• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ramblings of a bored man without power.

MarkMe2525

So my wife and I are covid positive and stuck in quarantine along with our 6 year old daughter. We live in south Mississippi and got hit with by hurricane Zeta last night. Power is out for most of the southern part of the state and we don't expect it to be restored for a couple of days. I am admittedly super bored and don't have much juice left on my phone and laptop. On the positive side of things, it feels like a camping trip of some sorts. We ate cold baked beans this morning for breakfast. We have the board games out. May bust out the old acoustic and aggravate the shit out of my family with my singing. We turned the corner with the virus and both of us are feeling a lot better as well. If anyone else reading this was effected by the storm, I hope you are well.

One of my fondest memories is when we had a severe ice storm many years ago. My ex-wife was pregnant with our child and about ready to give birth. We were staying with my in-laws while our house was being built. We had no power for an entire week due to how bad the storm was. (Frozen branches snapped power lines all over the place.)

But in the absence of electricity, there was that flavor of human connection that is always lessened by our technology and its influence. We sat around and talked, built fires, lit candles, slept with many blankets (lol), joked around and made our own fun. There was a real slowing down of time that is something I always feel as missing in an oppressive manner.

Aesius

One of my fondest memories is when we had a severe ice storm many years ago. My ex-wife was pregnant with our child and about ready to give birth. We were staying with my in-laws while our house was being built. We had no power for an entire week due to how bad the storm was. (Frozen branches snapped power lines all over the place.)

But in the absence of electricity, there was that flavor of human connection that is always lessened by our technology and its influence. We sat around and talked, built fires, lit candles, slept with many blankets (lol), joked around and made our own fun. There was a real slowing down of time that is something I always feel as missing in an oppressive manner.

This is something I think about a lot. Living to old age back in the pre-tech or even pre-industrial revolution era must have felt like double the length of a modern lifespan. Virtually no distractions back then. Time crawled. Especially if you were illiterate, as most people were.

makaveli60

whoops... looks like we broke GAFs resident auto posting bot

seriously, dude, wth is up with you. i point it out every time you post something absolutely coo coo bananas and you never respond.... to anyone for that matter! lol

are you a human or not!?!?! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yeah, I also wonder about this all the time. Though maybe it's just something else and we shouldn't laugh at him. I don't know...

DESTROYA

whoops... looks like we broke GAFs resident auto posting bot

seriously, dude, wth is up with you. i point it out every time you post something absolutely coo coo bananas and you never respond.... to anyone for that matter! lol

are you a human or not!?!?! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I’ve even tried sending the bot a PM just to explain i’m just messing around calling him a bot but he never answered . 🤷‍♂️
Either that or the bot has us all on ignore. It’s against human nature and a little weird to post somewhere and not interact with the rest of community besides random generated words.

makaveli60

Y
I’ve even tried sending the bot a PM just to explain i’m just messing around calling him a bot but he never answered . 🤷‍♂️
Either that or the bot has us all on ignore. It’s against human nature and a little weird to post somewhere and not interact with the rest of community besides random generated words.
I asked too, though only in a post but no reaction.

Kev Kev

Yeah, I also wonder about this all the time. Though maybe it's just something else and we shouldn't laugh at him. I don't know...
yeah maybe, but if he has the capacity to be a member, and post here and form words and sentences, then he can respond. he just doesnt want to participate. ive seen him make a topic where he specifically said he WILL NOT respond to any replies. and sho nuff' he didnt say jack shit.

naw man fuck that, if hes going to be like that then fuck it, im not scared to be the guy that pokes him with a stick till we get some kind of response :messenger_tears_of_joy: . a simple yes or no would suffice. and im not being all that mean tbh so...

meanwhile OP's topi has been super hi-jacked and hes bored at home all like:
74e92a6f41ebcac61b0ec795c5842716.gif

sorry op lol

Last edited:
yeah maybe, but if he has the capacity to be a member, and post here and form words and sentences, then he can respond. he just doesnt want to participate. ive seen him make a topic where he specifically said he WILL NOT respond to any replies. and sho nuff' he didnt say jack shit.

Maybe he's just super sensitive to conflict and/or its possibility. That could explain the one-way communication at a safe distance. Everyone is unique. (If that's it, I can promise no judgment coming from me. Can't speak for everyone else. :p)

I honestly had never noticed. But then again, you're all a bunch of little squares to me. :p (And until recently I hadn't been frequenting gaf as much as I used to.)

Tesseract

Banned

naw man fuck that, if hes going to be like that then fuck it, im not scared to be the guy that pokes him with a stick till we get some kind of response :messenger_tears_of_joy: . a simple yes or no would suffice. and im not being all that mean tbh so...

meanwhile OP's topi has been super hi-jacked and hes bored at home all like:
74e92a6f41ebcac61b0ec795c5842716.gif

sorry op lol
beast does what beast wants

Make it really feel like camping and start a fire, assuming you have a backyard and don't just start a fire on your living room floor.

Or you can go eco-yuppy and buy one these bad boys to literally charge your phone from fire -

Biolite-Campstove-Review-1.jpg

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
So my wife and I are covid positive and stuck in quarantine along with our 6 year old daughter. We live in south Mississippi and got hit with by hurricane Zeta last night. Power is out for most of the southern part of the state and we don't expect it to be restored for a couple of days. I am admittedly super bored and don't have much juice left on my phone and laptop. On the positive side of things, it feels like a camping trip of some sorts. We ate cold baked beans this morning for breakfast. We have the board games out. May bust out the old acoustic and aggravate the shit out of my family with my singing. We turned the corner with the virus and both of us are feeling a lot better as well. If anyone else reading this was effected by the storm, I hope you are well.

Damn be well, meng.

Top Bottom