• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Random Internet dude goes over a year without using soap/shampoo. Surprising results

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

I stopped using soap a year ago. It was easily one of the best moves I've ever made in my entire flippin' life.

About this time last year I read an article (which Mark mentioned here as well) extolling the virtues of a soap-free bathing experience. TL;DR version: Your body is designed to regulate itself. Smearing chemicals all over it wrecks its own built-in processes, and screws with naturally balanced pH levels. This made sense to me and I thought I'd give it a shot for a month.

At the beginning of February 2010, I blogged about the results I'd seen so far. I didn't stink at all (confirmed by friends, family and random people I ended up sitting next to on various forms of public transit), my skin felt better, oily and dry patches had all but disappeared and the light dandruff I'd had my entire life was almost gone. I was pleased with the results of my month experiment and decided I'd run with it for a while longer. As of January 1, 2011: it's been a year now, and I can't imagine ever going back.

More on the results I've seen: As I just mentioned, my skin feels better than ever before. Not that it ever felt bad, really, but it feels awesome now. Still no stink at all, I swear even when I'm really active and sweating I don't notice any B.O., and I used to be über self-conscious about this and would think I was stinking if I walked up a flight of stairs too quickly. So this is a huge improvement for sure. And with the exception of changing climates drastically, even the dandruff is history. My previously wavy and mostly unmanageable hair now seems much more willing to bend to my will, a dream of mine since I first looked in a mirror, brush in hand, then tried and failed to make any sense of that monster. So I approve for sure.

And speaking of hair, that was actually a perfect test. Sometime mid-summer I stopped by a barber and before I'd realized it he'd squirted a glob of shampoo onto my head. It was too late to protest, so I just sat through the scrubbing. For the following 2 weeks my hair was a mess: full of dandruff and totally uncontrollable. Once things balanced back out to the previously established no-soap norms, all was good again.

Unexpected bonus: travel is much easier. Now that I'm not lugging shampoo and conditioner with me on the road, there's that much less for TSA to hassle me about and more room in my luggage (which I quickly filled with coffee stuff, natch). Not that I always carried lots of liquid toiletries with me, but now I don't even have to think about what the hotel I'm going to might provide, or worry about having to borrow something from a friend until I can get to a store and buy my own stuff. Those details are gone. I love it.

The future? I will definitely be sticking with this. I'm still annoyed it took me 35 years to learn what I clearly already knew as a baby kicking and screaming when my parents tried to wash my hair. At least that's what I want to assume I knew back then. I know now, but I'd still rather not think about how much I spent on soap and shampoo and related products over the years when they were likely causing all the problems I was trying to protect against.

If you don't believe me, you can totally smell me when you see me in public. Really. Just ask. It won't be weird at all. Okay, maybe a little bit.

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/01/04/i-havent-used-soap-i.html

Comments are gold.

I don't think this would work for everyone. Some people just have a more pronounced musk. I unofficially did this while backpacking once. I did use deodorant of course. My skin felt awesome, but I did miss the perfurmy, soapy sensation of showering with soap.

dorkimoe

pretty sure someone else did this like 3 years ago, and its always had good results
i would do it but id have to wash the armpits

So how long would the transitional phase be between not using soap and your body getting used to balancing it's own PH levels back out?

Kosmo

Banned
I'm sure the French guy who sat next to me on a 9 hours flight back from Spain also thought he didn't smell.

Joe

i think i can try this....i have pretty oily hair though and i do get really sweaty at work sometimes so i guess i'm a little "worried" about not putting soap/shampoo into my hair.

Rad-

Soap is pretty overrated as water cleans the skin well enough but going without shampoo? I couldn't do that. My hair gets a bit oily if it goes too long without shampoo.

Meadows

Banned
I don't really understand how the hair wouldn't get greasy...and what if he touches raw chicken? People were probably just being polite to him, if I didn't wash for 36 hours I'd start to stink.

Hmmmm, I wonder if I might partake in this experiment myself. I would have to use deodorant, though, since I tend to sweat a lot.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It could work for me as long as I kept my hair short. Body wise? Hell naw. I had to skip a couple of showers during summer due to some massive crunch, and I swear I could smell my balls while sitting. My skin needs some serious scrubbing. Also, I have terrible blackheads.

Kozak

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
No shampoo is going to lead to greasier hair. Not sure if that's very appealing.

I always like my hair when it gets greasy after 3 days of staying home and doing shit all. But then of course I have to re-enter the world so I bathe myself in chemicals.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Meadows said:
I don't really understand how the hair wouldn't get greasy...and what if he touches raw chicken? People were probably just being polite to him, if I didn't wash for 36 hours I'd start to stink.
he washes, just no soap/shampoo/chemicals

diddles

Banned
interesting. i use soap but i practically never wash my back or legs (other than letting water just run over them while in the shower), and they seem fine.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Meadows said:
I think washing your hands is still a given. Does the guy just take a shower without using any soap?

Well.. he's still showering.. using deodorant.

There's nothing really that mind-boggling about this. I shower every day, sometimes twice a day.. but I pretty much only use soap on my crotch, ass, and armpits.

Outside of that I wash my hands with soap a couple times a day.. and my face with some sort of face wash maybe once or twice a week.

Zzoram

diddles said:
interesting. i use soap but i practically never wash my back or legs (other than letting water just run over them while in the shower), and they seem fine.

I very rarely soap my legs and they're fine. Smoothest skin I have actually. Hmm. Maybe I should try not soaping half my chest and watch the result.

Zeppu

This is still showering but with no soap, right? Not completely quitting showering?

I've heard that not washing your hair is actually great for it and on Cracked there was an article about how the actual act of washing scrapes the newest skin cells making you more susceptible to disease than if you just lightly washed and just air dried.

Jin34

Devolution said:
Sounds more like he should have just tried a different soap.

This, if you use cheap ass soaps they will dry the hell out of your skin. I, for one, can't fathom doing this having lived all my life in a tropical island.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Edit: beaten, twice

Devolution said:
Sounds more like he should have just tried a different soap.
This.

I started stealing my gf's Dove moisturizing body wash and Ive never looked back. Though I have to say I am very curious to try this. It only makes sense that our bodies would naturally take care of themselves...I guess.

entremet

purplestingray said:
I am really curious about this and I'm tempted to give it a try. anyone have any success with this?
Read the comments. Some people have success, some have not.

josephdebono said:
This is still showering but with no soap, right? Not completely quitting showering?

I've heard that not washing your hair is actually great for it and on Cracked there was an article about how the actual act of washing scrapes the newest skin cells making you more susceptible to disease than if you just lightly washed and just air dried.
Correct. He showers, but with just water, no soap.

Qwomo

He probably just has good genes.

I'm stinky and gross when unclean. Or at least I feel like I am, which is the same thing.

I always wondered if people back in the day just walked around with greasy hair. Going into the river probably only put more junk in it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Alternate title:

Random Internet dude goes over a year without getting laid.

yuna55

It depends on your hair/skin type. I know people with dry, curly hair that don't shampoo and it's much more managable.

What about using dry shampoo instead if it gets oily? They sell some types, but you can make your own with baking soda (and cocoa powder if you have brown hair).

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Teh Hamburglar said:
I always wondered if people back in the day just walked around with greasy hair. Going into the river probably only put more junk in it.

I would have crushed up some flowers and rubbed them all in my hair, then rinsed it. Makeshift Herbal Essences.

entremet

reilo said:
Alternate title:

Random Internet dude goes over a year without getting laid.
The original article was actually done by a married guy. His wife never mentioned any bad odors. You have to go to the link to see the original article.

Ferrio

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:

Egyptians loved their grease!

One of the more interesting ways to apply oils and fragrance to the body came in the form of a wax or grease cone worn on the head. Hieroglyphics, or picture stories often found in Egyptian tombs, show noble women (those born to the upper classes of society) wearing cones of grease or wax on their heads. These cones would slowly melt in the Egyptian heat, bathing the wearer's head, shoulders, and arms in the perfumes held in the cone, and leaving the skin oily and glistening.

LosDaddie

Banned
I could see not using soap/shampoo in showers, but not using deodorant?

Listen, I'm a man. I get dirty. I get sweaty. I work-out regularly. I do yardwork around my house weekly. I like to grill even if it's 90deg weather outside. Thus, I need deodorant

smurfx

get some go again
what about his crotch or ass? does he only use water on it? i mean if you got shit on your hand would you just wipe it off with a towel or just use water to take it off?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Teh Hamburglar said:

It depends. There was a time when rivers were clean, fresh water.

I've never tried this on any grand scale but water seems to clean me well enough. The only evidence I have for this is that often if I play a sport or something I'll just shower in hot water with no soap or shampoo (if I'd already showered for real that day). I always seem totally fine after that.

I could see there being quite a bit of personal variation but I think this would work fine for me.

Foxix Von

I'm not sure how effectively just getting my hair wet would clean it =/

If I don't shampoo it it kind of gets bitchy at me. Might give this a shot eventually, though.

entremet

LosDaddie said:
I could see not using soap/shampoo in showers, but not using deodorant?

Listen, I'm a man. I get dirty. I get sweaty. I work-out regularly. I do yardwork around my house weekly. I like to grill even if it's 90deg weather outside. Thus, I need deodorant
I think he uses deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom