets universal acclaim.

Also, Shadow of the Colossus was also overrated and pretty much garbage. The Horse controls were absolutely horrible. Red Dead 2 also has some horrible controls.

1. Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge is the best in the series. The only thing the previous entries have on it, is nunchucks.:messenger_neutral: Fight me.

2. Control would not have been a runner up for game of the year if it was Xbox exclusive. Quantum Break was soo much better.

3. I won't touch any game that is first person.

4. Bloodborne. slow, boring, alias invested, crap.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Love RPGs always have, 40 years old and grew up on them. People told me Persona was an amazing series so I got the last one. I literally had to force myself to play 25 hours, I have to quit it, it was literally the worst rpg I have ever played, no joke and perhaps the worst game I have played over 20 hours ever. Unreal how it gets universal acclaim.

Also, Shadow of the Colossus was also overrated and pretty much garbage. The Horse controls were absolutely horrible. Red Dead 2 also has some horrible controls.
Persona is 80% VN 20% JRPG. So yeah.

Square and CD would be objectively dumb to make another Tomb Raider instead of a new SP Legacy of Kain game.

Tomb Raider is a dying franchise. Legacy of Kain is ripe for a return.

At me if you want. This is a hill I will die on.

(Nosgoth was a low effort, MP cash grab that was doomed to failure. Bring back the SP goodness of the series. Finish the story.)

Last edited:

Dthomp

The Last Of Us is the most overrated game ever made.

Not that controversial, honestly I didn't care for this game at all by the time I finished it. Everything it did, other games did better. It was a fine slow moving movie game, but it had what? 4 enemy types, and a swearing child? Meh. I'd rather play the Last Guardian, and that game was also beyond terrible.

Blood Borne

Nintendo Switch is meh, however it’s still better than Xbox One, which is one of the worst consoles ever made. As of today, it’s a pointless system.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is arguably the most boring AAA game this gen. Such an extreme bore fest. It manages to edge out Uncharted 4 for the boredom trophy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hate turning on my Xbox One and seeing a gaming celeb. I downvoted and tried to remove it, but it’s so ugly. It’s just some popular streamer’s smug mug looking at me. It makes me feel like I should be spending my Game time watching someone profit off my view. No thanks. I hate that. I don’t feel like it should go away entirely (it can go away from the home page)but it’s so ugly to see when you boot up your console. I think Xbox could be a better experience if they worked at it. I hate this social experiment crap. It’s just one advert, but it’s on my home page. I want see games, not someone’s popularity status in gaming.

I just want to vent. I hate seeing Shroud or whatever on my home page. Xbox didn’t ask me if I even liked streamers. I paid for the console, not some popularity contest of gaming’s millionaire streamer club.

It’s like I want to follow a complete random person. Give me choices if I’m using your platform to play my games. I didn’t buy an Ad-heavy Xbox for less money like one of those Kindles from Amazon.

Microsoft and the like can afford a better home page for console owners who aren’t freaking gamers obsessed with streaming.

/rant end

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
While not good, Xenoblade chronicles 2's English voice acting is still better than the low bar that is common voice acting roles with the same reused voice actors for every game these days. Maybe I'm being too harsh. But I firmly believe there's an analogy of "the character playing the actor" to a large degree. And there's a large emphasis on that now.

Desudzer10

I recently went through a ton of my backlog. And while MGS3: Snake Eater is already praised as a great game, my hot take is i think it's still underrated. So many little details with the environment, enemies, dialogue, and the gameplay. You can replay this game dozens of times and still find new things.

Also Kinetica should be in discussion of best Ps2 racing games.

Scotty W

I love Super Mario 64, but the Galaxy games are in a completely different league. In terms of creativity, no other game in this world has even come close. Galaxy 1 and 2 are the greatest games ever made.

bilderberg

Chromatic Aberration looks good. A game's artists generally know how to make the game look better than some guy, unironically, believing every meme he sees about color grading, lens flares, chromatic aberration, motion blur, etc.

Top Bottom