• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rambo NES Appreciation/Hate thread

ronito

nesRambo1.png

Rambo-3.gif

Man what a wierd game. It felt a lot like Zelda II without the overworld, because the combat was sorta slow, honestly I thought it played a lot more like an action RPG than an action game, and I don't know who was sitting in the boardroom thinking, "Hmm...we gotta make a game based on Rambo....I know! We'll make it an action RPG!"

It was interesting though, you got to make choices, you could go and not free the prisoners if you wanted, you got to play as Co for a bit. What was it with bosses heads growing to tens times their normal size when you hit them. I honestly thought my cart was broken. And then at the end you could go around and turn everyone into frogs?? Anyone else remember playing this?

One of the hardest NES games ever. I would get so freaking lost and could never find the damn river boat. And when I did I would always hop out because it was moving too slow. You didn't have a gun till later so it was you and your knife vs. nature. Except nature was a giant tiger\panther and moved super fast to react to. If I remember correctly the codes when you saved and wanted to continue the game were horrible. They were incredibly long and contained like every ASCII character available. I would always mess up my zeros with O's and 1's with l's.

Vrolokus

Banned
I do remember Rambo, I owned it. I was also terrible at it... and the Hind, I never was able to destroy it because all they give you are ****ing grenades. The way the bosses' heads got big when you shot them was bizarre.

Rambo is a game I'd like to try again someday, just to see if I'd have a better handle on it.

hyp

hate hate hate. i played this game when i was about 11 or 12 and my reflexes were probably even better back then. even so, this game was like sitting on a bike without the seat and riding over speebumps. forever hate and waste of $39.99.

blahness

Benadryl Hitman said:
One of the hardest NES games ever. I would get so freaking lost and could never find the damn river boat. And when I did I would always hop out. You didn't have a gun till later so it was you and your knife vs. nature. Except nature was a giant tiger\panther and moved super fast to react to. Oh and the codes to continue the game were horrible. They were incredibly long and contained like every ASCII character available. I would always mess up my zeros with O's and 1's with l's.
This is all i remember about the game

Vrolokus

Banned
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but speaking of insanely frustrating games where you play as a soldier, anyone remember this one?:

amagon_1.gif

amagon.png

I never even saw level 2.

Oh god I hated that ****ing game with a passion(Rambo that is). In fact I remember the first level being insanely hard. That was a horrible horrible game. I spit on its grave.

Barry Lightning said:
rambo 3 on genesis, you better wreckonize
heh, word! Man, I loved getting my ass kicked by this game. Could never get past that level with all the bombs that had the Timer or Ratio... this game pwn3d so much. Was it a launch title? I can't remember if we got it with the Genesis alongside Tommy Lasorda Baseball and Ghosts & Goblins. Was there ever a Rambo II for the Master System or for any system??

Cover.jpg
8.gif
rambo3_smd.png
11.gif

Is that Red from Robocop/That 70's Show?!

Kuramu

I enjoyed Rambo, all the while recognizing that it was not a very well made game. My memories include a huge waterfall which was frustrating for some reason i don't recall, and i remember something terrible about the controls, like a long lag between hitting the attack button and actually thrusting your knife

"The one and only" Rambo -game, Rambo: First Blood Part II on Commodore 64:

rambo_first_blood_part_2_01.gif

rambo_first_blood_part_2_04.gif

Did anyone actually get past that russian helicopter without cheating? Good but a very short game. Amazing loading tune. Martin Galway rocks. :)

Vrolokus said:
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but speaking of insanely frustrating games where you play as a soldier, anyone remember this one?:

amagon_1.gif

amagon.png

Holy sh1t!!!!! I didn't remeber that game....

This is my favorite Rambo game:

Rambo1.gif

Rambo3.gif

Rambo4.gif

It's for the MSX... I had such great times with it as a kid.

I also played Rambo 3 on Genesis.

I beat the NES version in a single day without any kind of hints or anything. I remember this because a friend of mine and I rented it and he said there was no way I was going to finish it. Next day I saw him and smugly told him that I had finished it. I was surprised too because the game was a difficult mess. No Friday the 13th, but a mess all the same.

The master system Rambo was pretty cool especially the beach landing stage with the crazy Space Harrier style heads that are trying to kill you off. The light gun Rambo III for the Master System was also pretty good.

lordmrw

Vrolokus said:

amagon_1.gif

amagon.png

I have a confession to make. I........actually beat that stupid game back in the day. My neighbor had more games than me, so occasionally I would use one when bored. I made the mistake of giving him my password for Tartarus in Battle of Olympus so I couldn't use that and wound up with this. Seeing as how I'd finished all the games, I figured why not? The fact that he laughed his ass off at me as I left his house should've been my first warning. Normally, I wouldn't have hesitated to give it back, but it was the summertime, and i had nothing better to do.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i loved that game when i was a kid, though who knows whether it's held up. i remember the weird dialogue choices. and the general weirdness of the game, though not that turning people into frogs business. i don't actually own a copy -- i played it at a friend's place.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Project Midway said:

Did anyone actually get past that russian helicopter without cheating? Good but a very short game. Amazing loading tune. Martin Galway rocks. :)

Wow...sweet sweet memories of that game. Don't recall getting very far to be honest.

Chichikov

Project Midway said:

**** YEAH.
That game used to play music *while* loading.
Dynomite!

And man, there were cheats for this game?
Damn.

but yeah, I did beat it, maybe once, tried many many times.
Piece of cake until that stupid helicopter.
You had to kill it twice.

n-off

Chichikov said:
**** YEAH.
That game used to play music *while* loading.
Dynomite!

And man, there were cheats for this game?
Damn.

but yeah, I did beat it, maybe once, tried many many times.
Piece of cake until that stupid helicopter.
You had to kill it twice.

push back on joytick #2 and your helicopter was damn fast.
Loved the music during gameplay! <3

tiddles

Rambo: FBPII on the C64 and Spectrum had one of the best endings ever - if you finally made it into the camp and rescued the POWs, you could get in the helicopter and fly it around the map, destroying EVERY SINGLE TREE. You still had to watch out for occasional guys with RPGs, however - if you were shot down by one of those you'd be gutted...

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Holy crap, I saw this thread and thought "wow, blast from the past." Rambo for the NES was the only game we owned other than Super Mario Bros, and I played the crap out of it. It's hard to remember the finer details, but I actually had the whole map laid out in my head to this point where I didn't need to write down which way was where (initially I was forced to actually lay out the levels on a piece of paper).

Worst level for me was right after you leave the forest and have to attack the bad guys with weapons. I must've died a whole summer on that level, but after I got past it I was killing everything like crazy. Most insane game ever. But I didn't care, it was all I had to play. And yes, I beat it. Many times. I could probably play through it right now without much trouble.

(I later traded a realistic BB gun for Super Mario Bro's 3, which was the third game I ever owned.)

sonatinas

I remember finding my first prisioner and it felt like I finished the game. However, with hours of hard looking you will find them all. Now the music is actually pretty cool for such a shitty game.

Mojovonio

Banned
Vrolokus said:

amagon_1.gif

amagon.png

OH GAWD!

I never thought I' see this game again!

30965576-2-200-0.gif

Here's my vote for infuriating game of the NES era.

screen.gif

snap0000.gif

ToxicAdam

Nice thread Ronito.

I have made reference to Rambo NES a few times in the Zelda 2 threads. Mostly, because it was one of the first side scrollers to use a numerical EXP system. For that reason alone it was a very cool game to play. Kind of a mashup between Castlevania II and Rush n' Attack as far as gameplay goes.

But, it had alot of the trappings of early NES games. Clunky controls, insanely hard spots (a massive helicopter that takes 50 grenades before it blows up!), and a password system that could drive you crazy sometimes.

I would hardly recommend the game, but when you consider all the impressive things it tried early in the 8-bit generation:

- Alternative endings
- Genre mashup
- Numerical EXP system of leveling
- Branched conversations

For a licensed game it was very ambitious. It would have been alot easier and safer to make an Ikari-clone and call it a day (like the SMS version).

This guy has a nice write up on the NES version of Rambo. Check it out.

haha I remember Rambo NES - when video stores first started renting NES games back in the 80s it was one of like eight games the local place had. I rode up there on my bike and it was the only game they had for rent that wasnt out or that I didnt already own. So I played the heck out of it for those two days to get my moneys worth and did beat it. All I remember is throwing a lot of grenades.

BillyBobX

I remember playing this game all the way through as a kid. I remember it following the movie pretty closely. I wish I could spend huge amounts of time playing video games now like I did in my youth.

--
BBX

Remember Montgomery Wards? The clerk there sold me on this pile of excrement when I was but a small kid.

I played it a lot. I never got terribly far (for example, I never got to that construction site looking place on my own), but I have a lot of memories of it. Saving that stupid little kid from giant pink spiders, for example.

And those goddamn water sections with the bubbles? They're even worse than in Zelda II.

Top Bottom