• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDRAM vs. DDR: So, which is better performance wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vieo

I remember when I was building my current computer (also the first one i've ever built without a barebones kit), I learned about DDR and RDRAM. In doing my research I found many tech forums engaged in heated debates on about which one was better. At the time, all I knew was RDRAM was SUPER expensive.

So, fast forward to the current date. I've seen a lot of advancements with DDR but I haven't heard anyone mention RDRAM in ages. So does this mean DDR came out the victor?

xsarien

daedsiluap
If this were two or three years ago, yeah, you'd go with RDRAM if money were no object. But DDR's come a long way, there's no real reason to go with Rambus anymore. It's really just not worth the expense. (Whereas it was once - maybe - justifiable.)

xsarien

daedsiluap
Doth Togo said:
I have 512 RDRAM in my rig. It's very expensive to upgrade. Am wishing I hadn't gotten it...

Fucking tell me about it. I don't know what I was thinking - or if I was thinking - when I made that call.

DaveH

How about DDRII? I just got a small server with ECC DDR II... AFAIK, it's crazy expensive. But the performance should be good, right?

DaveH said:
How about DDRII? I just got a small server with ECC DDR II... AFAIK, it's crazy expensive. But the performance should be good, right?

Not worth the price, overall system performance may rise about 1 - 2%. In modern PC's 90 - 95% of memory accesses hit cache, so the speed of the main RAM is not that important.

Shompola

Banned
RDRAM has allways been a big joke. Then it was super expensive and latency problems making it also slower than DDR and some cases SDRAM in a lof of cases.

RDRAM = dead. it is no longer manufactured since 2002. so not only is it expensive, but it is hard to find. yeah, ddr won. i also built a computer in 2002 or so using rdram. recently the mobo went bad and i used the p4 processor to build another computer with ddr which i just gave to a friend.

so to all you people who wish to upgrade their rdram, i've got 2 sticks of samsung 256 mb 1066 RDRAM i no longer have a use for. i'll sell it for pretty cheap. PM me if you want to upgrade your comp. first come first serve.

Pimpwerx

RDRAM DID suck at one point. It was the better option for the Pentiums for a while, but it was also expensive. And the performance gains were more about benchmarks than realworld. Then again, that's true in general. Improvements are incremental. Go with DDR. RDRAM is garbage at this point. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom