• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rat in the wall?

Fushitsusha

Banned
Had the pleasure to wake up to some intense scratching noise by the wall under the window, like a rabid hamster in a cage. Can't be much hollow space under there. Second floor in an apartment complex, brick and concrete building, very chilling outside. What is the possibility of it being a rat seeking refuge? I hit the wall and it didn't seem to care enough to stop chewing and digging a lot of the time.

I don't want this sewer freak coming inside and start pissing and shitting and chewing all over the place.
Material from the outside: Brick wall > space with pipes/insulation (I guess?) > and some kind of wood panel under the window, so 3 layers. Do rats chew through wood? There could be concrete, all the other windows are based on them so not sure about this one being a little different.

For sure it was something alive and it scares me. Hope it's a bird's nest taking shelter from the cold if anything...

Last edited:

nikolino840

I woke up to some kind of scratching noise by the wall under the window, like a hamster in a cage. Can't be much hollow space under there. 2nd floor apartment complex, brick wall, super cold outside. What is the possibility of it being a rat? I hit the wall and it didn't seem to care enough to stop chewing and digging most of the time.

I hope it's a bird's nest taking shelter from the cold if anything... Did anyone deal with something like this?
Yes,but birds walking and doing something on the roof ,i thought a rat too,but never seen poop rats and i even put some rat poison

DESTROYA

It’s more likely a squirrel than a rat but who knows it could be bird 🦅
And yes both can easily chew through wood. If your renting call you landlord to take care of it.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It’s just Rentahamster Rentahamster preparing for some surprise sex
giphy.webp

giphy.webp

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
They can chew through some metals.
True. The question was actually more wondering what the odds are of it chewing through instead of scurrying away back through wherever it came from, like if it would actually bother depending on how it got there. It was a dumb question either way as these resilient bastards are known to chew their way through where they don't belong. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

nush

True. The question was actually more wondering what the odds are of it chewing through instead of scurrying away back through wherever it came from, like if it would actually bother depending on how it got there. It was a dumb question either way as these resilient bastards are known to chew their way through where they don't belong. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

It's unlikley to want to eat through a wall unless it can smell food there.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Tell your landlord? You live in an apartment so he kinda has to take care of that shit?

Fushitsusha

Banned
Tell your landlord? You live in an apartment so he kinda has to take care of that shit?
It's... complicated, but I will have to ask for some guidance. At this point I'm not sure exactly what it is, how it got there, if is even inside, but it sure does sound like something setting up nest.

For now I am keeping attention on it as it's been going on for not that long, but will absolutely discuss it with the "landlord" very soon if it continues. Can't be that uncommon for rats to squeeze themselves into buildings during winter so I hope it fucks off the same direction it came without action needed.

Sad thing is that I was starting to worry about this last year for some reason out of the blue, and then it happens for the first time... just had a feeling with how the neighbourhood (more like this country :messenger_downcast_sweat:) is developing I suppose so nonthing is shocking.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You can kill it but it will end up smelling like shit with poison. Whatever it is.

Fushitsusha

Banned
You can kill it but it will end up smelling like shit with poison. Whatever it is.
That area by the window/wall have always felt a bit cold. I wonder if there's been some damage and something found it's way in there and covered the hole because I don't feel the cold there as much now. Nothing visible from the inside of course.

I'm probably overthinking it...

It's probably a rat.

Search YouTube "anti rat sound 20,000" and play that video all night (if you've got unlimited internet etc) on your phone with screen brightness off laying right next to the place you heard the scratching... after a week or so your place should have a rep and it'll go find somewhere else to jerk off~

...They tend to be outside the house during the day, best to just use the video around sundown until sun up, if you're lucky you should hear them scuttling to piss off pretty soon after you set up the sound. Unless they're tough bastards... Don't use one you yourself can hear, for obvious reasons (skrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee) , the 20,000 hz one should be okay.

Fushitsusha

Banned
...They tend to be outside the house during the day, best to just use the video around sundown until sun up, if you're lucky you should hear them scuttling to piss off pretty soon after you set up the sound. Unless they're tough bastards... Don't use one you yourself can hear, for obvious reasons (skrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee) , the 20,000 hz one should be okay.
You're a life saver, if true.

Son Tofu

Banned
Start pulling appliances away from the wall. Your stove and fridge will probably have some sort of evidence if you have an issue. Especially if its a rat.

Onikaan

Mice?

First hand experience with those little bastards. They sound like elephants when they're raking around in the attic. I have to put traps up there every winter, as they come in look to snuggle up in the insulation.

Get a few conventional traps, pop a little piece of chocolate in them and leave the up against a few walls. See what happens.

lil puff

This is pretty much the way of life where I life.

I can almost tell what time of night the mice have sex in the ceiling, I can almost tell which ones.

One thing that shocked me, when an exterminator came … was how small a hold they could crawl thru.

Fushitsusha

Banned
Urprobablyright Urprobablyright I can't thank you enough, you have saved me tons of time and headache. Immediately when playing the anti-rat music, it froze in its tracks. However, a few seconds later it's as if nothing happened: no effect. I waved the phone around the area where it could be heard and kept hoping for the best. After a while it got boring and thought to leave it playing as planned while away. When returning some time later, the phone had unfortunately went into standby, no idea how long it played while gone, but the good news is that it was dead silent inside the wall. It seems to have been working.

Playing it through the Youtube app now which does not shut off automatically, and plan to play it from the TV for at least 48 hours for good measure after.

Used the Ultimate Extreme Wall Penetration(tm) one as it had different frequencies too.

Last edited:

Ingeniero

Urprobablyright Urprobablyright I can't thank you enough, you have saved me tons of time and headache. Immediately when playing the anti-rat music, it froze in its tracks. However, a few seconds later it's as if nothing happened: no effect. I waved the phone around the area where it could be heard and kept hoping for the best. After a while it got boring and thought to leave it playing as planned while away. When returning some time later, the phone had unfortunately went into standby, no idea how long it played while gone, but the good news is that it was dead silent inside the wall. It seems to have been working.

Playing it through the Youtube app now which does not shut off automatically, and plan to play it from the TV for at least 48 hours for good measure after.

Used the Ultimate Extreme Wall Penetration(tm) one as it had different frequencies too.
I'm glad you solved the problem man....
Technology defeats rats once again.

Score!!!! Very glad to have helped

Top Bottom