• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Switch nearing the end of its life, how does GAF rank it among Nintendo's systems?

How do you rank Switch against other Nintendo systems?

• The best Nintendo system

• Top 3

• Top 5

• Bottom half

• Worst

Results are only viewable after voting.

Foxt3r

Favorite console of all time. Not even close

Best Zelda: BOTW
Best 2d Metroid: Dread
Second Best Pokemon: Arceus
Best Platformer : DK Tropical Freeze
Best 3d Mario (not fan of Galaxy): Odyssey
Best Kirby Game: Forgotten Land

I could continue. Yes the hardware is crap, but the software is unmatched (I don’t give a shit about "cinematic experiences")

Last edited:

mystech

Not quite top 3 for me but definitely top 5 for sure! Nintendo really redeemed themselves with the Switch, so much that I sometimes forget the Wii-U was a thing. My top 5 would be:

1. SNES (legendary status)
2. Gameboy Advanced (so many classics on such a small system)
3. Wii (Changed games forever and opened up gaming to casuals)
4. Switch (Perfect comeback system and a smart choice to combine their handheld and console market into one hybrid system)
5. DS (it was a big gamble to move away from the successful Gameboy line with a gimmicky 2 screen system but it sure did pay off!)

Let’s just hope Nintendo doesn’t mess up the Switch 2.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's better than most. In terms of home consoles and how I enjoyed them I'd rank them

NES
SNES
Switch
Gamecube
Wii U
Wii
N64

SenkiDala

I'd say top 3, to me nothing can beat the SNES and I've a special place in my heart for the GameCube (REmake, RE4, WW, Metroid Prime).

But I've to say I'm a bit disappointed, it delivered but it could deliver SO MUCH MORE, they sold so much of this they could have invest so much more, bring so much more games but... I won't complain, it is great overall. Mario Wonder looks fantastic, Mario RPG I'll finally experience it, I played it on emulators but never completed it (the game has never been release in France officially), Princess Peach Showtime looks so fun, 1000 doors too. So yeah it's a great system but I wish they made more deals with 3rd parties publishers to bring more exclusives.

Marvel14

Banned
To be fair, Nintendo was first to market with a device like this. What I didn't realize until doing some research is that the Atari Lynx came out less than 2 months later in the USA. It literally blew GB out of the water in every aspect, except two. Games and price, which were probably the biggest reason it crashed and burned.
You forgot battery life.

Alan Wake

The hybrid thing makes it top 3. My kids love it. I hate the JoyCons, games look pretty much like on the Wii U and Nintendo way of delivering overpriced games and hardware is atrocious. Mario Kart 8 is still 55$ here.

The huge success of the system has made Nintendo pretty lazy. Only one new 3D Mario game in six years and no new Mario Kart. I understand why they save those for Switch 2 but still.

Hudo

For me, it's because I had more fun with my NES than I did SNES.

For me, the classics on the NES are far more memorable and games that I still enjoy playing to this day.
Was it the more simplistic nature of the games? I mean, for example, I thoroughly get why there is a group of people who like the first Dragon Quest the most. It's... refreshingly straightforward (I don't want to say simple because that would do it a disservice, imho) and does what it sets out to do very well. Same with the first Super Mario.

LakeOf9

So 95% of GAF thinks it’s at least top 5, almost half think it’s top 3, and a quarter think it’s the best. I assume at least one of the 8 people who voted for the poorer options is zeldaring whose immense salt at Nintendo being praised cannot be contained.

I picked a good time to jump into Nintendo fandom at least.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Top 1 for me. It got amazing first party games, lots of third party support and I can play lots of classics on it. What's more to ask?

zeldaring

Banned
So 95% of GAF thinks it’s at least top 5, almost half think it’s top 3, and a quarter think it’s the best. I assume at least one of the 8 people who voted for the poorer options is zeldaring whose immense salt at Nintendo being praised cannot be contained.

I picked a good time to jump into Nintendo fandom at least.
Naw i voted top 5 mainly for me cause wiiu basically had everything i really cared about for nintendo that the switch had. mario can be hit and miss, zelda usually hits for me but i hated the building mechanics and donkey kong is great everything else i have no interests in.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Top 3.. SNES no.1, and then DS is no.2. Switch is 3.

3DS and then Gamecube were my favorite Nintendo systems, but Switch is easily my favorite system of all time. I just love its functionality and versatility. Feels like it was made just for me. Thank you Nintendo!

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
To be fair, Nintendo was first to market with a device like this. What I didn't realize until doing some research is that the Atari Lynx came out less than 2 months later in the USA. It literally blew GB out of the water in every aspect, except two. Games and price, which were probably the biggest reason it crashed and burned.
Battery life was also crucial to the success of the Game Boy in an age of non-rechargeable batteries.

But yeah, the GB has a library of over 1000 games. The Lynx apparently has about 70.

PaintTinJr

Definitely the worst. As it is the only Nintendo console I've owned that has had controllers fail beyond repair, small flimsy gimmicky controllers that I never use unless it is for Wii Sports - I mean switch sports.

Without the games that were all designed originally for other systems and wiimotes the library of games for the system is virtually empty. TotK being one of the few that actually was a genuine switch title, no real MK since MK7 is just so disappointing. I still prefer the WiiU and is porbably the reason it is still connected and gets a runout frequently

Despite getting a 2nd in the house for our youngest, I wouldn't have bought my launch model again, knowing what I know now..

Kokoloko85

Great system.
Console wise, I cant put it above Snes or N64 personally or Nes.
Handheld wise…I put it above them all. Its the biggest jump too handheld wise in my opinion

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Best handheld objectively, but nothing explains looking at the shit Gameboy colours and Tetris playing that makes the OG Gameboy the best. Pure nostalgia answer.

It's no SNES as that RPG machine is the best Nintendo console. Wii was great until it became pure shovelware. So 4th best machine.

RAIDEN1

The Switch ranks probably second behind the Wii as the console that kept Nintendo in the conversation despite not having the horsepower under the hood

kunonabi

Wii > SNES > N64 > Famicom/NES > WiiU > Switch > GameCube

Excluding handhelds. If I added them it would be behind all of them.

The Switch has some of Nintendo's laziest and most uninspired first party output, an awful controller, shoddy and ugly construction, barebones system features, and the fantastic gimmick behind the whole thing is letdown by how shitty of a portable it is.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Middle of the pack, I guess. There's a lot of good games, but few real standouts for me. The emphasis on bloat has been a real downer - between stuff like Mario Odyssey, BOTW, TOTK, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, etc, I really wish there was more stuff that's willing to get to the fucking point. My favorite games have generally been WiiU re-releases and remakes.

The hardware is trash. Completely indefensible, and I'll be glad to see it gone.

My rankings at this point would be:

1) Super Nintendo
2) Gamecube
3) 3DS
4) WiiU (crap hardware but super good games)
5) DS
6) Wii
7) Switch
8) Game Boy Advance
9) NES
10) N64
11) Game Boy
12) Virtual Boy

cireza

Some people in this thread have put NES above SNES. I am genuinely curious as to why that is.
The NES is a much better console in my opinion. But I tend to prefer the simplicity of 8 bits games. SNES also felt like the console was constantly struggling to display and move things around.

Switch is good because it managed to get some unusual third party support with pretty niche games.

Wii U is still the best console they made, you can play basically every Nintendo console on it.
Then NES and GC, but Wii U makes them both irrelevant since you can play them on it.
Handhelds = GBA, again Wii U can play the console perfectly.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I only had the 3ds, wii and the wii U and a switch. Of that I liked the Switch the most. The multiplayer option no matter where, is simply awesome.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Was it the more simplistic nature of the games?
Absolutely.

For me, no other Nintendo system (except for the Switch) has as many classics as does the NES:

-Contra and Super C
-Mike Tyson's Punchout!!!
-Ninja Gaiden I-III
-Double Dragon I-III
-Mega Man 1-6
-Mario 1, 2, and 3
-Zelda
-Metroid
-Final Fantasy
-Dragon Quest
-the TMNT games
-Konkey Dong
-Earthbound
-Tecmo Bowl
-Jackal
-Duck Hunt
-Golf
-Rad Racer
-Excitebike
-Spy Hunter

So many good games. Infinitely replayable.
And that just scratches the surface.

digdug2

Was it the more simplistic nature of the games? I mean, for example, I thoroughly get why there is a group of people who like the first Dragon Quest the most. It's... refreshingly straightforward (I don't want to say simple because that would do it a disservice, imho) and does what it sets out to do very well. Same with the first Super Mario.
I wouldn't really say that it was more the simplistic nature of the games, it was more of a time and place thing for me. I was 5 years old when I got my NES, and to this day some of my best video gaming memories were NES-based. I still remember the first time that I played Metroid, for example, and holy cow you could go to the left. You couldn't do that in the original Super Mario Bros.!

The next console that I got was a Sega Genesis, because I really wanted Sonic the Hedgehog 2. As a kid growing up in rural Iowa, I really didn't have a chance to test out a Genesis or Super Nintendo before making the purchase. I got a Super Nintendo later on down the road with Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World, but it just didn't really have the WOW factor. I suspect it's probably because I got a Genesis first.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I wouldn't really say that it was more the simplistic nature of the games, it was more of a time and place thing for me. I was 5 years old when I got my NES, and to this day some of my best video gaming memories were NES-based. I still remember the first time that I played Metroid, for example, and holy cow you could go to the left. You couldn't do that in the original Super Mario Bros.!

The next console that I got was a Sega Genesis, because I really wanted Sonic the Hedgehog 2. As a kid growing up in rural Iowa, I really didn't have a chance to test out a Genesis or Super Nintendo before making the purchase. I got a Super Nintendo later on down the road with Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World, but it just didn't really have the WOW factor. I suspect it's probably because I got a Genesis first.
SNES also lacked that wow factor for me. Sure , the games looked prettier, but lacked a certain soul.

zeldaring

Banned
Absolutely.

For me, no other Nintendo system (except for the Switch) has as many classics as does the NES:

-Contra and Super C
-Mike Tyson's Punchout!!!
-Ninja Gaiden I-III
-Double Dragon I-III
-Mega Man 1-6
-Mario 1, 2, and 3
-Zelda
-Metroid
-Final Fantasy
-Dragon Quest
-the TMNT games
-Konkey Dong
-Earthbound
-Tecmo Bowl
-Jackal
-Duck Hunt
-Golf
-Rad Racer
-Excitebike
-Spy Hunter

So many good games. Infinitely replayable.
And that just scratches the surface.
Zelda 2 was amazing and so were the megaman games only problem games were too hard for me as a kid, hardly beat any of then except the mario games. super nes takes it though cause of the fighting games, mainly street fighter 2 turbo for me those were epic with friends.

Last edited:

Hunter 99

For me I would say top 5...
Some will disagree here but I'm basing on what gave me the most enjoyment from all the stages of my life so far.not sure about the order of 1-3 though.
5)3ds
4)switch
3)Wii
2)N64
1)Wii U

Despite all the hate for the wii u. I brought one in 2013 (got a ps4 a year later) and although not a massive library the games were all amazing quality.SM3DW,Donkey kong TF,Zombie u (was awesome with the gamepad),project zero,Mario Kart,Bayonetta 1 and 2.
I really enjoyed my time with the Wii u.

My top three is SNES , NES and Gamecube with Switch in fourth. It has some brilliant games although I do wish it had a better feature set that was a little more comparable with other consoles. Things like themes with background music , achievements, music apps.

One tiny nitpick too is i would of liked the store to have had music like the Wii etc.

I’m looking forward to what the successor is going to be like.

BlackTron

Overall Switch is the best system, but if we only count its own games (so no counting the SNES and N64 online, or Wii U titles) it isn't that great compared to the accomplishments of past systems. Switch's major accomplishment is making what was already there easier to play, and that's fine.

Judging only by their own platforms games, I think N64 has the best first party lineup and SNES had the best third party until Switch came along...

Marvel14

Banned
games look pretty much like on the Wii U
A quick comparison of ground textures and draw distance between Pikmin 3 and Pikmin 4 exposes this "opinion" as utter horseshit.
zeldaring whose immense salt at Nintendo being praised cannot be contained.
Ignore the sucker- reasons like a preteen or early teen with too much time on their hands and a burning need to be noticed. If no one pays notice they'll get tired and move on..eventually.
the library of games for the system is virtually empty.
So much BS so little time: Mario Odyssey, 2 Fire Emblems, 2 Splatoons, Astral Chain, Arms, Ring Fit, Animal Crossing, TOTK, Luigi's Mansion 3, the definitive Smash Bros, Metroid Dread, 2d Mario (upcoming and Mariomaker), Paper Mario, Mario+Rabbids. I've listed 2 Switch-only 1st party exclusives per year of NSW's existence and there's more (eg Xenoblade, Warioware)..

I don't think "virtually empty " means what you think it means.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

So much BS so little time: Mario Odyssey, 2 Fire Emblems, 2 Splatoons, Astral Chain, Arms, Ring Fit, Animal Crossing, TOTK, Luigi's Mansion 3, the definitive Smash Bros, Metroid Dread, 2d Mario (upcoming and Mariomaker), Paper Mario, Mario+Rabbids. I've listed 2 Switch-only 1st party exclusives per year of NSW's existence and there's more (eg Xenoblade, Warioware)..

I don't think "virtually empty " means what you think it means.
As someone that's been playing every nintendo system since the beginning my comment is derived from a feeling of cohesiveness with the system, not some technical check box. And by that feeling the system is living on Iwata/Miyamoto greatness, not the directive game development staff efforts of today, IMO.

And I'd also say that Odyssey started development on WiiU and was ported like many of the Switch's so-called games, even though I think it is very poor as a mainline Mario from 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1 heritage in OST, and gameplay and story, that all feel measurable fine, but collectively far less than their product should be. The camera AI just takes all the sense of speed and impact out of the mario game, and the interactive props all feel disjointed and just thrown in for change's sake.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Top 3 due to software library and I don't even play the thing.

NES, SNES, Switch IMO, not necessarily in that order though.

Edit- if we're including handhelds then that changes things because the DS reigns supreme and everything else is fighting for 2nd place

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
SNES is my favorite. Switch is my favorite system since the GBA and I'd have all three as my top three.

Top Bottom