• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay officially announced - $30 and available August 4, 2015

The Flash

Banned
I could easily see Battletoads get the Killer Instinct and Conker treatment; being 'revived' through another developer.

I could see WayForward or Yacht Club Games make it :).

How big is Yacht Club though? They've still got SK content to push out.

Yeah, I can't imagine they are making anything until they finish all the Shovel Knight DLC.

That said, they were one of the first developers to jump on the cross buy stuff with Windows 10 and Xbox One, so I imagine their relationship with MS is pretty good.

RK128

That is a good point.....but considering the extent they went with the Battletoads content in the X1 version of Shovel Knight, they must be interested with doing further work with the IP :).

The Flash

Banned
That is a good point.....but considering the extent they went with the Battletoads content in the X1 version of Shovel Knight, they must be interested with doing further work with the IP :).

Oh yeah they could totally do it. They are the ones that wanted to put BT in SK to begin with. They don't have anything else in the works after SK as far as I know.

Come on man! That poster is the perfect size for a frame i have flanking my tv! I need that, even if its not some hand signed and numbered one. I just need it for my inner man child.

Nice, the price dropped back down to £17.85 on amazon UK! 65 pence per game is a bargain!

Ummm GoldenEye?? ...only their biggest hit ever.

They'd have a hard time getting that game back out there, what with another company owning the bond game rights now.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
It really sucks that Goldeneye N64 might forever be stuck in license holding limbo. If any game deserves a faithful HD remake that one does.

Does anyone have a summary of what's going on/went on at the panel? I'm searching for live tweets and I'm not finding anything terribly significant news-wise being posted by attendees.

I do want to see this opening of Rare Replay that is being shown there.

Does anyone have a summary of what's going on/went on at the panel? I'm searching for live tweets and I'm not finding anything terribly significant news-wise being posted by attendees.

I do want to see this opening of Rare Replay that is being shown there.
I've only found people taking pictures with Captain Bones.

It already happened , was mostly Q&A but was fun and we saw a video of a rare collection sing along

They also gave out posters and foam battletoad x banjo hands lol

SDCC Rare Exclusives
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/08/rare-replay-battletoads-vinyl-comic-con

BATTLETOADS-SDCC-02.jpg

BATTLETOADS-SDCC-04.jpg

BATTLETOADS-SDCC-01.jpg

This looks so cool.

Any good info worth sharing from the Q&A?

Not really , someone asked about banjo threeie and they said no comment / "we are working on our current project "
Someone asked who's the boss - banjo or kazooie
Was a mix of silly and thanks for making my childhood stuff

I was gonna ask about games not included but the Q&A ended before I could , wish someone asked that.

Vinyl x poster is one per person , would have tried to help out some of you guys :(

Not really , someone asked about banjo threeie and they said no comment / "we are working on our current project "
Someone asked who's the boss - banjo or kazooie
Was a mix of silly and thanks for making my childhood stuff

I was gonna ask about games not included but the Q&A ended before I could , wish someone asked that.

Vinyl x poster is one per person , would have tried to help out some of you guys :(

Thanks for the info!

daTRUballin

If I were the Xbox boss I would order a new Banjo to be made, because I'm a Banjo fan. The actual Microsoft is a Battletoads fan though...

You can't just force Rare to make Banjo just because you're a Banjo fan. That's just not right. If Rare would be forced to make Banjo, it won't turn out great.

Zemm

Do we know how these will run? Like they did before, I.e conker between 10-20fps or will they be a bit better than that? I don't even have an xbone but am excited for this collection :eek:

daTRUballin

It already happened , was mostly Q&A but was fun and we saw a video of a rare collection sing along

They also gave out posters and foam battletoad x banjo hands lol

What kind of people from Rare were there? Were there only people who are employed at Rare currently, or were there former employees as well?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You can't just force Rare to make Banjo just because you're a Banjo fan. That's just not right. If Rare would be forced to make Banjo, it won't turn out great.
I'm quite confident I could find some people willing to make a Banjo - and in case something was not turning out great, I'd still prepare some teatables...

daTRUballin

I'm quite confident I could find some people willing to make a Banjo - and in case something was not turning out great, I'd still prepare some teatables...

I don't really think you'll be able to find anybody besides Rare or Playtonic that can make a great Banjo game. It just won't feel the same.

What kind of people from Rare were there? Were there only people who are employed at Rare currently, or were there former employees as well?

I took a pic but and will upload it later, I'm awful with names sorry :( but it was the main head of the company , the voice of berry x she's one of the main animators and two other guys

Can you describe any of the words from this sing-a-long.?

I'm really curious about this song.

I think they said it'll make it into the rare compilation but it pretty had every major character singing a lyric that matched or rhymed their name or respective game
Was cool

I took a pic but and will upload it later, I'm awful with names sorry :( but it was the main head of the company , the voice of berry x she's one of the main animators and two other guys

I think they said it'll make it into the rare compilation but it pretty had every major character singing a lyric that matched or rhymed their name or respective game
Was cool
Thanks for the updates!

People I know that were there:
Craig Duncan - Studio Head
Gregg Mayles - Game Designer
Louise O'Connor - Artist, Animator and Voice Actress
Ryan Stevenson - Art Director

daTRUballin

Was cool

Thanks for the reply! :p

BriGuy

Do we know how these will run? Like they did before, I.e conker between 10-20fps or will they be a bit better than that? I don't even have an xbone but am excited for this collection :eek:

It would be nice, but I doubt it. Rare's early 3D games took slow down into account for some of their level design. For all I know, they might be impossible in some sections if they ran at 60fps.

Not trying to pour salt in the wound but the line for the battletoads record x rare poster set were empty after 50 people and I assume it's 100 records per day for 3 days since there are only 300 records
I tried to buy more after the lines were all gone for you guys since the vendor was just sitting bored but she wouldn't let me :/

I saw some guy pay random people $10 to pick up extra records lol

Not trying to pour salt in the wound but the line for the battletoads record x rare poster set were empty after 50 people and I assume it's 100 records per day for 3 days since there are only 300 records
I tried to buy more after the lines were all gone for you guys since the vendor was just sitting bored but she wouldn't let me :/

I saw some guy pay random people $10 to pick up extra records lol

arg.. I want one of those records so bad. Wonder how much people are going to put them up for on ebay.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Played a bit today - all the 8-bit computer games are Spectrum ports which is rad. Although I was hoping or Imhotep. Also the analog stick works AMAZINGLY well on the isometric 8 bit stuff. I forgot how terrible my Kempston Pro joystic really was, basically not knowing any better in the early 80s.

The dev chatted to me for a bit, about games I reviewed for magazines....BEFORE HE WAS BORN.

WAT

Image quality on the N64 stuff is deceptive, because you're like, "Hey these don't look nearly as blurry as I remember!" but then you're like "Oh, wait...." But it's nice to see stuff like Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini really sharp looking. I'd love to see them side by side.

The Flash

Banned
Played a bit today - all the 8-bit computer games are Spectrum ports which is rad. Although I was hoping or Imhotep. Also the analog stick works AMAZINGLY well on the isometric 8 bit stuff. I forgot how terrible my Kempston Pro joystic really was, basically not knowing any better in the early 80s.

The dev chatted to me for a bit, about games I reviewed for magazines....BEFORE HE WAS BORN.

WAT

I listened to a podcast a couple of days ago about the British gaming industry back then. Pretty interesting stuff. Lot of people back then thought Ultimate Play the Game had just disappeared off the face of the earth when in reality they were making games for Nintendo. You guys sure loved your micro computers.

Stinkles

I listened to a podcast a couple of days ago about the British gaming industry back then. Pretty interesting stuff. Lot of people back then thought Ultimate Play the Game had just disappeared off the face of the earth when in reality they were making games for Nintendo. You guys sure loved your micro computers.

A lot of kids knew about "Rare: Coin-It" (also one of the only reasons anyone outside of crossword enthusiasts ever heard of the town, Ashby-De-La-Zouch") and it was weird because they were enjoying all this success in Japan and America with Wizards and Warriors and RC Pro Am, and we didn't have NES until Mattel released it in the UK, and they weren't fully committed to it so it was weirdly hard to find at first.

Eventually a company, kind of a middleman company was formed called "NESI" just to distribute and support it.

It got a bit more normalized when the SNES launched. The UK got the Japanese (Super Famicom) design, because as we drank our tea, we'd scoff over our monocles at the HORRIFIC purple brick the US got.

The Flash

Banned
A lot of kids knew about "Rare: Coin-It" (also one of the only reasons anyone outside of crossword enthusiasts ever heard of the town, Ashby-De-La-Zouch") and it was weird because they were enjoying all this success in Japan and America with Wizards and Warriors and RC Pro Am, and we didn't have NES until Mattel released it in the UK, and they weren't fully committed to it so it was weirdly hard to find at first.

Eventually a company, kind of a middleman company was formed called "NESI" just to distribute and support it.

It got a bit more normalized when the SNES launched. The UK got the Japanese (Super Famicom) design, because as we drank our tea, we'd scoff over our monocles at the HORRIFIC purple brick the US got.

Hey man, purple's a cool color...

They did mention that Mattel was awful at distributing the NES. Even mentioned that there was company that was specifically set up to import American games and "appropriate" them to the UK market. US Gold I think they were called.

daTRUballin

They did mention that Mattel was awful at distributing the NES. Even mentioned that there was company that was specifically set up to import American games and "appropriate" them to the UK market. US Gold I think they were called.

Didn't Rare actually sell the Ultimate Play The Game label to US Gold? Then after that, they named themselves Rare.

Stinkles

US Gold was a really useful publisher - meant we got stuff like Epyx Summer/Winter Games and so on, usually not long after the US releases. As a result they were one of the biggest publishers.

We also had Ocean which licensed basically every single movie, regardless of whether it should be a game or not, and Elite, which would port more obscure coin-ops, like SNK stuff.

WAT

Image quality on the N64 stuff is deceptive, because you're like, "Hey these don't look nearly as blurry as I remember!" but then you're like "Oh, wait...." But it's nice to see stuff like Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini really sharp looking. I'd love to see them side by side.

Any chance you got to play Conker? If so was it in widescreen?

The Flash

Banned
US Gold was a really useful publisher - meant we got stuff like Epyx Summer/Winter Games and so on, usually not long after the US releases. As a result they were one of the biggest publishers.

We also had Ocean which licensed basically every single movie, regardless of whether it should be a game or not, and Elite, which would port more obscure coin-ops, like SNK stuff.

You should go pull some strings and have the Atari: Game Over guys do a UK documentary. Pit Molyneanux, Moore, and the Stamper Bros. against each other to see who gets hosting privileges.

Top Bottom