• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank your Nintendo consoles and handhelds

Marche90

1.- Wii
2.- 3DS (so far, might rank up when more games come stateside)
3.- SNES
4.- NES
5.- DS Lite (An used pink one in very bad shape)

Tyeforce

Wii >>>>> GameCube > Nintendo 64 > Super NES > NES

Nintendo 3DS >>>>> Nintendo DS > Game Boy Advance > Game Boy Color > Game Boy

Virtual Console/backwards compatibility. If games really are what matter most, then there's no reason why Wii and Nintendo 3DS shouldn't be on top when they can play ALL the games!

Drago

Wii>SNES>N64>GCN

DS>=GBA>3DS>GBC>GB

In my opinion at least. Also never had an NES but based off NES games I've played I'd put it just behind GC.

Crayons

Banned
Consoles

SNES
N64
GameCube
Wii

Handheld

DS
GBA
3DS

DS is the best of them all though, I have at leadt 75 DS games and I'm still missing a ton of awesome ones.

bryanee

Nintendo 64
Snes
Gamecube
Wii
Nes

3DS
GBA
DS (outside of the Layton games there wasnt much I enjoyed on the DS)

Never owned a GB.

CONSOLES:

1.) NES / Famicom / Famicom Disk System - I love these system. I've collected for these systems. I've studied these systems. And the NES was my first Nintendo system.
2.) SNES

- a massive GULF between the above systems and the ones below -

3.) Wii
4.) GCN
5.) N64

HANDHELDS:

1.) GBA - I dunno, I just really loved the GBA years. And I especially love the GB Micro.
2.) DS
3.) 3DS
4.) GB
5.) GBC

I really fell out of Nintendo during the late-90s, which is why the N64 and GBC rank so low for me. The GBA pulled me back in.

I left out systems I've never owned, like the Virtual Boy. Technically I never owned a GBC either, but GBAs could play GBC games so a few wound up in my library.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Consoles:

1. NES - The original got me hooked on gaming and I feel more twinges of nostalgia playing this than anything

2. SNES - Incredible library for such a short generation.

3. Gamecube - Metroid Prime, Tales of Symphonia, Super Mario Sunshine, and Zelda Wind Waker are among my top 20 games of all time.

4. Wii - Definitely was a new way of playing games. I eventually wanted to just use a standard controller for everything though (looking at you Skyward Sword!). Metroid Prime 3 and Elebits were the only games that really "clicked" for me with the Wii controls.

5. N64 - The PSX/N64 era was probably my least favorite because the 3D graphics were so terrible. Outside of Super Mario 64, the Zeldas, Goldeneye, and Starfox 64, I didn't really enjoy many of the 64s games. Then again, I wasn't really paying attention because I was playing Panzer General, Red Alert, Warcraft 2, and Civilization 2 on PC for like 3 years straight.

Handhelds:

Well I played the original Gameboy the most with games like Final Fantasty Legend 1-3...

The Gameboy Advance was neat but like the original Gameboy, you had to sit in direct sunlight to see anything or buy a huge obnoxious lightboy thingy. GBA SP was a God-send in that regard.

The DS and the 3DS have been pretty adequate. I'm not a huge fan of handhelds though.

Brera

Banned
Consoles that I've owned:

1. SNES
2. N64
3. GC
4. Wii

Yes, there is a pettern here. Nintendo consoles have steadily gotten worse!

Handhelds:

1. GBA SP
2. GBA
3. GBC
4. GB
5. DS
6. 3DS (so far)
7. VB.

Handhelds are a bit more all over the place.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Console:

1. SNES - my alltime favorite game system, some of the most legendary games of all time, including the peak of Mario/Zelda/Metroid
2. NES - what got me into gaming, established lots of franchises and genres that I still play today
3. DS - the best handheld ever (though PSP is getting there), huge library of fantastic titles, I sought solace in this handheld after console gaming moved far away from the type of experiences I prefer
4. GBA - a bit disappointing considering its potential, but still lots of great 2D action games
5. Wii - motion controls didn't work for me, but the system still has Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment 2, and the first new 2D console Mario in years
6. GB - the first ever serious handheld machine, even if it's extremely dated I had a blast with its games
7. GBC - a short-lived platform that had a few standout hits (DQ3, Link's Awakening DX) but never seemed to really develop much of an "identity".
8. GameCube - Nintendo's weakest first party offerings, apart from Melee. This was pretty much my Melee/Baten Kaitos box. A very capable platform though, shame it had so much squandered potential.
9. Virtual Boy - never actually owned one, but have played a few games back at electronics stores in the '90's. Would like one for gimmick purposes.
10. N64 - hated the blurry graphics, the glut of 3D collectathon platformers, and the glut of mediocre western titles in Nintendo's "dream team". Lack of good RPGs compared to its peers. Most overrated first party Nintendo titles in history (even if they're still good). Garbage controller too. Never liked this system.

Haven't really spent any time with the 3DS yet.

jmls1121

Banned
Consoles

1. NES -- It's games may not hold up today, but it is amazing to look back at just how groundbreaking this system was
2. Wii -- If people are to look back at the first 30 years of modern gaming, the landmark moments will be the NES and SMB, the Playstation and the Wii. In a few years, I think the general gaming community will come to universally appreciate its unique library. And the Galaxy games are the greatest games of all time in my opinion.

3. Super Nintendo -- So many great games that still look great today. Nintendo and SquareSoft firing on all cylinders.

4. GameCube -- I feel that the lower sales of this console effected the design decisions of some of these games (cutting development of Wind Waker short and putting in the triforce hunt). Still a great system, and amazing how Nintendo's engineers fit so much power into that little box. Also has the best traditional controller of all time.

5. N64 -- 5 or 6 all-time classic games, and very little else. Nintendo going through growing pains learning how to build 3D worlds...I am hoping that they do not go through similar problems adjusting to HD Graphichs

Handhelds:

1. DS -- the greatest system of all time. It has been said before, but its library is simply incredible

2. 3DS -- Seems to be keeping the momentum with games that the DS started. The 3D effect is not a gimmick, and the system is powerful enough to render great 3D worlds. Great online, and so many little touches that are classic Nintendo (streetpass, pedometer, AR Cards, etc.)

3. GBA -- Never had this system, but Metroid handheld games are always welcome

4. GB -- the 3DS virtual console has taught me that the Game Boy did not have that many good games

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm not going to rank these as the stand with me in 2012, but rather how they affected me during their generation.

1. SNES - The 16-bit generation was just an absolute blast for me, and the SNES was just such a kick ass system with strong games in every genre.

2. NES- Strong first party offerings for the time, and incredible third party support. Introduced me to Castlevania, Contra, Zelda, Ninja Gaiden, etc...

3. Wii- The Wii has what I feel to be the strongest overall first party offerings of any Nintendo system ever. Two solid Zelda titles, two strong Mario games, a beautiful Punchout return, excellent Kirby games, and Retro Studio's Metroid Prime 3 an DKCR, among other games. I've never enjoyed so many first party Nintendo games on one system before, but the system stumbles in third party content.

4. GBA- Introduced me to Advance Wars, Golden Sun, and some of the best Castlevania games I've played. Loved the sp model!

5. Gamecube - The Gamecube was my travel system, as we took it on vacations with us. Solid first party offerings, and easily the best launch of the last generation.

6. DS- I honestly never played much of the DS, but it did introduce me to Professor Layton, and had some good Castlevania titles, so that should count for something.

7. 3DS- Still too young and only a matter of time before this rises in the ranks for me. Especially with so many promising games releasing.

8. N64- Some very notable games like Super Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Goldeneye, and Starfox, but a few stong games here and there couldn't make up for such a shitty overall library.

9. Gameboy- For me this was the worst of the worst. Not a single one of my beloeved franchises translated into an enjoyable game on this hunk of shit. Sorry guys, but I did not like Gameboy.

Top Bottom