• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends "Definitive Edition" doesn't let you play the Murphy levels in co-op.

I'll wait for further reports, but it looks like something went very very wrong here. Then again, Vita RL was a pioneer in the art of officially announcing feature delays post launch, so maybe this needs to happen for Switch RL to be a truly definitive edition.

I'll wait for further reports, but it looks like something went very very wrong here. Then again, Vita RL was a pioneer in the art of officially announcing feature delays post launch, so maybe this needs to happen for Switch RL to be a truly definitive edition.

Another thing I don't understand is why do they force you to do the Murphy levels twice to get all the lums? Why couldn't that just be an option you can toggle? Ok I appreciate it but why didn't they simply give us an option to use Murphy the way we like (in single player). What they seem to have done is, in single player you are forced to play with Murphy with button controls, and then you have the option to also play the exact same levels with touch controls, which you have to do for 100% completion. And then in multiplayer you can only interact with Murphy in Murphy specific levels and with the A button. Everyone playing is able to do this.

I'd imagine they actually discussed a little how to implement this whole thing, given it's frankly a mess. I don't know how deep the changes between two versions of a Murfy level go. The experience of playing both certainly differs. I would imagine QTE take spoils the touch based one to a degree, the third world comes to mind in particular. I would also imagine that making the two versions of the level to count as the same thing would lead to players completely ignoring one altogether which was something devs wanted to avoid (this is a common theme in gaming nowadays). Cynically, though, they could just need something to mark as new to definitive edition. If you played the game on PS3/4/360/XB1/PC only before, this is definitely the new part.

I'd imagine they actually discussed a little how to implement this whole thing, given it's frankly a mess. I don't know how deep the changes between two versions of a Murfy level go. The experience of playing both certainly differs. I would imagine QTE take spoils the touch based one to a degree, the third world comes to mind in particular. I would also imagine that making the two versions of the level to count as the same thing would lead to players completely ignoring one altogether which was something devs wanted to avoid (this is a common theme in gaming nowadays). Cynically, though, they could just need something to mark as new to definitive edition. If you played the game on PS3/4/360/XB1/PC only before, this is definitely the new part.

And in the middle of it all we lose what was possibly the best multiplayer experience on the Wii U. As is, it feels like I have a very incomplete game let alone a definitive edition. Most of our gaming is done co-op and one of the best and unique ways to enjoy Rayman Legends in co-op is to have one person be the touch screen Murphy while everyone else platforms.

Do you believe theres any chance they can patch it in? Of course it will require two Switch consoles but that didn't stop the Vita. All that has to be done then is the second Switch is docked or put into tabletop mode and multiple players can connect to that one. Now that I've found out they've removed 5 player platforming too makes things even worse. Do they not know the Switch can handle 8 joycons? At least keep the 5 player in there.

I'll give it some time and see what happens when people actually get their hands on the game. If things are not looking good then I might just sell this. It's such a damn shame as it's a fantastic game and portable Kung Foot would have been the bomb, but as things stand they literally removed the best thing about co-op on the console that not only has the "definite version" but is all about multiplayer.

As for the single player, you're right it is a bit of a mess. I don't care really. I see what they've done. They've put in the exact same levels twice thus "adding more content" and reviewers have fell for this saying "Murphy is still there". It's a shame.

It's Ubisoft, which is not the most clear option. With Sega, I would say there's likely no way. With Nintendo, I would expect an official comment very soon, most likely dismissing the idea, but who knows. With, say, Yacht Club, I would be certain they would try. Ubi pulled a post-launch announcement of feature delay on Vita RL (the invasion levels indeed arrived in a patch a few months later for some reason), so it isn't exactly impossible they'll do the same thing here.

So it all really depends on whether that was a last minute feature cut or even a simple glitch that disables access to it while the code is there, or an issue of ambiguous marketing of a mostly uncovered title. If the plan was never to copy Murfy features as they were in the Wii U version, I don't think Ubisoft will bother unless it's a very simple port from Vita code (note that Vita needed to only sync one regular player and Murfy, so they could have taken shortcuts that don't necessarily apply to Switch case; note that if Kung Foot has multiple system play, it could similarly use very specific coding), because frankly not enough people care for them to decide it's worth it. If this is a development problem result one way (game was so glitchy at cart manufacturing time they feared it wouldn't pass cert) or another (someone forgot to hook up a menu), I think it's very likely they'll patch it in. This includes insanely optimistic version of devs realizing they could somehow enhance the feature (for instance, noticing the Pac-Man Vs. setup only when that got announced;
I don't think they would have come up with pointer controls for Murfy now of all times
) and proceeding to skip to the new scope right away.

Frankly though, asking Ubisoft themselves politely when the helpdesk for the game launches isn't the worst idea. (It doesn't appear to have launched here at least...)

Giga Man

They're not fun without co-op, and unfortunately, they are not optional if you want to progress through the game, unless they changed that in this version.

They're not fun without co-op, and unfortunately, they are not optional if you want to progress through the game, unless they changed that in this version.

You have to do them with buttons to progress. The touch ones (exact same levels again) are optional but are needed to collect all lums.

Y7k4A8G.png

So I was just watching an interview about this game from the beginning of the year. He says more multiplayer features after talking about Kung Foot. They've literally added a tournament mode which adds nothing to the game. I mean I've never understood the confusing layout of Kung Foot where you can do 3 v 1 anyway. It looks like you can do 3 v 3. Why not add that to the Switch version?

Anyway, they then remove the Murphy co-op feature and 5 player platforming, despite him saying in the interview Switch is a very social console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22D8qMW6OeI

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can anyone confirm that wireless co-op (like Vita) is not available? I know touch levels aren't available in that mode but it seems like wireless co-op isn't there either. Only in Kung Foot. Just want to make sure before putting up a story.

Yeah, I'm pretty positive co-op using wi-fi isn't available as others have suggested. It really is only an option in Kung Foot.

We have access to three Switches in the house but just one copy of the game. But I still see no option to link multiple Switches in-game other than in Kung Foot.

The back of the case clearly says 4 player local co-op and on the bottom you can see it's 1-4 in TV and tabletop modes but just 1 player in handheld (and naturally for multiplayer Murphy you will need two Switches as one Switch will have your hand obstructing the screen)

This icon on the top right only comes up in Kung Foot Tournament:

So from my observations so far:

- Despite adding a way to connect locally
- Despite already programming multilayer Murphy in the Vita version
- Despite going through the effort of letting us use Murphy in single player

There is no way to use touch screen Murphy in multiplayer. I really hope I'm missing something. :(

This makes it a no buy for me. Hopefully they patch it in.

Digital Foundry:

John looks at Rayman Legends on Switch. Some things have been lost, and some issues have been introduced.

-1080p on Switch like other console releases.
-New content includes tournament mode for Kung Foot and all previously exclusive characters from other systems in one place
-Load screens generally the longest of any platform with the game to date (both via SD card and internal memory) - load times were even 50% faster on Wii U off disc on average. John suspects this is due to the need for decompression as the Switch version only weighs 2.9GB (versus 6.7GB on Wii U and 9GB on PS4).
-Framerate mostly a rock-solid 60fps.
-Asymmetric multiplayer with Murphy now missing - no option to link two Switch systems either where Switch 1 had four players, and Switch 2 had player five as Murphy.

Well there it is. What's the best way to ask Ubisoft for a patch?

Top Bottom