• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RareWare SNES/N64 Games on Wii U VC Discussion. Which would be possible or not?

Please note. This is not a discussion about when N64 VC is coming to Wii U; merely the fact that when/if it does, which Rare games can come to Wii U VC.

The discussion on RareWare games coming to Nintendo platforms since they were bought by Microsoft has been up for controversy ever since. Hype for RareWare games has been so consistent throughout the years; especially on these forums, and of course my self. Those whom grew up with the NES, SNES, and N64 have had very found memories of Rare games as they were consistent in quality similar to that of those developed truly by Nintendo.

Super Nintendo

Battletoads
Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3
Killer Instinct
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run

Nintendo 64

Killer Instinct Gold
Blast Corps
Goldeneye 007
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo-Kazooie
Jet Force Gemini
Donkey Kong 64
Perfect Dark
Mickey's Speedway USA
Banjo-Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day

Let's start out with Super Nintendo.

Battletoads. I'm not too familar with these series, but it was on other platforms before Rare became a Second Party to Nintendo. I do not know if Rare truly owns the license to these game; but I am assuming they do. Since they might, the license is probably owned by Microsoft now; which means it more than likely would not come to Wii U VC. However; Microsoft through THQ did publish games on the GBA, so technically they could; but highly unlikely.

Verdict: Most likely not.

Donkey Kong Country games were thought to be removed due to licensing issues for unknown reasons when they were removed from the Wii. However they are now back on the Wii and Wii U in Europe and Japan. American & Canada markets seem to still be in a state of flux. It seems that since they have been released in other markets by Nintendo that they will definitely come to America.

Verdict. Yes; with one market left to release in.

Killer Instinct. Keeping this one short. Verdict? No. Microsoft owns the IP and has developed a new Killer Instinct for the Xbox One.

Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run. This one and the N64 version are my favorite baseball games ever. Nintendo still owns the Seattle Mariners as far as I know and since the only real name in the game was Griffey; I don't see why this couldn't happen.

Verdict. Possibly; but most likely not.

Nintendo 64

Killer Instinct Gold. Same as the SNES. No. Never. The arcade versions of the game has been released on Xbox One.

Blast Corps. One of my personal favorite games from Rare. I truly don't know who owns the license to this game. Nintendo published this game, however the Microsoft acquisition has made this one difficult to determine. There's been zero acknowledgement as far as I know from either Microsoft, Rare, or Nintendo on this game. Unfortunately the series is probably dead, but so are a lot of games that come out on VC. Again, the GBA games through THQ has made the scenario difficult to determine.

Verdict? Possible, but most likely not.

Goldeneye 007. In my mind, the best FPS ever made. It was one of the most influentials FPS ever made for consoles. Rumor from years ago that a remake was being made of this game that was going to come out on the Xbox 360; with Nintendo Wii getting the game in its original format on Wii N64 VC. According to the rumor, Iwata prevented this from happening. However; the Wii U throws a wrench in to this. Apparently Iwata blocked it since the N64 VC and the remake on 360 were going to look drastically different in picture quality. With the Wii U, the remake could possibly appear on both due to both systems being HD. The other issue is the James Bond license; however, if the rumor is true about the Wii N64 and 360 remake, maybe it won't be a problem? We all saw the leaked images of Goldeneye 007 on the 360, so it leads more credence that it may not be that big of an issue with the James Bond license.

Verdict? Possibly on Wii U and Xbox One.

[/b]Diddy Kong Racing.[/b] This one is tricky. A "sequel" was released on the Nintendo DS that was published by Nintendo. However the only problem with this game being released is that Banjo and Conker are in this game. Those characters are truly owned by Rare/Microsoft. We've seen with recent Mega Man GBA VC that Capcom edited the ROM to modify a few things. Perhaps Nintendo could do the same? There is another rumor that Diddy Kong Racing is in development for the Wii U as well.

Verdict? Possibly; but with ROM editing.

Banjo-Kazzoie & Banjo-Tooie. Short and sweet. Verdict? No. These games were ported over to the Xbox 360; which might I add, look and play incredibly. I highly recommend anyone who has a 360 to pick up these games. Unfortunately they will never appear on the Wii U.

Jet Force Gemini / Conker's Bad Fury Day. I'm grouping these together because they were both published by Rare. Since they were published by Rare and not Nintendo it means these IPs are now owned by Microsoft. Conker's Bad Fury Day had a remake on the original Xbox which was fantastic. Unfortunately Jet Force Gemini IP is probably dead.

Verdict? No.

Donkey Kong 64. In my mind the worst Rare game they made while with Nintendo. However there are fans of this game out there; including a friend of mine and his son who somehow are obsessed with this game. I don't see a real reason why this game couldn't be released on the Wii U VC. The only thing they would have to do is edit out the arcade games that are hidden inside.

Verdict? Most likely.

Perfect Dark. This IP is wholly owned by Microsoft. A sequel was released on the Xbox 360 along with the updated port of the original. While the sequel has questionably quality, the original ported to the 360 is very well done and in my mind holds up today.

Verdict? No. Never.

Mickey's Speedway Racing For some reason I totally skipped this game; so I would love to see it come out on Wii U VC. I don't think there would be anything inherently to block this game coming out other than Disney denying it for whatever reason.

Verdict? Probably

So there you have it GAF. What do you think? Is this the most reasonable explanation of RareWare games coming to Wii U VC. I would personally love for all of them to come out on the Wii U. However due to licensing, Microsoft buy out, and the state of VC on Wii U; it seems as if most of these games won't see the light of day in its original form on the Wii U.

Probably only their DK games since the IPs are owned by MS, activision (Goldeneye?) and Disney.
You can probably see the DS version of DK racing on the Wii U VC though.

Battletoads won't happen, MS re-trademarked it for Xbox.

And if Goldeneye was going to happen on Nintendo and Xbox, it would have happened on Wii/360

SNES

Battletoads - Never
Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3 - Coming
Killer Instinct - Never
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run - Never

Nintendo 64

Killer Instinct Gold - Never
Blast Corps - Never
Goldeneye 007 - Possible but unlikely
Diddy Kong Racing - Possible but unlikely
Banjo-Kazooie - Never
Jet Force Gemini - Never
Donkey Kong 64 - Not sure why it was never released on Wii
Perfect Dark - Never
Mickey's Speedway USA - Possible but unlikely
Banjo-Tooie - Never
Conker's Bad Fur Day - Never

maxcriden

Mickey's Speedway is highly unlikely given the lack of licensed Disney games on VC to this point.

I wonder why DK 64 won't come. Maybe Nintendo is ashamed of it.

Jamix012

I think this conversation talking only of the Wii U is kind of pointless as the chances of more than 3-4 of these games appearing on that system is almost 0%.

What might be a little more interesting is also considering which of these games could make it to the Xbox One in some form. Jet Force Gemini possibly?

Mickey's Speedway is highly unlikely given the lack of licensed Disney games on VC to this point.

I wonder why DK 64 won't come. Maybe Nintendo is ashamed of it.
There are a ton of licensed PS1 Disney games on PSN, so I don't think Disney is against it.
But maybe they don't see it as enough of a deal to license it?

maxcriden

There are a ton of licensed PS1 Disney games on PSN, so I don't think Disney is against it.
But maybe they don't see it as enough of a deal to license it?

I wonder if it has to do with who holds the licenses for those games. I'm not sure, really. I'd think Disney would've felt it well worth it in the Wii era for N64 VC if they were going to ever find it to be worth it.

Doukou

Wasn't Goldeneye suppose to happen for Wii and 360? I wonder if both parties would look into that despite (guessing) previous negations which ended badly.
Other than that only Donkey Kong has a chance.

sörine

Banned
We're probably just getting the DKC trilogy. Fine by me.

At this point I'm not sure if ANY N64 games will make it to Wii U. :(

Outside of the Donkey Kong games, nothing.

Rare owns all of their original IPs, so they'll never happen. With Goldeneye I believe Rare owns (or at least co-owns) the original game itself, but they no longer have the rights to the 007 license so that's a double whammy. You have a similar situation with expired rights and Rare owning the game (at least partially) with Ken Griffey. That leaves Mickey's Speedway, which is probably the most plausible outside of the DK games, but I still doubt it can or will happen. So we'll say 5% for it, and literal 0% for the rest of the non-DK games.

Timu

SNES

Battletoads - Never
Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3 - Coming
Killer Instinct - Never
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run - Never

Nintendo 64

Killer Instinct Gold - Never
Blast Corps - Never
Goldeneye 007 - Possible but unlikely
Diddy Kong Racing - Possible but unlikely
Banjo-Kazooie - Never
Jet Force Gemini - Never
Donkey Kong 64 - Not sure why it was never released on Wii
Perfect Dark - Never
Mickey's Speedway USA - Possible but unlikely
Banjo-Tooie - Never
Conker's Bad Fur Day - Never
This sounds about right.

sörine

Banned
Outside of the Donkey Kong games, nothing.

Rare owns all of their original IPs, so they'll never happen. With Goldeneye I believe Rare owns (or at least co-owns) the original game itself, but they no longer have the rights to the 007 license so that's a double whammy. You have a similar situation with expired rights and Rare owning the game (at least partially) with Ken Griffey. That leaves Mickey's Speedway, which is probably the most plausible outside of the DK games, but I still doubt it can or will happen. So we'll say 5% for it, and literal 0% for the rest of the non-DK games.
Nintendo directly blocked the Goldeneye HD remake from releasing on XBLA, so there's definitely some stake they own in the game.

Jamix012

I wonder if DK64 is not on VC because of the playable Rare computer game JetPac. Probably not, but still, could be an issue.

G0523

Looking at this list, has there ever been more of a messy situation than when it comes to Rare? Their catalog is unavailable to anyone who owns current Nintendo systems that wants to play them on VC and the selection/output from Microsoft systems has been weak at best. Plus, it gets super messy when it comes to certain games like DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing which use elements from franchises that are now owned by two rival companies. It seems like the only people who get screwed out of wanting to pay/play for any of their old games to use on their new systems is the consumer.

NathanS

DK64 will not be happening. The game's code had a massive bug that for reason no on knows only having the RAM expansion fixed. Nintendo only has the compassed version, and no accuses to the original programmers. And the reason MM was so buggy on the Collector's Edition disc was because getting a even a well coded RAM expansion N64 game working on other hardware was difficult to do, even un compressed code and with the original programmers.

Add to all this that DK64 has a Rare owned game on it that would need to be removed by going into the compressed unsolved bug code and messing with it. Yeah the time and energy if they could do it are far too massive to be worth the trouble.

And since obviously Donkey Kong is a Nintendo IP so modern Rare can't go back to it either. The only way you'll ever play legally it is on an N64.

sörine

Banned
I wonder if DK64 is not on VC because of the playable Rare computer game JetPac. Probably not, but still, could be an issue.
It's probably because it barely runs on a real N64. Super buggy, hard to emulate RSP microcode, Jetpac needing to be removed, probably just too much of a hassle all around to bother with. The game also isn't that well regarded.

For missing 1st party N64 games I'd have rather seen Pilotwings 64 or Excitebike 64 personally. Both those also have potential emulation/rights issues though.

DK64 will not be happening. The game's code had a massive bug that for reason no on knows only having the RAM expansion fixed. Nintendo only has the compassed version, and no accuses to the original programmers. And the reason MM was so buggy on the Collector's Edition disc was because getting a even a well coded RAM expansion N64 game working on other hardware was difficult to do, even un compressed code and with the original programmers.

Add to all this that DK64 has a Rare owned game on it that would need to be removed by going into the compressed unsolved bug code and messing with it. Yeah the time and energy if they could do it are far too massive to be worth the trouble.

And since obviously Donkey Kong is a Nintendo IP so modern Rare can't go back to it either. The only way you'll ever play legally it is on an N64.

MM is on Wii VC. I don't remember it having emulation issues.

Fox Mulder

It's interesting that dkc came back elsewhere.

Either NoA really sucks ass and is holding it for some reason or there's a rights issue in the US.

Removing a game shouldn't be that hard, but who knows with Nintendo. Stuff like a n64 logo had to be changed in the Banjo Kazooie game when they put it on xbla.

sörine;146870129 said:
It had freezing issues on the Gamecube CE. The Wii VC version was fine though.

Didn't MM use the expansion pak? If it did, then it shows that they can emulate it; which means DK 64 wouldn't be a problem from a technical aspect.

NathanS

MM is on Wii VC. I don't remember it having emulation issues.

They fixed it by then, and again, got it wrong the first time even with access to the full uncompressed code, the original programmers and no in-built never solved game breaking bug.

And just to make it fully clear DK64 did not need the expansion pack, the ONLY reason it had it was because it magically solved the game breaking bug, no one even knows why it did that.

DK64 is broken at the code level.

Maybe the can swim through all those hoops to fix a game most people now go: "Why did we ever like this?" but I highly doubt it would make it past cost-benefit analysis..

I just want Donkey Kong 64 on the Wii U and Jet Force Gemini on the Xbox One :(

Oh, and I wouldn't mind Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run on the Wii U as well.

NIGHT-

I just want Donkey Kong 64 on the Wii U and Jet Force Gemini on the Xbox One :(

Oh, and I wouldn't mind Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run on the Wii U as well.

I want dk64 as well, I'll probably pick up a n64 soon to play that and a few other games that won't make it to vc

Top Bottom