• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Razer closing Ouya store, officially killing the console

CyberPanda

Banned
Online services for Razer’s Ouya and Forge TV services will shut down at the end of June, Razer announced today. The shutdown brings to an end the ambitious, turbulent, and mostly unsuccessful travails of the crowdfunded console for Android video games.

Ouya as a device was discontinued back in 2015, when Razer bought the startup company and merged its content library into Razer’s Forge microconsole ecosystem. While Ouya hung on as a brand name and publisher for Android games, Razer was supporting the online storefront with its Forge TV hardware. Now both are gone.

While the Ouya platform will still be able to play and discover games through the online service until June 25, 2019, after then is more uncertain. Downloaded games may still function after that date if they don’t require an online check-in at launch. “Contact the game developer for confirmation,” Razer says.

Owners of Forge TV and the MadCatz Mojo microconsole (which could play Ouya games and access its storefront) may still connect to the Google Play store and other platforms still in use. After the Ouya and Forge TV services are discontinued, it will be up to developers to shift their games to that or another service to ensure they’re still available and supported on the old hardware.

Ouya began life in 2012 and rode the early enthusiasm for Kickstarter video gaming projects to $8.5 million in crowdfunding, still the ninth-most all time for the decade-old funding platform. The console launched to the public on June 25, 2013 at a price of $99 and sold poorly.

Ouya was supplemented with $25 million in venture capital from 2013 to 2015, and the company’s sale was mainly so those investors could get something back for their money. Razer bought Ouya in June 2015, but it did not acquire the company’s hardware assets. The company later said it would pay about $600,000 that Ouya had left unpaid from its troubled “Free the Games” initiative, an effort to spur exclusive games development for the console which had a number of unintended consequences.

Ouya did have one hit game identified with its platform and brand — Matt Thorson’s TowerFall, which was later ported to PlayStation 4, Windows PC, PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch, the latter coming in 2018.

RIP Lil' Guy.

I will never forget this GOTY:

;_;

sublimit

Banned
Ouyatan+showcase+_8d088e_5266171.png

Ouyatan+showcase+_94f296_5266171.png

Ouyatan+showcase+_0a0517_5266171.png

Ouyatan+showcase+ouyatan+this+is+kind+of+sad_c858bb_5266171.png

Fox Mulder

The Ouya was secretly great at the time. It was a compact way for streaming media with Plex or playing off a HDD with xbmc. it had netflix, youtube, hbogo, and hulu plus with sideloading. It was also a great emulator box up to ps1.

None of the similarly priced boxes at the time like roku or apple tv were able to do all the same things. I only retired it a year later when I got the xb1. I sold it on eBay for $91 since people wanted them for Android dev kits.

People act like it killed their dog, but I avoided the Kickstarter drama by buying it from GameStop.

Stuart360

Even the Ouya was a pos, this news makes me a little sad for some reason, like the end of a shitty era. I still remember DSP's and John Rambos launch coverage, its pretty hilarious.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The Ouya was secretly great at the time. It was a compact way for streaming media with Plex or playing off a HDD with xbmc. it had netflix, youtube, hbogo, and hulu plus with sideloading. It was also a great emulator box up to ps1.
Not really.

Back in 2015 you could get a Raspberry Pi with a lot of emulators that works with a lot of controllers and for less money. Maybe the streaming apps could not work back then with it, but it's not like Ouya was that great to watch anyways...

Kacho

I'll never forget when the CEO was on stage selling the device, pulls it out of a paper bag and says "See this? There's nothing special about this box."

Even the interviewer was like

wvnative

Funny thing is I just bought an NVIDIA SHIELD and couldn't help but think how that is the Ouya we were promised.

Fox Mulder

Not really.

Back in 2015 you could get a Raspberry Pi with a lot of emulators that works with a lot of controllers and for less money. Maybe the streaming apps could not work back then with it, but it's not like Ouya was that great to watch anyways...

Cool input, the raspberry pi people always show up to anything. The Ouya was actually out in stores like Target or Gamestop in 2013 and it was absolutely better than similar products like roku or apple tv.

It's a long dead product as it failed at being a gaming platform and was ran by morons. They didn't even market the media capabilities. I'm just saying it did do something well and I used it daily.

Last edited:
Top Bottom