• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi 4 released (quad core A72, 1GB/2GB/4GB DDR4, USB 3.0, 4K/60fps HEVC)

God Enel

Seems to handle 64 stuff pretty well. More importantly, Dreamcast emulation is solid on this thing. You can see in the video it's running MvC2 and Crazy Taxi without a problem.

Yesterday I thought about ordering one. Are there good Bluetooth controllers and cases for this thing to buy?

SpiceRacz

Which one do you have? And you can emulate everything up to a Dreamcast?

NT1130H_1.jpg

I've had this one for about 3 or 4 years. Very well made and durable. I've put hundreds of hours on it. I usually hook up my Dualshock 4 if I'm gonna play anything that requires extra shoulder buttons.

I know the RapsberryPi4 can do Dreamcast and most N64 games. I'll probably upgrade just for that. Plus, emulation will only get better on it over time.

You should definitely take the plunge on one if you're interested. It's not a huge financial commitment and it's easy to set up. Plus, you can customize the menus to your liking.

Some people shit on emulation, but there's something to be said for the convenience of a Rpi. One of the things I enjoy most is playing handheld games on the pi. There's something really nice about playing Advance Wars or Pokemon on a TV rather than a tiny screen.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
If you mainly just use it for RetroPie, I wouldn't worry, because the extra RAM won't make the emulators run better.

If you are using it as a desktop PC, then the extra memory will come in handy.
Also handy for those of us running various kinds of servers on them. Might even be handy at work to run the Angular tests that regularly grind my fucking machine to a halt.

Last edited by a moderator:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Emulation is ok, but not great for Dreamcast yet. Maybe when 5 gets launched?!

I kinda want to get some of the 8gb models to use as PCs and a NAS server with my business.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Why the hell do I have to buy one of these? At least HP sells a finished design lol people accepting this is a disrespect.

Enjay

Banned
A classic mini system will accomplish the same thing a raspberry pi would without all the hassle of having to know how to build computer crap or solder anything.

*seeing how the raspberry pi threads like it lol

Bullet Club

Playing a variety of PC games on Raspberry Pi 4 has long been a pipe dream, but not anymore. Thanks to advancements in emulation with box86, open source games with doom 3, or just the ingenuity of some frameworks the situation for running full PC games (even Steam games on a raspberry pi 4 windows 10 like environment) is looking bright for raspberry pi os.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why the hell do I have to buy one of these? At least HP sells a finished design lol people accepting this is a disrespect.
What the fun is this thinking, it's fun not the mention box for it official, it's like 10 bucks. It's from 2 pieces...

Doczu

Hi all!

I'm having an idea to buy a Pi4 to set-up an emulation and movies center in my bedroom. I'm a total Pi noob and i read about all those OS and boots and my head starts hurting. Is it doable and easy to use? So that my wife could switch from emulation to movies in a click or something.

Also which Pi4 to choose? Will 4GB be enough to watch/stream movies at 1080p and play Retropie? Or should i go 8GB?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Hi all!

I'm having an idea to buy a Pi4 to set-up an emulation and movies center in my bedroom. I'm a total Pi noob and i read about all those OS and boots and my head starts hurting. Is it doable and easy to use? So that my wife could switch from emulation to movies in a click or something.

Also which Pi4 to choose? Will 4GB be enough to watch/stream movies at 1080p and play Retropie? Or should i go 8GB?

Off the top of my head I don't think you could easily switch except by swapping the SD card. For a movie box for instance you'll want something like Plex which runs standalone, and for emulation you'll want to use something else, again they're typically standalone. What you could have is two raspis, and have hdmi from each to a splitter into the TV - quite a few splitters these days have remotes.

Doczu

Off the top of my head I don't think you could easily switch except by swapping the SD card. For a movie box for instance you'll want something like Plex which runs standalone, and for emulation you'll want to use something else, again they're typically standalone. What you could have is two raspis, and have hdmi from each to a splitter into the TV - quite a few splitters these days have remotes.
Holy shit i'm barely able to negotiate one Pi with her, two are out of the question 😂
If it's a hassle i'll go with the movie set-up, as that has a higher priority and i'll upgrade later.

Thanks for the anwser.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit i'm barely able to negotiate one Pi with her, two are out of the question 😂
If it's a hassle i'll go with the movie set-up, as that has a higher priority and i'll upgrade later.

Thanks for the anwser.

Re movies - so my setup is as follows:

1. The server. This is a RPi3 running raspian with the plex server installed (there's a repository to make it easy), with a fat hard drive attached. Pro tip: symlink /var/lib/plexmediaserver to the fat drive or your SD card will fill up rapidly with metadata and you'll be fucked. Because I'm a nerd I also have a httpd server running on it with symlinks from web folders to plex library folders so I can just download films/music easily in the browser if I need to, or to give links to friends to get stuff.
2. The client: Another RPi3 running the plex client - a standalone OS (https://www.rasplex.com - basically layers on top of kodi - there are other options)
3. My phone, wife's phone, tablets, etc all have the plex client app so we can play music/film/tv from the plex server anywhere (particularly useful is being able to do this in the car and bluetooth to the car's stereo).

It's fucking amazing.

ReBurn

Gold Member
You don't have to switch USB cards to make this work. It's possible to dual boot a raspberry PI from the same SD card with RetroPie and Kodi images using PINN.

That said, RetroPie also supports Kodi.

Assuming that Kodi is the way OP wants to go.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You don't have to switch USB cards to make this work. It's possible to dual boot a raspberry PI from the same SD card with RetroPie and Kodi images using PINN.

Ah good thinking sir - and Kodi can take a Plex extension which covers that base.

Doczu

Re movies - so my setup is as follows:

LOT'S AND LOT'S OF NERDY STUFF

It's fucking amazing.
mmmmm-yeah-i-know-some-of-these-words.jpg

Ok, gonna need to decode that transmission 😛

Well i'll go whatever way is possible,but good to know dual boot or all in one retro pie is a possibility.

So now just need to onow if the 4GB Pi is enough for 1080p movies and emulation or should i go for the top model

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
mmmmm-yeah-i-know-some-of-these-words.jpg

Ok, gonna need to decode that transmission 😛

Well i'll go whatever way is possible,but good to know dual boot or all in one retro pie is a possibility.

So now just need to onow if the 4GB Pi is enough for 1080p movies and emulation or should i go for the top model
I have the pi 3 and it’s fine for 1080p movies. The 4 has more grunt so that’s not going to be a problem. Re emulation what systems do you plan to emulate?

Top Bottom