• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare The Lion King recording booth footage shows Scar at work

Link.

By now, you know every lyric to the songs from The Lion King, but there are still new discoveries to unearth when it comes to the music of the 1994 Oscar-winning movie. Case in point: This never-before-seen footage from inside the recording booth, many moons (and rising suns) ago, when the film’s actors were first laying down their vocal tracks.

EW has an exclusive clip featuring the movie’s voice cast recording “Be Prepared,” the seminal villain song-slash-rallying cry sung by Scar (Jeremy Irons) and his hyena cronies (Whoopi Goldberg, Cheech Marin, and Jim Cummings). Certainly, this isn’t the first time we’ve glimpsed the making of the classic movie over the years, but particularly with the delicious fun of “Be Prepared,” it’s a marvel to see people like Irons and Goldberg recording the very lines and lyrics that would transcend into animation history.

Prepare yourself, by the way, for a fun bonus appearance by James Earl Jones as Mufasa — a cameo that should renew your excitement for Jon Favreau’s upcoming remake (in which Jones will once again reprise his role as the late master of the savannah).

The Lion King, in its Walt Disney Signature Collection release, is available digitally on Aug. 15 and on Blu-ray Aug. 29.

Sephzilla

the take away i have from this is that they got Jones back to be Mufasa but apparently couldn't get Irons back for Scar

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I was wondering why this suddenly popped up now but I noticed in the article that the movie is being re-released on Blu-Ray.

I've been tempted to start picking up the Signature Collection BRs. I think it's just Snow White, Pinocchio, Bambi, and B&tB so far.

I'll probably pass on Lion King though. Always thought it was fairly bleh.

Wasn't Irons unable to sing well enough and they had to bring in another voice actor to sing for him?

Irons sung Be Prepared until the line "YOU WON'T GET A SNIFF WITHOUT ME", which threw his voice and left him unable to complete the rest of the song on schedule, so they got Jim Cummings to do the rest.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
the take away i have from this is that they got Jones back to be Mufasa but apparently couldn't get Irons back for Scar

Because Scar is a much bigger part than Mufasa and given that "live action' is kind of a stretch with this project, at some point you have to change all the voice actors so it doesn't end up being the same thing as the cartoon.

Hugh Jackman is doing Scar now, no? Thought that was announced at D23 alongside the Aladdin casting?

Jackman is a good choice, personally, even if Irons could still do it.

That was a nice watch. Was hoping to see the moment where Jeremy irons scream and apparently ruined his throat. This just highlighted the high quality of the original cast so good luck matching that cast.

jett

D-Member
Rewatching the entire Be Prepared sequence makes me realize there's no hope for the remake. You can't top Jeremy Irons as Scar. Probably gonna be another BATB-tier mediocrity anyway. The Jungle Book had the advantage of being based on a second-rate Disney movie, but this is the fucking Lion King.

Should've had James Earl Jones play Scar and recast Mufasa, that would be interesting.
Can JEJ chew the scenery like Irons?

That was a nice watch. Was hoping to see the moment where Jeremy irons scream and apparently ruined his throat. This just highlighted the high quality of the original cast so good luck matching that cast.
I was actually looking for that too! I know that Jim Cummings takes over to sing the rest but I never fully knew which parts were Irons' and which were Cummings'.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Can JEJ chew the scenery like Irons?

Not to mention Jones sounds like he's about to blow a gasket these days when he tries to reach a certain volume (see angry Vader in Rogue One).

I'm surprised they're keeping him for Mufasa.

Thanks to this I realize the only version of this movie I own is the VHS.

And, embarrassingly enough, you'll be buying it after you've purchased Fan4stic..

lg9dEc4.gif

Thor 2..

Lion King is a classic mainly because of Hans Zimmer's score and the voice acting. The remake will not live up to those heights.

jett

D-Member
Not to mention Jones sounds like he's about to blow a gasket these days when he tries to reach a certain volume (see angry Vader in Rogue One).

I'm surprised they're keeping him for Mufasa.

I was gonna bring it up but I didn't want to be too mean lol.

For whatever reasons, he was genuinely awful in Rogue One.

Spinluck

They brought back James Earl Jones but not Jeremy Irons?

Weird. They bother were equally amazing in those roles.

Great, there's a new steelbook or digipak to chose between and neither are outside of the US.

Must not pay a fortune for an import...

hidys

Watch the movie Margin Call. He hams it up in a couple awesome monologue scenes in there that are really fun to watch. He just chews it up.

Do this and then get drunk with friends and watch the Dungeons & Dragons movie and watch Jeremy Irons' most hammed performance ever. The film is terrible but his character is on another level.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom