• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Interview For Kameo Xbox 360

Namomura

http://www.jeux-france.com/articles_dossiers235_interview-kameo-eng-.html

interesting stuff.

The atmosphere of the game is really special. What was your inspiration to create the world of Kameo : Elements of Power ?

George Andreas (Rare) : The whole team wanted to create a believable fairy tale, but one that always had a bit of an edge to it. We wanted to make sure Kameo : Elements of Power's world always had a balance between light and dark, good and evil. And the way the world is depicted really highlights this. For example, the first level is set in Thorns Castle which has a very ominous and dark feel to it. And the very next area they player is treated to is the Enchanted Kingdom which is bright and mystical. From that moment on the mood is set and the two extremes of the Kameo : Elements of Power game world help establish the good and the bad - but both belong in the same universe. The world's surrounding these areas are part inspired by the Elemental Warriors. Their look and style also dictates the world in which they live and exist in. We also have a great concept artist who's also really good at tuning into what we want. We ask him to draw up several designs based on a few parameters, and he then goes away and comes up with some really amazing stuff. Sometimes he'll go way off the rails and draw something completely unlike what we discussed, but when we see these, sometimes we much prefer them so we get him to embellish them some more. It's a very organic and creative process.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
The draw-in is really obvious in that video and the animation hasn't improved one bit I see.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The atmosphere of the game is really special. What was your inspiration to create the world of Kameo : Elements of Power ?

someone post that 'rare guide to creating characters' pic, quick!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
game looks pretty good going from that video. I really liked the "sheen" that appears on the grass.

But the repeated/tiled textures for the terrain in some parts really spoils the aesthetic at times. And what's with the horses tail? It looks really odd.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Yeah, the grass looked amazing, as did the actual brawl going on. It seems much better that the first round of shots that had only a few cannned animations going at once.

The tail seems blurry. Hopefully, it's individual whisps of hair that don't translate well from the screen to the camera to the computer.

Maybe Blim can clarify if it looks that odd in person.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
urk said:
Maybe Blim can clarify if it looks that odd in person.
Except for the texture tiling (that could be fixed according to the game art lead at X05) and the lack of shadows for distant ennemies, I did not see anything that bothered me in this scene. I certainly don't remember the tail being a problem.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
The tail looks bad because they're using "fur shading" for it. I'm not sure it's the right approach since a horse tail isn't fluffy but either way they're not using enough geometry.

eso76

This game just looks better and better, but the heavy texture tiling is really holding it back in the visual dept.
I hope what they told Blim is true, it should be easy to sort this out adding one texture layer. Other than that this game is gorgeous, it should look fabulous on my new 45" HDTV DLP (which is the same as Blim's : D )

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
just saw the video. first thing that stood out to me was how crisp it looked. the colors also looked much better in this video than in older media. looks really good. definitely gives you that epic feel. some bad things i noticed: animations are still heavily repeated during the ogre battle and are somewhat stiff (though better than before). and there definitely is some draw in/pop up. you can see it when she first starts riding the horse. trees and bushes pop up..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
some nice texturing (although they got blurry not far off, they were crispy when stood still) and the bad guys looked OK.

But the landscape looked like generic ATV offroad style generated bumps. Nothing special. I guess this just doesn't push my buttons, which is fine.

adamma666

mrklaw said:
someone post that 'rare guide to creating characters' pic, quick!

hm, this?

rareguide.gif

Prine

Banned
Good stuff, i wish more websites interview Rare. I want someone to question PDZ team, just so we can clarify most of the confusion floating around this game

Helznicht

Screw repeating textures, and LOD shadows.

That video just fucking pwn3d me.

The elves have as much detail as the lead character in Fable. And the battle animations are more varied now and not on the same timer as before giving a much more realistic battle.

MS, where do i send my paycheck you bastards?!?

hlazzo

The game looks great. Does anyone know the average length of the game? I remember reading that it was 20-25 hours but I could be wrong about that.

Top Bottom