• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time preview and screens

Septimus

Super-sampled or not, Insomniac's games tend to have the best anti-aliasing I've encountered this gen. Never seen a single jaggy in R1, R2, or R&C. And the image quality is outstanding. Anyways, definitely day one.

These bullshots are your standard supersampled shots. I'd prefer direct feed, but I tend to save my ire for companies that tweak assets and the lighting model and do other, more deceptive things. (I wont name names.)

dfyb

Banned
brain_stew said:
I wish Sony would stop releasing supersampled bullshots of their first party games. The titles stand out right at the top of the console tree anyway, so be proud of how they really look, no need for this silly tranny surprise shit.
meh - everybody releases supersampled shots -- it's simply a matter of them looking better on the internet. they aren't meant to be technically analyzed. it's not like they're doing what codemasters/epic(gears) do, where they'll use in-game assets but have them heavily touched up (true bullshot) -- calling simple supersampling "bullshot" weakens the term.

Oliver.S

dfyb said:
meh - everybody releases supersampled shots -- it's simply a matter of them looking better on the internet. they aren't meant to be technically analyzed. it's not like they're doing what codemasters/epic(gears) do, where they'll use in-game assets but have them heavily touched up (true bullshot) -- calling simple supersampling "bullshot" weakens the term.
My fault, sorry.

BeeDog

dfyb said:

True, at the very least these screens still give a clear indication on how the actual game will look on your TV. Sorry for derailing this topic with this crap, but anyway, game will still most likely be hella fun. Can't wait!

Psst, Insomniac, add trophies to your old games. :(

dino1980

ratchet_081402_8_640w.jpg

3748234637_f6f8b6c191_o.jpg

They sure have come along way with the graphics.

So... looking at this... did they ever explain why 90% of R2 looked like ass when the same engine can do this?

Did they screw up their schedule or something?

RACF TOD was/is one of my fave ps3 games... cannot wait for this.

BeeDog

Sentry said:
For all those judging the graphics, just watch the new Clank gameplay in HD, and then judge.

Obviously those screens are not gameplay, but are in-engine cutscene type of shots (most of them anyway)..

Good quality, is it from the PressCenter site? What is striking to me with the Ratchet games is the fantastic animation, and I'm glad that it's retained here. :lol At the slug enemies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Septimus said:
Super-sampled or not, Insomniac's games tend to have the best anti-aliasing I've encountered this gen. Never seen a single jaggy in R1, R2, or R&C. And the image quality is outstanding.

Pretty much this. Well, I have seen jaggies, and the IQ isn't as absolutely pristine as super-sampled shots, but they have been clean 'enough' relative to what I expect from this class of hardware.

There have been cases where I've complained about super-sampled screenshots misleading, in cases where games have come out with horrible IQ, but I've never felt cheated by Insomniac's PS3 shots. It might be a different matter if they had really horrible IQ, but they've always been 'clean' in the realistic realtime sense of the word, so they're not the worst offenders by far.

calling simple supersampling "bullshot" weakens the term.

No, these screens are bullshots. (The more deceptive bullshots are bullshit.)
My issue wasnt with that at all, it was with brain_stew singling out Sony for its bullshot practices. But I've seen the GoW3 screens and I was a lurker here during KZ2's prerelease drama.
Now maybe someone can point me in the proper direction, but I have not seen a single fucking direct feed screen from a major title from that other console manufacturer.

Hopefully the graphics are less uneven than Tools of Destruction. Many of the environments in the last game looked like they could have came from a PS2 game.

Anyways, none of this matters if they don't make a fun game this time around. The weapons in Tools of Destruction were totally uninspired.

noah111

Still Alive
BeeDog said:
Good quality, is it from the PressCenter site? What is striking to me with the Ratchet games is the fantastic animation, and I'm glad that it's retained here. :lol At the slug enemies.
I believe so, not sure exacly since a friend sends them to me, im pretty sure it's from that 'locked' PS press center site.

R0nn

Again with the (above) Toy Story level CG bullshit...I swear, some of you people...

It looks gorgeous, but come on. Don't be ridiculous. It might look like Toy Story on some superfluous level, but overall it's nowhere near on the same level.

Want btw.

_RT_

Never played any of this series until Booty.

But that game sold me.

Picked up ToD the second it was on clearance at Target and have been playing it non-stop for two weeks. Such a fun game.

Hobbun

Those graphics look fuckng amazing.

But I am a bit confused. I have Tools of Destruction, and I thought it was the only PS3 installment so far. However, when looking up Crack in Time on Wikipedia, it says this is the third game in the series. First was Tools of Destruction and the second being 'Quest for Booty'.

I looked up Quest for Booty on Wikipedia and it says it was released in NA on 8/21/08. However, I can't find it anywhere. Not on Gamestop's website or even on Amazon. What's the deal? I understand with these R&C games you want to play them in order as they do pick up after one another.

Edit: Oh, looking closer it was only released on PSN.

BeeDog

Hobbun said:
Those graphics look fuckng amazing.

But I am a bit confused. I have Tools of Destruction, and I thought it was the only PS3 installment so far. However, when looking up Crack in Time on Wikipedia, it says this is the third game in the series. First was Tools of Destruction and the second being 'Quest for Booty'.

I looked up Quest for Booty on Wikipedia and it says it was released in NA on 8/21/08. However, I can't find it anywhere. Not on Gamestop's website or even on Amazon. What's the deal? I understand with these R&C games you want to play them in order as they do pick up after one another.

Edit: Oh, looking closer it was only released on PSN.

Quest For Booty was also released on disc here in Europe, so if you care about that stuff, import it.

Hobbun

BeeDog said:
Quest For Booty was also released on disc here in Europe, so if you care about that stuff, import it.

I don't know yet, I might. It's pretty short, though? Only like 5 hours? I may just download it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Day one.
Looks amazing, i like the Insomniac way of :putting a gazillion things on screen... at 60FPS.

BeeDog

Hobbun said:
I don't know yet, I might. It's pretty short, though? Only like 5 hours? I may just download it.

It's not even 5 hours if I remember correctly. Would be a wise choice to simply DL it.

Hobbun

BeeDog said:
It's not even 5 hours if I remember correctly. Would be a wise choice to simply DL it.

Will probably do that. Thanks.

Edit: Anyone know what the DL price is for the NA PS3 for Quest for Booty?

Violater

Looks great, this is IP in which I think Insomniacs engine shines. They should write a separate one for R3 mixed with a little ND and GG tech.

But for ratchet this looks awesome.

JoJo13

Banned
Day 1. Really happy about some of the changes they're making to the gameplay.

Game looks good, too. The engine suits Ratchet better than it does Resistance, IMHO.

This is actually the only game I'm really looking forward to playing this Fall. Don't get me wrong, I want to play the other big releases, I'm just not really hyped for them. I really hope I don't get burned by Insomniac twice.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
JoJo13 said:
Day 1. Really happy about some of the changes they're making to the gameplay.

Game looks good, too. The engine suits Ratchet better than it does Resistance, IMHO.
Engine's nothing to do, the Art team at Insomniac shines with Ratchet games.
In fact,they did a little change at the art direction for this title. I freakin' love it.

Danielsan

Sampled shots or not, it looks fantastic.
And with most high priority games delayed till 2010 I'll definitely will be picking this game up straight away.

I also hope that Insomniac stops working on the Resistance IP. It's bland and boring and I want to see a new and exciting (and colourful) IP from them.

Fersis

mysticstylez said:
Is it wrong to pleasure myself to these pics?
Its NeoGAF, it would be wrong not to! ;)

RefigeKru

Banned
It's a shame we can't have that type of DoF ingame.

But hey, I recently finished ToD and it was amazing to look at so I can't wait to see everything this have to offer since it already looks gorgeous.

Salaadin

This game looks amazing. Between this and Uncharted 2, my PS3 is going to get one hell of a workout this fall.

Cant wait :D

NinjaFusion said:
So... looking at this... did they ever explain why 90% of R2 looked like ass when the same engine can do this?

Resistence 2 tried to be realistic looking. The cartoony look really helps make it easier to get away with alot of things and makes for a more cohesive looking package.

R2's biggest problem was that it was such a mixed bag of visuals, you would have an amazing looking rock, sitting ontop of a muddy texture floor. I remember laughing at one spot in the later swamp level in R2 where you had an awesome textured wall that suddenly met a blurry ps2 era looking wall and it was all one wall. Perhaps with more development time R2 could have been more solid on the visuals, but the whole thing was just really mixed.

R2's problem wasnt muddy textures. Killzone 2 is chalk full of them and it still looked excellent because it had cohesive art direction.
COD4 PS3 had crap textures and it too looked quite good.
Crap textures are to be expected on a system with just over 200 megs of vram, R2's problem was its universally poor art direction.

dfyb said:

Oh, now that's something we can definitely agree on, some of Epic's shots are utterly ridiculous, quite literally using a whole different lighting model, yet still people claimed they were in game. :lol

It was just the "better than Toy Story" and claims that they were realtime that irked me, they're simply not. The biggest reason, is honestly that the game would look spectactular even without all the added supersampling, the IQ in Insomniac's games has been generally quite good this gen. I just feel it takes away from what they've actually achieved is all, the game stands on its own just fine, so be proud of how it really looks.

Again, I'm a IQ whore above all else when it comes to graphics, so people brushing this stuff aside just doesn't wash with me, I personally feel it has a huge imapact on visuals.

Top Bottom