• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rampage: Total Destruction for Wii (nice models, horrible environments)

i'm not sure why everyone is saying we shouldn't expect better than gamecube level graphics on the wii... if the leaked specs are to be believed, the wii has a TON more ram for textures than the gamecbue. That alone should have the games looking much better. What's funny is that the textures seem to be the biggest 'fault' in the graphics of all the screenshots shown so far. i'm betting that most of these titles are being developed on gamecube dev kits. I expect graphics to be improved in the majority of titles by launch. some of the lesser quality devs should follow suit by early to mid '07.

KINGMOKU

MikeHaggar said:
i'm not sure why everyone is saying we shouldn't expect better than gamecube level graphics on the wii... if the leaked specs are to be believed, the wii has a TON more ram for textures than the gamecbue. That alone should have the games looking much better. What's funny is that the textures seem to be the biggest 'fault' in the graphics of all the screenshots shown so far. i'm betting that most of these titles are being developed on gamecube dev kits. I expect graphics to be improved in the majority of titles by launch. some of the lesser quality devs should follow suit by early to mid '07.
I guess becuase its funny, and no one has yet to see a game really push the hardware.

The only game that looks pretty damn good, is Mario Galaxy, and the Killer7 look-alike.

Azazela

Banned
This looks like trash but Dreamcast standards. If this is the type of shovelware support Midway is giving Wii just to rush SOMETHING out for the launch period they shouldn't even try.

Bebpo

Banned
MikeHaggar said:

No matter how much ram you add, the textures are limited by 640x480 resolution. More ram just means less 320x240-type textures and larger environments.

Bebpo said:
No matter how much ram you add, the textures are limited by 640x480 resolution. More ram just means less 320x240-type textures and larger environments.

right, but imagine a game like RE4 where ALL the textures are 640x480. the game would look much better. on top of that, i'm sure the wii can push more polys than the gamecube, so we have improved geometry as well.

also, has it been stated anywhere that the wii is unable to output games at, say, 720p? the xbox had quite a few games running at that resolution...

Azazela

Banned
MikeHaggar said:
right, but imagine a game like RE4 where ALL the textures are 640x480. the game would look much better. on top of that, i'm sure the wii can push more polys than the gamecube, so we have improved geometry as well.

also, has it been stated anywhere that the wii is unable to output games at, say, 720p? the xbox had quite a few games running at that resolution...

I think the games were just upscaled to 720p, a game with textures ress of 640x480 maximum running in 720p.

Rushmore

Games like this miss the point of the Wii. I have no doubt that Midway will piss and moan when this game doesn't sell. At best, this should be an XBLA game (that's not a knock on XBLA, btw).

sonarrat said:
I thought every DS game was required to use the added functionality of the system.
You thought entirely wrong if you're serious.

The character models on the Wii version look far more detailed than the models on the GCN version. The environments look about the same, and likely haven't been upgraded yet. At the very least expect much sharper textures due to the extra memory with Wii. If the enivronments don't improve (hell, they could look better than that on the Cube), Midway can piss off because they are utterly worthless.

Midway being lazy on the Wii. Typical. You guys are going to gag at their next Wii game announcements. They are just scrambling to get stuff ready for the launch so UBI doesn't reap all the third-party sales.

M3wThr33

Banned
How about they include the characters from World Tour like Ruby the Lobster? I was surprised not to see any of those guys in it.

Emotions

Duckhuntdog said:
Midway being lazy on the Wii. Typical. You guys are going to gag at their next Wii game announcements. They are just scrambling to get stuff ready for the launch so UBI doesn't reap all the third-party sales.

More like Midway sucking, the last game i enjoyed from them was Body Harvest on N64.
Even though i sorta enjoy the MK games...

People need to realize that, since E3, many publishers have been scrambling to get anything they can on the system, and for expedience that usually means ports. It's a little odd that stuff like Rampage: TD is being subjected to such scrutiny, considering it's a game that people here probably didn't even play the first time it came out. It's being announced prior to the system's release, so obviously it's going to get attention for that title alone, but don't expect a port to be some kind of showcase for the system.

Top Bottom