• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ranger Solo : China will reportedly advertise Han Solo as a non Star Wars movie

It's no secret that China hated The Last Jedi more than anyone, but they're trying to save Solo: A Star Wars Story from suffering the same fate. China will now call the movie Ranger Solo and they have completely taken Star Wars out of the title in an effort to get people to give the movie a chance. Star Wars has never had the same impact in China as it has in most places all over the world, mainly because the original movies were never shown in theaters. But since The Last Jedi tanked so bad, they're not taking any chances with the young Han Solo movie.

https://movieweb.com/han-solo-different-chinese-title-star-wars/

3v2r28.jpg

Fbh

Didn't know that Chinese audiences didn't like The Last Jedi, not that I blame them.

Was there any known reason why ?

Jezan

Didn't know that Chinese audiences didn't like The Last Jedi, not that I blame them.

I think the only reason is that Star Wars was never a cultural phenomenon there. There is no nostalgia to sell and they like more actiony movies, no?

I still want to see The Last Jedi, but admittedly without my 80's Star Wars nostalgia, I probably wouldnt care about it.
I didnt really like The Force Awakens and Rogue One was just okay for me (of course I loved *those* scenes at the end that referenced A New Hope), so I can see why China dont care here.

Hissing Sid

‘Ah, a cunning plan my lord!’

‘Yes indeed Baldrick, if my plan were an animal, it would no doubt be referred to as Mr Foxy Fox.’

All they need to do now is cut the Millenium Falcon out of any trailer footage, put sunglasses on Chewie, make Mando Calsirrion Vietnamese and they’re Golden.

No way will the Chinese figure it out..

No. Way.

Do you think Disney executives have trouble getting through doors whilst wearing their clown shoes?

Last edited:

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

That market isn't overly enamored with Star Wars in general, the original films didn't come over until right before Force Awakens came out, so they're starting from scratch. Force Awakens gets a bit of a push because it's a flashy effects film, but the new trilogy still relies a lot on connections with the older films.

In general Western studios aren't going to be able to rely on China as much as they have this past decade. The Chinese market is building up their film industry and pushing those to succeed.

N21

I'm assuming China could care less about Star Wars. I imagine the west too if it was still in Lucas's hands.

Top Bottom