• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare: Half the studio working on secret projects, 360 hasn't reached its limit

Sean

Banned
SapientWolf said:
They might as well port the original, because the Rare that made Perfect Dark for the N64 no longer exists.

Yeah, all of those amazing wizard programmers from Rare's glory days are at Free Radical now and they just released an awesome triple-A game called Haze.

MCD

VideoGamer.com: Looking back at your career, and you have been at Rare for a while now, and the stuff you've worked on and had influence on, what are you most proud of?

Nick Burton: I have two things. First one is just the amount of graphical effects we got into Kameo. We said earlier it still looks great. It's absolutely packed full of stuff. I saw a thing recently with Unreal where they were talking about water that reacted to the player. We had that in 2005! I was very proud of that and proud of the reception it got as well. To read the reviews and all the people saying it set the high point for graphics and things like that, to have, when we'd done some of the technology, these really senior Microsoft Games Studio people come in to the studio, sitting down and saying: how the hell have you done that? That was a defining moment for me as a graphics programmer.
fucking awesome.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sean said:
Yeah, all of those amazing wizard programmers from Rare's glory days are at Free Radical now and they just released an awesome triple-A game called Haze.
The people from Rare's glory days are scattered all over the place. One of the lead designers for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark was Martin Hollis, and apparently he started his own company. Even the company's founders are now gone.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Nolan. said:
Have you read these interviews.?
This is a tangent brought up when someone mentioned the PD for the N64. Nick Burton never worked on either of those games. My point was that the original team no longer exists so there's no point in hoping that any sequel from Rare will be just like those titles.

SapientWolf said:
My point was that the original team no longer exists so there's no point in hoping that any sequel from Rare will be just like those titles.
When you're talking about a game that's 11 years old the original team that worked on it becomes fairly irrelevant. How different are you to the person you were 11 years ago?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Psychotext said:
When you're talking about a game that's 11 years old the original team that worked on it becomes fairly irrelevant. How different are you to the person you were 11 years ago?
I don't see the logic in that argument. That's like saying Miyamato is irrelevant because he's been working at Nintendo for over 11 years. Talented people tend to get even better, if they change at all. On the other hand, the results you would get from an entirely different team can vary wildly.

master15

It's been mentioned a few times in this thread but I would absolutely kill for a new Jet Force Gemini game.

jfgcorner.jpg

The original game I beleive struggled mainly because it was overshadowed by release of Donkey Kong 64 around same time but also many struggled with the game's duel control system. I think it would work perfectly now with something like a Resident Evil 4 over the shoulder perspective which would help both platforming and shoot elements.

[Nintex]

SapientWolf said:
This is a tangent brought up when someone mentioned the PD for the N64. Nick Burton never worked on either of those games. My point was that the original team no longer exists so there's no point in hoping that any sequel from Rare will be just like those titles.
Gregg Mayles(the DKC guy) is still at RARE among other people. Most N64 games were designed with 10/20 people and most of these guys are still at RARE. Only a few of them left, but those old teams were so small that they had to form a new FPS team. The only team that is actually gone is the DKR/Sabreman Stampede team :(

SapientWolf said:
I don't see the logic in that argument. That's like saying Miyamato is irrelevant because he's been working at Nintendo for over 11 years. Talented people tend to get even better, if they change at all. On the other hand, the results you would get from an entirely different team can vary wildly.
Then what you actually want are quality developers... which you can get anywhere. What most people want when they talk about getting the original team is the same thought process, style etc used on the first game.

Nolan.

SapientWolf said:

A lot of the original Square employee's that worked on FF for years aren't there anymore but they can still make a good FF game...

Raiden

Banned
master15 said:
It's been mentioned a few times in this thread but I would absolutely kill for a new Jet Force Gemini game.

jfgcorner.jpg

The original game I beleive struggled mainly because it was overshadowed by release of Donkey Kong 64 around same time but also many struggled with the game's duel control system. I think it would work perfectly now with something like a Resident Evil 4 over the shoulder perspective which would help both platforming and shoot elements.

I came in to post that, an incredibly underrated/sold game, i loved it.

RARE, for the love of GOD please, PLEASE make another Jet Force Gemini game!!
We are 2 generations ahead of the first game. You know deep down in your souls a new Jet Force Gemini game with the new Banjo Engine would completely fucking own all it predates!! DO IT!! JFG was wayyy ahead of it's time, we just were not ready for what that game gave us. Even the control scheme you guys worked out for it was 2 generations ahead of it's time! Dual controls!? For a controller that was shit in that regard? Seriously!?
The graphics, the sound was just the top of technical candy. You bastards better make a new one this gen or I'll steal your bonzai's!

Expect!

SapientWolf said:
The people from Rare's glory days are scattered all over the place. One of the lead designers for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark was Martin Hollis, and apparently he started his own company. Even the company's founders are now gone.
& what has Zoonami done in the 8 years it's been running? Must have done some great stuff with such a white hot talent like Hollis behind it.

Sean

Banned
SapientWolf said:

What has Zoonami done since it was founded in 2000? They managed to release a poorly-rated Sudoku game for the DS and did character designs for a PSN puzzle game. That's it. Zoonami is a fucking joke.

You are making it seem like those 6 or 7 people who left Rare back in 1998 are the only ones capable of making an FPS.

scarybore

I loved JFG, especially the Mr Pants mode which had me giggling like a school girl. Rare really should get both the original PD and JFG on XBLA in addition to Banjo, I think the Xbox audience would eat them up providing they had modern controls.

MCD

Deathcraze said:
I loved JFG, especially the Mr Pants mode which had me giggling like a school girl. Rare really should get both the original PD and JFG on XBLA in addition to Banjo, I think the Xbox audience would eat them up providing they had modern controls.
it's better to save them for later.

like, if they announce another JFG and PD for the 360, these ports will come in handy.

I should probably know the answer to this question since I love the game so much, but does Rare own the rights to Battle Toads?

If so I would outright faint if they announced they were working on a new one.

jimbo

Banned
I can see Conker or Kameo with the release of Banjo because they can use the engine, but probably not both.

What we are/should all be hoping for though is a new Killer Instinct. I mean we have had so many SCs, Tekkens, VFs, heck even the death, rebirth and then death again of the Mortal Kombat series. A new next gen KI, with the graphical impact to match the first games would absolutely rock and bring about a breath of fresh air in the fighting genre. I love the characters in that game.

Wait I have more requests and wishfulf hoping, as is always the case with Rare.

1. Can we PLEASE get a kart racing game?

2. Please find a replacement for Donkey Kong ASAP. The worst thing that happened when Nintendo sold Rare is they basically killed the potential of ever getting good stand alone Donkey Kong Country games. That IP had massive stand-alone potential if still in Rare's hands. I almost wish Rare would have designed their own freaking monkey for those games so they could keep it. What Rare managed to pull off with that IP and the good ol SNES for its time still brings a tear to my eyes(and the MUSIC). One of my favorite videogame worlds ever.

McDragon said:
it's better to save them for later.

like, if they announce another JFG and PD for the 360, these ports will come in handy.

You know I can see rare releasing a XBLA version of the older counterparts of franchises they remake and bring back. Like how they are doing with Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. They are releasing B&K 1/2 on the XBLA as well.

Maybe they will do this with a new Perfect Dark, a new JFG, a battletoads, a new Blast Corps, etc...this would be awesome if they did that. They need to expand so they can work on existing franchises and make new fanchises as well.

Sydle

Shadowlink123 said:
I have one question though, Is the conker team still with Rare?

Yes, but seeing as how Rare likes to shift around resources as necessary then there's no telling how intact it is. In any case, they've been quite since 2005.

George K.

LegendofJoe said:
I should probably know the answer to this question since I love the game so much, but does Rare own the rights to Battle Toads?

If so I would outright faint if they announced they were working on a new one.
We do still own the rights to Battletoads, but tbh I think it's recent surge in popularity is at least partly due to Anonymous/4chan's appropriation of the characters for use in their war on Scientology (is that still going on?) than to nostalgia for the old Sega and Nintendo games.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
szaromir said:
Games Convention is in 9 days. Can't wait to put my hands on Banjo :)

I so envy you dude :lol

George, should we expect direct feed video or good video of Viva Pinata and Banjo from this event? If so, where should we look? Thanks in advance :D

eso76

I wouldn't mind a racing game not unlike outrun / cruis'n'usa (i actually liked the first cruisn') and i'd really like a different driving game somewhere between the first need for speed, test drive and outrun, where you don't necessarily race, but rather cruise through a gorgeous scenery.
The fact he mentioned outrun might have something to do with this ?

George K.

Agent Icebeezy said:
I so envy you dude :lol

George, should we expect direct feed video or good video of Viva Pinata and Banjo from this event? If so, where should we look? Thanks in advance :D
No idea, sorry.

Also, OutRun 2 was my fave racer of last gen - sequel plz, SEGA.

Prine

Banned
:lol @ Free Radical and Zoonami

If that's where the 'incredible talent' of Rare have gone than they arnt really proving it. Horrible output of games, Haze doing far worse than PDZ.

Banjo N&B and Viva 2 show glimpses of the old Rare more so than anything FD and Zoonami have put out.

Proof is there were the talent still remains.

Timber

Prine said:
:lol @ Free Radical and Zoonami

If that's where the 'incredible talent' of Rare have gone than they arnt really proving it. Horrible output of games, Haze doing far worse than PDZ.

Banjo N&B and Viva 2 show glimpses of the old Rare more so than anything FD and Zoonami have put out.

Proof is there were the talent still remains.
Hey man the TimeSplitters games are excellent >_<

George, can we expect any demos for Banjo or VP2? I did read somewhere on here a VP2 demo was due, can you confirm that? And Banjo as well...

George K.

steverulez said:
George, can we expect any demos for Banjo or VP2? I did read somewhere on here a VP2 demo was due, can you confirm that? And Banjo as well...

You mean Marketplace demos? I would hope so, we're not blind to the high value of demos, it just needs to fit in with VP and Banjo teams' schedule. I know for sure that you won't be seeing a demo prior to release, as any time working on that subtracts from time polishing up the game.

Gwanatu T

Timber said:
Hey man the TimeSplitters games are excellent >_<

Timesplitters, especially 2 and 3, were incredible games, especially the multiplayer.

I came in to this thread expecting the best and got quite a bit of it. Although there's no crazy unveiled games here, all the speculation and discussion is well worth admission.

Top Bottom